Men Trapped In Mine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Inspectah Deck
Looks like a couple of guys are trapped in a mine in Virginia

KidX
Link?

KidRock
Doesnt this happen all the time??

BackFire
We're sending our love down the well, DOWWWN THAT WELLLL!

KidX
Originally posted by BackFire
We're sending our love down the well, DOWWWN THAT WELLLL! cool

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by KidX
Link?

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/national/usstatesterritoriesandpossessions/westvirginia/?s=oldest&

Gregory
Trapped in a mine that had caved in
And everyone knows the only ones left
Were Joe and me and Tim
When they broke through to pull us free
The only ones left to tell the tale
Were Joe and me

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go
Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know

Hungry as hell no food to eat
And Joe said that he would sell his soul
For just a piece of meat
Water enough to drink for two
And Joe said to me, I'll have a swig
And then there's some for you

Timothy, Timothy, Joe was looking at you
Timothy, Timothy, God what did we do

I must have blacked out just around then
'Cause the very next thing that I could see
Was the light of the day again
My stomach was full as it could be
And nobody ever got around
To finding Timothy
Timothy...

Captain REX
Greg, that's horrible. eek!

KidX
Originally posted by Gregory
Trapped in a mine that had caved in
And everyone knows the only ones left
Were Joe and me and Tim
When they broke through to pull us free
The only ones left to tell the tale
Were Joe and me

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go
Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know

Hungry as hell no food to eat
And Joe said that he would sell his soul
For just a piece of meat
Water enough to drink for two
And Joe said to me, I'll have a swig
And then there's some for you

Timothy, Timothy, Joe was looking at you
Timothy, Timothy, God what did we do

I must have blacked out just around then
'Cause the very next thing that I could see
Was the light of the day again
My stomach was full as it could be
And nobody ever got around
To finding Timothy
Timothy... sad

Jedi Priestess
Well this is awful, they said earlier that 12 miners were found alive, and they showed the families rejoicing and in the last 10 minutes they annouced that was a mistake and only ONE miner was found alive. How horrible that this misinformation broadcast happened. weep

Imperial_Samura
If the story I just watched on the news is the same as this one then apparently twelve miners where not long ago saved from a US mine collapse.

It looks like they wont have to eat little Tim after all. Although there are legends and myths about how consumption of properly prepared human flesh does amazing things for the eater (think of wendigos) though it's also apparently quite addictive. Kind of like pringles. Once you chop, you just can't stop.

Oh dear, how can they get it THAT wrong? Terrible business, and my post is proved incorrect mere moments after it's typed.

Jedi Priestess
That'd be my Q. I suspect heads are going to roll for that miscue.

Lana
Most likely....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10682163/

Capt_Fantastic
look, I just watched a load of "breaking news flashes" regarding this topic. And, apparently, 11 of the 12 are dead...hence, only one survivor. But, 60 years ago, this was common. I don't understand why this is treated as headline news, or a reason that Bush should be blamed?

Neo_Version 7
But seriously, that's pretty messed-up. I'm not blaming anyone because stuff like that does happen ("miscommunication"wink but I can't imagine how the families reacted. Terrible stuff.

PVS
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Well this is awful, they said earlier that 12 miners were found alive, and they showed the families rejoicing and in the last 10 minutes they annouced that was a mistake and only ONE miner was found alive. How horrible that this misinformation broadcast happened. weep

the media is completely disfunctional. people expect them to
maintain accuracy in politics, and they cant even get this right.
how the HELL can you hear "only one survivor found" and mistake
that for "12 survivors found"

"who cares, just air it"

most of these people are not fit to be side order chefs

Ushgarak
I think they are saying the error is that someone heard someone say that they had found 12 miners, and erroneously assumed this meant 12 miners who were still alive. In fact, most were dead.

But someone is certainly at fault here for trying to get the scoop by spreading that news before any official comment came.

Neo_Version 7
Hey guys, do you think this type of incident could be made into a motion picture in the future or something? I'm just curious because you know how it is these days...

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I think they are saying the error is that someone heard someone say that they had found 12 miners, and erroneously assumed this meant 12 miners who were still alive. In fact, most were dead.

But someone is certainly at fault here for trying to get the scoop by spreading that news before any official comment came.

but thats just it. someone heard someone say something, so they said it and everyone said it.

and nobody checked the official source.

Jedi Priestess
First of all, the media was not to blame for this I don't think. When the president of the company spoke last night he said what happened was that one of the rescue team erroneously reported that 12 were alive and that, the word that these guys were alive came from the actual command center itself. The media basically reported what they were told as they were at the church with the loved ones.

What I would like to know is why it took THREE HOURS for the loved ones to be informed of the mistake when according to the company president they found out the error TWENTY MINUTES later?

PVS
because they were trying to figure out who to kick the blame off to.

botankus
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
What I would like to know is why it took THREE HOURS for the loved ones to be informed of the mistake when according to the company president they found out the error TWENTY MINUTES later?

One word: Lawyers.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
look, I just watched a load of "breaking news flashes" regarding this topic. And, apparently, 11 of the 12 are dead...hence, only one survivor. But, 60 years ago, this was common. I don't understand why this is treated as headline news, or a reason that Bush should be blamed?

Hmmm. Doom and gloom sells it seems, 12 dead or 1200, people will watch if headlines and news flashes are anything to go by - the breaking news that people want to know about. Even better if there are relatives about with their hearts on there sleeves it would appear.

Though I guess with mine cave ins the fact they aren't common any more is a bit of a talking point. Safety standards are higher now for miners then ever before, so when something goes wrong people can stop and say to each other "how did this happen, I thought we were beyond all this." That, and the idea of being buried alive seems to fascinate people, be it in the news or an Edgar Alan Poe short story.

Morning_Glory
i went to bed last night hearing that 12 were alive... but now this morning they are all DEAD!! wtf ...crytissue

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
Hey guys, do you think this type of incident could be made into a motion picture in the future or something? I'm just curious because you know how it is these days...

Probably

Morning_Glory
^ I was thinking that earlier... they do it all the time..especially since one of them lived...so we'll have the whole story

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
^ I was thinking that earlier... they do it all the time..especially since one of them lived...so we'll have the whole story

Or a interview

Morning_Glory
Im sure the guy who survived will be on Oprah / Larry King... all sorts of TV interviews

Gregory
Well I'm sorry--I'm sure this will sound callous--but I don't see what the big deal is. Eleven people dead? More people than that die every day in car crashes alone. I regret their deaths, but it's only the morbidity of the media that's turned this into a national event.

ElectricBugaloo
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Well, look at this post from Think Progress.

So there are 85 deaths in a year. If 12 (or possibly 13) happen at one time, that is big news.

Morning_Glory
ok

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
Well, look at this post from Think Progress.

So there are 85 deaths in a year. If 12 (or possibly 13) happen at one time, that is big news.

I wish I could say I was suprised.

Bardiel13
I first heard about this story on the WBC website. The sickos were praising it as they usually do at times like this. God, I hate them!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.