The Act of Desecration

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Picture in your mind an image of myself going into a historic religious building. It could be a temple, monastary, church, synagogue, or a mosque. Then for some strange reason I commit an act of desacreation inside. Would you find it offensive?

Now, of course this only a scenerio. I'm not going to actually do it. But would you consider my actions to be wrong? Even if there is no such things as gods? Would you say an act of desecration is morally wrong? Even though I'm not offending any god.

Explain...

Shakyamunison
There is a difference between offending God and offending another people. If you walk into a bear's cave and pee on him, he will have you for dinner.

Atlantis001
This is a problem just for you, not the others. Even if God does not exist, is it useful to offend people ? Is there something to gain from that ? It is up for you to decide.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Even if God does not exist, is it useful to offend people ? Is there something to gain from that ?

That's exactly what I ask myself everytime I watch the news about some skinheads trashing and desecrating a synagogue. Their reasons are sometimes "There is NO God in there" or "There will never be any God in there".

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
That's exactly what I ask myself everytime I watch the news about some skinheads trashing and desecrating a synagogue. Their reasons are sometimes "There is NO God in there" or "There will never be any God in there".

Because there is a reason, is not a reason to do anything. big grin

Atlantis001

debbiejo
Honestly you can't insult a god..now really. If people have a problem with desecrating a site, it is sad, because they find some hope in it, though unfounded. I do believe in respect.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Honestly you can't insult a god..now really. If people have a problem with desecrating a site, it is sad, because they find some hope in it, though unfounded. I do believe in respect.

Respect requires giving, and some people do not want to give.

debbiejo
And it's to know who to give to which is everyone, yet to a building, though this hurts others...IMO people are more deserving of uplifting then that of a building.

Yet it still inflames hatred that's why it's done.

AOR
Picture in your mind an image of myself going into a historic religious building. It could be a temple, monastary, church, synagogue, or a mosque. Then for some strange reason I commit an act of desacreation inside. Would you find it offensive?

Now, of course this only a scenerio. I'm not going to actually do it. But would you consider my actions to be wrong? Even if there is no such things as gods? Would you say an act of desecration is morally wrong? Even though I'm not offending any god.

Explain...

Well yes because even if it there is no God you are defilling yourself amongst others. Soiling what is there's not yours. Not only would I find it offensive, but rude and utterly stupid. Regardless of the religion, it is a complete lack of respect towards a people in general, and an offense on that kind of scale is seemingly unforgivable...

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Atlantis001
I would classify that kind of act as wrong not by their philosophical standpoint(if there is one), but by destruction and invasion of property.

Yes, in legal matters that would be a wrong. Now let me throw you a curve ball.....suppose there is a team of Archeologist trying to penetrate an ancient temple were they worship gods....would that be consider a desecration by the followers of the gods? Even though is in favor of learning?

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm, in a modern setting, I wouldn't be offended, per say, as you would have to be committing some wrong against my views or me to offend me - and my religious views at this point in time aren't linked really to temples or Churches. However, I would view it as very wrong, legally, and morally, as it lacks basic respect for people,. Gods are irrelevant in this, they can fight their own battles if they exist, but for the people who worship there, work there, find faith or happiness or hope or whatever, well, it's wrong to spit on such things. Respect and decency are the operative words here.

After all, I believe I am going to be cremated when I eventually shuffle of the mortal coil, but I find people who desecrate cemeteries to be aboslute scum. Pointless, meaningless, insensitive destruction. Same with people who desecrate war memorials.

As to ancient temples, well I study a lot of history, and I know it's important to learn about the past, and in a way it keeps the religion alive. And there is a fundamental difference between some yahoo, or religious fanatic or skin head or whatever destroying a temple or church out of malice or just ignorant destruction and archaeologists and historians who preserve and learn from them in a careful, controlled and hopefully non-damaging manner. And once again, it's down to people. Many ancient religions either no longer exist or have changed vastly - thus most ancient temples have no followers to be offended, in fact, if not for archaeologists the temples would probably end up being destroyed by the crawl of time.

Atlantis001

debbiejo
Touchy subject, like the digging up graves. People don't much like that, and I would think they wouldn't like their site defiled as they would call it. I would find it exciting to uncover history in where ever we can find it. I don't think it would be an easy battle. I think some would rather die instead..Could you imagine digging under the Dome of the Rock?

Shakyamunison
shit

See I just desecrated this thread.

puke

There I go again.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
shit

See I just desecrated this thread.

puke

There I go again.

LOL... now you will have to face the mighty moderators ! They will curse you for 5 generations !

Shakyamunison
horse

Now, even my horse is desecrating this thread.

How about a human sacrifice.

death

Uberking Robert

Explain...

LOL I love the idea of desecrating churches. What I always thought would be really cool would be to break into one at night and take a huge dump in one of the confession booths, then throw the holy water out of the bowl and take a leak in said bowl. That would just be sheer awesome.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Uberking Robert
LOL I love the idea of desecrating churches. What I always thought would be really cool would be to break into one at night and take a huge dump in one of the confession booths, then throw the holy water out of the bowl and take a leak in said bowl. That would just be sheer awesome.

It would also land you in jail, where people like you belong.

Storm
I guess that the preservation of a traditional social order, with certain groups controlling common symbols of authority and other groups remaining as outsiders and/or in positions of subordination, are underlying issues for some acts of desecration.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.