Should Heroes Kill?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlaqChaos
Let's face it; not only does Arkham has a revolving door on it, but so do many other super-criminal holding facilities. If heroes just killed they bad guys, they wouldn't keep popping up later. But then, would the heroes be going to far?

steverules
If they kept killing the bad guys then there would be no one for them to fight so there would be no sence in killing off the bad guy.

roughrider
There's a difference between killing and murder. But some criminals, like the Joker, who is never prosecuted because he's insane, to rack up body counts in the thousands, is begging to be murdered - and Magog did the deed in Kingdom Come.

HigH ScholaR
if the heroes killed bad guys then what the **** will be seperating the good guys from the bad guys.

Arahan
Some bad guys deserve to die. If you kill them then you can save other innocent peoples life.

Jose123
Not all of them. just some.

Otherwise comics would be filled with nothing but anti heros.
Not like I got enough of that with Image and Marvel during the 90's

Arahan
of course not all just the real hardcore mass killing bad guys.

I would kill Norman Osborn that son of a ***** did really everything to destroy Spidey in all ways.

Who else deserves to die?

long pig
No, they shouldn't.

Leave that to the anti-heroes like Punisher or Slade. They're better at it.

The Ion
No

who?-kid
Joker Carnage Thanos Magneto... some of the most "famous" mass murderers who deserve to be executed.

DigiMark007
Anyone who thinks they should kill bad guys would really dig the Authority. That's not really why I like them, but it's part of who they are. They're what the JLA would be if they ever snapped.

I'd disagree, as I'm a proponent of non-violence whenever possible. But reality is seldom black-and-white with these matters. Evil will always exist in one form or another, in our world and in comic worlds where the threats are bigger. But one evil doesn't correct another in my book.

who?-kid
Some people deserve the death penalty... there's no denying that (I think).

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by who?-kid

don't believe in killing either way, less they were demons ofcourse, though yes some should be 'labelled' as being executed or whatever

Originally posted by long pig
No, they shouldn't.

Leave that to the anti-heroes like Punisher or Slade. They're better at it.

yep basically i agree, i mean thats whay they have anti heroes in the first place.............and why the authorities/police are after them in the first place.

DigiMark007

Well, to play devil's advocate here, yes there definitely is denying that. A quick look at all the right-to-life groups in any country with the death penalty is enough to realize that not everyone shares that opinion.

My admission that reality is rarely clear cut keeps me from saying something like "We should never kill". I don't believe in too many moral absolutes like that. But I also think it's prudent to say that while any other option remains viable, killing should be avoided. But that's my take.

willRules
well forgive me for taking the moral high ground but I felt somebody should.

The world isn't as black and white as we would like it to be. true
We sometimes make things overcomplicated when we don't need to. true

I think that if someone killed a killer, what have they become? A killer themselves. There is no difference between them and the person they killed. They have degraded themselves to the level of a killer. they themselves have committed the act and become what they sought to destroy.

Killing doesn't even solve the problem. It means you have become the villain and taken their place. Punisher, Wolverine et etc are bad guys IMO. They are villains.

They have not paid the price for the lives they have taken.

People may argue that not killing the villain might mean the villain will kill others and that the death of the others will be on your head. I disagree, for saving the villains life, the hero should take comfort in the fact that the villain owes them their life. The villain not has not only numerous deaths on their head but the fact they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the hero.

In conclusion, I can only say that I believe that killing of any sort results in the degrading of oneself and the creation of a killer in themselves.

HigH ScholaR
That is what i'm saying but with less words

redcaped
I was judged once so let me judge yours. This thread is 50/50 belonging here "the one with power or authority is the one to move" so unfair. Anyway, my major weapon is patient. The rule here better than f police is simple "respect to be respected" do not impose your will, keep your distance and eyes open, then the world would be safe for decades to come. That is the true way of the hero. The enemy destroys itself so my own enemy.

manjaro
in the second arc of batman(little after we found out who the red hood was) black mask was running around dressed like bats and cuasing trouble both he and bats had a run in with the joker....skip skip ahead. when the joker finally got cuaght they showed him on the news and he apologized to the public for not having racked up a big enuff body count, but he promised to do better next time... if that guy doesnt deserve to die I dont know who the hell does.

bats had the opprtunity to get rid of all of them since no mans land but he stood back and watched them kill hundreds of ppl and did nothing, third raters like zzzazz should have been put away long ages ago cuz he's not one of those that can reform. so i say the heroes should kill all of them. as many as they can. is not like spiderman who has a small amount of villains in his rogues gallery, who by and large arent really stone cold killers anyway. bats literally has dozens to choose from.

personally IM not with that "if you kill you are no better than they are" bullshit. what would you call a police officer who kills a wanted murderer in the process? you would say he's no better?. i say kill all of them, if not like somebdy says let the anti heroes do itbig grin

HigH ScholaR
Well thay could always send them to that prison where Thanis went or just get Thor to put then ib abother dimension, calll on a cosmic like Sersi ir Silver surfer to change them into butterflys literally or send them to Doctor Strange.

roughrider
Originally posted by willRules
well forgive me for taking the moral high ground but I felt somebody should.

The world isn't as black and white as we would like it to be. true
We sometimes make things overcomplicated when we don't need to. true

I think that if someone killed a killer, what have they become? A killer themselves. There is no difference between them and the person they killed. They have degraded themselves to the level of a killer. they themselves have committed the act and become what they sought to destroy.

Killing doesn't even solve the problem. It means you have become the villain and taken their place. Punisher, Wolverine et etc are bad guys IMO. They are villains.

They have not paid the price for the lives they have taken.

People may argue that not killing the villain might mean the villain will kill others and that the death of the others will be on your head. I disagree, for saving the villains life, the hero should take comfort in the fact that the villain owes them their life. The villain not has not only numerous deaths on their head but the fact they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the hero.

In conclusion, I can only say that I believe that killing of any sort results in the degrading of oneself and the creation of a killer in themselves.

You say all that and have Deadpool in your avatar? stick out tongue laughing

redcaped
We kill our enemies when we believe we are weak and defenseless so we panic and commit the wrong choice.

HigH ScholaR
Originally posted by roughrider
well actually now if you look ever some closely..i know ita small but if you focus, barely just barely it is The Human Torch

roughrider
Originally posted by HigH ScholaR
well actually now if you look ever some closely..i know ita small but if you focus, barely just barely it is The Human Torch

No it isn't . If you read what I said...I know it's small but if you focus, just barely stick out tongue ...I said Avatar. Not Signature. wink

HigH ScholaR
mad oh yes , yes i see see, just barely though.

LOL no expression wink

roughrider
OK. So, who do we kill next?sniper

The Ion
Well thay could always send them to that prison where Thanis went or just get Thor to put then ib abother dimension, calll on a cosmic like Sersi ir Silver surfer to change them into butterflys literally or send them to Doctor Strange.
Change them to butterflies and you might as well just kill them. That type of stuff just gets you into the morally ambiguous mindwiping stuff DC is dealing with.

HigH ScholaR
Yer that is what i was thinking aswell but if your gaan put them in prison or suspended animation what is the difference really and it is better then killing. To me if heroes began to kill they are no different to the villains they kill.

NoFate007
Not all deserve to die. A man like Victor Fries doesn't. But, when you kill tons and tons of people, I think its safer to kill the villain than to let them kill more people, cause you know they will. Joker for instance. If Batman offed him, he would be doing Gotham one hell of a justice.

Carnage, yes. Firefly, no. Luthor, yes. Magneto, no.

juggy#1
depens the reason if they want to kill

Creshosk
Yer that is what i was thinking aswell but if your gaan put them in prison or suspended animation what is the difference really and it is better then killing. To me if heroes began to kill they are no different to the villains they kill. Prisons and even suspended animation can be escaped. . . the latter needing outside help. . .

roughrider
Why do some think Magneto is a mass murderer up with Joker and Thanos? Is there some event I have forgotten?

The Ion
Magneto is a maniac all the same. I see no problem grouping him with Joker and the like no matter how he tries to disguise his schemes.

Creshosk
Give Mags his own island and he settles down. He's really not aas bad as characters like the Joker.

willRules
Originally posted by manjaro
personally IM not with that "if you kill you are no better than they are" bullshit. what would you call a police officer who kills a wanted murderer in the process? you would say he's no better?. i say kill all of them, if not like somebdy says let the anti heroes do itbig grin

I would say yes, the police officer is no better. Is he going to prison as well? is the Police officer going to be accountable for his crimes? The Police officer has killed, just like the criminal. I see no difference between the two. The police officer made a decision to become what he sought to protect the world from. He is responsible for a persons death.

Originally posted by roughrider

Just cos im a fan of a FICTIONAL character, doesn't mean I agree with his values in real life smile

Juntai
Once you start killing, you're not a hero.

roughrider
If Captain America kills Germans in the course of WW2, does that not make him the heroic icon he should be?

who?-kid
The world isn't as black and white as we would like it to be.
True.

True.

That's only a matter of definition.

Yes there is. A big difference actually.

It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it.

It solves potential future problems.

The villain doesn't care, as soon as he can, he'll murder again.

Those are words. Nothing more. I respect your opinion but it's not as simple as you think.

willRules
Yes there is. A big difference actually.

please explain the difference to me as I would like to know. the only possible difference I see is their original intentions, but both parties ended up killing in the end.

It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it.

says who? you?

It solves potential future problems.

So the end justifys the means does it? What about long term ramifications? Its a way of introducing society to the wonderful world of degrading moral values and increasing violence, by introducing new killers, sugar coated as heroes.

The villain doesn't care, as soon as he can, he'll murder again.

so there is the line. Do we rise above his twisted, depraved emotions and imprison him, or do we cross the line and become just like him, a killer?

Those are words. Nothing more. I respect your opinion but it's not as simple as you think.

Its only as simple as you say so. We as humans have the amazing ability to shift the blame, work or anything hard onto another person. We can do it by over complicating things. We get good at it. Its not a good thing.

steverules
Wolverine kills, spidey has killed so have a number of heros. No matter what a hero is bound to kill someone.

Tron
Killing isn't the best choice in the world, but at some point, there are a small ammount of choices. Maybe Wonder Woman shouldn't have killed Max Lord, maybe so, that's up to opinion. I, personally, think she was right to do so at the time. At that point, he had full control over the most powerful being on the planet, and always would as long as he was alive. Now, I don't know about you, but for some to have power over a living weapon of mass destruction is an extremely frightening thought. At that point, WW made a judgement call. She could've allowed him to live, inprision him, incapacitate him, etc., but that would still leave the very high chance of him escaping and threatening every life in the world with Superman once again. Was what she did right? Can't say, everyone will see their own side of it. But, you can't deny the fact that she may have saved millions with that one act, whether it was right or wrong.

willRules
Originally posted by Tron
Killing isn't the best choice in the world, but at some point, there are a small ammount of choices. Maybe Wonder Woman shouldn't have killed Max Lord, maybe so, that's up to opinion. I, personally, think she was right to do so at the time. At that point, he had full control over the most powerful being on the planet, and always would as long as he was alive. Now, I don't know about you, but for some to have power over a living weapon of mass destruction is an extremely frightening thought. At that point, WW made a judgement call. She could've allowed him to live, inprision him, incapacitate him, etc., but that would still leave the very high chance of him escaping and threatening every life in the world with Superman once again. Was what she did right? Can't say, everyone will see their own side of it. But, you can't deny the fact that she may have saved millions with that one act, whether it was right or wrong.

Thats a good point, but what does she do know? She could be on the verge of a downward spiral into becoming something she tried to prevent.

HigH ScholaR
i believ killing isn't an option not even a lst resort there are many ways to sudus a villain some may be considered harsh or unessary but its beetr then killing. Say for instance PERMANTLY paralysing Villains, or ending them to other dimensions whee only the fittews can survive Like Tartarus, or for instance telepaths insert some next shit into their brains that ****s it up big grin

who?-kid
please explain the difference to me as I would like to know. the only possible difference I see is their original intentions, but both parties ended up killing in the end.
Don't blame me if you can't tell the difference between some psychopath maniac with a hacksaw, eager to mutilate, rape and kill his 7th victim, and a person willing to end that maniacs life in order to make the neighbourhood at least a little bit safer.

No my nanny lol.

Sometimes yes.

That's bollocks. Don't twist my words and don't exaggerate. You make it seem like I want a New Order to rise. Gimme a break will you.

There is no line to cross, there's only reality to face.

Do you think it's honest that so many people are homeless, that thousands of handicapped people can't afford a wheelchair and that many sick people can't afford a health insurance, while at the same time, a cold blooded murderer who would break your neck just for the fun of it, sits in his cell, being fed and kept warm by the government ? In my country the government pays for each convicted criminal at least 25.000 dollars a year...

Putting up with murderers and such is making things complicated.

On an important side note : I am only talking about the crazy guys, the serial killers, the sadists/rapists, mass murderers, certain dictators and such... NOT about a guy who made a mistake and is willing to pay for it, that's a huge difference.

Everyone deserves a second chance. Some "people" however don't....

Tron
Thats a good point, but what does she do know? She could be on the verge of a downward spiral into becoming something she tried to prevent.

What would make you think she would? Just cause she felt she had to kill one, doesn't mean she's gonna go on a killing spree. The first time may have been more than enough for her.

Tron
i believ killing isn't an option not even a lst resort there are many ways to sudus a villain some may be considered harsh or unessary but its beetr then killing. Say for instance PERMANTLY paralysing Villains, or ending them to other dimensions whee only the fittews can survive Like Tartarus, or for instance telepaths insert some next shit into their brains that ****s it up big grin

Maybe, but those could be considered even worse fates than death.

The Ion
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6186/208fp.th.jpg

Once, twice...who's counting? stick out tongue

Tron
Well, you gotta let some things go, she IS an Amazon warrior afterall.wink

jasofisc
first of all some of the heros have so much power that it's unrealistic for them not to kill at least one bad guy. I don't think it should be something that heros do all the time, but it needs to be done every so often. Batman took the same stand point as a few people here and it cost hundreds if not thousands of innocent people their lives. And it didn't matter how many times he went to prison. Their are ways out of every prison or state they could be in. at least death stops them for a little while longer. as for the a killer is a killer comment, that maybe true but not every killer is a murder. A cop that kills some punk at a supermarket that is shoting at him is protecting himself and others. When the guy dies the cop may be a killer but at least some little girl gets to live because a murder was stop before he was able to murder her.

NoFate007
Originally posted by jasofisc
first of all some of the heros have so much power that it's unrealistic for them not to kill at least one bad guy. I don't think it should be something that heros do all the time, but it needs to be done every so often. Batman took the same stand point as a few people here and it cost hundreds if not thousands of innocent people their lives. And it didn't matter how many times he went to prison. Their are ways out of every prison or state they could be in. at least death stops them for a little while longer. as for the a killer is a killer comment, that maybe true but not every killer is a murder. A cop that kills some punk at a supermarket that is shoting at him is protecting himself and others. When the guy dies the cop may be a killer but at least some little girl gets to live because a murder was stop before he was able to murder her.

That's how I see it. Superheroes should take the position of cops. They will try their best not to have to resort to that, but if need be, they'll do the deed in order for the better good. It always surprised me though that Superman was allowed to kill lots of alien creatures many times, but never does it to Luthor. Does the fact that they're aliens mean they don't have civilized lives on other planets and such? Its the same thing.

But heroes, as much as they should try not to have to kill someone, should partake in the action when they need to. Think about how many people that the villains have killed over the years after they've broken out just after their third release from prisons/asylums...all of those lives could be saved if they were killed. This doesn't even include the first two times they broke out of wherever they were held lol

The Ion
Not their fault they keep breaking out. At the end of day they're just citizens making a citizens arrest. If you helped captured a criminal and turned him/her into the police only for them to break out and go on a shooting spree, should everyone blame you for that?

NoFate007
Superheroes are different than normal citizens though. Normal citizens don't have powers, don't get called upon by the law to take people down, don't have military projects funded to provide a potential strike against them...its definitely not the same thing.

The Ion
Superheroes aren't called upon by the law. They do it at their leisure and can stop anytime they want to. They don't get paid, not all of them. It's not a job.

jasofisc
what about the avengers aren't they like funded or used to be by the UN, aren't the justice league also

willRules
Originally posted by The Ion
Not their fault they keep breaking out. At the end of day they're just citizens making a citizens arrest. If you helped captured a criminal and turned him/her into the police only for them to break out and go on a shooting spree, should everyone blame you for that?

I see your point and I agree yes, superheros aren't to blame

jasofisc
I'm sure the fact that they aren't to blame makes the family of those slatered by the likes of the joker and other psycos feel much better. Your right that superheros are not to blame but it's not like their powerless either, or not responsble.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.