The Last Word.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
I have noticed on this forum, many debates break down into arguments due to the "pride" of the debators concerned. Some members here love to have "the last word".

Am I right or am I wrong?

Who are the worst offenders, I dare you to name them and cite examples if you agree.

smile

Alpha Centauri
Me. There. Whether I agree or not, saved everyone (KD and PVS) the trouble smile.

-AC

KidX
AC.

Oh, damn. stick out tongue

Sir Whirlysplat
Ah...... but AC debates would not be as funny if PVS did not also like the last word (no offence meant by this PVS) you I hope cannot deny you also like the last word.

Alpha Centauri
Ha! Snooze/Lose.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Antagonistic thread.

Let it go.

Please.

Hate-filled threads are unnecessary.

Aren't they?

Come on now, people.

Etc.

Sir Whirlysplat
Truly this thread is more humourous than hate filled VVD, I think both previously mentioned acknowledge that they do this as do I. I think Whob does it, I think Capt F does sometimes, although less often. I think I have mentioned the worst offenders, oh and Deano on anything conspiratorial.

PVS
i think 'instigative' would be a better word

Alpha Centauri
Any attempt to explain reasoning behind it will only result in more retorts about how "You always need the last word." Ironically by people who want the last word.

It's pointless.

-AC

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Any attempt to explain reasoning behind it will only result in more retorts about how "You always need the last word." Ironically by people who want the last word.

It's pointless.

-AC

Agreed, the irony of this thread is obvious smile As ever AC you get the point.

PVS
the irony here is that i havent adressed the person who has proceeded to migrate their jabs at me to another thread messed until now that is...DOH!!!

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by PVS
the irony here is that i havent adressed the person who has proceeded to migrate their jabs at me to another thread messed until now that is...DOH!!!

smile

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Truly this thread is more humourous than hate filled VVD, I think both previously mentioned acknowledge that they do this as do I. I think Whob does it, I think Capt F does sometimes, although less often. I think I have mentioned the worst offenders, oh and Deano on anything conspiratorial.

I knew that would be missed.

Although I might now utilise the technique in future if it's not noticeable.

Sir Whirlysplat
smile

Whoops... I forgot a word.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I knew that would be missed.

Although I might now utilise the technique in future if it's not noticeable.

excellent plan smile

BackFire
Getting the last word is pointless in a debate and often leads to irrelevent redundant discussion that's more about ego then the topic at hand.

*closes thread to get the last word*

PVS
NOPE!!!! eek!

Victor Von Doom
excellent plan smile

Fine.

Unless it's subsequently noticed.

Cause then I'd look silly.

Kind of thing that you don't think will ever happen to you.

Only others.

Foolish people.

Fin.

PVS
I GET THE LAST WORD stick out tongue

WrathfulDwarf
Really I wish people would stop taking discussions as it was a marathon race. It doesn't matter who wins or who looks impressive. Is just about having a discussion. The world is not going to change no matter what we say....really....

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Really I wish people would stop taking discussions as it was a marathon race. It doesn't matter who wins or who looks impressive. Is just about having a discussion. The world is not going to change no matter what we say....really....

WindDancer you have become confused half the man you were.

WrathfulDwarf
Windancer you have become confused half the man you were.

lol! finally someone made a gag about my name change. stick out tongue

Imperial_Samura
I'm pretty sure I can say I don't do that. Though knowing my luck the thread will die as soon as I post, and this will be the last word (so someone post at least once more!)

It seems to happen sometimes, I don't know why.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
lol! finally someone made a gag about my name change. stick out tongue

thats not the half of it, I will come up with some more shortly

Victor Von Doom
Whirly, why don't you scientifcally assess the Last Word Principle, as it is known (to me).

Sir Whirlysplat
Whirly, why don't you scientifcally assess the Last Word Principle, as it is known (to me).

hmmm I might do this smile

KharmaDog
ZYMURGY - a branch of applied chemistry that deals with fermantation process

That is the last word...

in the dictionary.

Victor Von Doom
Zzz.

Deano
oh and Deano on anything conspiratorial.

you son of a *****

big grin

Sir Whirlysplat
Zzz.

is not a word smile

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Deano
you son of a *****

big grin

Sorry mate embarrasment

debbiejo
is not a word smile It is if you're sleeping in church, so I've heard.

Victor Von Doom
is not a word smile

See, what I did, was imply that I found it boring, while at the same time...

Nevermind.

debbiejo
blink

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by debbiejo
It is if you're sleeping in church, so I've heard.

Sleeping in a Church eh? I wonder what that's like. Hard stone floors, tortured statues looking down. Drafts, echoes. Sounds like the perfect place for a slumber party.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Sleeping in a Church eh? I wonder what that's like. Hard stone floors, tortured statues looking down. Drafts, echoes. Sounds like the perfect place for a slumber party. I can do it with my eyes open... laughing out loud

Imperial_Samura
I can do it with my eyes open... laughing out loud

Sleep in a Church, or have a slumber party? A bit like a dolphin eh, they sleep with one eye open.

Sometimes I notice the real last word in a thread can come quite few posts before the actual end of it, where the posting stops. This usually seems to happen when someone makes a really good post that it quite comprehensive and final, only to have someone question it, sometimes with little validity - as a result the same information comes again and again till people just... stop.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The last word is the one that exists after the penultimate one. In this case, the last word would be this one that I'm typing now...So, I guess 'now' would appear to be the last word, unless I stop on a different last word this time. See, that time the last word was 'time', however it's not even the last word because I haven't stopped typing yet. Who knows if I ever will? I seem to be content to continue and contine with little, or no point in sight...Unless, you take this whole post to be a demonstration of how some of our beloved members view a 'victory' of the debating kind. It would appear that redundant banality is the modus operandi of many a ruffled-feathered friend...

So, from the Alpha to the Omega, it seems the last word is Floo's...Or not, because here I go continuing with this garbage yet again. Last word.

debbiejo
Generally it's an ego thingie.

Last word. big grin

Imperial_Samura
Word! Whatever that means.

Oops. Last word.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Word! Whatever that means.

Oops. Last word.
The last word mean truly nothing if not accompanied by some thought or meaning...

OH last word.. eek!

Jedi Priestess
word

Hit_and_Miss
problem arises from people not being able to counter a statement, So instead of dealing with the point, They just post.... As just posting can hide the post before you... sooner or later, that award winning point has been lost.

The amount of times Points are over looked...

KidX
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
word laughing

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Case in point:

Me:

Them:

You:

Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
problem arises from people not being able to counter a statement, So instead of dealing with the point, They just post.... As just posting can hide the post before you... sooner or later, that award winning point has been lost.

The amount of times Points are over looked...

Ah, the irony!

Mindship
I don't want no last woid, so I expect plenty posts after this one.

Imperial_Samura
I don't think I was trying to make a point.... just using the word word in an exaggerated fashion. Though I will admit there was plenty of dribble involved.

Why? Because word is such an exciting, well.... word.

But I know what your saying Ya Krunk'd Floo wink

Victor Von Doom
And I know what you are saying post smiley here.

overlord
Sir Whirlysplat likes teh controversial thr34ds, doesn't he?

As for 'the last word'.. I see no relevance to it on a discussion forum, I think contributing and clearing stuff up is more satisfying.

Some people treat it as a messageboard anyway where they just leave their opinion without caring about responses.

Alpha Centauri
If someone is in a debate and they aren't doing as good as they'd like to, a common technique is to imply that someone else is trying to have the last word, whilst slyly lacing your post with some relevance that the opponent has every right to reply to. Only to flip it and say "See, can't stop." That's not ego, that's having something to say genuinely. I will stand by the side of anyone who is replying with relevance, against anyone trying that. I don't only speak for myself.

I think this whole "winning" thing is a BS also. It's important to realise though, that in a debate there are sides. If one side is doing better and actually gaining or gained the upper hand, then the other side, logically, is losing. It has nothing to do with WANTING to win. Again I think people just subconsciously don't want to admit that losing in a debate is possible, but simulataneously want to imply that their opponent is trying to win. To believe one is possible means that you must also believe the other is too.

It's a more confusing issue than people give it credit for, but it's also one that many people hypocritically use to their "advantage". Some of the people who use it don't need to, really. Because they're not dumb.

-AC

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by overlord
Sir Whirlysplat likes teh controversial thr34ds, doesn't he?

Does he?

Victor Von Doom
Does he?

You would say that, because you like the last word.

Don't you?

Sir Whirlysplat
You would say that, because you like the last word.

Don't you?

Yes I do smile

debbiejo
Not me though. I have no ego problem.

Alpha Centauri
No, you just have every other one smile.

-AC

debbiejo
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
No, you just have every other one smile.

-AC

You just want the last word......At least my sentences explore other realms of thought....

Sir Whirlysplat
At least my sentences explore other realms of thought....

rolling on floor laughing

debbiejo
Hmmmmm <------last word deep in thought.

Hit_and_Miss
Yer I'm with debbiejo here... for 1 thing I'm absolutely sure that there is such a thing a crystal healing! thats another realm huh??? wink

lol...

debbiejo
After the last word is said, whos to say thoughts are done... Inevitable the last word does not end with the typing of the written word. big grin

Sir Whirlysplat
What?

debbiejo
Huh?

Capt_Fantastic
Does anybody know of a smilie that looks like it's straining really, really hard, and then just explosively shits all over the place? Does that smilie exist? Anybody know?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
In the corridors of time, I've heard of such a smiley, but sometimes words speak louder than pictures. Read dear debbiejo's posts and you should find a 'word painting' that is representative of what you are looking for.

Obviously, this was your point all along, but redundency is something I'm getting rather fond of.

Capt_Fantastic
Actually, I was referring to teh whole thread.

BackFire
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Does anybody know of a smilie that looks like it's straining really, really hard, and then just explosively shits all over the place? Does that smilie exist? Anybody know?

Just take a photo of Rosie O'donnel, should be pretty much the same.

Sir Whirlysplat
Actually, I was referring to teh whole thread.

CF wants the last word. wink

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by BackFire
Just take a photo of Rosie O'donnel, should be pretty much the same.

Indeed. How's Madonna? How's Madonna's baby? How's Madonna? How's Madonna's baby?

Capt_Fantastic
CF wants the last word. wink

And we all know you'll let that happen.

Sir Whirlysplat
And we all know you'll let that happen.

very droll smile

Mindship
bag

PVS

thats actually a cool idea....i think ill make one smile

Sir Whirlysplat
It's a plan then smile

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
thats actually a cool idea....i think ill make one smile

Excellent. I look forward to seeing it "in action".

Sir Whirlysplat

as do I.

Capt_Fantastic
very droll smile

Very troll? What? I couldn't hear you, sorry...

Sir Whirlysplat
Very troll? What? I couldn't hear you, sorry...

smile

Your not a troll CF, most of the time wink

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Actually, I was referring to teh whole thread - apart from your posts, of course.

Thanks, I was nearly going to shit a squirrel for being so offended.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Thanks, I was nearly going to shit a squirrel for being so offended.

LOL

overlord
The last word in a thread usually means that nobody cared anymore. You basically have to assume on your own that everybody felt you got it right (as if it's some kind of conclusion to the thread) but it just doesn't work like that on messageboards.

To assume it in any case still is quite a bad idea though..

(now please let someone post after me because I feel too holy to be contradicting myself now with my 'last word' view)

Sir Whirlysplat
The last word in a thread usually means that nobody cared anymore. You basically have to assume on your own that everybody felt you got it right (as if it's some kind of conclusion to the thread) but it just doesn't work like that on messageboards.

To assume it in any case still is quite a bad idea though..

(now please let someone post after me because I feel too holy to be contradicting myself now with my 'last word' view)

Actually confused some truth in this, there is young Skywalker.

overlord
Actually confused some truth in this, there is young Skywalker. Hurray!
Ha! You didn't expect that from the evil member 'overlord', did you?

Sir Whirlysplat
Hurray!
Ha! You didn't expect that from the evil member 'overlord', did you?

You're not evil, you just want to be heard and have a reputation. That's OK wink

PVS

done big grin

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6790/shitbomb9bs.gif

Deano
very good. david icke would be proud of youbig grin

Mindship
zy'thum, n zythos, beer.] a malt beverage brewed by the ancient Egyptians.

Capt_Fantastic

ahhhhh....

Syren
Originally posted by PVS
done big grin

Fabulous!! laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.