Families of 9/11 Victims Can View Remains?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
Ok something just kinda icky about this in my opinion. no

Alpha Centauri
I agree. I personally wouldn't want to, but some people might I guess.

Also I don't like the word "remains". It sounds so gruesome.

-AC

Jedi Priestess
Im wondering it this means like ashes, or bone fragments or what here. Just too damn creepy for me.

Lana
I'm guessing from how it's talking about climate control and stuff, that it's actual body parts messed

Very morbid, I think.

silver_tears
That's disrespectful imo erm

ElectricBugaloo
everyone needs closure

Imperial_Samura
How utterly bizarre. 9/11 was a terrible event, and it's terrible so many remain unidentified, but aren't the people planning this going a bit odd? A bit abstract? A bit morbid? I can't imagine the victims families finding it a nice tribute.

I mean, at first I thought my goodness, are they meant to take their kids and say "have a good look, one of these unidentified human remains might be your father/mother"? Then I read how they would be stored there, but not visible in the "contemplation" room, where people will get to look at an empty box. I mean, what? I'd expect something symbolic, more of, well, a memorial, at least, for so many people who don't have a grave to visit, to honor, who still might not have that final bit of closure.

I understand the need for the authorities to have access to the "remains", but merging memorial with the scientific, legal side of it all seems a bit unpleasant. And do the victims actually have to be kept on site? They died there, do they have to spend forever there in climate controlled rooms? Entombed in the memorial? How is it comforting to know that the mortal remains of a loved one might be mere feet away, but not laid down in any real way for eternal rest?

Capt_Fantastic
No, that's just ****ed up!

That's all there is to say about it, and I won't accept any other answers!

It's demented.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
No, that's just ****ed up!

That's all there is to say about it, and I won't accept any other answers!

It's demented.

True, true.

It's funny though, the outrage and roaring that went on with the proposed freedom museum, that was meant to honor the fallen, as well as putting 9/11 in a global, historical context - plus inspiring debate and contemplation. As a result it's not going ahead the way planned.

If people are unhappy about this, why didn't they make it known?

Disclosed? It sounds so secretive. I would have thought that this project would be going hand in hand with the public, not left solely to the planners to make, and occasionally let snippets of their plans drift out to the public.

Hit_and_Miss
I don't understand... whos gonner wana look at aload of body parts in plastic bags in freezers???

Its not liike anyones gonner recognize there relatives hand and ID them on the spot!
I really do wonder... What is the point?! They could just put 1 persons remain in the jar, (like the unknown soldier) then it would actually hold some value...

Jedi Priestess
Oh surely its not like the odd hand here or there. blink Can't be.

soleran30
and do you know who runs the whole show....................ex-govt security people that lost their jobs to their inability to provide National Security...............only in America capitalism...smile

(this is only a spoof)

PVS
how could anyone recieve closure by visiting a mountain of charred body parts?
this makes no frikin sense.

Victor Von Doom
It seems to me like some kind of artistic/socio-symbolic gesture, but it seems more relevant (if at all) to people not directly or indirectly involved in the incident.

soleran30
we certainly do love our history here in the USA anytime your in Washington DC check out the Holocaust museum.............although I don't think they kept remains of those fallen sealed away......

overlord
Ah! Something like the undergrounds of Paris with all the walls made out of skulls and that kind of crap!

Just a shame that it's only for the family members of victims.. shifty

Capt_Fantastic
Well, is this monument going to be in teh same location as the world trade center? Because if it is, then that's double dumb ass! Because that's prime real estate in Manhattan, and the land there needs to be used for commercial purposes...just as it was originally. I'm not saying don't put up a monumnet, but a huge facility and underground complex is a waste of precious space, in my opnion.

kimmeh
well you gotta give em this much, the mantra after the bombings was 'never forget' right? well alot of people have gotten upset the past few years saying that it seemed we HAD forgotten.. well if nothing else this DOES get folks talking about it again... for better or worse..

Personally I dont find it morbid.. I dont see how its any different from other mass grave sites from other tragic events.. there is one in Arlington Natl Cemetary from the Civil War that is nothing more than a huge pit filled with arms, legs & other body parts that they couldnt account for.. so after the war they pput them all in one place and buried them together.. why is this such a bad thing??

Jedi Priestess
but can you actually SEE these things?

kimmeh
nope.. not the one in Arlington anyway.. like I said its now nothing more than a mound of dirt & grass.. if you didnt know what you were looking at you'd think it was just a little hill or something..

i'm betting that the remains (and yes I'd bet money that it is infact comprised of severed limbs & other body parts... grisly i know but thats just the fact of what happened.. IMO to ignore it would be a way worse scenario than this is... but thats just me.. it really ought to be up to the victims families as to what is done i think..

Jedi Priestess
icky sick

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.