It finally happened

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

powerfulone1987
I almost made it, but alas it happened.

My original Playstation 2 system, which I've had ever since it came out, went out on me.

I took it too college, it was located right over top the heater and overheated and somehow messed up and ever since then, every once in a while, it wouldn't read my game discs.

Just the other night we had a powre outtage while i was playing a game and it just wouldn't read my games anymore. I tried a bunch of them and out of all the ones i tried, it only read 2 of them.

At first I was convinced it was the game that was messed up so I went the next morning and took it back to a walmart that was very far away and got another one, well they didn't have anymore, so I had to go to an even farther wal mart from there and i got another one. I took it home and it still wouldn't play and I was convinced that the playstation may have damaged the disc, so the next morning i went to another walmart that's even farther away and I exchanged it once again and I also purchased a Playstation 2.
I thought they would ask me if I wanted the thin version or the original, I would have gotten the original, but they jsut gave me a thin one, i think that's all they had, i guess they don't make the big ones anymore.

Anyway, so I get home and Oh my god, this thing is smaller than I imagined. I mean whoa. Compared to the other one, i feel like I just bought "nothing". Something completely different from my original.

And I never though about how it would be different in other ways, like the buttons and how it doesn't completely turn off but goes into standby mode and how the lid pops up and it doesn't have the slide out feature anymore.
I started wondering if the controller and memory card could fit into it.

And it also has that ac adaptor this time. I didn't know what it was for at first.

But yeah, it seems it was the playstation 2 that was the problem and not my game which I returned and purchased 3 times from 3 different walmarts, 3 days in a row. What a long ordeal, and not to mention long drive and what gas it burned.

So yeah, now my original Playstation 2 is boxed up and I'm all set with this imposter of a system.

And to think, just a few more months until the Playstation3 comes out and I'm stuck having to buy a Playstation 2. D@mn that college. I could have done it too, b/c I take good care of my stuff.

This of course will not hamper my plans of getting a Playstation 3 and Nintendo Revolution when they come out.

Is It Comprehensible.....

powerfulone1987
Anybody else had to or have to replace their original Playstation 2 System for any reason? If so what version of the Playstation 2 System did you get and why? Also, what do/did you think about the Thin Playstation 2 System's changes? Were some of the changes unexpected or did you know before you bought it?

is it comprehensible.....

Phat J
your gonna buy the revolution and the ps3 and a few months away from their release you bought another ps2? man you're loaded.

the thin one would probably be more convenient, i dont like the idea of the flip lid. my slide disc thing makes a big ass scraping noise whenever it comes out tho, so its probably better for it.

Punker69
Play Station 2 sucks. Mine crashed on me like a year ago. Its so stupid how you have to clean it.

powerfulone1987
Yeah, towards the in, my sliding thing made a slight vibration sort of noise. Not enough to get worried about but enough for ME to be agitated about because I'm very peculiar about the condition of my things. I can't even throw out my original playstation now because even though it has problems now, it still was a christmas gift i got and it would have lasted and still been good if I hadn't taken it to that cursed college. It didn't mess up on it's own, it's not it's fault. It's that stupid college's fault.
Yeah, yeah, partly my fault for locating it above a heater vent, but I didn't know this would happen.
Anyway, other than that fatal mistake, it would still be working normally today and for a long time to come.

I'm out, night.

Refused
Phhh, my PS2 is the dustiest shit in the world and i don't even clean it and it works fine. I got it a couple of months after launch also. I got lucky that i have a very well made PS2.

But that happened to my SNES and i had to go get another one and this was before i was a well informed gamer so just a year after i purchased the SNES, the N64 came out. sad

Punker69
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Yeah, towards the in, my sliding thing made a slight vibration sort of noise. Not enough to get worried about but enough for ME to be agitated about because I'm very peculiar about the condition of my things. I can't even throw out my original playstation now because even though it has problems now, it still was a christmas gift i got and it would have lasted and still been good if I hadn't taken it to that cursed college. It didn't mess up on it's own, it's not it's fault. It's that stupid college's fault.
Yeah, yeah, partly my fault for locating it above a heater vent, but I didn't know this would happen.
Anyway, other than that fatal mistake, it would still be working normally today and for a long time to come.

I'm out, night.

It would've happened eventually. Trust me.

Phat J
yeah man i never clean my ps2, then again i havent used it in months.

Zen2nd
Doesn't the old PS2 version have that as well?

Grinning Goku
powerfulone, do you have an Xbox 360?

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Punker69
It would've happened eventually. Trust me.
But since the ps3 is coming out soon, it would had least held up into i got the new system. So everything would have been okay b/c i wouldn't have played the playstation 2 system until it messed up on it's own anyway.

Originally posted by Zen2nd
Doesn't the old PS2 version have that as well?

Yes the original playstation2 system has a standby mode but you can also turn it off. Nobody actually kept their playstation 2 in standby mode when they were done playing it, they would cut it off.
But with the thin version, you have no choice, You can't cut it off unless you unplug it, which the manuals suggest if you're not going to play for a long period of time which is ridiculous, so you can't only put it in standby mode and not completely off.

Originally posted by Grinning Goku
powerfulone, do you have an Xbox 360?

No, why?

Phoenix Aska
lol..i have the original xbox the first model and i thought it died on me and i bought a new one like years later just to find out that the plug in the back just became undone somehow..lol.

but i havent had a console die on me yet..damn i still have the original nes lol.

powerfulone1987
What other version of the original xbox is there. Asking because in your statement you say "the original xbox".

And I would still have my NES if it hadn't mysteriously disappeared and my SNES if I hadn't been asked at a young age to give it away. I told my mom later, I was too young to be asked that. It's a decision I deeply regret.
All my games and everything is gone and the SNES was my first system and me and my dad use to play on it together. And Super Mario for the SNES was my first game for it and that's what we played together.

Zen2nd
Except me big grin I never ever switched it off from the back. Plus I'm pretty sure there is many other people who keep it in standby mode.

powerfulone1987
well, i'm guessing not many. Anyway, I prefer an off swithc. I feel like it should be turned completely off and by staying in standby mode, it's over hearting and never getting a chance to cool off and wearing away even faster.

Regardless if this is true or not, it's just how i feel.

Zen2nd
Hmmm well I've had mine since release date and had it on standby everytime its plugged in and I have no problems. Plus I wouldn't think it would over heat unless you kept it under a blanket.

powerfulone1987
well, mine always feels warm, let me check it right now....okay, well i guess i'm only feeling it when i've just done playing with it, b/c it's not actually "warm" right now.

I still don't like it.

Lana
It won't overheat in standby mode.

Shouldn't have put it over the heater, obviously....that'll mess up anything.

We've had our PS2 for 5 years and we only had a problem with it once - when we first got it my brother had it standing up vertical and our sister tripped on the cord and it fell down...as it was still under warranty, we sent it in and they fixed it for free.

powerfulone1987
I am referring to my new thin one now, not my original one that i'm not using now. The original one is the one that the heater messed up.

It was 2 levels above the heater though. And things were underneath it on the bottom shelf so it wasn't directly exposed to the heat.

Phoenix Aska
What other version of the original xbox is there. Asking because in your statement you say "the original xbox".

And I would still have my NES if it hadn't mysteriously disappeared and my SNES if I hadn't been asked at a young age to give it away. I told my mom later, I was too young to be asked that. It's a decision I deeply regret.
All my games and everything is gone and the SNES was my first system and me and my dad use to play on it together. And Super Mario for the SNES was my first game for it and that's what we played together.

well there were 3 versions of the xbox.

The first was the launched xbox that just came with the box and the big controller. A minority of them over-heated because of something to do with the cables.
The second version i think came with an extra S controller I think...and there were lots of complaints about over-heating and one more problem..but i forgot what.
The third model came with an extra controller and crimson skies and now with different games i think..im not too sure and this one is the newest one and works fine.
I dunno..it's hard to explain because it didnt change in shape or size or anything..lol

powerfulone1987
well I wouldn't actually call that different versions then, just that they fixed some launch problems, just like when they fix the 360's launch problems, the fixed ones won't be considered a new version of the 360 nor was it considered this way with any of the other fixed systems when they first came out at launch.

Lana
They ARE called different versions, though. The launch version of the PS2 is not the same as the next version, which isn't the same as the slim version. They're slightly different - main difference being bugs worked out and such.

powerfulone1987
I know that the slim version of the ps2 is a different version.

JKozzy
There are 14 different versions of the PS2.

powerfulone1987
well can you explain that?

JKozzy
This website explains the differences pretty well. It's mainly differences between the structure of the unit itself, and in some cases, parts are changed, such as the main board.

Versions 1-10 were the large ones in the US. Version 11 was Europe exclusive. Versions 12-14 and on are and will be the slimline PS2.

Phoenix Aska
Originally posted by JKozzy
This website explains the differences pretty well. It's mainly differences between the structure of the unit itself, and in some cases, parts are changed, such as the main board.

Versions 1-10 were the large ones in the US. Version 11 was Europe exclusive. Versions 12-14 and on are and will be the slimline PS2.

thank you Jkozzy.

I would never be able to explain the differences...lol

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by JKozzy

thanks.

Phat J
Nobody actually kept their playstation 2 in standby mode when they were done playing it, they would cut it off.

i never turned mine completely off, i dont think it effected anything. leaving it on all night after i watch a movie, i think that would be what slowed mine down.

powerfulone1987
so to leave yalls on standby mode did you cut the switch off and then turn it back on, or could you also just press the button for a few seconds and then it went into standby mode,b/c the only time mine was in standby mode was when i first cut it on and the red light was on, but once the green light was on by me pressing the button, i thought it couldn't go back into standby mode unless you turned the system completely off and back on.

Smasandian
How's it the college's fault for the PS2 breaking down when you put it over a heater?

You should know not to put any electronics like a console or a computer over a heater because it will overheat.

darth_royke
nope, mine is running as fine as it was when i first bought bought it when it came out. you should never keep it nexct to a heater, as most electrical appliances (apart from heaters) can be affected.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Smasandian
How's it the college's fault for the PS2 breaking down when you put it over a heater?

You should know not to put any electronics like a console or a computer over a heater because it will overheat.

I was just being silly cause I don't like my college. I know it's my fault for locating it near the heater.

But it was 2 shelves up above the heater and things were on the bottom shelve. So it was getting direct heat and I so I didn't think it would affect it but I was wrong.

stunna1773
the first 3 months i had my ps2 and it crashed on me

powerfulone1987
lol, that sucks. What happened?

El_NINO
I bought the Max Memory 64Mb card for my games, I did some research and realized 8 Mb is enough for 1 game maybe 2 or 3.

http://www.deafgamers.com/04_05reviews/maxmemory_ps2.htm

powerfulone1987
I don't know what kind of research you've been doing but I have the same memory card that I got when I first got my Playstation 2 and I have not run out of memory yet. All of my saved games thus far have been on only one memory card.

And yes I've played and saved way more than 1,2, or 3 games.

Zen2nd
Hmmm a 8MB memory card should on average hold 10 to 12 games. But as far as I remember Madden '05 or some similar game takes up loads of space.

manny321
Sports game take up sapce.

I had my Ps2 for 1.5 years and it only froze once and that was because someone pressed the open the cover on my slim ps2.

InnerRise
Well....I'm having a problem with my Playstation 2

SO yesterday I put in this bonus disc, which was a DVD that came with the game with behind features.

Everything automatically scrolls to the left and keeps on doing this. Being that I haven't looked at a DVD on my Playstation 2 in ages, I don't know exactly when this started.

So today I go to create some space on my memory card with no game disc in the system and it continues to scroll to the left up to the top.

It's very annoying. SO I think maybe it's my controller so I switch to my brand new controller and it continues to do this. SO I don't know what's the problem.

I thought this may affect my game. But it's not. At first the character would slowly walk to the left, but I don't think it's doing that now. It may be so subtle that I'm not noticing, but it's very unsettling.

And being that the menus in the game I'm playing are vertical and not horizontal, I wouldn't be able to tell anyway, b/c it only scrolls automatically to the left, not up and down automatically.

When I say scrolls to the left automatically, I mean without me touching the controller at all. I just goes over by itself. And when I press the right directional button, it jumps back and forth between left and right and doesn't go over more.

So yeah...

It's so far playing my game just fine and there is a thing in the game where you press the key pads to choose different moves and stuff and that seems to be working. If I choose the right or up or down move it stays there and does go over to the left.

SO I'm confused. I know it's something to do with the system and not the controller or the game. Because I've tried more than one controller and more than one game.

Any insight? advice?

Anata Wa Wakarimasu Ka.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.