what kind of realist/anti-realist are you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Biscuit
Naive realist - you believe that physical objects exist independently of our perception of them (the way we perceive things is the way they are and thats why we perceive them that way)

Representative realist - you believe that physical objects cause us to experience sensations which represent the object to us (we percieve the world indirectly through our senses)

Idealist - you believe that 'to be is to be perceived' (only things which we immediately perceive exist)

Phenomenalist - you believe that 'to be is to be perceivable' (anything which is capable of being perceived at any time can be said to exist)

Shakyamunison
We do not perceive the real world, only the world through the narrow filter of our senses. We can understand the unknown real world by indirect observations and theoretical models, but these are always flawed.

We can never be certain of anything, of this I am certain. laughing

Atlantis001

kingkman
Representative realist

AOR
Originally posted by Biscuit
Naive realist - you believe that physical objects exist independently of our perception of them (the way we perceive things is the way they are and thats why we perceive them that way)

Representative realist - you believe that physical objects cause us to experience sensations which represent the object to us (we percieve the world indirectly through our senses)

Idealist - you believe that 'to be is to be perceived' (only things which we immediately perceive exist)

Phenomenalist - you believe that 'to be is to be perceivable' (anything which is capable of being perceived at any time can be said to exist)

I couldn't answer that question. Even trying now is causing me to contradict myself...

tall_paul
has anyone read that japanese book of 5 rings or whatever? about sword fighting? supposedly the last ring (chapter) is about what doesnt exist and it is totally beyond everyone whos told me about it

Mindship
< surrealist

Atlantis001
Why these threads never get too many replies ?

blackhat
You forgot Knowitallist...I run into some of those every now and then.
Seriously though,
I think that our five senses only pick up a fraction of the world around us. We are not advanced enough to have a sense for everything that there is to be sensed it would blow our puny human minds. There is nothing we know of for sure, even for the Knowitallist.
Everything we think we know.....we THINK we know.

LordFear
well wasn't it Socrates who said that they " I know nothing. That is the one thing I do know"

lil bitchiness
I am not realist at all. I think realism and post-modernism are ideologies whith which i do not identify with.

Atlantis001
Yeah ! Thats right... they are too simple ideologies, for those that are too lazy to think something more deep and more detailed.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Yeah ! Thats right... they are too simple ideologies, for those that are too lazy to think something more deep and more detailed.

When have I said they have simple?!

For one, post-modernism is an extremely complex ideology! Yet I do not find any truth in it. I do not agree with it, and as a sociologist in particular I have the right to disagree with an ideology, especially if I find that criticisms of that ideology are far plausible than the ideology itself.

Same goes for realism - I am not realist - because such ideology does not bring about plausible explanation of the way we perceive world. I am more positivist then i am a realist, and that says something, since positivism, I rarely agree with too.

Second and last, the great thing about your post is implying that I am in any way suggesting simplicity - Realism - as above is ONE ideology. Those are different branches which disagree in particular field, but they all have a common ground which makes every single person who believes in either of those a 'realist'.

Besides, you are evidently unfamiliar with realism if you think that first post is anything but simplicity. Realist use the above examples of perceiving world in explanation of why certain social phenomenon happen.

Descriptions above NEVER, stand by themselves.

Thats like starting a thread on Feminism and asking, ''what kind of feminist are you: Marxist feminist - where you believe in Marxism adn feminism, Radical feminist where you think the whole world of men is against you, functionalist feminist - when you think womens oppression is necessary...etc''

none of these are the ideologies of feminism - they are WAYS in which feminists perceive world - through marxism, functionalism, radicalism, etc.

Same goes for realism, but since you think that first post is how the realist ideology works, I guess I would have to write another 10 pages of explanation why I do not believe realism is a plausible ideology for looking t the world.

Also, i find it extremely rude, arrogant and ignorant when people assume I reply in a thread with no knowledge of what I am writing.

I know what realism is, so please, I would appreciate less sarcasm. If you would like to ask me WHY i do not agree with realism, then I will be more than happy to do so.

Atlantis001

lil bitchiness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.