Elliott Smith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SleaterKinney32
Alright, so I checked to see if there was a thread for this and didn't find one. If there is one, go ahead and delete it.

But I thought I'd start a thread about Elliott Smith. I think he's amazing, possibly one of the greatest songwriters of all time. I just started listening to his XO album, and I can't stop listening to it. I like it a lot more than his self-titled album.

Anyone else a fan of him?

Dr. Strangelove
Big fan of Elliott Smith. Talented guy all around: great soft voice, amazing lyricist, good all around player.

I can only listen to him on occasion, though. His music is really depressing.

-hh-
very depressing music but i enjoy it very much. 'XO' was great.

SleaterKinney32
XO flows so well. I agree with his music being depressing, and the fact that he died probably doesn't help any, but it's still amazing.

Any favorites of his?

Dr. Strangelove
At the moment: Roman Candle and 2:45 am.

ElectricBugaloo
I could have sworn I'd made this thread before...

but anyways, Elliott Smith is my favorite musician, even though I didn't really get into him until after his death.

I think that Either/Or is easily in the top 5 albums of the 90s, and is his best CD.

My favorite song is probably his cover of "Jealous Guy" by John Lennon, but "Everything Reminds Me of Her" is pretty damned good too...

SleaterKinney32
I still have to listen to Either/Or, that's the next album I plan on checking out. His cover of Lennon's song is amazing. In fact, I heard his cover before I heard the original version, and ended up liking Elliott's version more. Haha.

But I'll definitely check out Either/Or for sure. Being in the top five albums of the 90s for you is really saying something.. it must be amazing.

papabeard
Shame he died so early and in such circumstances.

SleaterKinney32
Agreed. Too many great artists die young.

Phat J
my friend jsut got me into him, hes really good. i just got his self titled last night, any suggestions on what i should get next?

Solo
He's really great. An instant favorite of mine.

papabeard
I like Miss Misery, Happiness , Son of Sam, Everything reminds me of her.

Because I can
memory lane? was he the one that did stuff with ben folds.. and isnt he dead, or am i on drugs?

Solo
Yeah, he stabbed himself to death.

I like Christian Brothers, Needle In Hay, The Biggest Lie. Haven't heard anything from the "Good Will Hunting" soundtrack yet, so...

papabeard
Very suspicous way to die, not many people stab THEMSELVES in the chest and wait to bleed to death, original though.

Phat J
i thought he did it samurai style, in then up. actually i heard that he did it twice, which is when you think about it impossible, so i could be wrong.

Punkyhermy
I LOVE Elliott Smith. Great meloncholy mood to it that is so befitting to me when I need it to be.

Punkyhermy
"first the mic then a half cigarette
singing cathy's clown
that's the man that she's married to now
that's the girl that he takes around town
she appears composed, so she is, i suppose
who can really tell?
she shows no emotion at all
stares into space like a dead china doll
i'm never gonna know you now, but i'm gonna love you anyhow

now she's done and they're calling someone
such a familiar name
i'm so glad that my memory's remote
'cos i'm doing just fine hour to hour, note to note
here it is, the revenge to the tune,
"you're no good,
you're no good you're no good you're no good"
can't you tell that it's well understood?

i'm here today and expected to stay on and on and on
i'm tired
i'm tired

looking out on the substitute scene
still going strong
XO, mom
it's ok, it's alright, nothing's wrong
tell mr. man with impossible plans to just leave me alone
in the place where i make no mistakes
in the place where i have what it takes

i'm never gonna know you now, but i'm gonna love you anyhow "

I'm in love with this song. happyThis guy was amazing!

papabeard
there is tribute album out, called From Portland to Elliot, bands from the area covering his songs.

vanice
a true master...
the goodwill-hunting soundtrack is his best I think.

SeptemberRain
Originally posted by Phat J
i thought he did it samurai style, in then up. actually i heard that he did it twice, which is when you think about it impossible, so i could be wrong.

I heard it was once. But yes, in and up, but then he twisted it.

horrible

SnakeEyes
I've been getting more and more into Elliott Smith's music this past year; probably because I've been pretty down/his music speaks to me. Anyway, love his albums, songs, etc. And like everyone's been saying here, it is a shame that he died the way he did, it really adds a genuinely heartbreaking quality to a lot of the songs he wrote. But he left dozens of fantastic songs for us to listen to and for that I'm grateful. The man's my favorite singer/songwriter.

Anyone have a particular favorite song or CD? I've been liking the posthumous album "From a Basement on the Hill" a lot lately. "Memory Lane" is addictively listenable.

Bardock42
My favourite is Figure 8. He's really great, and I agree hiw songs have a great emotional quality.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.