Astrology

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Has anyone ever read their Astrological sign and found that it did describe them?....I don't follow horoscopes myself, but have read what a Gemini is and found it to be really telling of me...Could it be coincidence?...The first time I had read about gemini was when I was 11 and given the information...I thought it was pretty on target...

I know people go and get work ups on charts that have their time of birth and where the planets are which is supposed to show them their encounters with what they may experience, but wouldn't this also go against free will, that a future is not set?
What about you?

Shakyamunison
Here is something you can try with a group of friends.

Get two copies of a newspaper and set aside one copy. Then cut out all the horoscopes, without reading any of them, from the second paper. Cut out each one separately and cut off the title of the sign. Now you should have 12 pieces of paper with horoscopes with no indicator of what sign it belongs to (you may have to have another person, who is not part of the group, mark out any mention of the sign from the horoscopes). Then someone read out loud each horoscope and as a group try to match it to a sign. When you are done get the other newspaper and see how you did. You might be surprised how difficult it is to get right.

debbiejo
Sounds interesting....I think it would be really hard to do.....Though I was talking more about the description of each sign...More what's found in books.

AOR
Yeah I have had the sign be a close description of me. Although it isn't a habit, I do once in a while read my horoscope, just out of curiosity. Upon reading it it gave a pretty good description of the knee pain I was having and a good way to heal it. Although I have always attributed it to coincidence, I can't help but wonder...

Imperial_Samura
I'll admit, and this is a big thing to say for someone who considers themselves as rational as I, that I quite enjoy reading those star sign descriptions. And how often the seem earily correct (for us scorpios at least, the greatest star sign!)

This is despite the fact I don't believe in the astrology business, and think predictions based on star movements are a load of cobblers.. It just can seem so accurate of how I view myself. However I got an interesting perception of the whole thing last year in one of my classes. We were told about study were a number of different people were told they would be looking at the profile of their star sign, they were given a a piece of paper with a paragraph description of their star signs pros and cons, it's characteristics, and traits and personaility and then asked to say whether they believed it reflected truthfully upon their character - as in did Leo 12 think it was accurate in terms of what it said about his personality etc.

Now, something like 95% said yes, it was spot on - now people from every star sign were represented, except the description they were given was exactly the same for everybody and all signs. As in there was only one profile handed out, except the people thought there was one for every star sign. Now, what did this indicate about the whole thing? I can't remember, I'll have to look at my notes. But it's just food for thought.

Atlantis001

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
I'll admit, and this is a big thing to say for someone who considers themselves as rational as I, that I quite enjoy reading those star sign descriptions. And how often the seem earily correct (for us scorpios at least, the greatest star sign!)

This is despite the fact I don't believe in the astrology business, and think predictions based on star movements are a load of cobblers.. It just can seem so accurate of how I view myself. However I got an interesting perception of the whole thing last year in one of my classes. We were told about study were a number of different people were told they would be looking at the profile of their star sign, they were given a a piece of paper with a paragraph description of their star signs pros and cons, it's characteristics, and traits and personaility and then asked to say whether they believed it reflected truthfully upon their character - as in did Leo 12 think it was accurate in terms of what it said about his personality etc.

Now, something like 95% said yes, it was spot on - now people from every star sign were represented, except the description they were given was exactly the same for everybody and all signs. As in there was only one profile handed out, except the people thought there was one for every star sign. Now, what did this indicate about the whole thing? I can't remember, I'll have to look at my notes. But it's just food for thought.

What that says to me is that you see yourself in the things you read. What I mean is, if you are told that this is a description of your sign, then you are more apt to see yourself in what you read. You may even disregard any part that doesn't fit. It all boils down to human nature.

debbiejo
Not me...I do resemble Gemini...I'm just like that.

Sun in Gemini

You are curious, versatile and lively with a lot of mental energy. You are probably a
smooth talker and never shy about expressing your ideas and opinions on whatever topic
is on hand. You love to explore new ideas and to mentally challenge yourself. Mind
games are just up your alley. Social settings are where you feel most comfortable
because you excel at communicating and engaging others. Your thoughts move very
fast, skipping from one idea to the next. In this you are hard to pin down. Your thoughts
and opinions are always changing, in part because you are always acquiring new
knowledge. The other part is because you are also very adaptable. Anything set in
stone loses appeal for you. For you life is a journey, to gather new and exciting ideas
and thoughts. Few things will make you as irritable as others trying to tie you down to
anything. In the same manner, matters in romantic love can be very sketchy for you.
Though you enjoy companionship as much as anyone else, you are firm in the belief that
the grass is always greener on the other side. Besides, you love to discover new things
and routines, stability and structure bore you to tears. You are quick to adopt to new
situations and are great at fitting in with any occasion. Your lively, youthful and engaging
personality is often widely appreciated by others. Your sense of humor is very acute and
you love to charm other people with your cleverness.

Aww, I'm special
angel

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Not me...I do resemble Gemini...I'm just like that.

Sun in Gemini

You are curious, versatile and lively with a lot of mental energy. You are probably a
smooth talker and never shy about expressing your ideas and opinions on whatever topic
is on hand. You love to explore new ideas and to mentally challenge yourself. Mind
games are just up your alley. Social settings are where you feel most comfortable
because you excel at communicating and engaging others. Your thoughts move very
fast, skipping from one idea to the next. In this you are hard to pin down. Your thoughts
and opinions are always changing, in part because you are always acquiring new
knowledge. The other part is because you are also very adaptable. Anything set in
stone loses appeal for you. For you life is a journey, to gather new and exciting ideas
and thoughts. Few things will make you as irritable as others trying to tie you down to
anything. In the same manner, matters in romantic love can be very sketchy for you.
Though you enjoy companionship as much as anyone else, you are firm in the belief that
the grass is always greener on the other side. Besides, you love to discover new things
and routines, stability and structure bore you to tears. You are quick to adopt to new
situations and are great at fitting in with any occasion. Your lively, youthful and engaging
personality is often widely appreciated by others. Your sense of humor is very acute and
you love to charm other people with your cleverness.

Aww, I'm special
angel

That sounds like me too, but I'm not a Gemini. Can you guess my sign?

debbiejo
Sorry, I had to cheat...I looked in your profile...Mr. September. Virgo or Libra..

Though I don't know much about the other signs accept people I've run into ...so...I wouldn't be able to really guess yours....Now I'll have to go back and read....So which is it? Virgo or Libra.

Shakyamunison
Sorry, I had to cheat...I looked in your profile...Mr. September. Virgo or Libra..

Though I don't know much about the other signs accept people I've run into ...so...I wouldn't be able to really guess yours....Now I'll have to go back and read....So which is it? Virgo or Libra.

Well, read both and tell me. You know me now for, a year? You should be able to pin me down. That is, if astrology is worth anything at all. big grin

debbiejo
OK I check and I say Libra.

. LIBRA 9-22/ 10-23. Element: AIR. Day #11. Planet: VENUS. Body area: lumber spine, skin. Colors: pink

Very social, adaptable, Artistic, persuasive, talkative, calm, sympathetic, friendly, creative, considerate, desire to create harmony, peaceful, fun loving, balanced and comforting.

Shakyamunison
OK I check and I say Libra.

. LIBRA 9-22/ 10-23. Element: AIR. Day #11. Planet: VENUS. Body area: lumber spine, skin. Colors: pink

Very social, adaptable, Artistic, persuasive, talkative, calm, sympathetic, friendly, creative, considerate, desire to create harmony, peaceful, fun loving, balanced and comforting.

No, but you already know the answer (I pm'ed you and told you).

Capt_Fantastic
My birthday is 9/25. And I have read descriptions of both Virgos and Libras that apply to my personality. Which, according to most books, is typical of someone born that close to the end of one and beginning of the next. While I don't apply much faith to the practice, I do find the similarities interesting. I always read my horoscope, especially in the Onion.

BackFire
To quote Maddox - "Astrology is bullshit"

Wonderer
Real scientific astrology practised by qualified and experienced people really is accurate. Don't go by the ones in magazines and newspapers though. Also, real astrological identification not only takes into account the part of the month you were born in, but the time of day you were born.

The constellation on the day and time of the stars and planets when you were born, simply because of the enormous energy forces from the heavenly bodies and the effect their energy formations and vibrations have on our beings, does influence your personality, but doesn't obstruct your free-will and choices.

Astrology in it's purest and honest form is purely scientific, not mystic. Also, a lot of mystics in the past have been proven right today by quantum mechanics. "Mystic" people simply have more direct contact with their environment, hence their "extra" knowledge of things.

Things are only "mystic" when we don't know their causes.

But, do not become obsessed or dependent on astrology to tell you how to live your life. Remember the truth is inside you and only you can change yourself, not the stars.

Think about that.

smile

Wonderer
Originally posted by Wonderer
Real scientific astrology practised by qualified and experienced people really is accurate. Don't go by the ones in magazines and newspapers though. Also, real astrological identification not only takes into account the part of the month you were born in, but the time of day you were born.

The constellation on the day and time of the stars and planets when you were born, simply because of the enormous energy forces from the heavenly bodies and the effect their energy formations and vibrations have on our beings, does influence your personality, but doesn't obstruct your free-will and choices.

Astrology in it's purest and honest form is purely scientific, not mystic. Also, a lot of mystics in the past have been proven right today by quantum mechanics. "Mystic" people simply have more direct contact with their environment, hence their "extra" knowledge of things.

Things are only "mystic" when we don't know their causes.

But, do not become obsessed or dependent on astrology to tell you how to live your life. Remember the truth is inside you and only you can change yourself, not the stars.

Think about that.

smile

Anyone thought about that?

Roulette
I think it's all coincidence..
when people predict what will happen to people of a certain sign, then obviously it's bound to apply to quite a lot of people....I mean, really...there are so many people in the world...we share our own sign with so many others.

Out of curiosity, I sometimes check my own horoscope, but it is rarely correct.

Mindship
Of course what's going on in the universe affects us. The question is: how significant are these distance influences when compared to proximal forces?
Regardless, I am open to infinite possibilities. My only criteria is this (to paraphrase the late Carl Sagan): "The more extraordinary the claim, the more extraordinary the required evidence."

My sign? >> jerry

lil bitchiness
Has anyone ever read their Astrological sign and found that it did describe them?....I don't follow horoscopes myself, but have read what a Gemini is and found it to be really telling of me...Could it be coincidence?...The first time I had read about gemini was when I was 11 and given the information...I thought it was pretty on target...

I know people go and get work ups on charts that have their time of birth and where the planets are which is supposed to show them their encounters with what they may experience, but wouldn't this also go against free will, that a future is not set?
What about you?

The real astrology eading, if to apply to a individual cannot be done in generalisation of a single sign - that means, that astrology needs to be calculated - your natal chat cannot tell you anything specific based on the date of your birth. It needs to have my date, my ear, my time of birth and the place of birth on order to calculate the proper natal chart.

That applies for the daily or weekly chart - person who is doing it needs to have my exact time of birth, in order to see all 12 houses and which planet is in which house this week or today.

So reading the horoscope from the newspaper or magazine and then saying ''i dont believe in it, tis rubish'' shows the lack of knowledge of what astrology really entalis.

RedAlertv2
to quote Calvin

"It only makes sense that every facet of our daily lives is decided by the position of celestial bodies light years away!"

Victor Von Doom
I can understand why people are taken in by cold reading, but astrology is a whole other sphere.

Darth_Erebus
Astrology has something in common with religion. Both are superstition.

debbiejo
I still don't understand how mapping out a birth time and time of year could suggest an outcome.

Wonderer
We can only see and feel the truth if we are open to it. Truth doesn't knock on your door when it sees the 'gone fishing sign', it needs the 'welcome' sign.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.