Trendwhores Unite!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
Is it just me or...........

Is everyone nowadays a dark tortured writer spewing morbid poetry about suicide in bathrooms? Or just a writer in general, no offense people but not everyone's cut for it, some of the stuff I've read recently around really sucks.

Or a self pronounced rock star, because they own one guitar, jamming in their parents' garage trying to convince some poor girl to sleep with them because they're waif thin and just need a home cooked meal?

Or a seasoned bi-sexual who can't find enough satisfaction with one sex so turns to both?

Or an environmentally friendly health nut, who doesn't mind paying like 6 bucks each half hour for a smoothie, and then complains that the styrofoam cups aren't biodegradable?

What the f**k?

Like some people are such walking contradictions it's hilarious. And don't get me wrong, much love to people who are into this stuff, but who are in it for real, I've no respect for people who are "acting" to fit in.

Lana
I have to say that I very much dislike people who do things just because they think it's cool. Like, I write, but I rarely show anyone the stuff I write because most of the time I don't think it's good enoough. Art is more my thing anyway. And the whole pretending to be bi thing really annoys me...I am bi, it's who I am, I don't care, I don't call attention to it, and I don't give a shit if it's the 'in' thing right now; I've known that I was for years. Seriously, people need to learn to be themselves and not pretend to be something they're not just to fit in.

silver_tears
I just find it so amusing that the one's who claim to be the most hardcore into any of the above can be summed up by my little summaries right there, it's because know this, you're not an individual if you didn;t come up with it.

I mean yea, don't get me wrong, there really are people like that, like lana for example eyes
But having just visited the poetry corner and read some of these poems, some of the stuff people spew out is despicable. If you have a bubble gum pink avvy and sig, no one will take poetry about death and suicide serious by you, specially if you typ lik tis. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Like pick an identity and stick to it, because schizophrenia has many wonderful drugs out these days. one eye

Wolflet
Too long to read stick out tongue

Lana
flirt1 winkiss

I actually more or less stay out of the Poetry forum altogether now, except for certain threads....don't get me wrong, there is some great stuff in there, but so much of it is just the same tired drivel that you hear so much...and it's so annoying. These people, by trying to stand out, are only adhering to silly trends. The best way to stand out is to just be yourself.

silver_tears
Oh no doubt there's some awesome stuff, same with gen fic, but I swear to god I think from the poems I've read the words blood, gasp, dying, alone, darkness, sliding to the floor, pain, are in like every single one.

Not to mention some of the stuff I could have sworn are Evanescence or similar lyrics stick out tongue

Lana
Ewww, Evanescence sick

In the Poetry forum I mostly read AC's stuff (seriously, the stuff he writes is really good). GenFic's also loaded with a lot of junk, I mostly read Rex's and a few other people's stuff. So much of the stuff in there is single paragraph snippets with terrible grammar and spelling.

I've posted a few poems, and some of it is the whole depressive stuff, but I at least try and make it original instead of the same stuff you see everywhere...plus I write all sorts of stuff, not just that. Poetry's far from being what I'm good at writing anyway, I'm much better at short stories.

Roulette
I know what ye mean...

these days when I look around, I see the same types of people.. originality hardly exists anymore-.-

JeezumO.O people really need to stop following trends and just be their own personyes

silver_tears
Originally posted by Lana
Ewww, Evanescence sick

In the Poetry forum I mostly read AC's stuff (seriously, the stuff he writes is really good). GenFic's also loaded with a lot of junk, I mostly read Rex's and a few other people's stuff. So much of the stuff in there is single paragraph snippets with terrible grammar and spelling.

I've posted a few poems, and some of it is the whole depressive stuff, but I at least try and make it original instead of the same stuff you see everywhere...plus I write all sorts of stuff, not just that. Poetry's far from being what I'm good at writing anyway, I'm much better at short stories.

I hate almost all poetry in all honesty, I just don't see the like impressiveness and such in it embarrasment
But yes, some of the short stories really are amazing. I was trying to steel myself to read Jordan's stuff, but in all fairness I can't do sci-fi at all, regardless of how good it is and never did embarrasment but it's alright, I still love him.

And well put R-ette big grin

a1hsauce
eek! OMG!!! speaking of guitars I saw this sweet toy one at BestBuy but it was for a playstation game, like you pushed buttons on the guitar instead of strings to go in tune with the music playing eek!

embarrasment why am i still up at 1 in the morning confused

Roulette
hehe...thanks silverbig grin

Pandemoniac
To many people prefer adapting a style above expressing their real personality, all out of the fear that they will not be understood or accepted.
The sadness in that lays partially in the fact that one somehow is supposed to be part of a group to be of any importance, and as well in the too common believe amongst people that that is true.
That is what wars are made of and what suppresses the free mind.

Roulette
a1>> ums...cuz ur not tired?^^....I'm never tired at 1am^^

silver_tears
Originally posted by a1hsauce
eek! OMG!!! speaking of guitars I saw this sweet toy one at BestBuy but it was for a playstation game, like you pushed buttons on the guitar instead of strings to go in tune with the music playing eek!

embarrasment why am i still up at 1 in the morning confused

I'm up and it's 4 eek!

No problemo senorita hihat
Feel free to call me Irene

Roulette
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
To many people prefer adapting a style above expressing their real personality, all out of the fear that they will not be understood or accepted.
The sadness in that lays partially in the fact that one somehow is supposed to be part of a group to be of any importance, and as well in the too common believe amongst people that that is true.

wow...nicely putbig grin *claps*

a1hsauce
Jeez 4?!? how do yo do it.

Originally posted by Roulette
a1>> ums...cuz ur not tired?^^....I'm never tired at 1am^^
true, i just got back from a friends house and im wide awake eek!

silver_tears

That last sentence made me think of Equilibrium laughing out loud
But I completely agree with what you've said..err typed. It's mostly fear of not being accepted I think. But acceptance means nothing when it's not really you they're accepting.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."
I've no clue who said it, but credit to them whoever they are. thumb up

Sorgo
For most, they are low in Will Power and are easily influenced to join a sub culture or a trend group of Today. When I say most, I am referring to the kids of our future. The kids in school. They are the greatest trend whores of all. Don't get me wrong: I understand they are Guinea pigs to the Media and the almost infinity empire of the Industrial corporations around the country who are selling just about anything to just about anybody... BUT that does not enable these kids to automatically start joining these ridiculous and annoying subcultures just to "fit in". Can't they be normal? Emo, Poser, Skater, Goth.... For f*cks sakes. Have you gone so damned far in you can no longer realize the embarrassment you are inflicting upon yourself by dressing the way you do and doing what you do? And you can tell when they are trying to look look or when they try to stand out around their friends and in the vicinity of their homely little sub cultures. Try accepting your own personality and stop hiding it. THAT'S the latest trend. YOURSELF, MORON!

It's quite ridiculous now. The youth has lost Will power. It saddens me to see that some of these pathetic individuals may be running this country some day.

silver_tears

Sleep till 2 embarrasment

I'm actually supposed to be working though, researching for a philosophy paper about the roots, changes and future of human love.

Roulette
Originally posted by silver_tears

No problemo senorita hihat
Feel free to call me Irene

hehe....will do, Irene..^^ pretty namethumb up

Roulette

true, i just got back from a friends house and im wide awake eek! woo! then stay awakeHappy Dancebig grin

a1hsauce
Sleep till 2 embarrasment

I'm actually supposed to be working though, researching for a philosophy paper about the roots, changes and future of human love.
woah what class is that for?

Pandemoniac
Never mind what class, I would love to read about that just to gain more understanding of us wacky humans

Sorgo
Bah... Human Understanding.... We will never figure us out.

silver_tears
Philosophy laughing out loud

We're supposed to do a comparative study of 4 philosophers' views throughout the different eras starting with the Pre-Socratics right up till the modern era. I'm having issues finding stuff in modern philosophy on love.

Mind you I'm solely to blame for having chosen the topic embarrasment

a1hsauce
oops philosophy class...my bad

silver_tears
Never mind what class, I would love to read about that just to gain more understanding of us wacky humans

If it turns out at all like I've planned I'll post it laughing out loud

a1hsauce
do you get to choose the philosophers or are they given to you

Pandemoniac
That last sentence made me think of Equilibrium laughing out loud
But I completely agree with what you've said..err typed. It's mostly fear of not being accepted I think. But acceptance means nothing when it's not really you they're accepting.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."
I've no clue who said it, but credit to them whoever they are. thumb up

That was Oscar Wilde, a genius concerning quotes like that. Check him out

silver_tears
We choose, so far I've Plato, St. Augustine, and Freud, and with such differing views amongst them, I think my thesis will be killer.

silver_tears
That was Oscar Wilde, a genius concerning quotes like that. Check him out

I'm familiar with some of his quotes, brilliant indeed. I was just browsing a site and stumbled upon that one, it wasn't credited by I really liked it. Thank you for clarifying big grin

Pandemoniac
If it turns out at all like I've planned I'll post it laughing out loud

Thanks in advance. And after-all, aren't the things we know lesser about the origin of our greatest tales

Pandemoniac
I'm familiar with some of his quotes, brilliant indeed. I was just browsing a site and stumbled upon that one, it wasn't credited by I really liked it. Thank you for clarifying big grin

De nada, always good to encounter someone interested in the more essential facts of life

Sorgo
We choose, so far I've Plato, St. Augustine, and Freud, and with such differing views amongst them, I think my thesis will be killer.

Go for Voltaire.

A witty saying proves nothing.

silver_tears
Thanks in advance. And after-all, aren't the things we know lesser about the origin of our greatest tales

Food for thought that is.
I'm my case it'll probably be my greatest downfall laughing out loud

And in case anyone's interested, seeing as how it's 4 am and I'm doing this from memory, no one have a fit if they're jumbled, but.......
Plato- His notion is that we are in love with the ideal of beauty, not what the person is, but what they can be.
St. Augustine- That through loving we are proving the existence of God and being led to God.
And finally Freud- That we are conditioned and taught to love, a posteri knowledge if you will.

I need one more, and I might just decide to do Pascal with his thought provoking quote that "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." Because I can just go on for an undetermined amount of time on that one.

silver_tears
Originally posted by Sorgo
Go for Voltaire.

A witty saying proves nothing.

What's that to do with love? stick out tongue
Although if I were you, I'd drop that around in some of the threads in the GDF, it seems most fitting there wink

Sorgo
What's that to do with love? stick out tongue
Although if I were you, I'd drop that around in some of the threads in the GDF, it seems most fitting there wink

The OTF is my chill spot, yo! stick out tongue

silver_tears
Mine too, it's only those rare nights I venture out of it to grace the other forums with my presence, and all that other self absorbed stuff. diva

Sorgo
Mine too, it's only those rare nights I venture out of it to grace the other forums with my presence, and all that other self absorbed stuff. diva

My BIGGIE chill spot still rests at the Star Wars Forums.

silver_tears
I got as much from your avvy and sig laughing out loud

Sorgo
I got as much from your avvy and sig laughing out loud

stick out tongue

Tired Hiker

Is everyone nowadays a dark tortured writer spewing morbid poetry about suicide in bathrooms? Or just a writer in general, no offense people but not everyone's cut for it, some of the stuff I've read recently around really sucks.

Or a self pronounced rock star, because they own one guitar, jamming in their parents' garage trying to convince some poor girl to sleep with them because they're waif thin and just need a home cooked meal?

Or a seasoned bi-sexual who can't find enough satisfaction with one sex so turns to both?

Or an environmentally friendly health nut, who doesn't mind paying like 6 bucks each half hour for a smoothie, and then complains that the styrofoam cups aren't biodegradable?

What the f**k?

Like some e songs about people are such walking contradictions it's hilarious. And don't get me wrong, much love to people who are into this stuff, but who are in it for real, I've no respect for people who are "acting" to fit in.

So true. I also hate when people are like, "I don't like it, it's too mainstream." It's like, okay, so what??? I like Harry Potter and so does half the planet! If you don't like Harry Potter, then keep it to yourself. Making the point that Harry Potter is trendy is pointless to me. Go read that other book that no one else has ever heard of so you can discuss it with no one. Go sit in your dark little corner and be by yourself!!! Gosh!

bogen
hey wat about the whole EMO thing.
i looked it up and by description im a emo, but i don't go around pransing about in black.
hell naww, the only black i own are my superman undies.
and i don't get the thing were if im emo or goth that = i MUST cut myself, socioty says so. i must hate myself if i were black?

diabloprimeevil

Spearhead
Originally posted by bogen
hey wat about the whole EMO thing.
i looked it up and by description im a emo, but i don't go around pransing about in black.
hell naww, the only black i own are my superman undies.
and i don't get the thing were if im emo or goth that = i MUST cut myself, socioty says so. i must hate myself if i were black?

nah, people are overly-simplistic. rather than make a distinction between people who wear black, and people who are goths, we just glob them into the same category...why? because we're lazy and don't like to think.

In response to the first post...well, it's early, and I don't feel like mincing words. Bandwagoners just need go away.

"Must conform!"

§cooter
Originally posted by Spearhead
nah, people are overly-simplistic. rather than make a distinction between people who wear black, and people who are goths, we just glob them into the same category...why? because we're lazy and don't like to think.

In response to the first post...well, it's early, and I don't feel like mincing words. Bandwagoners just need go away.

"Must conform!" You're right Jeremy! eek! It is because we're lazy.

Lana
I absolutely love that quote, Irene....it's so true big grin

Alpha Centauri
The only medium I ever show people is poetry and even then it's just stuff I freestyle, if you will. Everything you see in the poetry corner is made up as I'm replying. I'd never expose any more unless I feel I know you and trust you enough.

People crave acceptance, it's dumb.

Originally posted by Tired Hiker
If you don't like Harry Potter, then keep it to yourself. Making the point that Harry Potter is trendy is pointless to me. Go read that other book that no one else has ever heard of so you can discuss it with no one. Go sit in your dark little corner and be by yourself!!! Gosh!

So it's ok for half of the world's populace to fangirl and fanboy out over Harry Potter...but disliking it must be kept to ourselves? Bit silly isn't it? If someone's gonna rant to me about "OMG SHE'S SUCH AN AWESOME AUTHOR!" then I'll reply back with every reason why she is nothing special. Deal with it.

-AC

Lana
I think TH means the people who go out of their way to not like it BECAUSE it's popular. Just like all the Green Day fans who stopped liking them after American Idiot because they became super popular.

Alpha Centauri
"If you don't like Harry Potter, then keep it to yourself. Making the point that Harry Potter is trendy is pointless to me."

Doesn't seem like it to be honest.

Moreover, I don't think it's fair to say people shouldn't write poetry because they're not cut out for it. You do get better as you get older and if you keep writing. Also, music isn't necessarily for everyone but that doesn't stop My Chemical Romance or Coldplay putting out albums. They have the "ability" to make "music" and they are putting their right to do so, to use. Bad has to exist or good will never be appreciated.

-AC

Lana
"I also hate when people are like, "I don't like it, it's too mainstream.""

stick out tongue

And the point of this is not things like people writing poetry because they genuinely like to and want to get better, but people that do the whole dark depressed poetry thing because it's trendy. Which I agree with...you shouldn't do or like something just because it's 'cool'. Do it or like it because you truly do.

Personally I don't care if people don't like or do like the stuff I do and like.

WrathfulDwarf
Mainstream..mainstream..hmm..what would be good example of mainstream...*ponders*

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, but when does that mean they have to keep it to themselves? Bit presumptuous.

I realise that whilst I'm fiercely protective of art, today's great artists in any medium, won't be around forever. Nor were they always here. Art has to come from somewhere and it's only gonna happen if people keep taking it seriously, which people always will. Somehow.

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Mainstream..mainstream..hmm..what would be good example of mainstream...*ponders*

Marvel comics. They've easily tripled their fanbase with all the movies. I don't stop liking them as a result.

The problem with Harry Potter is that a lot of people genuinely believe she's (JK Rowling) this amazing author just because she's acclaimed by the mainstream. She's not anything special. I have no problem AT ALL with people liking the books and movies, but I do personally think that they should be a little more in the know before making such a claim as "she's a great author."

-AC

Lana
Well, I don't agree with the 'keeping it to yourself' thing either stick out tongue

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Marvel comics. They've easily tripled their fanbase with all the movies. I don't stop liking them as a result.

The problem with Harry Potter is that a lot of people genuinely believe she's this amazing author just because she's acclaimed by the mainstream. She's not anything special. I have no problem AT ALL with people liking the books and movies, but I do personally think that they should be a little more in the know before making such a claim as "she's a great author."

-AC

Here is what I think is mainstream:

Music: 50cent and Eminem
Movies: All the new Star Wars films
Gadgets: iPod
Video Games: Xbox and PS2

Whatcha think?

Lana

The problem with Harry Potter is that a lot of people genuinely believe she's (JK Rowling) this amazing author just because she's acclaimed by the mainstream. She's not anything special. I have no problem AT ALL with people liking the books and movies, but I do personally think that they should be a little more in the know before making such a claim as "she's a great author."

-AC

I don't think she's anything special as an author, I just like the books because they're fun and easy reads.

Here is what I think is mainstream:

Music: 50cent and Eminem
Movies: All the new Star Wars films
Gadgets: iPod
Video Games: Xbox and PS2

Whatcha think?

I'd say that all sounds right...SW especially, because there's all the teenage fangirls who like it simply because they think Hayden's hot and have never even seen the OT.

Sacrilege, so far as I'm concerned stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Well those are mainstream too, but so are Marvel Comics...especially now.

I don't care about mainstream or underground with my medium of choice, that being music. Purely because so many great bands exist in either. I also believe there should be no compromise in art. If someone doesn't like what you're doing, that's up to them, but don't change for them. It defeats the purpose of art and expression. I love The Cure, Zeppelin and then newer bands like System of a Down and The Darkness. Both of which are relatively well known (especially the latter). As long as it's honest and good (or better), then I have no problem with it. I even dislike honest BAD music less than I hate the dishonest shit.

To add to what you said though WD, people long to be able to discuss. So if a worldwide discussion point is the PS2, they'll be into it. My friend thinks he knows a lot about games just because he obsesses over them. I witnessed someone asking him a games question and I could tell he felt justified. It's weird.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf

I'd say that all sounds right...SW especially, because there's all the teenage fangirls who like it simply because they think Hayden's hot and have never even seen the OT.

Sacrilege, so far as I'm concerned stick out tongue

But a point rises here Lana....These are things that I find them to be mainstream. However, fans or people who love these things might have a difference in opinion and even disagree. I think is about fanbases more than just popularity. The larger the fanbase the larger the thing will get.

Alpha Centauri
If I've been genuinely into a band for ages, I'm not gonna be turned away from them just because Billy McLateArrival decides he wants to make them his new favourite band.

The only way I'll ditch a band in that way is if they alter their morals and beliefs to appeal to more and more fans. Which is compromise, and it's bullcrap.

-AC

Lana
But a point rises here Lana....These are things that I find them to be mainstream. However, fans or people who love these things might have a difference in opinion and even disagree. I think is about fanbases more than just popularity. The larger the fanbase the larger the thing will get.

Yeah, but my point stands at this...if you're going to call yourself a SW fan, you should have at least seen all the movies, not just the PT. I don't care how popular something is, but if you're going to make yourself out to be a big fan of something you shouldn't be largely ignorant of it.

If I've been genuinely into a band for ages, I'm not gonna be turned away from them just because Billy McLateArrival decides he wants to make them his new favourite band.

The only way I'll ditch a band in that way is if they alter their morals and beliefs to appeal to more and more fans. Which is compromise, and it's bullcrap.

-AC

Same here.

WrathfulDwarf
Well those are mainstream too, but so are Marvel Comics...especially now.
-AC

I think Comic Book Movies in general are becoming more mainstream nowadays. You can also throw in Sin City and Batman Begins. The thing with fanbases is that fans that have a good sense of things recognize the flaws. However, those so-called fans that just jump on the bandwagon aren't really to convinicing and they go "YEAH!!! IS GREAT". But I hate to generalize...you know?!

Alpha Centauri
Ironically, most of the people who take swipes at Green Day because they're a band at the height of popularity, are also doing so because it's popular.

I think Comic Book Movies in general are becoming more mainstream nowadays. You can also throw in Sin City and Batman Begins. The thing with fanbases is that fans that have a good sense of things recognize the flaws. However, those so-called fans that just jump on the bandwagon aren't really to convinicing. But I hate to generalize...you know?!

Here's how I see it: You can't really help when or how you discover something, in certain cases. I know plenty of people who aren't lazy with seeking out art, that had never heard of some awesome bands. If you get into a band at the height of their popularity, I don't really care as long as you genuinely do like them and it's not just because of status. If you get into a band because they're popular then you're an idiot and I here that roads are a good playing spot.

-AC

Lana
I think Comic Book Movies in general are becoming more mainstream nowadays. You can also throw in Sin City and Batman Begins. The thing with fanbases is that fans that have a good sense of things recognize the flaws. However, those so-called fans that just jump on the bandwagon aren't really to convinicing and they go "YEAH!!! IS GREAT". But I hate to generalize...you know?!

Aaaaaand you just nailed what I was getting at with SW fans who jump on the bandwagon because they think a character's hot - it's not at all convincing.

Ironically, most of the people who take swipes at Green Day because they're a band at the height of popularity are also doing so because it's popular.

-AC

I mentioned that already stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
I thought you just mentioned people who dislike Green Day because they're popular. Not the retaliation of.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
Aaaaaand you just nailed what I was getting at with SW fans who jump on the bandwagon because they think a character's hot - it's not at all convincing.

I think Padme is friggin HOT! Woo-Hoo! I'm a REAL Star Wars fan! big grin stick out tongue

Lana
Ehh, close enough.

I think Padme is friggin HOT! Woo-Hoo! I'm a REAL Star Wars fan! big grin stick out tongue

I'm not sure if she liked dwarves though stick out tongue laughing out loud

silver_tears
I'm surprised someone hasn't done the "Well she liked Anakin so hardy har har, bit yet." stick out tongue

DarkC

What the f**k?

Like some people are such walking contradictions it's hilarious. And don't get me wrong, much love to people who are into this stuff, but who are in it for real, I've no respect for people who are "acting" to fit in.
There are none of those at my school.

Jedi Priestess
Nice topic Irene. What I find most amusing is that people on message boards are 9 times out of 10 SO not like they are in real life. People that are very outgoing on a message board tend to freak the hell out when confronted with speaking in front of a large group of people. Not all mind you, but the great majority do. It's also been my experience that the people who do engage in the activities that you mentioned in real life, tend to not advertise that they do so, as it's just a way of life for them and as such, no big deal. smile

silver_tears
Agreed, people who do these things beause they love them don't go around carrying a guitar in one case to advertise that they're the next big rock star roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alpha Centauri
I agree with JP also. I think it is so much easier to type than it is to talk. The anonymity gives some kind of comfort, which is why I think I can say things to people (even people I know IRL) on the net that I couldn't say in person. Though I have absolutely no problem speaking in public.

I don't see the point on coming to a messageboard and saying "Yeah I do this, this and this." I don't come on here to discuss my real life, just the topics.

-AC

overlord
Re: Trendwhores Unite!

I just hate trends and how vulnerable people are to it. Those trends only cause prejudism for the people who really are excentric/wacky/whatever like that and who don't deserve it.

Of course musicians who suddenly go along with trends to profit popularity are the real ones who should be mocked and bashed.
Especially the extreme examples of those like the horrible Madonna. shifty

silver_tears
And on the topic of how people act different in real life. I can say I'm exactly as I am here in real life laughing out loud
Maybe a touch more shy embarrasment

Lana
I'm more shy in real life in some aspects (most, actually), others I'm not, but I am who I am stick out tongue

§cooter
I don't think she's anything special as an author, I just like the books because they're fun and easy reads.

Sacrilege, so far as I'm concerned stick out tongue We have one in my class, I point out consistently her idiocy.

Commando Queen
I Hate it When People Will Copie other peoples Styles.... expecally if its my style.. Like one time i got my hair cut.. the next day this chick named Jill Got Her hair cut exactly like it.. now whe people ask me where i cet my shirt or whatever fome i just go i don't remember.. cos i like to be unique (just like everyone else stick out tongue)

Alpha Centauri
Especially: There's no x in it.

I hope that was a sarcastic post. People (and it is mostly girls) who do that are annoying.

"Where'd you get your shirt?" "Erm...dunno." You are aware people have bought that shirt before you, right?

-AC

Lana
Yeah, that annoys me, too....you're not going to be the only person in the world with the clothes you have. Now, I occassionally alter my clothes myself. If I wore an outfit I had personally altered, and then a few days later saw someone wearing something almost exactly like it, THEN I might be pissed. But not if I saw someone wearing a shirt that I had bought at the mall.

Jedi Priestess
And on the topic of how people act different in real life. I can say I'm exactly as I am here in real life laughing out loud
Maybe a touch more shy embarrasment

Me too, cept the shy part. Ive met people IRL that I'd been friends with online and they've said Im exactly the way I am online IRL. Go figure. laughing out loud

Lana
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Me too, cept the shy part. Ive met people IRL that I'd been friends with online and they've said Im exactly the way I am online IRL. Go figure. laughing out loud

I guess in real life I'm a lot nicer than I am online laughing out loud

Commando Queen
yes i am but if you go ask someone, then the next day wear it its just annoying. .. i mean this one chick at my school has bought almost every shirt that i own.. and im just a person who likes to stand out so i get pissed when people "copy" me

Lana
Originally posted by Commando Queen
yes i am but if you go ask someone, then the next day wear it its just annoying. .. i mean this one chick at my school has bought almost every shirt that i own.. and im just a person who likes to stand out so i get pissed when people "copy" me

Well, if you buy your clothes, it's going to happen, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're copying you. I have this one shirt that I wear all the time, it was my trademark in high school, and when I was a senior I saw a freshman with the same shirt except in a different color....but I didn't care. Maybe they just like it as well.

Jedi Priestess
I guess in real life I'm a lot nicer than I am online laughing out loud

meh, not me, Im b!tch online and real life laughing out loud

and Commando, either quit telling people where you get your stuff or learn to take it as a compliment that they want to dress like you.

§cooter
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
meh, not me, Im b!tch online and real life laughing out loud

and Commando, either quit telling people where you get your stuff or learn to take it as a compliment that they want to dress like you. *saves that quote for future use* stick out tongue

WrathfulDwarf
Here is an interesting thing.....would you say that Mainstream stuff is always overrated or overhyped?

§cooter
Here is an interesting thing.....would you say that Mainstream stuff is always overrated or overhyped? Uh... mostly.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Commando Queen

No disrespect but if you think you're some pioneering clothes wearer then you need to snap out of it. People shop in stores, you included.

The only people able to claim that they stand out with fashion are the extremely rich who get everything custom. Not some random girl.

-AC

Lana
Here is an interesting thing.....would you say that Mainstream stuff is always overrated or overhyped?

Not always. Most of the time though, yes.

Alpha Centauri

Mostly. Sometimes genuinely great things fall victim though. EG: Red Hot Chili Peppers. Amazing band, critically acclaimed but not nearly as highlighted as some of the worse bands.

-AC

Commando Queen
No disrespect but if you think you're some pioneering clothes wearer then you need to snap out of it. People shop in stores, you included.

The only people able to claim that they stand out with fashion are the extremely rich who get everything custom. Not some random girl.

-AC

*bugs eyes out* i hate dresses laughing out loud

Jedi Priestess

Imaginary
Mostly. Sometimes genuinely great things fall victim though. EG: Red Hot Chili Peppers. Amazing band, critically acclaimed but not nearly as highlighted as some of the worse bands.

-AC

I love Red Hot Chili Peppers. And they're one of the few bands that people like, no matter whether they listen to Tool or My Chemical Romance. But yeah, it is sad that RHCP aren't as popular as they should be.

Alpha Centauri
No no no, that wasn't my point. I'm a firm believer in not whoring bands. If the general world populace are too dumb to get into a band then I'm fine with that.

RHCP are huge, they're one of the biggest bands on Earth as it is. They can't get any bigger I imagine. Although Stadium Arcadium (new album) comes out this summer or before, so we'll see.

They're like the Queen of nowadays. A truly amazing band that everyone can like. Coldplay are the opposite side of the coin. A truly horrible band that everyone likes, for some reason.

-AC

Jedi Priestess
Not me. I think Coldplay pretty much sucks. yes

Lana
Coldplay is sick

WrathfulDwarf
I like Coldplay, but I do agree that they're mainstream and overhyped.

Imaginary
Meh... I can occasionally listen to Coldplay.

Alpha Centauri
I just find it ironic that they're a band with three albums of dreadfully bland melody. Yet the one song (Talk) that has the most melody (I don't like the song) actually steals the melody line from another song.

That plus the fact that Chris Martin has gone from a man who dissed his OWN music to a man who was quoted as saying he believes they are the best band in the world, just made him a joke to me.

-AC

H. S. 6
Trend...

silver_tears
Meh I like coldplay, but it's not like I wear the shirts, and plaster my walls with their posters to show how hardcore into them I am.

Pandemoniac
Good lead there AC. Trendwhoring is expressed alot through choice of music, with coldplay as todays 'finest' objective. So easy to claim a band that stays safely in the middle, and has no real opinions or statements, while stating they express your true emotions as I have heard before.
I don't think coldplay is terrible, but for the people that think that that music is a genuine expression of true human emotion; they haven't put their ears to full use

Alpha Centauri
Meh I like coldplay, but it's not like I wear the shirts, and plaster my walls with their posters to show how hardcore into them I am.

Coldplay have more fans abroad than they do here, and those that like them here are generally publications who love other shit bands. NME and Q being the two worst. Coldplay aren't considered to be all that over on these shores. Purely because there's a wave of bands exactly like them, they just haven't made it across the seas. Which often leads people, specifically Americans, to believe they are unique.

-AC

Pandemoniac
Rest assured, that 'unique' sound won't be attached to bands like that for long, as they swiftly adapt their idol's sound too expressively when their own inspiration gets drained

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.