Official Shadowcat (-imo)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

phase
Ok this is going to be tough.

Looking over some recent posts (Bane vs. and a gauntlet) and ones further back, it obvious tht there is a larj amount of discussion about what she cn and cnt phase thru.

Remember this is just my opinion...

Kitty's phasing (not vision's (later story)) works by negating charj. she does this by bringing her electrons...(btw stop reeding this paragraph if u h8 science)...of her atoms towards the nucleus and (some quarks may switch here to help negate charj) so her atoms remain the same but the size has decreased alot and the whole thing is neutrally charged.

This allows other atom/ions to pass thru her body with ease as there is a huge amount of space and no electrostatic repulsion (wat stops us from putiing our hand thru the table!).

Anyway, in this way... she CAN phase thru...
solids
liquids
gasses................................................- includes wind
electricity............................................(as it is a stream of electrons)
any type of ionic/atomic energy.............- created by ppl like cyclops.
radiation.............................................alpha and beta as they are made of atomic particles.

She CAN NOT phase thru...
wave energy of the electromagnetic spectrum

this includes things such as magnetism, gamma radiation, light -yes, heat radaition (infra-red), uv rays.....................and so on.

FAQ's

Why do ppl keep saying she's rele gd at h2h fighting?

This is because she is. She was trained by wolverine and also studies martial arts. These with her phasing skills make her a formidable opponent.

Can she phase thru adamantium?

Yes she can, but it slows her speed down a lot and often makes her feel ill as she must concentrate a lot. You see as well as doing the above to her atoms she also has extreme subconscious control of their movement within a small area. This helps her move them inot the spaces of other atoms. Therefore the denser the object the harder and the more time it takes for her to do it.

Is she affected by temperature changes wen phased?

Depends. First let's deal with cold. If she walks out of a warm house onto a cold snowy lawn, she will not cool down as fast as others as she does not lose heat thru conduction or convection when phased, but she wud slowly cool down due to heat radiating out from her body and little coming in. However, this wud take a while b4 it has any noticable affect.
Hot is much the same for the same reasons, she will take a lot longer to warm up, but it does effect her.

Can she phase thru fire/flames?

This is tricky, since i am unsure wat fire actually is, but in this way she can phase thru 2/3 of it. Well its the conversion of chemical potential energy to heat energy and so a flame is nothing but heat and that goes back to the above q. the hot particles can not touch here so dhe wont burn from them, but they will be giving out a ton of radiation which she can't phase thru, so she'll begin to heat up but won't sustain any physical damage until her cells get to hot and denature. But ye thats a trichy one, I just think that she will heat up more slowly and that a high tempreature will be needed. So she cud put her hand thru a flame and it would begin to heat up but her cells wouldn't be bumpes around by other hot things onlt thr radiation affects her.

Can kenetics such as telekentics (jean) and cryokenetics (iceman) affect her?

Yes they can. they r probably her biggest weakness. people like them who use -kenesis don't need physical contact, or contact via a beam of anything, all they need to do is concentrate on the atoms and they can do wat they want with them (move them - telekenesis) (drain kinetic energy - cryokenesis). So whether kitty's phased or not will not make a difference, she still has atoms.

Phasing and telepathy?

All i have heard is tht telepaths find it harder to reach a mind in phased state, this is probly coz (imo) other particles (not brain or 4t produces) wud be passing thru the brain, disrupting the concentration they have on trying to focus on wat the BRAIN is thinking.

Finally, is vision's phasing different to shadowcat's?

yes. firstly vision's power is to alter his density!!!! he is sed become practically intangible! he simply spreads his atoms out so far that things go through the massive spaces tht is why he looks all spazz wen he "phases" really he is tangible i mean often a few of his atoms are struck by something but as they keep their electrons on the outside they often are just repelled away b4 any serious damge is done. So, if most of his atoms were hit at once even when "phased" he could still be hit as his own atoms wud crash into each other - that is why some ppl can hit vision but cant hit kitty!!!!!!! While so 'undense' his (for he is an android) extra elctrons are still moving between his atoms as electricity, which is he hurts ppl when "phases" thru them. This is why if kitty was to phase thru him she wud knock (with her larger phased atoms) these moving electrons (between his atoms) all over the place and wud disrupt his circuits, rendering him useless.

A lot 2 take in, but i 4t someone shud say it. I no tht writers can change evrything to make a certain character win, but until they start writing in these forums....uve got this.

Anymore questions relating to this...i'll try and answer them...as long as i am awake!?!

phase
I hope this will help in future debates. and in answer to sum1 elses question, yes she can phase other things along with her.

demigawd
Out of curiosity, where did you get this scientific explanation? Was it cited someplace, or is it a theory you developed?

phase
Some of it comes from a wikipedia account some from a marvel directory account some froma marvel physics account and yes my brilliant mind to poece it all 2gether!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol!

demigawd
Wikipedia...hmmm.

Well, considering there were never any other theories presented on her powers, yours sounds good enough for me!

phase
Thanx it took a bit of 4t! ill tell ya!

But i still need to get some more info and think a few more things over about her powers.

Namely...

1. Air walking - how?........................cud b hard
2. Natural st8 - some say intangible others say not only b intangible long enuf as cn hold breath
3. Her zooming along the ground as the earth rotates beneath her???? - this i hardly grasp!?!

Anyway, thanx and i anyone has any questions i cn answer them pretty well! (hopefully!)

Scoobless
what about Martian Manhunter?

life is cruell
This sounds like a logical explination to me
but one thing i dont get if her natural state is intangible then why doesnt she sink through her bed when she sleeps?

phase
This is one of those other tricky things, she is not affected by gravity wen phased obviously - this is wat stops her from sinking and allows her to air walk.
But how i do not yet know.

and wat about martian manhunter?

Scoobless
Originally posted by phase
and wat about martian manhunter?

the phasing.... how does it differ from Vision and Shadowcat?

phase
rean the last faq and all shall b answered

phase
read the last question on my first entry

Scoobless
Originally posted by phase
read the last question on my first entry

it doesn't mention MM's phasing at all

phase
oh sorry i 4t u asked the difference between vision and kitty

hang on i might be able to find something

phase
sorry nothing atm.

ill see tomorrow

Scoobless
ok.... then how does Shadowcat phase other things and people?

phase
the same way she phases herself ! why wud it be different?

phase
Originally posted by Scoobless
the phasing.... how does it differ from Vision and Shadowcat?

Found it. Martian Manhunter's powers are very similar to visions - ability to control own density and so his phasing must be the same as vision's.

But still unsure about SC's air walk and and the "zooming", if ne1 has any info on tht id be happy 2 no - i wanna no how. Obviously defies gravity and seeing as nobody really nos why gravity works, it may b kinda hard.

Any other questions i am still happy to answer

phase
Breathing when in intanigble? Can she hear wen intangible?

Both gd questions. I see tht this has been discussed in "Shadowcat vs.", but this is my opinion.

I believe her to be able to breathe wen intangible for the simple reason tht her body still functions, in fact i think it makes it a ot easier to breathe as oxygen can reach every part of her body. u no tht she can subconsciously move her atoms of her cells - well as soon as an oxygen molecule passes around sme of these atoms they can move around it and the cells allows it to diffuse into it and so she can breathe (and of course can exhale easier). However if she was totally "in" an object such as the ground, here there is little oxygen, so she cud only stay there as long as she cud hold her breath.

Sound travels through air vibrations and so of these vibrations can not come in contact with her ear drum, how can she hear? well it has never been sed whether she can or can't. but, imo, she can't. She's (subconsciously) being risky enuf when grabbing at oxygen molecules thru her body wen intangible (of course wen something is about to pass thru her she wud not breathe (like we do wen we brace ourselves)) i dont think she wud leave her ear and aural passage way "unphased" as this cud cause her severe damage. However she may leave them unphased while she is intangible if she wishes to hear something and nos tht there is nothing hurtling towards her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other questions?

Scoobless
she definitely does breath, gas attacks have been used to take her out before

phase
yes i believe she cud still breathe in gas accidently, but the way some gasses affect the skin wen they come in contact with it wud not affect tht way.

DarkCrawler
So, when she makes other people intangible, she controls their molecular structure or something?

phase
ye wen she phases others it is up to her to keep their aroms intangible by moving them within the radius she can. tht's why its harder for her wen she phases other objects/ppl as well.

DarkCrawler
So she can manipulate other things with her powers too?

I smell omega mutation...shifty

phase
no, u taking wat i sed the wrong way ( i think ). When i say she has subconscious control over her atoms and those of nearby objects, wat i mean is tht she can put them into "phase" (which includes minimal movement control so tht they can avoid oncoming atoms of a foreign object.) This is sed more clearly in the 1st post. Or is tht wat u meant?

Or did u mean something about the rumour that her power cud be developing into "phasekenesis" and she is able to phase objects in the same way iceman can drain theri KE? - as in thru concentration? Does ne1 no sumthing about this? or have nemore questions?

phase
im geussing then tht as she can defy gravity, this wud allow to make incredible jumps and slow/stop her falling - another useful aspect.

and in answer to sum1's (shant say who) private question, yes she can phase thru ppl! and no she cant control their mind and wat they do while she's inside! (wud b kl tho laughing )

Lord Magnus
What about adamantium? If it's indestructable, wouldn't it not vibrate and therefore make no sound when hit? b And wouldn't it always be absolute zero?

My theory is that it is absolute zero but since it constantly remains absolute zero there is no heat transfer to or from it. Sup with that, yo?

Scoobless
Originally posted by Lord Magnus
What about adamantium? If it's indestructable, wouldn't it not vibrate and therefore make no sound when hit?

why not?

phase
adamantium is ALMOST indestructible, things have torn it b4, and no it wud not b at absolute zero and so it wud make a sound wen hit!

phase
things which have torn adamantium :

Adamantium (this was moving at a faster speed by wolverine, who also weilds gr8 strength)
Phoenix - telekenesis (she is such a powerful mutant that she was just able to bend the adamantium and eventually snap it!)
Magneto - metallic control (well we all no tht)
Scarlet witch and other reality manipulators cud - altho i hav no proof - they cud just manipulate is structure
When its hot (well we all no tht)
And seeing as is is this thread i hav to mention tht shadowcat has done it once (she did not phase thru adamantium she phased it into a rock and the internal repulsion shattered both - she did this with wolverine wen the 2 returned to the lab where wolverine was implanted with his adamantium skeleton.

xmarksthespot
Magic-based strength - S'ym snapped his adamantium laced bones like twigs...

Creshosk
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Magic-based strength - S'ym snapped his adamantium laced bones like twigs... Damnit. . . I'm on the wrong computer. . .

You know what I was going to post . . .

phase
So i hope this thred has cleard up most problems with shadowcat and phasing! if not....

try me!!!

phase
FAQ - Why does she disrupt electronics wen she phases thru them?

Her phased atoms pack more power than regular atoms and since as electricity is a flow of a electrons (smallest part of an atom) when her phased atoms strike a flow of electrons they shove all the elctrons out and away which is guarenteed to shut down any electrical system and also has a chance of short circuiting which cud result in an explosion

http://evolution.eracerx.com/images/pics/11_grimreminder_085.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.