Idols and the Church

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
Ripped off from another forum shifty

The nature of the debate is fairly simple, do certain churches overstep the commandment not to worship icons, is there more to it than most people think. What's the argument for, and against, the Catholic and Protestant approaches.

This could be very interesting and I ask for it not to be moved to the Religious forum mods.

Jedi Priestess
Kind of a religious topic dont ya think? And as to the topic, I think people put entirely too much emphasis on this stuff. Im Catholic and I dont even notice any of this stuff. I mean really, just go to church and do your business if you are a church goin peep, who gives a rats ass about someone elses perception of your beliefs?

Ushgarak
Do you actually want to give a reason for it not to be moved there, despite it obviously belonging there, rather than just asking for it not to be moved? Because that's hardly going to do it.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Do you actually want to give a reason for it not to be moved there, despite it obviously belonging there, rather than just asking for it not to be moved? Because that's hardly going to do it.

move it Ush, I just thought it was an interesting enough topic to keep in the GDF, perhaps I was wrong.

Ushgarak
Ah, but interest is not the criteria. Moved.

debbiejo
Generally the Catholic church does not follow the 2nd Commandment infact they've changed the 2nd all together and taken this portion out.

You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Atlantis001

debbiejo
Well the Amish take scripture very seriously. They will not hang any images on there walls at all, only calenders and such. Many Catholics don't realize that the 10 Commandments have been altered from what is written in scripture. It was purposely altered because they are the churches that have Icons, bazillions of saints. Maybe they don't care. Though I feel if a person is going to be a loyal follower of Scriptures, then you must follow it all. To me though the 2nd commandment about images is a little trivial.

You can see the difference between the Protestant, Catholic, and Hebrew 10 commandments.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.htm

Mindship
Idols?

"Dancin' with mahseh-elff, oh oh
dancin' with mahseh-elff..."

debbiejo
^ you need to take that to the masturbation thread really now. rock

Mindship
...as long as I don't enjoy it

pile

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
...as long as I don't enjoy it

pile

I never enjoy it. embarrasment

debbiejo
You don't....you mean you never ever ever do? blink

Oh this isn't the wanking thread is it....

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
You don't....you mean you never ever ever do? blink

Oh this isn't the wanking thread is it....

confused

I'm talking about idols, what are you thinking about?.... embarrasment You are so dirty minded. eek!

Imperial_Samura
I guess there was that period way back when the Catholic Church was basically worshipping Mary and relics of so and so, which really was quite over the top. But I believe they reigned that in a long time ago, so while relics are still points of veneration, it's meant to be veneration of the Saint's life with God, and God making them special and so forth, rather then them being false idols. Kind of stopping the bones of Saints pretending to have real power - no, the power they have comes from God! And all that jazz.

Did it work? Doesn't look like it some times, but oh well, as long as people are happy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.