ps3,xbox 360 and people without HDTV

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

supremthor
Hello i m new to this part of kmc. I have a question, ok it goes like this i got the xbox 360 and I already pre-orderd the ps3. But i have a normal tv. A SHARP 32c240 its a 32 inch that my moms got me like last year. Mind you i m very bad when it comes to electronics.

my question is, is it possable to get high-def pictures on my sharp 32c240 if i buy a high-def tuner? if so can you give me an idea cuss i dont feel like buying an HDTV.

Koala MeatPie
*awarness*

Concidering it is your mommy that bought the 32 inch, i hardly dought that you have the means of buying anything with your 5$ allowence and babysitting.

That is if you do babysit.

Now re-phrase that.

KENobi™
Originally posted by supremthor
Hello i m new to this part of kmc. I have a question, ok it goes like this i got the xbox 360 and I already pre-orderd the ps3. But i have a normal tv. A SHARP 32c240 its a 32 inch that my moms got me like last year. Mind you i m very bad when it comes to electronics.

my question is, is it possable to get high-def pictures on my sharp 32c240 if i buy a high-def tuner? if so can you give me an idea cuss i dont feel like buying an HDTV.

No.

You need an HDTV compatible TV. Those High Def tuners are for HDTV's to get them to accept the HD brodcasts.

If you had an HDTV all you would need to do is plug the HD cables for the 360 into it.

My suggestion is to start saving and maybe 2 years from now you can have an HDTV big grin.

supremthor
yo thst cold i did was just ask a quetsion and ya gonna start posting on me............ fucc it it all cool but i m gonna get ya back

StinkFist462
can you type in a way that makes sense? please?

WrathfulDwarf
I'm currently saving for my brand new HD TV. cool

I shall have it before summer. And of course my 360 should have arrived.

powerfulone1987
maybe i'll get a High Definition Television next christmas and ask for one.

is it comprehensible.....

KENobi™
I'm gonna save for one, but it'll take me ages.

El_NINO
Im sure we all have an HDTV, you look into it everytime you make a post, I know I am.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by El_NINO
Im sure we all have an HDTV, you look into it everytime you make a post, I know I am.
care to rephrase please?

El_NINO
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
care to rephrase please?

How about no

You can figure this one out yourself

powerfulone1987
No, I shouldn't have to figure it out.

If people would speak correct english everything would be so simple.

And there's nothing to figure out. It's right there plain and simple, you have problems typing complete sentences and the only one who needs to figure it out is you. Figure out how to get things across in correct english.

You feel like acting stupid today, do it by yourself.

Lana
blink

Okay, can we cut with the attitudes?

Um, this makes no sense, a computer moniter is not an HDTV....

El_NINO
Originally posted by Lana
blink

Are you sure about that?

Most LCD monitors and some CRT monitors are HD capable, and with an added tv tuner you can make yourself a HDTV

powerfulone1987
god, was that so hard to explain yourself. That's all i asked, but for some reason you didn't want to cooperate with ME.

Ast
blink

I actually have my computer hooked into my HDTV, so I am looking into one when I post. stick out tongue

JKozzy
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I shall have it before summer. And of course my 360 should have arrived. Hopefully stick out tongue

id369

powerfulone1987
can someone explain this 1080p stuff and what's the difference between different ones and what they mean?

H. S. 6
Here's a question:

Say I have an HD-LCD television. What is the absolute best and clearest connection I can get with it?

I know it's HD, but I get confused with all this VGA, component, 1080i... all that crazy stuff. messed

id369
can someone explain this 1080p stuff and what's the difference between different ones and what they mean?

1080p>>>>1080i

here is a link for info

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dtv.htm

1080i is 60 fields per second to give you 30 frames per second where 1080p would be 60 frames per second. A field of course is only the odd or even lines where the frame would be all 1080 lines of resolution.

1080"i' stands for;
Interlaced video (NTSC/ATSC, etc.) delivers half the signal (image frames) at a time, conserving bandwidth. Bandwidth, linked to frequency response, is different from data rates for transmissions. A SD signal of ~6 MHz bandwidth has a data rate of ~12.5 Mbps. Use more, or more-efficient, digital compression and you can trim both storage space and data rate requirements.

1080"p" stands for;
With progressive digitally compressed delivery, 1/60-second full frames can be compressed more because each one is more similar to adjacent frames than time-separated 1/60-second interlaced fields (half-frames). Identical image segments can be removed and represented with less data. (Bandwidth is the frequency or frequency range where a signal's amplitude drops to about 0.7 from a reference.)

worst>----------------------------<best
480i, 480p, 540i, 540p, 720p, and 1080i, 1080p

Lana
Are you sure about that?

Most LCD monitors and some CRT monitors are HD capable, and with an added tv tuner you can make yourself a HDTV

I didn't know that, I'm far from an expert on that sort of stuff. Just when people say HDTV I assume they mean an actual television set stick out tongue

Originally posted by Ast
I actually have my computer hooked into my HDTV, so I am looking into one when I post. stick out tongue

Yes, and you're odd stick out tongue

Ast
Yes, and you're odd stick out tongue

You know you love it. cool

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by JKozzy
Hopefully stick out tongue

Gah! Don't jinx it. stick out tongue

Hey Jkozzy...didn't we had a talk about HD TV and some gadget chip requiment to get a better picture. Remenber that? confused

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by id369
1080p>>>>1080i

here is a link for info

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dtv.htm

1080i is 60 fields per second to give you 30 frames per second where 1080p would be 60 frames per second. A field of course is only the odd or even lines where the frame would be all 1080 lines of resolution.

1080"i' stands for;
Interlaced video (NTSC/ATSC, etc.) delivers half the signal (image frames) at a time, conserving bandwidth. Bandwidth, linked to frequency response, is different from data rates for transmissions. A SD signal of ~6 MHz bandwidth has a data rate of ~12.5 Mbps. Use more, or more-efficient, digital compression and you can trim both storage space and data rate requirements.

1080"p" stands for;
With progressive digitally compressed delivery, 1/60-second full frames can be compressed more because each one is more similar to adjacent frames than time-separated 1/60-second interlaced fields (half-frames). Identical image segments can be removed and represented with less data. (Bandwidth is the frequency or frequency range where a signal's amplitude drops to about 0.7 from a reference.)

worst>----------------------------<best
480i, 480p, 540i, 540p, 720p, and 1080i, 1080p

thanks.

Frag Maniac
I have a Samsung TX-R2678WH 26" HDTV I just bought which has the HD tuner (for local over the air) built in. I've found the best way to set it up is to forget about 1080i and set it to 1280x720p @ 60 Hz resolution, in extended desktop mode.

This handles games and DVD movies quite well, and actually is less prone to jitters than 1080i. The stations that broadcast in 1080i will still show in their native resloution as well when you are just watching TV.

I do have one question reguarding the Xbox 360 games though. Can anyone tell me if the current 360 titles when played on a widescreen display are slightly distorted (stretched horizontally) like PC games are when shown in widescreen?

I've heard the 360 is optimized for widescreen, but I really don't see how they could make all the titles show without looking slightly stretched when most people still don't own widescreen TVs yet.

Woud not making them fit 16:9 unstreched cause them to look compressed on most people's 4:3 TVs? I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think the only way to get around the distortion is if the devs were to write both a widescreen and 4:3 version of the game, and you could select which to display, which would not seem cost effective.

If this is the case, it will be some time before widescreen compatible games do not look stretched, virtually until all or most TVs are replaced with widescreen ones.

sully_2u
I think getting a 360 without having a HDTV is kinda not smart. its the only really big advancement over the original xbox. everything else is not really new, just upgrades from the original. PS3 is alittle more understandable to buy without HDTV because of it having the Blue-Ray disc format, which will make levels in games vastly greater in detail. If you dont have HDTV or do i recommend a new way of playing the games, get the revolution.

El_NINO
Originally posted by sully_2u
I think getting a 360 without having a HDTV is kinda not smart. its the only really big advancement over the original xbox. everything else is not really new, just upgrades from the original. PS3 is alittle more understandable to buy without HDTV because of it having the Blue-Ray disc format, which will make levels in games vastly greater in detail. If you dont have HDTV or do i recommend a new way of playing the games, get the revolution.

So your saying not having an HDTV will make your game play experience crap?

How so?

sully_2u
well i didnt say that and if you got that outta there then sorry. All i meant was that the 360 isnt really anything new. Sony has there blue ray drive so they can store alot of info into games to make them look and play better than the 360. Nintendo has its displacement mapping and there controller which will provide a new, fun way of playing. What's TRUELY new about the 360 that no other has had or will have? Nothing, they didnt branch off into new gaming territory like the other systems are going to.

I dont think that HDTV should have anything to do with gaming ( HDTV was one of the main focuses with the 360 marketing ). I think gaming has everything to do with adding more to the game so we can play longer and add new ways of playing it so it will be funner, none of which the 360 has. 360 is just a modded orignal xbox.

Ast
I think 360 is doing great things with XBL now, so I wouldnt say HD is the only advancement.

sully_2u
yea but im just talking about regular gaming..not online. Gaming as in you and 3 other friends are the only one's playing. I have to admit thoough that they did do pretty great things with Live. I don't think that Nintendo's WiFi will be better but at least its free lol.

How much of a charge is it for Live anways? J/w..

El_NINO
well i didnt say that and if you got that outta there then sorry. All i meant was that the 360 isnt really anything new. Sony has there blue ray drive so they can store alot of info into games to make them look and play better than the 360. Nintendo has its displacement mapping and there controller which will provide a new, fun way of playing. What's TRUELY new about the 360 that no other has had or will have? Nothing, they didnt branch off into new gaming territory like the other systems are going to.

I dont think that HDTV should have anything to do with gaming ( HDTV was one of the main focuses with the 360 marketing ). I think gaming has everything to do with adding more to the game so we can play longer and add new ways of playing it so it will be funner, none of which the 360 has. 360 is just a modded orignal xbox.

Have you actually seen XBOX360s specs, so far they exceed in almost everything except their graphics chips.

sully_2u
SPECS ARE NOTHING!!!

It doesnt matter what the specs are because its all about innovation. The Ps3 WILL be better than 360 because with its Blue-Ray Drive it will store A LOT more information than 360 even if you do get a HD-Drive for it there for you can add more to your games and make them funner ( and IF your interested in graphics it will make things more detailed and prettier ) DAMN IT!! wont dont you get about it?

Revolution doesnt even count in specs because there new way of making games ( Displacement Mapping ) utilizes a lower processer speed to make just as graphical games as xbox 360 or even Ps3 while saving a whole **** load of space on there DualLayer DVD's so they can take advantage of there new controlling scheme.

manny321
Ture imagine how big they could make the next GTA with the blue ray disc.

Refused
Just making the area bigger wont make it better though just like graphics wont make a game better. They need to think of a way to actually change the gameplay with the amount of memory they have to make games now.

Phat J
yeah man, san andreas was so huge if you wanted to go somewhere far away it ended up being a 10 minute drive.

El_NINO
SPECS ARE NOTHING!!!

It doesnt matter what the specs are because its all about innovation. The Ps3 WILL be better than 360 because with its Blue-Ray Drive it will store A LOT more information than 360 even if you do get a HD-Drive for it there for you can add more to your games and make them funner ( and IF your interested in graphics it will make things more detailed and prettier ) DAMN IT!! wont dont you get about it?

Revolution doesnt even count in specs because there new way of making games ( Displacement Mapping ) utilizes a lower processer speed to make just as graphical games as xbox 360 or even Ps3 while saving a whole **** load of space on there DualLayer DVD's so they can take advantage of there new controlling scheme.

What your talking about is based purely on what new technology they decide to incorporate. Have you ever wondered what the pros and cons of a Blu Ray Drive/Disc are. These consoles arent made up of parts from a broke down 1960s truck wink . Its like buying a PC, dont you want to know what your capabilities are before you buy that PC. "SPECS ARE NOTHING", no offence when I say this but thats the lamest excuss I have heard from a video gammer choosing a console. You might aswell buy the PS3 because you can get it in 2 colors (black or white) as opposed to XBOX360 which comes in 1 color (white).

Ive never heard soemone say that, thats all no offence angel

JKozzy
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Gah! Don't jinx it. stick out tongue

Hey Jkozzy...didn't we had a talk about HD TV and some gadget chip requiment to get a better picture. Remenber that? confused The HD Tuner, or whatever it was? The difference between "HD Ready" and "HD *something*... cause one is ready, by itself, and the other requires the HD Tuner box? Or was it something else? confused

sully_2u
what im trying to get around to is that there is nothing technologically new about the xbox 360. They didnt even go with there HD-Drive. What im looking for is into the future for when games get pretty huge and Ps3 will fit them onto one disc. The future looks to hold multi-disc's for the xbox 360 because they wont beable to fit them onto one disc. Can you image being in the middle of your favorite xbox360 game and a black screeen comes up and tells you to switch to disc 2. That is gonna blow for them if they wanna go back into a previous level to..idk maybe unlock something, so they need to change the disc again. That to me will be a hassel. Or how about when SACDs come out and you need a SACD player. Yes, your ps3 will do that too and it will play your BlueRay DVD's when they come out. 2 or 3 years from now when those become standered and your staring at your xbox360, you'll wonder why you didnt go with the system that was looking into the future technologies.

Nintendo won't have to worry about running out of disc space because they wont need to make anything in hi-def plus it wont take much to make there games look pretty because of the new graphic scheme anyways ( already told what it is above ) Overall, yes maybe xbox360 is better than Revolution but it sure is more of a hassel than Revolution will be. And it will NOT be better than ps3 except in there controllers cuz sony sucks at making controllers now i guess. It's like a boomerang or half a steering wheel lol

powerfulone1987
It' pretty unintelligent to dislike a controller, b/c it looks like a "boomerang" or "half a steering wheel".

And in my opinion, Sony's controllers have been the best thus far.

sully_2u
well they have been pretty good but have you seen pictures of them? if not then you should cuz idk how they concived something like that design but its not as good as the gamecube or xbox360 controller ( the 2 controllers i thought were the most comfy). Idk, just looks really really uncomfortable. In my opion, i think the N64 controller was the least comfortable but it got the job done and the ps3 controller doesnt look like its gonna be much more comfy, they should've stuck with there ps1 and ps2 controllers.

Does anyone know if there are going to be Controller ports to plug in ps2 controllers or is it going to be completely wireless?

Phat J
could you post a pic? or maybe even a link?

that'd be sick.

Ast
It' pretty unintelligent to dislike a controller, b/c it looks like a "boomerang" or "half a steering wheel".

And in my opinion, Sony's controllers have been the best thus far.

Ive always hated the Sony controllers, the analog sticks are awful.

powerfulone1987
well they have been pretty good but have you seen pictures of them? if not then you should cuz idk how they concived something like that design but its not as good as the gamecube or xbox360 controller ( the 2 controllers i thought were the most comfy). Idk, just looks really really uncomfortable. In my opion, i think the N64 controller was the least comfortable but it got the job done and the ps3 controller doesnt look like its gonna be much more comfy, they should've stuck with there ps1 and ps2 controllers.

Does anyone know if there are going to be Controller ports to plug in ps2 controllers or is it going to be completely wireless?

yes i have seen it, and you can't tell how comfortable it's going to be just because you've seen a picture. So you really don't know how good or bad it will be.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Phat J
could you post a pic? or maybe even a link?

that'd be sick.
lol

Phat J
Originally posted by Ast
Ive always hated the Sony controllers, the analog sticks are awful.

maybe im biased because its the first controller i ever got used to, but its always been my favourite. the ps2 ones especially, it just feels right in my hands. the xbox has the worst, with the exception of the wireless controller, i have that and its pretty good. i like the gamecube one, but just for re4, there were too many buttons put in awkward places for all the other games i played.

Ast
I loved the controller S for XBOX, and the gamecube controller was cool, but I am in love with the 360 controller. big grin

El_NINO
what im trying to get around to is that there is nothing technologically new about the xbox 360. They didnt even go with there HD-Drive. What im looking for is into the future for when games get pretty huge and Ps3 will fit them onto one disc. The future looks to hold multi-disc's for the xbox 360 because they wont beable to fit them onto one disc. Can you image being in the middle of your favorite xbox360 game and a black screeen comes up and tells you to switch to disc 2. That is gonna blow for them if they wanna go back into a previous level to..idk maybe unlock something, so they need to change the disc again. That to me will be a hassel. Or how about when SACDs come out and you need a SACD player. Yes, your ps3 will do that too and it will play your BlueRay DVD's when they come out. 2 or 3 years from now when those become standered and your staring at your xbox360, you'll wonder why you didnt go with the system that was looking into the future technologies.

Nintendo won't have to worry about running out of disc space because they wont need to make anything in hi-def plus it wont take much to make there games look pretty because of the new graphic scheme anyways ( already told what it is above ) Overall, yes maybe xbox360 is better than Revolution but it sure is more of a hassel than Revolution will be. And it will NOT be better than ps3 except in there controllers cuz sony sucks at making controllers now i guess. It's like a boomerang or half a steering wheel lol

Heres just a wild question, Can you please mention an idea that might be good for using Blu Ray disc? The only benefit I see is for backing up data. Also how many people will have a HDTV in 2 or 3 years. I know I wont but I will start saving for one because they are cool. Blu Ray discs havent been properly introduced to consumers therefore nobody knows what its ment for which is why we dont see Blu Ray Drives on store shelves because they are too expensive at the moment seein how most people other than companies wouldnt use them. Dont say for holding movies either, I think the lowest BR Disc size so far is 40GB. If these next gen console are to last 10 years its safe to say that BR Discs wont affect which console will be "better" in terms of technology, it simply means PS3 chose BR like Nintendo designing their new controller or Microsoft using 3 CPUs, it just means they are trying to be unique which doesnt always mean they are "better". I agree with you about BRD holding one game however you managed to like PS1 and PS2 when they had multiple discs and for some reason hate that idea now, I never heard a complaint from a Final Fantasy gammer about that or MGS for having multiple cds aswell.

powerfulone1987
Are they really expected to last 10 years?

cruel jedi
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
*awarness*

Concidering it is your mommy that bought the 32 inch, i hardly dought that you have the means of buying anything with your 5$ allowence and babysitting.

That is if you do babysit.

Now re-phrase that.

wat the fuk u playing at?? ****ing noob

powerfulone1987
lol

Phat J
noob is such a stupid word, it makes the person saying it sound so dumb. im not trying to diss you or anything, but its just so stupid.

venomslash
i have xbox 360 and a wega tv but its not HDTV and it still runs fine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.