"Date Movie"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Finally, a shitty genre gets the spoof it deserves.

Date Movie - Trailer

Dr. Strangelove
Yes, it has been long overdue that the romantic comedy genre has gotten a spoof. Is there any other genre that is more repetitive and lame than romantic comedies?

Punker69
It looks awesome. I was crackin up so hard at the "Napolean Dynamite" scene.

Cinemaddiction
BTW, from what I could tell, it was a spoof on;

Bridget Jones' Diary
Shallow Hal
Hitch
Meet the Parents
Napoleon Dynamite
The Wedding Planner

DarkWizard
"Gosh! Gosh! Gosh!"

It's looking pretty funny. DVD material for me though.

Punker69
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Shallow Hal

Is that what the beginning scene in the Preview was? I've been trying to pin my finger on that.

Also "Kill Bill." I think.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Punker69

Also "Kill Bill." I think.

What?!

*watches trailer again*

Punker69
It wasn't on the trailer. I saw a picture of it on Yahoo somewhere (but not in the productions photos)

DarkWizard
BTW, from what I could tell, it was a spoof on;

Bridget Jones' Diary
Shallow Hal
Hitch
Meet the Parents
Napoleon Dynamite
The Wedding Planner

Also "The Wedding Crashers"

Punker69
Dang, I was going to say that but I go it mixed up with "Wedding Planner." lol.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Punker69
Dang, I was going to say that but I go it mixed up with "Wedding Planner." lol.

"Wedding Planner" is in there, with the Jada Pinkett Smith/J.Blo cameo.

Solo
Every shitty genre needs an even shittier spoof.

Neix
amazing. Should be funny.

Wolfie
Actually, I thought the beginning was spoofing Just Friends since she apparently loses weight afterwards.

Anyway, the dancing fat girl at the beginning was getting tired for me. The rest of it I was cracking up though. I didn't laugh once during Napoleon Dynamite, I cracked up with this spoof.

Punker69
"Wedding Planner" is in there, with the Jada Pinkett Smith/J.Blo cameo.

Yeah, I know. I was about to say "Wedding Crashers" when I saw the "Wedding" in "Wedding Planner".I didn't read the rest of it though and thought your already put "Wedding Crashers" in there. Confusing, I know.

Myth
I saw a clip that mocked King Kong as well.

LiL nAstY GirL
And the end with lil john is from MY Best Friend's wedding

Koala MeatPie
That Actually Looks Like A Good Stupid Movie...

That Micheal Jackson it Saved it.

River Wild
If its really good, i will watch it because i take you word for it!

WrathfulDwarf
I should kick myself in the head for making a complete and total dumb mistake like I just did. I had to choose between this movie or Hostel. My mood was for comedy. So I chose Date movie. The only problem was that I sat through the entire film and only laugh only two times. That was it.

If you're going to see this movie thinking you'll get the spoofs and satire of the Scary Movies...stay home! Wait for the DVD.

"Don't vote for Pedro" *beep* genius comedy! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not worth a decent review.

1 out of 5.

BackFire
Yeah, the trailers looked incredibly bad. Sorry you made the wrong decision, WD.

Myth
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

"Don't vote for Pedro" *beep* genius comedy! roll eyes (sarcastic)

That was just horrible because was not clevor at all. However, I still thought the movie was extremely funny. I liked it more than Scary Movie 3 and maybe the other 2 as well.

7/10

BackFire
From the trailers it looked like nothing was clever.

"Oh look, the Napolean Dynamite wannabe tripped and fell down....*cough*".

Myth
The Napolean part was probably the worse part.

Smasandian
What does Kill Bill have to do with "date" movies?

That doesnt make sense to me.

chiller
Is Date Movie a spoof? I got punched so hard in the face by their jokes I couldn't tell.

Seriously, that's one the laziest parodies I've ever seen or read.

Romantic comedies shouldn't have been spoofed in the first place. They're meant to be shallow and full of empty laughs. Making fun of the Meet the Parent's cat is just stupid. It's making fun of a joke. Why not just go out and laugh at a clown for having a red rubber nose?

Wolfie
Originally posted by BackFire
From the trailers it looked like nothing was clever.

"Oh look, the Napolean Dynamite wannabe tripped and fell down....*cough*".
That's a better scene than the entire Napoleon Dynamite movie.

ladygrim
no expression hmmm i dont think ill be watching this , things lke this just dont appeal to me sad

BackFire
Just for those interested, it's in the bottom 100 films of all time at IMDB.com. Gotten some truley awful reviews to go along with the awful trailers.

Arachnoidfreak
I heard this movie was utter garbage.

The Onion gave it an "F", thats good enough for me.

Nevermind
I've heard from a friend that it's awful and IMDB proved that point even more so. If anything I'll wait for this movie to become a weekly. Wasn't even that interested in the first place.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Is it really that bad? The New York Times gave it a good review. I have the choice between this and V for Vendetta tomorrow. What say you, The People?

SnakeEyes
Dude, definitely go see V for Vendetta.

C-Dic
I finally got to see "Date Movie" tonight on DVD and I was so incredibly surprised that I'm sure as hell buying it next Tuesday. I'm well aware that it is rated 2.7/10 on IMDB. It doesn't sway my decision in the least.

The fact of the matter is this. "Date Movie" incorporated some of the funniest, most effective sight gags I have ever seen in a satire, some of which recalling the good old days of the "Naked Gun" franchise. That's a hard, hard thing to do, given the derivative nature of satire. Coming up with fresh and effective gags is unheard of, given even Zucker resorted to re-using many of them in his 2 installments in the "Scary Movie" franchise alone.

Granted, there were some scenes that could have been excised that didn't really help keep the theme intact, i.e. the non-date movie related material like the "Napoleon Dynamite" and "Lord of the Ring" spoofs, as well as some of Nicky's scenes, but overall, it's one of the better spoofs I've seen in recent memory, and much better than "Scary Movie 4" in my opinion.

Lastly, the biggest gripe I've gathered is that it really had no plot. Do any spoof movies?! Actually, it was very easy to follow. Alyson Hannigan's character was just living the cliches of date movies in her everyday life. What's so hard to grasp? Besides, who's looking for PLOT in movies that are out to make light of something, that being their sole purpose?

I'm a huge spoof fan, and I know bad ones when I see them, but I think that "Date Movie" has caught A LOT of unfair flack from people who have a prejudice towards the genre, expect the same amateur "Scary Movie" humor, or just based their opinions off of the trailer, which is incredibly misleading, as 1/4 of it didn't even make it to the movie. This is DEFINATELY worth a rent, IMO, and in my case, a purchase I'll gladly be making.

BackFire
So the humor went further than a fat girl doing something fattish and a shitty Napolean Dynomite impersonator falling down?

Wolfie
The problem today is that people try to get more from a spoof movie than what spoof movies have to offer. They're not supposed to be full of witty jokes and a plotline that makes you think. They're supposed to be silly and fun.

And IMDb ratings don't mean much. So it's in the Bottom 100. That means it got a lot of attention. Cheerleader Massacre is probably the worst movie I've ever seen. But there aren't as many votes for that because no one's seen it.

I had a great time watching Date Movie as well. It's not one of the better spoof movies but I quite enjoyed it. I found it unique from the others as it tried to cram in as many movies as it could in there. Other spoofs work with pace, a half-assed storyline which references other movies. This was just one movie after another.

I found the Napoleon Dynamite part funny, though it's not a "date movie".

I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked it, though I think Scary Movie 4 was better.

BackFire
I just rewatched the trailer. The trailer is terrible, not one remotely clever joke in the trailer. "J-blo". Come on. It's like it's becomming a running joke to try and make the shittiest and most simplistic jokes possible in these spoof movies.

I got the next genre that needs to be spoofed. Spoof movies. Here's the first draft for the "Spoof movie" script.

INT. BEDROOM: NIGHT - Someone is in bed and a lamp falls on them. CUT TO:

EXT: STREET: MORNING - (Insert random trendy movie character) is walking down the street and they trip over something. King Kong then walks by and trips over him, crushing Ann Darrow. He stands up and gets angry realizing what he's done, he then gets hit by a car.

EXT: POOL: AFTERNOON - Some kids are running around the pool, one slips and hits his head. Of course, in classic spoof fashion when he lands on the ground there is a farting sound. Elias from brokeback mountain comes and begins giving him CPR.

EXT: PARK: EVENING - A fat person begins dancing and a cat is smoking a cigarrete on a bench. The end.

Man, this shit writes itself.

I'll probably end up watching the movie in the hopes that it isn't as shitacular as the trailer is.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
EXT: PARK: EVENING - A fat person begins dancing and a cat is smoking a cigarrete on a bench. The end.

That's the best bit right there. I wanna see that!

C-Dic
...and a shitty Napolean Dynomite impersonator falling down?

Not even in the movie.

The trailer is terrible, not one remotely clever joke in the trailer. "J-blo". Come on.

It's "Jell-o", and the actress has a Latino drawl, so it's hardly noticeable even when she says it the one time in passing.

The trailer is pretty misrepresentative. Granted, the whole "Shallow Hal" angle is in there, but otherwise, it's a whole different movie. As far as "Scary Movie 4" being better, I liked it, but too much of what was presented had been done before. On top of that, it was very hit or miss, so when it was funny, it was hilarious, when it wasn't it bombed. "Relax. I'm just grabbing some nuts?" C'mon. The great thing about "Date Movie" is that the VISUAL innuendos surpass that of pretty much every spoof of the past 10 years, IMO. Again, stuff like using Japanese brand names to communicate, with subtitles using perfect English diction is just soooooo stale! I love Zucker/Abrahams/Proft to death, but they have GOT to get a handle on what's funny TODAY if they want "Superhero!" to work.

So, before I go watch "Date Movie" again, I have to say that I feel it's terribly underappreciated.

WrathfulDwarf
Uh-No! No matter how much anyone tries to decorate this movie like some wedding cake is NOT a good spoof nor a good movie. How does this film fail? In some many ways that I don't know where to begin.

Explain to me how does spoofing movies like Episode III, Kill Bill, LOTR, and King Kong work on a film which is INTENDED to spoof romantic films? There is NO explanation at all. Even worse when Date Movie tries to spoof those films it fails to connect on all the jokes and ends up looking like a terrible comedian doing his act in front of an audience. The excuse "it's just a spoof movie...everything goes" is the easiest and most weak attempt to defend this movie.

Here is an example of how terrible the time and the connection of the jokes were. In one scene Alyson tries to be beautiful by "pimping my girlfriend" Next we get a shot of Frankestein Darth Vader and the midget turns into Yoda....

(...)

Ha-ha?

Only TWICE did I laugh during this movie. On the average spoof film I get nearly 20 laughs. Yes, I keep track becuase when something is real funny it sticks to me.

C-Dic
No spoof movie in the past decade has entirely stuck to the genre it's set out to satire, so to expect that. For writers to limit themselves by not taking a swipe at popular movies for a couple of seconds out of a 90 minute movie, given it works, is silly. The spoofs outside of the genre were relevant to the scenes in the movie, so what's the harm?

..and I'm not going to "come to the rescue" of a movie I like, because I respect opinions (only when they have basis). Alyson on the "operating table", being pieced together a la Darth Vader? Would it had been as funny had it been Frankenstein? No. Pop culture, something people can relate to, is what's going to grab them. In fact, in Episode 3, I would have much rather seen Vader fall on his face from the tabel than stumble around crying, which was easily the most embarassing scene in the entire Star Wars franchise.

..and Tony Cox as Yoda? The underlying irony in that, and the basis for the Yoda quip, was that he was an Ewok in ROTJ, Battle for Endor, and The Ewok Adventure. The explanation is in the Director/Writer commentary on the DVD.

Oh, yeah, and he's small..like Yoda.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by C-Dic
..and Tony Cox as Yoda? The underlying irony in that, and the basis for the Yoda quip, was that he was an Ewok in ROTJ, Battle for Endor, and The Ewok Adventure. The explanation is in the Director/Writer commentary on the DVD.

Don't forget he was also in Spaceballs playing opposite a Yoda satire.

BackFire
Not even in the movie.

Well that's good. It makes me wonder if they intentionally made the trailer look as shitty as possible.

I read in reviews, from people actually trying to figure out what exactly caused this movies failure, that it failed because it's trying to spoof many pure comedy movies which are simply funnier and more clever than Date Movie. Like the Meet the Parents/Faukers spoof where the cat is trained to use the toilet to shit, which was kinda clever and quircky in it's original form in Meet the Parents, but, HAHA!, when he does it in this movie there's loud plops and farts! HOHOHO!

Anyways, it seems like a valid reason as to why this movie would fail. You can't spoof something if the original version is funnier than the spoof.

WrathfulDwarf

So now I have to watch the DVD and listen to Director's commentary to get the joke? Come on Cinema....how does that work when you're in Movie theather? And Cox was an Ewok in ROTJ.

And? He also play a warrior in Willow....the point?

I've always said that comedy works differently on different tastes. But this wasn't a comedy....it was trying to be a comedy.

Hey BF! Rent it this tuesday and judge for yourself. I'll like to know your response after watching the film.

BackFire
I dunno, I'm really hesitant at spending money on this movie. I've yet to hear something about this movie that doesn't sound shitty as hell.

WrathfulDwarf
You know me....I always advocate watching a movie before commenting....just check it out. If the first 15 minutes you don't laugh then turn it off....do it as charity....stick out tongue

BackFire
Yeah, I might...I might.

C-Dic
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
So now I have to watch the DVD and listen to Director's commentary to get the joke? Come on Cinema....how does that work when you're in Movie theather? And Cox was an Ewok in ROTJ.

And? He also play a warrior in Willow....the point?

I've always said that comedy works differently on different tastes. But this wasn't a comedy....it was trying to be a comedy.

Hey BF! Rent it this tuesday and judge for yourself. I'll like to know your response after watching the film.

I mentioned his involvement in ROTJ, and my point was that there's a "Star Wars" connection. He being made up as Yoda was just thrown in there because he's small, and like Luke, he's taken Julia under his wing, as he's a mentor. It shouldn't be so hard to explain such an obvious little comparison, man! I mean, if it wasn't funny to you, that's fine. I wasn't roaring, but it was clever, IMO. Hardly complex.

There's no problem with the movie tackling so many different movies, as every single one of those movies has the same underlying theme. They incorporated multiple CHARACTERS that may have spoiled it somewhat, but not for me. They even touched on old romantic comedies that nobody even barely remembers, i.e. "When Harry Met Sally", "Say Anything", and "Sweet Home Alabama". Movies that High Schoolers today have probably never even heard of.

There's some racious comedy, but keeping in mind the demographic that would actually SEE this movie, being middle aged gals, and whom it was MARKETED to, I can see why it failed to entertain. That said, it was hardly a loss. It made a great profit at the box office, and I like to think it was earned.

dills
Looks terrible to me. I'll never watch this. I usually go for this sort of thing to. Looks cheap and cheesy to me.

LanceWindu
I dunno, I'm really hesitant at spending money on this movie. I've yet to hear something about this movie that doesn't sound shitty as hell.

I saw it and I can say I never laughed once during the viewing, and I LOVE comedies and spoofs.

Wolfie
I just noticed today that Date Movie is no longer on the IMDb Bottom 100 list.

Strangelove
A pity erm

JDFE
I seen it today and it was FUNNYISH, some funny moments and some shit moments

ill rate it 7/10.

Best bit was when the fire guys blasted her with the water hose.!

The Core
Originally posted by Wolfie
I just noticed today that Date Movie is no longer on the IMDb Bottom 100 list.

It doesn't belong there. Not that IMDB is any constitution of quality, especially considering a lot of people there vote with prejudice, having never even seen the movie. Spoof movies this day and age are always going to get downvoted for a multitude of reasons. Parody is one of them.

.Dance_Inside.
probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I actually hated it...i turned it off half way through

holy **** it was horrible!!

Wolfie
Originally posted by The Core
It doesn't belong there. Not that IMDB is any constitution of quality, especially considering a lot of people there vote with prejudice, having never even seen the movie. Spoof movies this day and age are always going to get downvoted for a multitude of reasons. Parody is one of them.
Yeah, but it was an argument against the film (page or two back) that it was on the list.

I don't respect the Bottom list very much because it's always changing, adding the newest crap movies that are nowhere as near as bad as older ones, with only a few movies that remain constant on there.

Darth Vicious
I saw this movie on HBO or Cinemax and I was really glad I didnt pay to see it or rent it. This movie is awful.

JDFE
How come no1 likes this movie? confused

The Core
Because people can't appreciate stupid humor for the sake of stupid humor. I know full well what I'm getting myself into when I watch movies like this. That said, I thought this one was a great take off of a LOT of romantic comedies that the age demographic probably wouldn't have even seen, i.e. "When Harry Met Sally", "My Best Friends Wedding".

I loved it, and what other people think of said fact doesn't bother me.

JDFE
Originally posted by The Core
Because people can't appreciate stupid humor for the sake of stupid humor. I know full well what I'm getting myself into when I watch movies like this. That said, I thought this one was a great take off of a LOT of romantic comedies that the age demographic probably wouldn't have even seen, i.e. "When Harry Met Sally", "My Best Friends Wedding".

I loved it, and what other people think of said fact doesn't bother me.

Well said.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Date Movie was funny in parts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.