3 questions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules
OK I have 3 questions which may or may not be good but I really have to know cause it is buuging me.

1) In ESB, when vader is truck on the arm by lukes lightsabre shouldn't his arm have fallen off?
2) When Luke hit vader with his lightsabre, vader clutched his arm so why didn't Luke kill vader when vader stalled?
3) When vader lost his fake hand it killed him but why, it wasn't connected to anything important?

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by steverules
OK I have 3 questions which may or may not be good but I really have to know cause it is buuging me.

1) In ESB, when vader is truck on the arm by lukes lightsabre shouldn't his arm have fallen off?
2) When Luke hit vader with his lightsabre, vader clutched his arm so why didn't Luke kill vader when vader stalled?
3) When vader lost his fake hand it killed him but why, it wasn't connected to anything important?

1) it graced his shoulder pad
2) I don't know
3) He died because palps lightning shorted out his life support system

4) Its over...move on

steverules
Uh yeah thanx.

KENobi™

2. He wasn't trying to kill Vader, he knew there was still good in him.

SpyCspider
heh..i think when the OT was made, lightsabers were not kickass weapons we all know today...meaning, being able to cut through anything, etc (which was shown right in the beginning of TPM when Qui-gon jabbed it through layers of enforced doors)

They were just very powerful swords, and Vader's armor probably had some protection. So did Grievous bodyguards' staffs, as we find out later.

steverules
I'm not so sure that it was the lightning that shorted out vaders life support system, cause none of the lightning touched vader, it went into the emperors face. Thats why he didn't hit vader with the lightning.

Joseph_Kerr
Steve watch ROTJ again. The lightning clearly hits Vader (we see his skull through the mask). The lightning shorted out his life support system and probably did physical damage to Anakin himself.

kamikz
Yeah you can see the smoke of his suit.

2. Luke didn't kill Vader (as mentioned above) because he was his father and he belived he could still be turned. Also because the Emperor wanted him to kill him, therefore proving that he was a real jedi by not doing it.

Tangible God

3) When vader lost his fake hand it killed him but why, it wasn't connected to anything important? I know they've been answered, but ah well;

1.) True, lightsabers back then weren't the badass mofo blades we know from the PT. According to....Shadow of the Empire I think....Vader was reminiscing to himself over his injury, which was but a mere cut.

2.) He paused for a moment to take in what happened, and in that time he realized the irony of both Father and Son lopping off each other's right hands, and noticed he was "following the same dark path his father had taken."

3.) No, it was not the loss of his hand that killed him. Notice how he stood up pretty quickly afterwards. It was Palpatine's lightning. When he picked the Emperor up, the lightning arched through AND around Palpatine and hit Vader squarely in the head and the back. Like Joseph said, you can clearly make out Vader's skull, AND you can clearly see the lightning that was still sparking through his system.

DiamondBullets

No, it wasn't intended to cut his arm off, it was just a debilitating move. It was exactly what Dooku did to Kenobi in the hangar on Geonosis.

steverules
Just so you know, when I said vader stalled and clutched his arm and luke didn't kill him, I'm talkin about ESB not ROTJ.

Cascador
About 2, some are mistaken that Luke didn't want to kill Vader...in ESB he wanted to kill Vader cause he didn't know Vader is his father, he was after revenge because he thought Vader killed his father, but that changed in ROTJ. So the reason why he didn't kill Vader is because he didn't have a chance because he is not skilled enough to fight like a true Jedi.

steverules
sounds about right.

Ushgarak
I am pretty sure sabres WERE always that good. Luke cutting into the AT-AT, for example.

steverules
True, and we all know that AT-AT armour is stronger than vaders shoulder pad or whatever Lukes lightsabre hit.

Cascador
Well Look how Luke is fighting...he is more defending himself than attacking, cause he's no match for Vader. He didn't swing really hard enough to cut Vader's arm off. He got lucky (or not since it caused his hand chopped off) to hit his armour.

steverules
Well to be honest it should have actually bought vader to his knees, since that part of his arm is flesh and not metal.

SpyCspider
Just so you know, when I said vader stalled and clutched his arm and luke didn't kill him, I'm talkin about ESB not ROTJ.

I actually had a post waiting to mention that, but then it seemed like everybody was answering it in terms of the final ROTJ fight and you didn't respond...so heh. Also cuz I don't remember Vader clutching his arm when Luke grazed him....i just remember his "awwrrrrruuhh!!" smile

steverules
Yeah and then he just snapped, for an evil guy he is quite calm.

Tangible God
I've always wondered about Vader's shoulder too. Frankly I feel it should of taken it right off, but it was probably just put in there out of cool necessity, also so that all those days of training under Yoda weren't for nothing.

My personal theory is that Vader's armour is made out of a material that is semi-reistant to lightsaber blades, e.g. Cortosis.

exanda kane
I think I've heard that, or Heavy Durastell plating. Something like that...

And although an AT-AT may have thicker plating adn armour isn't it possible that the Emporer might have kitted his servant and right hand man with armour, although lighter, a little more efficient than your avergae AT-At? just a thought....

Tangible God
Yep, I think the Emperor cares alot more for the well-being of his longest-lasting, loyalist, and most powerful servant, than the possible death of a few grunts.

exanda kane
Originally posted by exanda kane
I think I've heard that, or Heavy Durastell plating. Something like that...

And although an AT-AT may have thicker plating adn armour isn't it possible that the Emporer might have kitted his servant and right hand man with armour, although lighter, a little more efficient than your avergae AT-At? just a thought....

Blame the keyboard! Damn typos....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.