Eating Disorders

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DanieLs_4_Ever
Seem to be over-populating the world, especially in teenage girls. I just dont understand why a 97 lb girl would think she is fat or needs to lose weight. I know it's having to do with a mental dysfunction of the brain, but yet, still I don't understand it. erm
Im part of a community board and one of the topic-boards is ED's and I'm trying my best to help those who are suffering from an ED.
Anway, I searched and found no topic discussion on this so I thought I'd start this and see what you all thought.

PVS
you are trying to help people with ED and want to learn about it?
i really hope not in that order

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by DanieLs_4_Ever

I know it's having to do with a mental dysfunction of the brain, but yet, still I don't understand it.

Excellent sentence.

I'm not quite sure how eating disorders are responsible for population explosion, but there we go.

Much of the moral blame lies with the media, which perpetuates a myth of the perfect figure. Lately the trashier magazines have attempted to redress the balance by saying people are too skinny, rather than too fat.

Not only is this a misplaced gesture that confirms culpability, but it continues to put out the wrong message.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS

Exactly, how scarey is that!? Also just saying,"I know it's having to do with a mental dysfunction of the brain, but yet, still I don't understand it. " is scarey. Aside form a supposed "dysfunction of the brain", there's peer pressure, self identity issues, family issues, media influence and a slew of other things to deal with here.

Trying to help somebody (when you lack the proper training) with an issue that you neither understand or are familiar with is a recipe for disaster.

Good intentions, bad idea.

Darth Jello
Body image dysmorphia. Garbage's Shirley Manson is probably the most famous person to admit suffering from it.

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by PVS
Yeah, I've always studied it and tried to figure it out.
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Excellent sentence.

I'm not quite sure how eating disorders are responsible for population explosion, but there we go.

Much of the moral blame lies with the media, which perpetuates a myth of the perfect figure. Lately the trashier magazines have attempted to redress the balance by saying people are too skinny, rather than too fat.

Not only is this a misplaced gesture that confirms culpability, but it continues to put out the wrong message.
Thanks. wink
And you're so TOTALLY right about the magazines and such, all those ads of the skinny frail girls make teen viewers wish they look just liked them, so they experiment, and end up becoming addicted to their disorder. But in many cases, that is not what the problem is. Some girls just hate their body and believe that they truly are fat.

Victor Von Doom
But in many cases, that is not what the problem is. Some girls just hate their body and believe that they truly are fat.

Yes, but this is, in the case of eating disorders, an irrational belief. The catalyst has to come from somewhere.

DanieLs_4_Ever
Yes, but this is, in the case of eating disorders, an irrational belief. The catalyst has to come from somewhere.
Irrational, how so?

Victor Von Doom
Irrational, how so?

If you are slimming beyong the point of health, then it is irrational.

Alpha Centauri
Eating disorders. I'm sure there's a pun there somewhere.

-AC

DanieLs_4_Ever
If you are slimming beyong the point of health, then it is irrational.
True. Like that 44lb (I estimated) woman on Entertainment Tonight on TV, that was...*twitch*

Victor Von Doom
3 stones and 2lbs?

Surely not.

DanieLs_4_Ever
3 stones and 2lbs?

Surely not.
Yeah. Ill even find an article on her for you. She was beyond skinny. She was skin and bones. And she even told the camera, while looking in the mirror, that she was still fat.

Uberking Robert
Is it an eating disorder if you like to eat a lot? I mean, it's not like emotional eating or whatever queers call it and you're not really hungry and just like the way food tastes?

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by Uberking Robert
Is it an eating disorder if you like to eat a lot? I mean, it's not like emotional eating or whatever queers call it and you're not really hungry and just like the way food tastes?
Um...No. There are different types of eating disorders.
Anorexia- You do not eat at all.
Bulimia- You eat, and throw it all back up.
Compulsive Over-Eating - Self Explanatory.

soleran30

LOL emotional eating thats priceless.

PVS

queers? how the hell do 'queers' fit into this topic?

DanieLs_4_Ever
Lol. Beats me.

Hit_and_Miss
This is the way I see it...

Your Brain is like a Computer.. You have spent you life learning and programing your brain to act in a way thats best for your survival..

Now I can't for the life of my figure out how people can be fat!, But thats just me! While I have a fear of spiders, Others don't. Now if I tried to break my progamed mind and like spiders...well... It would be very hard todo! The same with ED's.. There mind can't just be turned round.. They need alot of work... Work you can't provide...

FeceMan
Originally posted by PVS
queers? how the hell do 'queers' fit into this topic?
It doesn't matter. I laughed.

Adam_PoE
I just dont understand why a 97 lb girl would think she is fat or needs to lose weight. I know it's having to do with a mental dysfunction of the brain, but yet, still I don't understand it. erm

Actually, it has nothing to do with a brain disfunction. The causes of eating disorders are:

Low self esteem.

Perfectionism.

Loneliness, emptiness, depression, anxiety, or anger.

Feelings of inadequacy or lack of control.

Darth Jello
body image dysmorphia is a disease where you're brain sees something different when you view your own body than what's actually there. People with BID who look in the mirror may weigh a hundred pounds but what they see is literally a 170 pound person, or that they're nose is too big or that they have aesthetic defects that aren't actually there.

Aziz!
I'm a bullimic that forgets to throw up...

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
This is the way I see it...

Your Brain is like a Computer.. You have spent you life learning and programing your brain to act in a way thats best for your survival..

Now I can't for the life of my figure out how people can be fat!, But thats just me! While I have a fear of spiders, Others don't. Now if I tried to break my progamed mind and like spiders...well... It would be very hard todo! The same with ED's.. There mind can't just be turned round.. They need alot of work... Work you can't provide...
Which is where the medical field comes in.

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Actually, it has nothing to do with a brain disfunction. The causes of eating disorders are:

Low self esteem.

Perfectionism.

Feelings of inadequacy or lack of control.
Those ARE factors, but it DOES have something to with what the brain makes the person think of themselve/see of themselves, therefore, that is another factor.

Tha C-Master
Excellent sentence.

Not only is this a misplaced gesture that confirms culpability, but it continues to put out the wrong message. I believe it lies more on the person's past, and how they were raised, its psychological...

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
I believe it lies more on the person's past, and how they were raised, its psychological...

'Much of the moral blame lies with...etc'.

For me, that's no incentive to starve myself to death. It might be to someone with psychological issues. That was implied in the concept.

DanieLs_4_Ever
'Much of the moral blame lies with...etc'.

For me, that's no incentive to starve myself to death. It might be to someone with psychological issues. That was implied in the concept.
Yeah, I just dont see how Ex: Someones Dad kills themselves when they were young and that contributes to a girl turning to bulimia for an answer. I just dont see that happening.
Trauma can cause it in SOME cases, but I think it's in the head.

Captain REX
Wait, you're trying to help people with something you know NOTHING about? I pity the anorexics, and not because they're killing themselves.

Trauma can do a lot of things. A LOT of things. You haven't experienced such trauma, nor do you know someone that has (though, I don't know that you don't), so you wouldn't know.

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by Captain REX
Wait, you're trying to help people with something you know NOTHING about? I pity the anorexics, and not because they're killing themselves.

Trauma can do a lot of things. A LOT of things. You haven't experienced such trauma, nor do you know someone that has (though, I don't know that you don't), so you wouldn't know.
Well everyone seems to be misunderstanding me, I DID say that I was trying to help them but I DID NOT say that I WAS going to help them and tutor them and try to bring them back from the dead, like you all seem to think I've said.
And you dont have to be so rude, just because someone isn't going through something that someone else is, doesn't mean that they cant at least try to help. It doesn't mean they do not know what the other person is feeling. It's bullshit if you think so; Sorry.

Tha C-Master
You don't understand, these people don't THINK rationally like you or I do... they don't think much at all, they feel. When they DO these things, like bulimia or starving, they may feel "beautiful" or in control. Like I said its not rational, or logical, its self-destructive.

Yeah, I just dont see how Ex: Someones Dad kills themselves when they were young and that contributes to a girl turning to bulimia for an answer. I just dont see that happening.
Trauma can cause it in SOME cases, but I think it's in the head. Instead of researching things like "bulimia" I think you should broaden your search, to "self destructive habits" or the "affects of trauma".

I'm a rational thinker, and I don't understand how slashing your wrists will solve anything either.

People that are highly traumatized aren't mentally stable, and WILL do irrational, illogical, and self destructive things. I *was* in a romantic relationship with one, whom I still talk to... people like that think of what feels right at the moment, at no matter the consequence, but as we all know what feels right isn't always what *is* right.

Victor Von Doom
You don't understand, these people don't THINK rationally like you or I do... they don't think much at all, they feel. When they DO these things, like bulimia or starving, they may feel "beautiful" or in control. Like I said its not rational, or logical, its self-destructive.

Is this addressed to me?

Tha C-Master
Is this addressed to me? No I was addressing Daniels...

Victor Von Doom
No I was addressing Daniels...

Oh. I was trying to work out the relevance.

Alpha Centauri
It doesn't mean they do not know what the other person is feeling. It's bullshit if you think so; Sorry.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. If you haven't lost a parent, you can't claim to know what it feels like. If you've not had an eating disorder, you can't say what it's like to have one.

-AC

debbiejo
Originally posted by Adam_PoE

Low self esteem.

Perfectionism.

Feelings of inadequacy or lack of control. Yep, read the same thing.

Captain REX
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Yes, that's exactly what it means. If you haven't lost a parent, you can't claim to know what it feels like. If you've not had an eating disorder, you can't say what it's like to have one.

-AC

Thank you, AC. Precisely my point, though it was about trauma, not eating disorders. wink

Quiero Mota
How come its mostly white chicks with anorexia? You don't see many sistaz or latinas with eating problems. In fact they don't care what you think, they KNOW they're fine. Why can't white girls be the same way, instead of making themselves vomit after eating a damn peice of pizza?

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
How come its mostly white chicks with anorexia? You don't see many sistaz or latinas with eating problems. In fact they don't care what you think, they KNOW they're fine. Why can't white girls be the same way, instead of making themselves vomit after eating a damn peice of pizza?

Quiero Mota
Those university polls/tests are flawed, homes. They only concentrate on college students, not the whole population. A black or latino attending Weslyan University is probably an Unlce Tom, and are trying really hard to be accepted by the white population. I'm from south Phoeinx and have known blacks and latinos my entire life, and I am latino and can tell you that most of our women dont have self-esteem issues. A university poll of students doesn't mean a damn thing, ese. Like I said, it's mostly and overwhelmingly a white girl issue. And my question is why?

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Those university polls/tests are flawed, homes. They only concentrate on college students, not the whole population. A black or latino attending Weslyan University is probably an Unlce Tom, and are trying really hard to be accepted by the white population. I'm from south Phoeinx and have known blacks and latinos my entire life, and I am latino and can tell you that most of our women dont have self-esteem issues. A university poll of students doesn't mean a damn thing, ese. Like I said, it's mostly and overwhelmingly a white girl issue. And my question is why?

The study was conducted by researchers at Wesleyan University. The study was of 613 white and black pre-adolescent girls. Learn to read.

K.Diddy
Seem to be over-populating the world, especially in teenage girls. I just dont understand why a 97 lb girl would think she is fat or needs to lose weight. I know it's having to do with a mental dysfunction of the brain, but yet, still I don't understand it. erm
Im part of a community board and one of the topic-boards is ED's and I'm trying my best to help those who are suffering from an ED.
Anway, I searched and found no topic discussion on this so I thought I'd start this and see what you all thought.

I know what your saying and I know some skinny girls that harldly eat cause they think they are fat.

But I have to admit Fat girls suck. no expression

Imaginary
Originally posted by K.Diddy

roll eyes (sarcastic)

botankus
When Disorders collide:
hooverpuke

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by K.Diddy
I know what your saying and I know some skinny girls that harldly eat cause they think they are fat.

Im happy to hear of what you said about the first part. The second part was kind of quite rude. Most people cant even control their weight, especially when it's in the 200's and up. Big people can be beautiful too. They do not suck.

shaber
Mental illness exacerbated by society's unnatural standards. Examples of this are everywhere. In China it used to be a rule that girls had their feet bound, in some east asian looking area near Thailand women used to have bands put around their necks to elongate them, and there is a place in Africa where obesity is considered 'attractive' in men. The standard which says being underweight is a benchmark for being attractive is just as grotesque as all this.

Madman_V3N0M
It's a question of metabolism, some people get fat harder, some easyer. Also it depends on how much you eat during childhood, cause the fatter you are then the more fat cells you will have for the rest of your life.
The only solution to this is healthy eating, I mean fries, hamburgers and cola don't constitute a healthy meal, they're a snack that you eat from time to time(1-2 times a month).
And in my opinion no fat}{ is just as bad as too much fat( ).

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by shaber
Mental illness exacerbated by society's unnatural standards. Examples of this are everywhere. In China it used to be a rule that girls had their feet bound, in some east asian looking area near Thailand women used to have bands put around their necks to elongate them, and there is a place in Africa where obesity is considered 'attractive' in men. The standard which says being underweight is a benchmark for being attractive is just as grotesque as all this.
Beauty is everywhere. People just can't see it when they look in their reflection of the mirror.

Originally posted by Madman_V3N0M
It's a question of metabolism, some people get fat harder, some easyer. Also it depends on how much you eat during childhood, cause the fatter you are then the more fat cells you will have for the rest of your life.
The only solution to this is healthy eating, I mean fries, hamburgers and cola don't constitute a healthy meal, they're a snack that you eat from time to time(1-2 times a month).
And in my opinion no fat}{ is just as bad as too much fat( ).
True, it is a question of metabolism, but not solely, considering some girls that have eating disorders automatically THINK that they will get fat if they eat, or eat and do not throw it up. They may be right, they may be wrong. I'm a junkie when it comes to junk food. I'm enjoying the metabolism while I have it because I eat like a damn rhino..or whatever animal eats a lot lol.

Madman_V3N0M
Hippos?

Kelly_LS
Either one, meh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.