Police - Service or Force?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
What would better describe the police in your country - Police force or Police Service?

Do you think this matters? Should it be a force or should it be a service? Are police there to protect us, or control us?

What are your thoughts?

Bardock42
I think the Police is there to protect the citizens of a country, nothing more....they should only be a "force" where it is necessary to do just that. And they shouldn't be a tool of the government to achieve their own goals.

PVS
i think it depends on the individual officer.
they have the option of either being a servant to the people,
or an abuser of power, or somewhere in between.

Wonderer
The police should be there to protect us. But where I live, they are as corrupt as the criminals they profess to be against. They even kill, rape and join into organised crime here.

botankus
PVS is right. It has everything to do with the mindset of the human who has taken on that role. They are not bad or good because they chose to accept that employment position - it's what they make of it to the community that determines that.

Jedi Priestess
This is hard to answer because they vary from town to town Ive found. It should be to protect and serve with force being used only when necessary. Unfortunately thats not the way it goes down alot of the time. Some places Ive lived has had a really good police force, while some have had what resembles a joke in uniform. In the last town I lived we had one cop and we literally called him Barney Fife because of his actions. laughing out loud Where I live now they are just a joke. They aren't abusive or anything but these dummies will take 5 cars, sirens screaming to a car backing into a post accident. roll eyes (sarcastic) What PVS said is right. If they are under the impression that they are above the law while upholding the law that's when you get a crappy police officer. Also, the mindset of the person they are dealing with plays into it alot I think.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
i think it depends on the individual officer.
they have the option of either being a servant to the people,
or an abuser of power, or somewhere in between.

But there are independent bodies, which police the police - so there must be a set rules of how one officer can or cannot act, no?

debbiejo
There's good cops, bad cops. I've heard that some have a quota to deal with. Many just like the power. But off duty they can be quite fine. My uncle was a Sargent and always had a stash of different guns that they had confiscated...

I guess it just depends on the person.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
But there are independent bodies, which police the police - so there must be a set rules of how one officer can or cannot act, no?

There is Internal Affairs but many times that doesnt work for various reasons.

botankus
If you floor it when their lights come on, they all turn into bad cops for the chasee.

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm, I think police should serve law and justice, thus protecting society, both as a whole and on an individual level. And keep order and all that.

In Australia I would say we have a police service - fairly good, though often tentative about using force, even when it is justifiable (Cronulla, Redfern "riots" being an example) - it's all about balance... using the right amount of force to do the job, knowing what's just enough, and what's to much.

debbiejo
Originally posted by botankus
If you floor it when their lights come on, they all turn into bad cops for the chasee. Yeah, they love that.....Turnin on the siren going fast.....Like their playing cop..... blink Only problem is THEY ARE!

Bardock42
Oh yes, the cops in my country I believe are mostly rather good, they don't misuse their power to any extend that it is know publicly. Then again probably the rules are stricter on them.

Jedi Priestess
If you floor it when their lights come on, they all turn into bad cops for the chasee.

bwahahahahaha! hysterical oh god that cracked me up laughing out loud

lil bitchiness
What do you think your Police's job is - in your country - to keep the peace or catch the criminals? Both?

Can they do this without excessive force?

Jedi Priestess
Both and not always.

debbiejo
What do you think your Police's job is - in your country - to keep the peace or catch the criminals? Both?

Can they do this without excessive force? Both with balance. In smaller towns there not much for them to do just like the fire department, so when someone is pulled over....WHOAH BABY they all want to be there. Party on the side of the road, lookie lookie I got someone....Lets talk on the little walkie talkie...

A little too into it, I think.

Imperial_Samura

They are kind of integrated - catching crims is an aspect of keeping the peace, so while prevention is better then cure police aren't always able to prevent crime, but picking up the pieces is sometimes a part of the job. And really, stopping people from turning to crime doesn't just rest with the police (as a deterrent) but with social measures. But the police have to be there when people decide to turn to crime.

And hopefully, most of the time, but not always.

botankus
Originally posted by debbiejo
Both with balance. In smaller towns there not much for them to do just like the fire department, so when someone is pulled over....WHOAH BABY they all want to be there. Party on the side of the road, lookie lookie I got someone....Lets talk on the little walkie talkie...

A little too into it, I think.

Yeah, this is a problem for people in small towns. I knew some guy who got pulled just for speeding and BOOM - five cop cars are surrounding him. In a small town, everyone knows everybody. He felt that if someone drove by and saw his truck surrounded by five cop cars, they'd all think he had committed a major crime.

KharmaDog
When I was a kid (young teenager) I was running late for school, real late. I was running down the street and remembered my mom saying ,"if you ever need help, just look for a police officer."

I saw a cop car and ran over, told him I was late for school and asked if he could give me a lift. He said, "Sure".

Me not knowing better, I hopped in the back seat. Anyways, he took me to school, had to let me out of the back seat (in front of the whole school which made me an instant baddass by reputation) and I thanked him. His response was that his job was to SERVE AND PROTECT.

I don't think there are many cops out there like that anymore, but it sure was a good experience to have when you are a kid.

Jedi Priestess
Yeah, this is a problem for people in small towns. I knew some guy who got pulled just for speeding and BOOM - five cop cars are surrounding him. In a small town, everyone knows everybody. He felt that if someone drove by and saw his truck surrounded by five cop cars, they'd all think he had committed a major crime.

blink ok Ive come to the conclusion that my posts must be in invisible ink or something since I just said that. messed

Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
In the last town I lived we had one cop and we literally called him Barney Fife because of his actions. laughing out loud Where I live now they are just a joke. They aren't abusive or anything but these dummies will take 5 cars, sirens screaming to a car backing into a post accident.

PVS

"excessive force" is very subjective.
i believe that being a cop has its risks and they know that when they sign up.
so there is a line they must see, where a strong element of danger requires preventive force, but on the other hand, force shoud not be used excessively in the slightest possibility of danger.
with that said, i see excessive force bordering on disciplinary torture in the news via tasers, and its always with non-white people.

cop pulls over white woman with a suspended license, arrest ensues-

cop- ma'am please step out of the care
woman- NO!!! NO NO NO!!! I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!
cop- ma'am, please. i'm only doing my job
woman- YOU CANT DO THIS TO ME!!! (endless dramatic rant)
cop- please ma'am, you need to step out of the vehicle
woman- more endless ranting and refusal
cop- *calls for backup*
*5 cop cars show up and all officers proceed to politely beg her to get out of the car.*
woman- *refuses requests still and proceeds to cry 'police brutality'*
cops- *all proceed to force her out of the car with pushing, pulling, and begging*
woman- "POLICE BRUTALITY!!!!" *more endless crying and ranting*

ok, now a black woman gets pulled over with a suspended license, arrest ensues-

cop- *calls for backup* ma'am please step out of the car
woman- NO!!! NO NO NO!!! I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!
cop- ma'am, please. i'm only going to ask you one more time, and if you don't exit the vehicle you are resisting arrest.
woman- YOU CANT DO THIS TO ME!!! (dramatic rant)
cop- *pulls out taser* *zap*
woman- *drops out of car screaming and writhing in excruciating pain*

botankus
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
blink ok Ive come to the conclusion that my posts must be in invisible ink or something since I just said that. messed

My invisible ink decipherers are in the other car. I guess you could interpret my reiterating post as, "I agree and that's happened somewhere else and here's a point of view from somebody that's had that happened to them."

Jedi Priestess
Oh no it wasnt that at all. Nevermind me, Im tired.

lil bitchiness
Its different in America - police carry guns (just as majority of population does) and its all shoot-to-kill.

I understand the case above, but as apolice officers he should have had other means of getting the woman out of the car - but this is from a British policing stance. Every country believes they have the best police systems.

debbiejo
Its different in America - police carry guns (just as majority of population does) and its all shoot-to-kill.

I understand the case above, but as apolice officers he should have had other means of getting the woman out of the car - but this is from a British policing stance. Every country believes they have the best police systems. Too many police are over exuberant here, I feel.
Though in some parts of Europe I heard they just carry bobby sticks? No guns...Is this true?.....and how is the crime there compared to here?..Does it make a difference with no guns?

pr1983
Well in ireland guns are illegal, so the average cop only carries a baton... and our crime is bad, but nowhere near on the scale of the usa...

PVS
police carry guns (just as majority of population does)

i just caught this. absolutely untrue in regards to the majority.

Bardock42
Originally posted by KharmaDog
When I was a kid (young teenager) I was running late for school, real late. I was running down the street and remembered my mom saying ,"if you ever need help, just look for a police officer."

I saw a cop car and ran over, told him I was late for school and asked if he could give me a lift. He said, "Sure".

Me not knowing better, I hopped in the back seat. Anyways, he took me to school, had to let me out of the back seat (in front of the whole school which made me an instant baddass by reputation) and I thanked him. His response was that his job was to SERVE AND PROTECT.

I don't think there are many cops out there like that anymore, but it sure was a good experience to have when you are a kid.
good example of what I think a cop should be like (well and besides helping people they could catch a criminal once in a while....which is basically helping the people too.)

debbiejo
I think most people have guns in their homes, but you need a special permit to carry a gun on your own person.

botankus
About half the people I know own guns, and none of them carry them (unless they're hunting). I don't live in a neighborhood rivaling those in Boyz N' The Hood or The Godfather.

PVS
Originally posted by debbiejo
I think most people have guns in their homes, but you need a special permit to carry a gun on your own person.

yes, and they don't give away carrier permits like goverment cheese

botankus
I did get shot at a few times on the way to work this morning. At lunch I'll dodge a couple more bullets, and then it's constant drive-bys for me on the way home. If I'm lucky at night, I might get to have a beer or soda before I have to start ducking from my walls getting shredded with uzi fire.

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS
yes, and they don't give away carrier permits like goverment cheese True and they make it harder now with back ground checks and waiting periods for new gun registers. Most people I know just have them in their homes.....

Lots of Militias up here where I live...Terry Nichols homes is within an hour drive...

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
i just caught this. absolutely untrue in regards to the majority.

And by carry, i meant own. Statistics are clear, and evidently exclude you. Majority own them.

WrathfulDwarf
We pay the police salaries with our taxes. They should provide a service to protect our communities. If they fail we have a right to demand changes.

Ushgarak
Not 100% certain about that majority thing, Lil.

I have no problem with the word 'Force'. Their main job is to enforce the law, after all.

ash007
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
We pay the police salaries with our taxes. They should provide a service to protect our communities. If they fail we have a right to demand changes.

yeah but don't also the Police pay taxes as well. So theoretically i could say they are self employed. wink

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Not 100% certain about that majority thing, Lil.

I have no problem with the word 'Force'. Their main job is to enforce the law, after all.

Yes, I agree, the word "force" as such is acceptable, but I think Lil B might have refered to the overly excessive use of force.

At least I took it that way, reading it again I am not sure actually.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yes, I agree, the word "force" as such is acceptable, but I think Lil B might have refered to the overly excessive use of force.

At least I took it that way, reading it again I am not sure actually.

thumb up

Such as the 1985 John Shorthouse case, and the James Ashley one...etc.

ElectricCrow
Police Force. No question.

I know many people who have joined the force strictly to get back at the world for having treated them so wrong in thier youth. Too many cops hide behind their badge while having no accountability for their actions whatsoever.

There are however many good cops scattered around, but more often than not, police work is like legal crime.

I also think no judge in this country should be able to hold a bench for more than 4 years.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by ElectricCrow

I know many people who have joined the force strictly to get back at the world for having treated them so wrong in thier youth. Too many cops hide behind their badge while having no accountability for their actions whatsoever.

There are however many good cops scattered around, but more often than not, police work is like legal crime.

I also think no judge in this country should be able to hold a bench for more than 4 years.

The judge comment was a bit random...

Ok, but do you think it should be a force, or service? You know like, do you think they should act on the greater good of the community, interacting with people, gaining trust, etc...as opposed to enforcment policing, when they sit at the station and wait for someone to report something bad.

What do you think about stop and search?

Bardock42
To add to my post before. I also think the rules are actually there to aid the people, so if they are pointless (meaning no one gets hared) enforcing them jsut for some strange sense of morality is wrong. Now I know that the Police needs to stick to the Laws, but maybe some laws should be changed then.

botankus
The judge comment was a bit random...

That's kind of like when celebrities throw in political gibberish at the end of their Academy Award acceptance speech.

ElectricCrow
I don't think my Judge comment was random at all. You are talking about enforcement of the law and the two go hand in hand.

People should appreciate a certain level of aptitude enabling them to do both, enforce the law while establishing themselves within a community. Right now we have 9 Judge Dredd Officers for every 1 Peace Officer.

It doesn't matter though because nothing is going to change. It won't be long before we are all living in a police state and all of our police officer are from Turky or something anyway.

Bardock42
First I think the figure 9 Judge Dredd to 1 Boy-Scout is a little out of proportion.

Second, I don't see the US being turned into a PoliceState, yes there are certain policies that make you wonder, but it won't happen I am rather sure (maybe I am jsut hoping though)

As for your slightly degrading mentioning of Turkish Police Officers. What did you mean with that?

KharmaDog

I know many people who have joined the force strictly to get back at the world for having treated them so wrong in their youth. Too many cops hide behind their badge while having no accountability for their actions whatsoever.

Woah, woah woah there my friend. As the new guy here you immediately make a post titled " Woah..Masons are'nt Nazi's." and go on about mass misunderstanding and generalizations about a group of people that though prevalent, are untrue, then you come to this thread and say something like ,"I know many people who have joined the force strictly to get back at the world for having treated them so wrong in their youth. Too many cops hide behind their badge while having no accountability for their actions whatsoever."

First off, you know many people who joined the police force to get back at the world? I suggest that this is either an over exagerration, a complete lie, or that you hang around, or associate with, the biggest population of dickheads concentrated in one area known to man.

Secondly, too many cops hide behind their badge while having no accountability for their actions whatsoever? You realize that there are far more good cops than bad cops (in north america at least) and it seems it's only the few bad ones that make the news as opposed to the 10's of thousands who go out there every day and do their f*cking job (and a thankless job it is)?

Lastly, don't go off about how people make harsh statements and rash generalizations about a group of people with no apparent idea of what they are talking about, and then skip to another thread and do exactly the same thing that you were b*tching against.

Quite an impression you're making on your first day here.

ElectricCrow
It wasn't a racial slur.

What I'm saying is, if we ever end up under a national police state where police and or military are forced to shoot and kill potentially their own family and friends to keep order, it simply won't happen. So in prevention of such revolt our government would simply roll in foriegn troops to police us.

Don't think so?
It's already begun in several states.

I could be wrong about them being Turkish though. But you get my point.

BobbyD
Neither. They're all corrupt and abuse power....most of 'em anyway.

ElectricCrow
Actually it's quite different.

I know MANY officers. By many I mean, 30 or more from the Tri-State. I know their stories, I know their pasts. I've bounced in bars since the day I turned 18 years old and got to know many detail officers from all over. I have friends I grew up with who became cops. I myself almost went to get certified but I changed my mind.

I am also a Freemason.

So, in a nutshell, I am pretty sure I know enough about both subjects to share in my contentions without having to worry about someone like yourself trying to prove something at my expense. The difference between you and I is that I don't speak about things I know nothing about or merely heard elsewhere. I speak from direct experience.

cool

lil bitchiness
It wasn't a racial slur.

What I'm saying is, if we ever end up under a national police state where police and or military are forced to shoot and kill potentially their own family and friends to keep order, it simply won't happen. So in prevention of such revolt our government would simply roll in foriegn troops to police us.

Don't think so?
It's already begun in several states.

I could be wrong about them being Turkish though. But you get my point.

See, thats the force im talking about.

The larger and more advance our societies get, the bigger and tighter control and force there will be...

KharmaDog
So, in a nutshell, I am pretty sure I know enough about both subjects to share in my contentions without having to worry about someone like yourself trying to prove something at my expense. The difference between you and I is that I don't speak about things I know nothing about or merely heard elsewhere. I speak from direct experience.

cool

So in a nutshell, you think the difference between you and I is that you believe that you speak from experience and that I, " speak about things I know nothing about or merely heard elsewhere"?

Well tell me oh knowledgable one, how do you know what I do and do not know? Apparently you have already acertained that you know much more than I, therefore you have also come to the conclusion that you know what I know and find it lacking. How did you come to this great revalation?

Your view of the police is one dimensional and the following claim is hardly appropriate (if even true) as you cannot possibly know the detailed dealings and personal lives of over 30 (or more) police officers.

ElectricCrow
Quite frankly I think your a bit pompous and you assume far too much.

Your obvious ego condition will always blind you to the truth. You have defended your knowledge without actually showing you have any to share.

Please, enlighten me.

I can't wait!
eek!

PVS
my bro in law is a cop, his dads a retired cop, ive met plenty of their friends who are also cops. they are all good people, got into the force because they wanted to help people, and to my knowledge, most if not all had reletively decent childhoods free of ridicule (apart from the typical). so are you going to tell me that i'm lying or that they all just happen to fall into the minority of good cops? or maybe you should just understand that maybe you dont know everything on the matter. and even if you DID know all those cops and they were all pricks, does it not stand to reason that prick cops gravitate to and socialise with prick cops? think about that.

sorry ElectricCrow, but your words are just sweeping generalisations and completely irrational. there are some cops who are absolute bitter pricks, ill give you that. but they are a minority.

KharmaDog
Quite frankly I think your a bit pompous and you assume far too much.

Your obvious ego condition will always blind you to the truth. You have defended your knowledge without actually showing you have any to share.

Please, enlighten me.

I can't wait!
eek!

Pot...Kettle...Black.

Before you start making rash generalizations on the knowledge of others in this forum and your perceptions as to their character flaws, perhaps you should hang around here just a little longer than trying to walk in and be the new stud on the KMC board.

I am not defending my knowledge, I am asking you as to how you have come to the conclusion that you are an authority on the subject of police behaviour merely by claiming to have hung around cops in a bar or known a few, yet discount whatever others say without any clue as to their knowledge or background whatsoever?

The fact that you made the following statement:

and then had the nerve to say

Makes you quite a joke.

lil bitchiness
Could we please have civilised debate NOT argument.

Thank you.

ElectricCrow
I am stating my opinions based on my direct experience. I am not speaking for all officers. I too know many good cops, but I also know many good cops that don't parade around revealing all of their skeletons.

As for Kharmadog,
you don't come into my thread offering discussion. You come in with a head larger than the forums allowed file size and begin spewing your nonsense without actually offering anything to the thread. You are the kind of guy that likes to hear yourself talk and I can see that plain as day in how you are in the few posts I've read from you.

I've offered you opportunities to share your vast knowledge yet you simply go further into your ploy.

Those who know little tend to display their ignorance through personal insults and sarcasm. It goes only so far. I'm guessing you are a Republican..lol

You point out things I've said to you as though I don't know what I'm talking about, yet I'm still waiting for you to show that I'm wrong about you...

I have a feeling you will come back with more nasty posts full of words without actually having said anything. You are a dime a dozen.

KharmaDog
I am stating my opinions based on my direct experience. I am not speaking for all officers. I too know many good cops, but I also know many good cops that don't parade around revealing all of their skeletons.

As for Kharmadog,
you don't come into my thread offering discussion. You come in with a head larger than the forums allowed file size and begin spewing your nonsense without actually offering anything to the thread. You are the kind of guy that likes to hear yourself talk and I can see that plain as day in how you are in the few posts I've read from you.

I've offered you opportunities to share your vast knowledge yet you simply go further into your ploy.

Those who know little tend to display their ignorance through personal insults and sarcasm. It goes only so far. I'm guessing you are a Republican..lol

You point out things I've said to you as though I don't know what I'm talking about, yet I'm still waiting for you to show that I'm wrong about you...

I have a feeling you will come back with more nasty posts full of words without actually having said anything. You are a dime a dozen.

Before you go off and make more rash generalizations first a mod told you to quit it ( but I fear you ego won't have any of that).

Second, before you ascertain what my character, views, knowledge and political affiliations are, do a little research regarding my posting history on various subjects and learn something for although I can be quite a smartass some people think I actually do contribute to this board in an intelligent manner.

Finally, when you make a statement and are challenged on it, it is up to you to defend it, not me to continually defend why I am challenging what you said. I started by saying that you defended one group from rash generalizations then made rash generalizations about another group. You continued to make generalizations about me. But please let the attack continue as I am sure that your efforts will result in a banning and a quick stay here at KMC.

Aziz!
It honestly depends on the officer.

WrathfulDwarf
Before you go off and make more rash generalizations first a mod told you to quit it ( but I fear you ego won't have any of that).

Correction KD...the mod asked everyone to keep things civilized. That includes you. There are no exceptions to the rule.

lil bitchiness
This is to KharmaDog and ElectricCrow -

If you don' t have any interest in the topic, or if you don' t have anything worthwhile to contribute to the discussion, then simply don' t participate in it. This is the very last time I' m telling you to stay on topic. I you fail to adhere then I will force you to by a temporary ban.

BackFire
Police is both a force and a service. They service those in need who have been victimized of a crime, and enforce the law upon those who don't follow it. Depending on what side of the spectrum you're on, they could be either.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by BackFire
Police is both a force and a service. They service those in need who have been victimized of a crime, and enforce the law upon those who don't follow it. Depending on what side of the spectrum you're on, they could be either.

thumb up I like that. I absolutely agree.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by BackFire

One of the people I heard complain the most about the police is my friend's neighbour. Coincidently, he has a rap sheet a mile long. If chronic stupidity were a federal crime, he'd be a lifer.

Funny how those who most often complain about the cops are those who may have had one too many run ins with them.

Like i said, all the bad cops get the press, there are plenty of good cops out there, and just like us they can have bad days, but for the most part they're doing a difficult job, under difficult circumstances and they are doing it well.

GCG
What would better describe the police in your country - Police force or Police Service?

Do you think this matters? Should it be a force or should it be a service? Are police there to protect us, or control us?

What are your thoughts?

It should be there as a service and its enforecement of the law should NOT be weak with the tough and tough with the weak........but we know how it goes sometimes.

mechmoggy
I think the police should give more random beatings to offenders. There's nothing funnier than voilence against a guilty party.

Unless, of course, it's me. That's not funny at all.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by mechmoggy
I think the police should give more random beatings to offenders. There's nothing funnier than voilence against a guilty party.

Unless, of course, it's me. That's not funny at all.

lollol hahaha!

KharmaDog
Although I feel it's necessary to police the police.

I think we should concentrate more on the laws and lawyers who make life more easier for the criminals than for those trying to apprehend, prosecute or convict offenders, and life a living hell for the victims of crime than we should the few bad cops who make the news.

mechmoggy
Aaaaah, but who will police the police?

The army. Job done.

lil bitchiness
Although I feel it's necessary to police the police.

I think we should concentrate more on the laws and lawyers who make life more easier for the criminals than for those trying to apprehend, prosecute or convict offenders, and life a living hell for the victims of crime than we should the few bad cops who make the news.

I believe so too.

There are independent bodies policing the police. I forget the names though...

''The Ghost Squad''

overlord
I personally think the concept is a bit lost in my country.
I don't need protection against myself, they don't need to punish so excessively (as if they actually know the thought behind punishment), they don't need to attack or arrest protestors as it's supposed to be the country they serve..

Of course all a bit exagurated but you'll get the idea.

The same goes for the government of course, all the treating of adult citizens like children and forcing down the opinion of how bad certain stuff is (taboo) is just wrong and I feel like they've lost the basic idea behind it all.
But of course it will all fall eventually.. hehehe..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.