Changing Hard Drive to a new computer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mc_thunda
Big problems... I have just finished my Dads brochure. The computer died (not the hard drive) some capacitor on the mother board, I think. So I put the hard drive into another machine and It won't boot up properly. It loads the dos screen (the one every comp. starts with) then goes black, then back in a circle to the dos screen. I went into setup and played about. I even changed the jumper settings on the mother board. No luck...

Someone today recommended a 'recovery disk' but I know nothing about the hard drive ... It must be some settings in 'setup' right???

Please someone help..

thunDA roll eyes (sarcastic)

Syren
He broke my monitor in the process, by connecting the damn tower up to my new monitor to see if that would work {What the f**k?} Anyway, we could really do with some help confused

Lana
How the hell did that break the monitor blink

Anyway, I....have no idea confused

Syren
I don't know, but it's been playing up for ages erm

Clovie
Have you tried changing BIOS settings? confused

mc_thunda
Thanks Clovie. I have tried every possible setting. Someone has just told me that I need to add my HDD to a computer with an existing HDD and add it as a second Drive. (slave) The only prob. here is that the computer I am adding it to won't boot up either .... I am pulling my hair out... Any ideas on how to formatt the existing drive.....Lol I hate computers

Thanks

Clovie
you have to change something in the nest(?) of that drive so it will be changed into slave..it is not happening automathetiacally

Syren
Clovie, how do you know this stuff? eek!

It's automatically winkiss

Fire
Originally posted by mc_thunda
Thanks Clovie. I have tried every possible setting. Someone has just told me that I need to add my HDD to a computer with an existing HDD and add it as a second Drive. (slave) The only prob. here is that the computer I am adding it to won't boot up either .... I am pulling my hair out... Any ideas on how to formatt the existing drive.....Lol I hate computers

Thanks

K I'm not really getting this so I'll ask a few specific questions

A) The comp on which you want to attach that second HDD works if you do not attach the second HDD Right? If not find a different computer

B) You have set the second HDD to Slave Right? If not you can do it manually (by changing a small contector at the back of the HDD)

if you do those two things it should normally work.

Also best is to check the BIOS of the comp you want to but to make sure autodetection is on

Clovie
Originally posted by Syren
Clovie, how do you know this stuff? eek!

It's automatically winkiss from experience erm
and i knew it is spelled wrong but couldn't bother... embarrasment

Syren
Miss Dic. is here to save the day big grin

Hopefully yours and Fire's advice will be helpful yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.