Illest Lyricist/Battle Rapper

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

braz
thats right, all u hip hop heads know what im talkin about (or some), whos the illest lyricist, whos got the dopest meta4s, sickest multies, and best punchlines out there? IMO as far as mainstream....eminem(5 years ago, not now, he sucks now), chamillionaire and redman

-hh-
some of the best lyricists:

Gza
Pharoahe Monch
Illogic
Ras Kass
Rakim
Chino XL
Big Daddy Kane
Kool G Rap
Redman
Ghostface Killah
Nas

braz
gza ive never heard, or pharoahe, or illogic or ras but ive heard of him, but yea rakim, chino's pretty dope, kane def he started this whole art, ghostface yes, kool g, redman like i said, and nas got the deep street poetry thing goin on

-hh-
you need catching up to do.

check out:

Gza- Liquid Swords
Organized Konfusion- Stress the Extinction Agenda

both are easily the best hip hop albums.

koolruningz
I would add Gift of Gab, Supastition, J-Live, Qwel, Common and Vakill to that list -hh-.

braz
hmm aight man, i might do that, but u ever hearda canibus? hes dope as hell too i forgot to mention him, but his last album was kinda wack, but the one b4 that, rip the jacker, easily one of hip hops greatest albums

-hh-
Originally posted by koolruningz
I would add Gift of Gab, Supastition, J-Live, Qwel, Common and Vakill to that list -hh-. definitely thumb up

-hh-
Originally posted by braz
hmm aight man, i might do that, but u ever hearda canibus? hes dope as hell too i forgot to mention him, but his last album was kinda wack, but the one b4 that, rip the jacker, easily one of hip hops greatest albums ehhhh canibus is overrated. I loved 'Rip the Jacker' but that's because Stoupe was on the production. Canibus has great talent, but it's hard to listen to his albums.

koolruningz
I like some of Canibus's stuff, he gets old pretty quick though. With his talent i'd like to hear him tackle some deeper subjects other than how dope he is. His flow and breath control on 100 Bars is amazing though, thats my fav Canibus joint.

braz
^chyea, def 100 bars is his best song easily

-hh-
i loved 'Genabis'

koolruningz
Havent heard that, what album is it from?
I'd have to put Aesop up with the great lyricists of the genre, even though he is ridiculously abstract most of the time once you decipher his lyrics you realise he's not just stringing long words together.

-hh-
Originally posted by koolruningz
Havent heard that, what album is it from?
I'd have to put Aesop up with the great lyricists of the genre, even though he is ridiculously abstract most of the time once you decipher his lyrics you realise he's not just stringing long words together. it's from "Rip the Jacker"

Alpha Centauri
Canibus is definitely a very talented MC. I just think he gets too bogged down with showing you how smart he is and telling you that he's a great MC, instead of showing why he's a great MC and resultantly proving that he's smart.

I think Method Man is an incredible lyricist. Well, during his Wu-Tang early days, solo days (first two albums) and the Blackout! album with Redman (an essential album in my opinion). Some of the flow, wordplay and general lyricism on that album is ridiculous. Fun also, which is a key ingredient.

-AC

koolruningz
Eyedea, shit how did i leave him out. From what i've heard he is a dope freestyler to.

braz
best freestlyer-supernatural

other good battlers- cassidy & jin

Alpha Centauri
I remember Supernatural battled someone in the finals of the Wake-Up Show tournament, forgot who. Basically, on his second go he refused to spit due to the beat not being to his liking. So they changed it for him.

I think that's pretty lame, though when he DID rhyme he killed it. I recall him rhyming in the voice of Notorious B.I.G. Though the guy he was battling had some great lines.

-AC

-hh-
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I remember Supernatural battled someone in the finals of the Wake-Up Show tournament, forgot who. Basically, on his second go he refused to spit due to the beat not being to his liking. So they changed it for him.

I think that's pretty lame, though when he DID rhyme he killed it. I recall him rhyming in the voice of Notorious B.I.G. Though the guy he was battling had some great lines.

-AC he battled Juice. He is lame for what he did, but the guy can freestyle for an hour straight.

Juice > Supernatural.

Deathblow
I Self Divine blows my mind, I think he's very underrated. Senim Silla has the smoothest flow, and Copywrite for the punchlines.

For the complete all-round MC though, you can't go far wrong with Ras, Vakill and GZA.

-hh-
Ras tries to hard to get into the mainstream scene with his great lyrics. He tries to bring Chamillionare, Young Buck and all these mc's to be part of his mixtapes just to get his name out. i really doubt that it's working. i might be wrong though.

koolruningz
Originally posted by Deathblow
. Senim Silla has the smoothest flow,

I just got Masters of the Universe, Senim and One Be Lo are a great tandem.

Phat J

-AC

juice is a better freestyler than supernat, better emcee altogether. ask anyone who freestyles, it all depends who dope on that day, any rapper would tell you that. who does a gimmick to win a battle, i thought that was weak, let alone the beat change. when it comes down to it supernatural was consistent the whole way through, juice had a better last round though, so it could have gone either way.

wordsworth, killah priest, mr lif and prime are great lyricists as well, i dont think anyone mentioned them.

koolruningz
I havent heard much from Wordsworth, only a guest spot on Twice inna lifetime off BlackStar's album. He torn it up though, arguably the best verse on the track.
Gotta agree with Lif, I Phantom touches on so many topics its incredible. Havent heard much from Killah Priest and Prime but you have good taste Phat so i'll have to check them out.
Anyone know if Supastition is a good freestyler? his album punchlines are so dope that im sure he could make a grown man cry in a battle.

Phat J
theres a chance you might not like prime, but you should definitely look into one of killah priest's albums and wordsworths, they're all good. ill post some of my favs from them in a little while.

now just to make sure im clear on this, what makes a good lyricist are the words they rhyme with right? and a great lyricist would be someone who takes a subject and and raps about it while having dope rhymes too?

koolruningz
Spot on Phat.
I heard Prime on those Molemen tracks you posted and liked his style. I dont know if that qualifies me to judge him as a lyricist though.

Deathblow
Originally posted by -hh-
Ras tries to hard to get into the mainstream scene with his great lyrics. He tries to bring Chamillionare, Young Buck and all these mc's to be part of his mixtapes just to get his name out. i really doubt that it's working. i might be wrong though.

No you're not. I regularly quiz dudes I know who love all this gangsta rap revival shit, and they haven't a clue who he is. **** em anyway, Soul On Ice = incredible lyrical achievement.

Absolutely. Although my favorite Binary track is Slang Blade, which is a Senim solo. He tears it to raggedy little shreds.

koolruningz
Agreed DB, it also has a funky as hell bassline to. smokin'

Dr. Strangelove
I'd say Gift of Gab as best overall. Lyrically and flow wise, he's right at the top and Chemical Calisthenics leads me to believe he would be one of the few on this planet who could keep up with Aphex Twin's mind numbing beats. Too bad that collabo will never happen.

I like Illogic and Vast Aire as best lyric wise.

Deathblow
Gab's voice irritates me. I know it's impossible to sound fat, but he kinda does. Sound like a fat guy, that is. Call me weird.

Good lyricist though big grin

Phat J
alright well by taht reasoning primes just a good emcee, all he talks about is violence and how dope he is. laughing out loud

killah priest - one step
http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PN7MOA5JN69L2I32A54Z342VG

prime w/ verbal, pugzlee atoms and qwel - mad sick
http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1AWAEZNG3LUZ50Y47F01Y1C15E

verbal has a crazy verse on that track^

Dr. Strangelove
Gab's voice irritates me. I know it's impossible to sound fat, but he kinda does. Sound like a fat guy, that is. Call me weird.

Well he is fat.

I like his voice, though. Very smooth and clear.

Now Vinnie Paz voice sounds like a mad fat guy who has 5 Big Mac's stuck in his mouth.

-hh-
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Well he is fat.

Now Vinnie Paz voice sounds like a mad fat guy who has 5 Big Mac's stuck in his mouth. laughing out loud

Deathblow
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Well he is fat.

Now Vinnie Paz voice sounds like a mad fat guy who has 5 Big Mac's stuck in his mouth.

Yeah...exactly confused

And Paz...his teeth are crazy too, he's missing like five. Probably from where Jus Allah smacked him (not). I liked him better when he was still Skinnie Paz on Psycho-Social. He had quite a cute lil lisp thing going on. Don't tell him I said that though, he might stick a crucifix through my cervix or something.

Dr. Strangelove
Yeah...exactly confused

And Paz...his teeth are crazy too, he's missing like five. Probably from where Jus Allah smacked him (not). I liked him better when he was still Skinnie Paz on Psycho-Social. He had quite a cute lil lisp thing going on. Don't tell him I said that though, he might stick a crucifix through my cervix or something.

Just pointing out the obvious, work with me.eye

Yeah, he was quite good on Psycho-Social. Then he started to get all gangster and fat, and it all went down hill. Maybe he can get on an Aktins Diet and watch Barney for two weeks and become a nicer, sweeter Vinnie Paz.

-hh-
Yeah...exactly confused

And Paz...his teeth are crazy too, he's missing like five. Probably from where Jus Allah smacked him (not). I liked him better when he was still Skinnie Paz on Psycho-Social. He had quite a cute lil lisp thing going on. Don't tell him I said that though, he might stick a crucifix through my cervix or something. laughing

sentinels dent through your ventricles with nine axes
time lapses, we armed with, brutal and terrible conflict, bomb shit

vinnie is serious shock

Pointinel
you need catching up to do.

check out:

Gza- Liquid Swords
Organized Konfusion- Stress the Extinction Agenda

both are easily the best hip hop albums.

low end theory > Stress the Extinction Agenda...

^therefore its not even top 3

i cosign you tho about BIS... hes a good freestyler/battle mc, but it seems like he cant make a solid song.

Phat J
hes made a couple, but they're few and far between.

my favourite track of his is a freestyle, man i dled so many of his songs. i have like 350+ minutes on my cpu, mostly freestyles. he could be dope, he just hasnt made the transition yet(hopefully).

Darth Revan

Haha, I know what you mean, but I don't mind his voice... It's soothing, actually. love

But anyways, I'd have to say Gab too, his freestyling is inhumanly fast, and his lyrics are great. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. happy

Vinnie Paz is a beast shock

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Pointinel
low end theory > Stress the Extinction Agenda...

^therefore its not even top 3

i cosign you tho about BIS... hes a good freestyler/battle mc, but it seems like he cant make a solid song.

Poet Laureate and Poet Laureate II are both excellent songs. The former more so.

-AC

Alpha Centauri

Psycho Ninja
Now a rapper that could pull out a rhime like that in a night deserves to sleez with Beyonce !!!

Tengu Man
IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE.......................

Darth Revan
Ehhh... Tech is good but his freestyling is pretty average. He repeats the same disses a lot. He especially likes to call rappers "the illegitimate child of Chewbacca". no expression

Victor Von Doom

Bypass security networks with select words.
Megahertz make nebulas reverse till ya' head bursts.

I rip jackers, rip the time-space fabric, loop the future with the past tense lookin' for patterns.
Eradicate Africans that sold Africans to Saxons and forced the blackmen pay taxes.

Slay dragons with old passages from black magic manuscripts I found in the cabinet written in Arabic.

My rhymes come from a higherness of wireless dialect.
Scientists from Sirius B designed my specs.
I astrally project during heightened sex.
Chakras connect, doctors inspect what they can't possibly interpet yet.
That's why they revert to threats.
They curse and throw fits.

These kind of lines are why Canibus grates on my nerves.

koolruningz
Sounds like he's just got an overactive imagination.

Victor Von Doom
It's like a huge decorated gift box with a loaf of bread inside.

Inspectah Deck
definitely thumb up

Don't forget Biggie and Common

koolruningz
Originally posted by Phat J
alright well by taht reasoning primes just a good emcee, all he talks about is violence and how dope he is. laughing out loud

killah priest - one step
http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PN7MOA5JN69L2I32A54Z342VG

prime w/ verbal, pugzlee atoms and qwel - mad sick
http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1AWAEZNG3LUZ50Y47F01Y1C15E

verbal has a crazy verse on that track^

Thanks Phat, i'll check them out when i get home from work. thumb up

-hh-
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Ehhh... Tech is good but his freestyling is pretty average. He repeats the same disses a lot. He especially likes to call rappers "the illegitimate child of Chewbacca". no expression classic laughing

he mentions dead infants alot

"ill ressurect every aborted fetus and start an army"

calm the **** down laughing

Phat J
dont mention it, hope you like them.

check this one out too, ive been trying to find more from this chick, but i havent had any luck yet, its a really good song though.

psalm one & casual - bitin and freakin
http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3T65H9DFM2AUQ3MYWZOGEO4ZTW

koolruningz
Muchos gracias senor! sombrero2

Phat J
no problemo ese zorro

Pointinel

Alpha Centauri
I actually love the music in that song more than the lyrics.

-AC

FistOfThe North
Canibus is ill..His first album is was the illest, of course, but here's my list.

Dre - Eazy-E

Biggie - Pac (?)

Common - Ice Cube

Jay-z - Nas

Canibus - LL

&

Everlast & Eminem, just off the top of my head..

Oh and that Jada diss joint towards 50.

Pointinel
why you dudes forgot this mcs?

1.jay-z - takeover, superugly, that dear summer free on flex's show = dude is bird flu
2.mc shan - since if mc shan didnt respond to that diss record, krs wouldve never existed.
3.krs1 - he made dissin/battlin the 'thing' back in the 80's

FistOfThe North

1.jay-z - takeover, superugly, that dear summer free on flex's show = dude is bird flu
2.mc shan - since if mc shan didnt respond to that diss record, krs wouldve never existed.

See I was 10 in '87 so I didn't really get into hip hop all like that until about '93 when everybody came out, but LL's "I'm Bad" was my first cassette. I got it that year it came out forget when it was.

Alpha Centauri

Takeover was a great "battle" track in my honest opinion, but if we're putting him there then we must also mention Nas, who subsequently came back and made Jay-Z look like a complete mug. In retaliation Jay-Z ripped the Got Yourself a Gun beat and did that shitty Super Ugly freestyle over it. Throwing a great first punch doesn't make you a battle MC worthy of praise, staying in the fight with venom does. Jay-Z was done when Nas chose to reply. If we're talking freeing aside from battles or beef then Jay-Z should be up there, if only because he doesn't write down his lyrics and can more or less create them quite effeciently off the top of his head. At least he COULD.

That said, I don't think Nas is a great battle MC per se. They didn't necessarily battle, they had personal issues that made for some entertaining duels.

-AC

Pointinel
uhmm

nas was mentioned in the first page

and nas is straight when it comes to battlin, look at his track record.

i agree about him not a being great battle MC per se, because i think he'll get destroyed by any good freestyler, but give the king a pen and a pad.. and its a wrap.

but what im really waiting for is him to drop ETHER 2 on 50 and prodigy on his next album.

Alpha Centauri
I know he was mentioned, I'm just saying that we should mention what he did.

Jay-Z isn't a good battle MC or beef MC/whatever you want to call it. Takeover was good but any MC with decent lyrical ability can drop a great first punch. It's no good if your opponent swings back and knocks you out.

Nas was taking swings at Cormega (I think) on that same album and I wasn't too sure it was the wisest choice he made.

-AC

FistOfThe North
Takeover was a great "battle" track in my honest opinion, but if we're putting him there then we must also mention Nas, who subsequently came back and made Jay-Z look like a complete mug. In retaliation Jay-Z ripped the Got Yourself a Gun beat and did that shitty Super Ugly freestyle over it. Throwing a great first punch doesn't make you a battle MC worthy of praise, staying in the fight with venom does. Jay-Z was done when Nas chose to reply. If we're talking freeing aside from battles or beef then Jay-Z should be up there, if only because he doesn't write down his lyrics and can more or less create them quite effeciently off the top of his head. At least he COULD.

That said, I don't think Nas is a great battle MC per se. They didn't necessarily battle, they had personal issues that made for some entertaining duels.

-AC

I don't know about that. I always looked at that beef as a battle, period. Rap battles, freeing or not, mostly stem from personal issues.

Pointinel
I know he was mentioned, I'm just saying that we should mention what he did.

Jay-Z isn't a good battle MC or beef MC/whatever you want to call it. Takeover was good but any MC with decent lyrical ability can drop a great first punch. It's no good if your opponent swings back and knocks you out.

Nas was taking swings at Cormega (I think) on that same album and I wasn't too sure it was the wisest choice he made.

-AC

yeah he did (destroy and rebuild)

but it dont matta since mega and nas deaded it last year

and mega will be the first to tell you nas is better than him and he got the deepest of love for that brother

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I don't know about that. I always looked at that beef as a battle, period. Rap battles, freeing or not, mostly stem from personal issues.

I don't class it as a battle because it was essentially Jay-Z's swing Vs Nas's.

Nas's hit home.

-AC

Afro Cheese
I don't know about that. I always looked at that beef as a battle, period. Rap battles, freeing or not, mostly stem from personal issues. True battles are supposed to be in the spirit of competition, not hype. Not that I have anything against beef tracks, cause the artist is supposed to pour his life into his work, and if he's having conflicts with another artist it does make sense to put that in the tracks as well.

Phat J
beef tracks nowadays are just publicity stunts, sort of ruined them for me.

its too bad.

D00m
Originally posted by Phat J
beef tracks nowadays are just publicity stunts, sort of ruined them for me.

its too bad.

exactly why I haven't posted here. They got these kids hyped about a "beef", when it's just entertainment. lol @ Jay-Z and Nas. How many didn't know they weren't going to kiss and make up? Oh yea, the people who buy into those lame antics.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by D00m
exactly why I haven't posted here. They got these kids hyped about a "beef", when it's just entertainment. lol @ Jay-Z and Nas. How many didn't know they weren't going to kiss and make up? Oh yea, the people who buy into those lame antics.

Entertainment or not, I still thought the Jay-z vs Nas raps were ill. Not super-ill but it had me listenin'.

And I didn't care if they kissed and made up or if it was prearranged or not? You think I care about their beef's or whether or not it's a ploy? Man please.

It's for my ears and yourz and we can take it anyway we want. Get it right before you get it wrong, Pad'na

D00m
Entertainment or not, I still thought the Jay-z vs Nas raps were ill. Not super-ill but it had me listenin'.

I never said the rhymes were weak. Like I did say, it was entertainment so of course people were entertained. There are just some people that take these beefs too seriously. That is all.

And I didn't care if they kissed and made up or if it was prearranged or not? You think I care about their beef's or whether or not it's a ploy? Man please.

It's for my ears and yourz and we can take it anyway we want. Get it right before you get it wrong, Pad'na

Whoa, relax there buddy. I wasn't directing those comments toward you so there's no need to take it so personal. I was talking about a particular group, but if you're not included then why take what I said to heart?

and of course people can take it however they want. It's not like I own their opinions.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by D00m
I never said the rhymes were weak. Like I did say, it was entertainment so of course people were entertained. There are just some people that take these beefs too seriously. That is all.

Whoa, relax there buddy. I wasn't directing those comments toward you so there's no need to take it so personal. I was talking about a particular group, but if you're not included then why take what I said to heart?

and of course people can take it however they want. It's not like I own their opinions.

I not saying you said their rhymes were weak, it's just what you said came across to me as the Nas vS Jay-z beef was a show like it was a wack act that fooled people And because it fooled people it wasn't real or not worthy. That's how I understood it.

I assumed you were saying it about me since I was the only one I that mentioned the Jay-z Nas beef as one of the illest a few posts earlier. Then a few posts later you said a whole bunch of stuff about how people are this and this if you listened to it and took it serious and all that...

Im relaxed, im chillin' like a villain, it's never personal it's only debate. Not hate.

Pointinel
@doom

i aint gassing the nas/jay beef, but some people just dont know the impact of it. these are the 2 of the biggest names in hiphop coming from NY, and their both duking it out for being kony. any straight hiphop head would tell you nas was king back then (even after nastradamus), hell even jay knew it, but he was hungry he got the money so now he wants the title. jay feels he can be KONY too, since nastradamus was pretty shitty and nas' moms is sick. lol, jay is obsessed with that shit too, even slept with nas' baby moms (even tho u prolly know this) to get @ nas.

ny was crazy bout this beef shit because we losing the spotlight to the other coasts (midwest/south). altho it did brought NY hiphop back on the scene.. the winner didnt capitalize on that shit, and jay had to take a 2 month vacation away from the country.
it was crazy cuz back in 01 i was living with my moms back in queens (queens blvd, i wont say exact addy cause my fam still lives there) and i know dudes from ravenswood and they saying nas won that shit unanimously, weird thing ravenswood and qb (especially 41st side) got the biggest beef between them. so i was surprised that these dudes showed love during that time.

peace

D00m
Word. I'm not going to argue against the Nas and Jay beef anymore because at least they're good artists. But what about the em/benzino disses, ja/50 disses... those are what turned me off to beef's.

Refused
"Beef is not what Jay said to Nas"
"Beef is not what these famous niggas do on the mic"
"Beef is real life happenin' everyday"
-Mos Def

PEACE

D00m
Originally posted by Refused
-Mos Def

PEACE

say WORD

-hh-
-Mos Def

PEACE classic mos def thumb up

Inspectah Deck
I liked Benzino diss track on Em. I forgot the name of it though

FistOfThe North
-Mos Def

PEACE

Man, that makes no sense to me.

Jay and Nas were beefin'

Jay and Nas were famous niggas doin it on the mic and representin properly as well.

Art or competition isn't apart of real life..Art is apart of our everyday lives and competition ever more so.. Makes no sense, Mos Def.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
I liked Benzino diss track on Em. I forgot the name of it though

Crush, Kill, Destroy was the most famous one.

-AC

Refused
I think he's saying that there's more important "beef" out there than two famous people arguing.

Phat J
pretty much^

like a beef between two people on the street

FistOfThe North
I think he's saying that there's more important "beef" out there than two famous people arguing.

But what makes a beef important?

I think, in some cases that a rap-battle can probably be more truthful and informational / important more so than 2 congressmen battling on CSPAN about BS.

Alpha Centauri
How is it? Most of Jay-Z and Nas was "This happened and because of it, you're an idiot and a liar." "Nah, didn't. You're the one lying."

-AC

Inspectah Deck
Crush, Kill, Destroy was the most famous one.

-AC

Yeah, that's the one

FistOfThe North
As the illest lyricist, I'd have to put Kool G. Rap, Eminem & Canibus up there now that I come to think about it.

Afro Cheese
I'm no huge fan of modern Eminem but his diss tracks at Benzino were pretty good to be honest.. not that Benzino is a worthy enemy.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I'm no huge fan of modern Eminem but his diss tracks at Benzino were pretty good to be honest.. not that Benzino is a worthy enemy.

I agree.

I just like the Slim Shady & Marshal Mathers LP's, thats it.

lol, Benzino is a wack enemy. He's from here, Boston.

He's the reason underground cats here can't really come-up like that from here cause his goons always gotta step in and talk shit and try to do something because you probably ain't reppin' Boston they way they want it to be repp'ed it.

F*** that, everybody has their own way of repinn' they blocks.

Or they'll try to extort heads if they do happen to slip by. I've seen and heard the craziest shit from the circuits about Benzino. Dirty, uncool shit that kept hot rap cats back for years due to his "invisible hand"/ influence.

See what he tried doing with Em, im not talking about the battles but the other shit to try to get Em kicked off the scene, well Benzino does that here. Sucks

He's get no respect from me, never did. And that's ontop of the fact that his flow the weakest.

Dresta
Eminem did have good & inventive lyrics, and a good flow

-hh-
i hate Eminem nowadays.

Phat J
yeah fack was a little weird, on top of few other shitty albums how can you not

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.