I have gaming videos to show, but am new here.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Frag Maniac
Hi, I just tried to post a link to one of my game videos, an older one of Painkiller and my first full level video of a game. Little did I know that links are not allowed from new members, my fault for not reading the policy more diligently.

So for now, I'll introduce myself, and tell you what I have to offer. As I said in the Welcome forum, I have been gaming for about 5-6 years now, and am primarily into PC shooter games.

I have made videos of Painkiller, Far Cry, and F.E.A.R., and started posting them on forums about 7 months ago. I have a fair knowledge of both Fraps and Game Cam, as well as Movie Maker and Virtual Dub, and often give advice for first timers.

My videos are generally full level length, and are usually about 5-15 minutes long, and about 50-150MB in file size. I can also give advice on how to host and archive videos for free, for those of you that want to show them.

So, for now, I guess I'll have to wait and see what they mean by getting more well known, and how long it might be before I am allowed to offer links to my videos.

SaTsuJiN
are they trick vids? or just run throughs?

H. S. 6
Cool. cool

And welcome to the boards. big grin

Lana
A rule was added a while ago so that you can't post links until you have a certain number of posts, it was made to prevent people from joining and spamming up the forums.

Welcome to the forums, btw happy

Frag Maniac
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
are they trick vids? or just run throughs? They're basically full level videos on the highest difficulty mode taking no hits, which is a trick in itself especially when they average under 10 minutes per level. There are however some short clips I have too which have more stuntlike elements to them like hang glider sniping.

I try to make my videos serve two puposes, entertainment and tutorial. Many have been used by those struggling with certain parts of the game when I post them on their respective game forums.

I just finished making a widescreen version of one of my latest Far Cry videos of the Control level, and am uploading it to my hosting site now. Wish I could show it to you but they haven't granted me link priviledges yet.

(EDITED)
"A rule was added a while ago so that you can't post links until you have a certain number of posts, it was made to prevent people from joining and spamming up the forums.

Welcome to the forums, btw"

Yeah, I figured it was added in, rather than original policy, as the rules I read did not say links were allowed at all, but I thought they meant only advertisements.

The hosting site I use hosts for free, so linking to them is not like an ad at all, in fact they allow you to set up your own file page as if it's your own website.

Thanks for the welcome, any idea how many posts gets you link privys btw?

Lana
Um, I don't remember to be honest, it wasn't in place when I joined, it was added a while ago because we'd have problems with people joining, spamming a site, and never appearing again. Links to your vids wouldn't be spamming or anything, that'd be fine.

I'll go and check and see if I can find how many posts you need to post links.

Edit: I couldn't find anything, but I don't think it's very many posts that you need....so just settle in and have fun until then stick out tongue

Frag Maniac
OK, thanks for checking Lana, most forums I've been on you go from newb, junior, etc, to some other status fairly quickly.

Phat J
id watch a farcry video, i wanna buy that game but i havent seen it in action, only read reviews.

SaTsuJiN
lol I played the demo.. it was awkward IMO.. I wound up having to fight everyone off cuz the sneaking around was wierd

Phat J
it got somewhere around a 9 at gamespot, hopefully that was just the demo.

im still getting it as soon as i see it somewhere.

powerfulone1987
I'm sure gamespot rated the overall game and not just a demo. That wouldn't make sense.

Why would you want them to rate a demo?

Oh, and welcome Frag Maniac.

is it comprehensible.....

Phat J
guess you misunderstood me, i meant that i hoped the demo was awkward, not the game.

powerfulone1987
i see now.

my fault.

is it comprehensible.....

Frag Maniac
(Warning, some spoilers) I played the demo before buying the game, it's the Fort level and plays just the same in the game. I'm not sure what you mean by akward though.

At first the game seems daunting, and it definately helps to use cover and the crouch and lean functions. Once you get to know the game though, there are many ways to beat it easily IMO, and I still don't know why even veteran players of it say it's one of the hardest games they've played.

One of the biggest tips I can give you is to turn off the music and listen, especially when stalking through the jungle. The binocs are great for tagging and monitoring the mercs with it's built in motion tracker, and the CryVision goggles you pick up later in the game actually allow you to snipe through brush and trees without even being seen.

Two of the things I don't like about the game that are a discredit to the otherwise excellent AI IMO, are the shouts the mercs make when they've seen you, and the fact that you have an unlimited number of rocks you can throw to distract or lure the enemy.

These two things make it much easier to fight them than it realistically should be, but of course you don't have to use the rocks, or the binocs for that matter.

One thing that is really cool is driving the Buggys, Hummers and P Boats, stealing them anywhere you can. Most Hummers and P Boats are equiped with both heavy caliber machine guns and rocket launchers mounted on turrets that you can aim and shoot while driving in either 3rd person or first person mode.

You can also hop in and out of the vehicle when it's parked to use the binocs to sight in rockets from a distance before and after your shots. The maps allow for excellent long range sniper shots, and the graphics and sound are among the best in the industry.

There are places in the game where if you pull off trick manuevers, like driving to a very difficult spot, you can take the heavy machine gun or rocket launcher with you upon exiting the vehicle, depending on which was selected when you left it. The odd thing is though, when you do that the skin for the weapon doesn't show, but it's firepower is definately there to use.

Speaking of Fort, there's also a built in humorous trick you can do called Rally Pigs. Parking the buggy in an unsafe spot like on the stairs is supposed to trigger one of the wild island pigs to run to the buggy and drive it off. I've never got that one to work, at least I got tired of waiting for the pig to show anyway. Maybe you can't be facing the buggy or need to be a certain distance from it.

To suffice I put together a humor clip simulating mercs harrassing and trash talking a pig instead, I call it Grunt Talk.

H. S. 6
I always thought it was 25 posts to post links?

Not sure, but I thought I remembered reading that...

Frag Maniac
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I always thought it was 25 posts to post links?

Not sure, but I thought I remembered reading that... That would be nice, as I already have 16,...oops, make that 17 with this one. This is really a better forum than I thought it would be after assuming I'd made a mistake about it's content. I thought the video game movies forum, for instance, was for user made videos of games, not box office movies.

I'm finding that the Computer/Video Game Discussion forum is quite active and diverse though, with engaging chat. I absolutely love the Red/Black skin option too, very cool looking and easy on the eyes.

Lana
I try and keep the VG forum as clean as possible, as in I try and catch anyone breaking rules stick out tongue glad you like it here smile

H. S. 6
I heart KillerMovies. droolio

Especially the mods that keep things clean. stick out tongue

Lana
What can I say, I don't like garbage in my forum stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
lol.. so crazy big grin *ducks another runescape thread* .. phew blink

I didnt know you could throw rocks in FarCry o_o.. and I hardly turn vids down.. they're yummy entertainment happy

Frag Maniac
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I didnt know you could throw rocks in FarCry o_o.. and I hardly turn vids down.. they're yummy entertainment happy Yes you can, and it's rather amusing at times. Glad to hear that so many of you like videos here, but then I should have known that from the nature of this forum. The thing is though, when I found out it was a movie forum with some game chat, rather than a forum for mostly user made movies, I was thinking no one would want to see amature stuff compared to box office, but I'll let you be the judge. Lately I've been experimenting with widescreen, and just did 16:9 versions of my last two Far Cry videos.

I used to hang out at the Ubi FarCry forum, where they have a user made movie section over 3 pages long now, but it's not nearly as active as this place is.

Hey Lana you had me fooled with that new sig, I almost didn't recognize ya! Just loaded one up meself. smile

Smasandian
Sats, try to pick up Far Cry, it's a blast to play.

Like frag maniac said, once you get a hang of it, its pretty easy to play.
The only annoying thing is that if you start getting shot at, you usually cant see who's shooting at you.

I can't wait for an expansion or a sequel. (or prequel) haha.

Lana
Vids can be lots of fun yes

And I tend to change my sig a lot, I get bored quickly stick out tongue

Frag Maniac
Originally posted by Smasandian
The only annoying thing is that if you start getting shot at, you usually cant see who's shooting at you.

I can't wait for an expansion or a sequel. (or prequel) haha. That's where those handy binocs come in, and they will track through some solid objects at fairly close range, although not dense ones. The trick is, to use them to tag mercs before approaching, then pick spots at the perimeter of the camp where you can take cover and afford to glance at the mini map, which shows their position after they're tagged with the binocs.

It's also a good idea to set up within sight of the alarms that many camps have when you approach, so as to stop mercs from setting them off.

There is supposed to be a PC expansion, there was talk of 4th quarter last year, 1st quarter this year, but there doesn't seem to be any buzz at all about it currently.

The problem is Ubisoft is in total control now, after CryTek left the project, so it likely won't be as good as the original.

Smasandian
I know how to play the game.

But they're always that one or two guys you missed. The binocs dont catch anything at all.

Why did CryTek leave? It doesnt make sense because Far Cry is theyre baby.

Frag Maniac
Originally posted by Smasandian
I know how to play the game.

But they're always that one or two guys you missed. The binocs dont catch anything at all.

Why did CryTek leave? It doesnt make sense because Far Cry is theyre baby. Yes, sometimes there are indeed mercs you cannot see from afar to tag with the binocs, thus your "one or two guys you missed" statement. I don't see how that statement fits with "The binocs don't catch anything at all" though, unless I read you wrong.

When I get a chance to show my videos, there are some that make much use of the binocs, like the River and Catacombs levels. Maybe we can compare tactics better after you see those. wink

There is also the Pier level though, one I've yet to make a video of, where the binocs are very usefull.

As far as why did CryTek leave, it's no doubt money related. Word is they hooked up with EA and are curently working on an unknown project with them.

With CryTek having cranked out such a marvelous first production, you can imagine the interest that followed from big name, big money publishers. I feel they likely needed money to increase their production crew and no doubt made out in both selling the rights to the Cry Engine and in contractiing with EA.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.