Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
This was verbatim from Albert Einstein himself.

Think it's true ..?

Sir Whirlysplat
NO

Shakyamunison
No, hopefully there will come a time when we grow up and learn to live in piece.

tall_paul
what qualifies as a war? the art of war by sun tzu is written to advise for almost any human conflict whether it is personal or military. i think there will be war but i dont know what kind of wars they will be

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by tall_paul
what qualifies as a war? the art of war by sun tzu is written to advise for almost any human conflict whether it is personal or military. i think there will be war but i dont know what kind of wars they will be

I agree, there will always be conflict, but maybe we can find a way without killing each other.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
No, hopefully there will come a time when we grow up and learn to live in piece.

You are absoltuly right.
We will end up all in pieces.

There wil be a time where we will be at peace.

After a war in which the U.S. is destroyed.
And the Midde East.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
You are absoltuly right.
We will end up all in pieces.

There wil be a time where we will be at peace.

After a war in which the U.S. is destroyed.
And the Midde East.

Then China will take over the world. eek!

Koala MeatPie

I hardly think so.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
I hardly think so.

If the US (along with the western world) and middle east are destroyed, then the only powers left are Russia and China. Any conflict between these two would end up with China winning.

Sir Whirlysplat
Or England and France step in after the others have damaged themselves, bringing back civilisation to the world!!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Or England and France step in after the others have damaged themselves, bringing back civilisation to the world!!

laughing

jk

Mindship
Einstein also said this:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm beginning to have my doubts about the former."
Based on this, I would answer Yes.

But "always" is a long time. Looking way, way forward, perhaps to an era of proton decay, when "men" -- humans -- will have perhaps evolved way past all the BS we fight about today...no more wars.

Sir Whirlysplat
War, huh yeah, What is it good for? Absolutely nothing, say it again!

tall_paul
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat

if it were august it would have to be england

personally i dont think the us or the middle east really matter. the cia however is doing a lot of bad things everywhere

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by tall_paul
if it were august it would have to be england

personally i dont think the us or the middle east really matter. the cia however is doing a lot of bad things everywhere

Yes with French cooking and English Dentistry we would save the world smile Frogs leg anyone?

Storm
It appears to be the case that it is a part of our human nature to engage in an us vs. them mental attitude, rather than cooperate with people who are different.

Victor Von Doom

Nice parapraxis there.

I think it is inevitable. The warrior attitude breeds war, the pacifist attitude breeds complacency. There will always be too many of each.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Think it's true ..?

No.

AOR

Think it's true ..?

Yes because as long as we have men who will not rise it upove themselves to seek the path of humility and peace, than we will always have war. War not from vengance, nor for land or religion, but from stupidity. Becase Aristophanes once wrote, roughly translated; "Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."

Mindship
Originally posted by Mindship
Einstein also said this:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm beginning to have my doubts about the former."

Hmm. Somehow, homo "sapiens" doesnt quite seem to fit the bill, does it.

AOR
say again?

Mindship
homo sapiens: "wise man."
Almost like jumbo shrimp.

AOR
oh, I see. Oximorons. Well we can be wise, don't get me wrong. We've just grown lazy over time..

Arachnoidfreak

Think it's true ..?

Yes. War is the result of selfishness or a necessary personal gain. Humans didn't always go to war, archeology suggests that it only began about 10,000 years ago. Hmm, about the time of the beginning of agriculture, isn't it? People start owning stuff and wars start. Coincidence...?

redcaped
I believe women only fight for men but they really love each other. Men are very isolated from each other, they kiss themselves only father to son and from there the purpose of being idealistic=war. Today I had a wonderful experience and a perfect proof of that statement. A man gets a female friend and is a girlfriend in most cases and a male friend for support=pals not including homo because that's a very different subject. A man can be jealous from the other for missing a proper attention but that only comes from childhood, brother-like and very long time pals. In other words the majority of men hate each other and the only remedy for that is being flexible and cooperative.

lil bitchiness

That is the most unlikely thing that could happen.

I agree with Einstein - as long as there are men there will be struggle for power and wealth and thus war.

fini
hey , its the nature of men to fight, we only think that its changed as we have gotten ' civilized', but its still their nature

They may not fight hand to hand any more, but in other ways .

FistOfThe North
I don't know what the future holds for man and neither did Einstein and because of that, what I'd say to Einstein's quote in return is "So long as there have been men, there have been wars."

Maybe he thought that the past equals the future.

Shakyamunison
I don't know what the future holds for man and neither did Einstein and because of that, what I'd say to Einstein's quote in return is "So long as there have been men, there have been wars."

Maybe he thought that the past equals the future.

I think he was just saying, we will never learn.

FistOfThe North
I think he was just saying, we will never learn.

Possibly so.

However, I find it intriguing that Mr. Einstein would say such a comment but yet played a rather significant role in the creation of the Atom bomb.

Eis
Likely. happy

I agree, as long as there are men there will be wars. yes

debbiejo
Originally posted by Mindship
Einstein also said this:
Based on this, I would answer Yes.

Oh, I love Albert....and my answer would also be YES!

Got to be a realist of human nature.

Mindship
Al...tres cool wit de hair.

Until human beings undergo a profound degree of evolution, there will "always" be people killing other people because, ultimately, we fear death. In the deepest pit of every person's psyche is Death Terror. This is the source of all motivation. Every other need--for food, love, sex, money, respect, etc, etc, etc--all percolates up from Death Terror.

While most of us are cool with this (because of healthy ego defenses in unconscious operation) for some--by ilk or circumstance--normal defense mechanisms aint enough. So they kill.

"I so fear my own death, the only way I can feel truly godlike is by killing others."

Until this changes, there will always be war.

Atlantis001
This is like to ask if there will be a time where squirrels will use the toilet, perhaps they will... monkeys did...

It is the nature of the man, perhaps there will be a time where people will learn to live in peace, but then we will not be man anymore, but something different.

Taranis
So long as men have the will to fight, there will be wars.

Although, I'd be quick to ask what exactly does Einstein mean by wars. I'm sure that he means wars between two nations, but I think that you could analyze this with broader scope. People will always think differently. It's humanity's strength (or weakness, depending on your point of view). All things great (and terrible, perhaps) have come from this daring to think differently. At the same time, everyone wants to defend what they think is right. And if they're willing to fight, then they will. Wars, in this sense, will last forever. Humanity has never been one to accept the hive mind attitude.

Wars in the sense of battles between nations? This is a bit more difficult to tackle. So long as men have the will to justify his ends with the means, there will be this sort of strife. World peace is a utopic goal to try and achieve. It's a goal that I can't truly discern whether or not it can truly be attained or not.

One thing I think I'm fair in saying is that peace will not rise in this generation. Nor will it rise in the next, or the one after it. Despite this grim vision, I think (or hope) that one day humanity will as a whole will see what its internal strife has gotten it. And maybe, after everyone is tired of war and fighting, maybe we'll all sit down and settle our differences through peaceful discourse. But even then, that seems utopic as well. Look at our history. Have we ever been without war? Has anything great ever been built without war? As long as man is possessed with ambition towards self-gain, he will always be able to take from others. All he needs is a little justification.

I guess what I want to say is that I don't want to give up hope in humanity just yet, even though I've seen the horrors it's capable of commiting. A few thousand years of history in wars is discouraging, but as I said before, man's sole power to make change arises from his ability to think differently. Could we not try and fight against the chain of actions which dominated our ancestors?

fruits
yes it is true, because we will always have wars with others, it is in our nature, and if we fight the urge to war with others, we are having a war within ourselves, and their is still war.

Storm
Some philosophers have argued that the death and destruction of war are necessary components to a meaningful life or even the ability to love.

Life as mere existence isn' t very important. Instead, what is important is a life worth living. It is in people' s interests to preserve their life, but also aspects of life which give it significance: land, family, ideas, value, religion, etc.

Meaningful existence for human beings entails a willingness to preserve those aspects of human life which give it meaning. People are willing to fight, die and kill for their values.

A similar argument is made in defense of the idea that the willingness to engage in violence, even to the point of war, is part of our capacity as humans to love one another.

The ability to love someone requires that we be willing to defend that person. Defending another person whom we love may entail doing that which is otherwise abhorrent to us. One example might be to die for that person - to accept their fate as our own, in other words. Another might be to kill for that person - to act in their defense by killing a person who threatens to kill them.

Uberking Robert

Think it's true ..?

Anybody who knows anything is aware that women are as aggressive, vicious and violent as we are; they're merely raised from birth to hide it. And men basically invented the concepts of right and wrong. If women ran the show and there were no men, there wouldn't even be a human race left.

Maya Zurak
Originally posted by Uberking Robert
Anybody who knows anything is aware that women are as aggressive, vicious and violent as we are; they're merely raised from birth to hide it. And men basically invented the concepts of right and wrong. If women ran the show and there were no men, there wouldn't even be a human race left.
Hard, but true, I think you are right.
I think that as long as there are strong feelings like: hate, frustration, jealousy.. etc all can happen.

Beckspistol

The Phantom

Think it's true ..? Yes. Because as long as there is power, there is always going to be war. And there will always be power as long as there is money and strength and such, which will always be around. So wars will always happen.

K.Diddy

Think it's true ..?

Yes

Super Kal El
Agreed like an old Native American saying I believe it goes something like this - "When all water is gone, when all the land have been destroyed, when all the animals have been killed only then will man realise money cannot be eaten"
I believe I have completely destroyed that quote would someone care to correct me if possible? thx

I believe there is no ending to conflict of powers in our world or even the entire universe, Blackholes try to destroy suns/stars
Man tries to destroy man all for the sake of being the dominant one, self preservation? instinct to be the best? Money, Power, Greed ,Jealousy, everything contributes to man made conflict very important the word "man made" man makes his own destiny and his own decline -

Atlantis001

SaTsuJiN
there will always be conflict among men..

sun tzu's book was all about war on an 'all-purpose' level.. since most things can be viewed as a battle.. conversation.. business.. video games... life.. most everything has its proverbial battleground

and since conflict will always lead to war (as we know it is very rare for a conflict to fade away with the forgive and forget sequence), Einstein is correct.

AOR
I have determined perhaps another small corner from which this topic may merge into. What defines a war?

Now everyone would of course know that the physical actual shot yourself in the foot war, is the one were you may get shot in the foot.

But what if I were to define a war as a coalition of battles. Would that not mean that any forms of fighting (spiritual, physical, intellectual, etc...) be considered battles from which then a coalition be a war? And into the Utopia that we believe to be the future, would no war be the escalation to all things to peace, or just what is colossal and earth shaking. For man is not known to swallow pride easier than he is to swallow the world~Anonymous

Because my opinion deems it so...

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by AOR
I have determined perhaps another small corner from which this topic may merge into. What defines a war?

Now everyone would of course know that the physical actual shot yourself in the foot war, is the one were you may get shot in the foot.

But what if I were to define a war as a coalition of battles. Would that not mean that any forms of fighting (spiritual, physical, intellectual, etc...) be considered battles from which then a coalition be a war? And into the Utopia that we believe to be the future, would no war be the escalation to all things to peace, or just what is colossal and earth shaking. For man is not known to swallow pride easier than he is to swallow the world~Anonymous

Because my opinion deems it so...

I'm assuming he meant war in the broader sense. But sensibly, it can be taken figuratively, I think. Meaning in sports or in the business world or in dealing with kin or others in society ex: road rage.

But in the literal sense, I think, in his quote, he meant to define "War" as in a national or international or multinational physical battle involving ideals, weaponry, politics, soldiers, etc.

AOR
I'm assuming he meant war in the broader sense. But sensibly, it can be taken figuratively, I think. Meaning in sports or in the business world or in dealing with kin or others in society ex: road rage.

But in the literal sense, I think, in his quote, he meant to define "War" as in a national or international or multinational physical battle involving ideals, weaponry, politics, soldiers, etc.

You think, but do not know...

Because my opinion deems it so..

BobbyD
Hmm, interesting comment by Big Al.

I suppose there is some validity in that statement.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by AOR
You think, but do not know...

Because my opinion deems it so..

lol what?

Ok, I know it can be taken both literally and figuratively.

If you look at in through both perspectives you'll see the truth behind both concepts.

Einstein was right.

9 Major Wars in 90 years. And these were just American Wars.

From WWI way back to Operation Iraqi Freedom still happening in 2006.

Da preacher

Think it's true ..?

Absolutely.

Tired Hiker
I think there will always be clusters of peace, but war will occur somewhere else. It is impossible to ever know, unless you have some sort of war monitoring system, like hidden cameras everywhere to watch everyone and everything at all times, as well as some sort of control room where you can watch 37 billion monitors all at once. But hey, who has 37 billion eyes? I don't. erm

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Tired Hiker
I think there will always be clusters of peace, but war will occur somewhere else. It is impossible to ever know, erm

You're saying that there will always be peace then say it's impossible to ever know if there'll always be a war.

I'm assuming you're using history as an indicator for the future when you made your "peace" comment, and that's ok. But if you used the past and thought peace will continue to be how it is they why should war be any differently viewed upon since both are symbiont ideals.

If you think there will always be clusters of peace then you should think that there will be clusters of war.

Monitoring systems or not.

FeceMan
Albert Einstein, circa 2006: "So long as there is Bush, there will be wars."

LOLOLOLOL AM I RITE?!!!?!?!!11111

Sorry. I'm bored and I just had to say it.

LordFear
I agree thoroughly.
Man cannot co exist. It is not in its nature. We have certain genetic characteristics and violent tendecies. We need to exert our strength around. We always feel threatened mostly due to our insecurities and will always thrive to dominate and that will always create conflict among us. The whole purpose of Christ on earth was to teach us that there is another way. We can learn to suppress these behaviors and learn to really love one another. But in the end look at what we did to him?

Great Vengeance
I think a good answer would be this:

So long as we require resources to survive, and there is a limited supply, then there will be wars.

lancethebrave
As hard as it may be to accept it... there will never be an end to war, it is our imperfection it is set up already before us we jsut cannot see it or touch it... its always there and some Philosophers (Nostradamus in particular) has already predicted what WW3 will be like and how it will begin and end... its been seen to start soon 2006-2012 that range

Storm
Nostradamus' writings have frequently been misquoted and, in some instances, even deliberately altered in order to prove that he supposedly predicted various events. The validity of prophecies are often exaggerated. Many prophecies are vague, allowing them to be applied to many possible future events.

lancethebrave
Exactly which can lead to war over one little thing such as that... people will strive to make a prophecy true in almost any ways i do not think anyone could have been able to predict the future, and even the bible and all other religious books are also exaggerated as well, ive read through his first "century" and it is not an easy thing to comprehend at all, it infact makes very little sense and should not be taken seriously though there are people that will make sure that it happens at almost ALL costs... you would be surprised what people would do for something like that, but it wouldnt be surprising that world war three does start between now and 2012, considering what is going on that this point in time

Hack Benjamin
OFcourse there will be war, no-one will disagree that humans are a type of animal. (Albeit "advanced".) And animals live for several things:

The sake of living.
To be stimulated. (Wether by sex, food, or just plain out leisure..)
And conflict. (Wether to protect themselves, others, or simply for the hell of it.)

These are our basic motivations as well, and sense we're an "advanced" species, we have no natural enemies, we know how to "avoid" more badass animals, make food out of lesser animals, make weapons to protect ourselves, we have no natural predator, only hostile fellow creatures.

Therfore, man has to become man's own worst enemy for the sake of balance between life and death, I can only immagine how much worst it would be if we never had wars, we'd be so overcrowded we'd suffocate life out of every other animal on the planet, and eventualy destroy ourselves anyway because of lack of balance.

Besides, war isn't THAT bad, it's so glorified and made to look like something it's not, ok, people die, people die all the time, bad feelings settle in, lots of evil-men get away, that happens all the time to, war just esculates the same problems we face everyday. If war was so HORRIBLE I doubt it would happen so much, someone, somewhere, is in a war as we speak, always, always, ALWAYS. There has been no point in time on Earth (as long as we were an "advanced" species anyway) where a war hasn't been going on SOMEWHERE.

I think those that spend so much time asking "what is war good for?" don't have thier priorities straight, ofcourse war is good for something, if it wasn't, our selfish-ass goverment wouldn't engage in it so much.. We as a SPECIES need to re-think what makes us tick, and how to view our situation, that has a larger impact on life then any simple war. Because people don't do that, we countinue to repeat our same mistakes over and over again. Frankly, such a species that's so "advanced" but can't get the picture the first couple times around deserves the anguish they receive from themselves..

BackFire

Think it's true ..?

Absolutely true. As long as people have differing ideas and beliefs, there will be wars, because there will always be people who take these differing views and begin conflict with others.

Inspectah Deck

Think it's true ..?

Yes. It's natural for humans to have disagreements, resulting into violence

FistOfThe North
Humans or men only?

Alliance
Just men. laughing Does that answer your question.

Bicnarok
As long as theres something to fight about there will be wars. The first person who put a fence arround a piece of land and said "this is mine" is to blamesmile

Einstein was wrong about a lot of things (eg.exceeding the speed of light)

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Alliance
Just men. laughing Does that answer your question.

Uh.. yea. i guess that'll do; since I only offered two possible answers.

thanks?

Arcana

Think it's true ..?

Yes

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6797/sign7bz.png

The Black Ghost
"Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree?"

Absolutely not! Assume there are only two people on Earth. Stick one in Asia and one in North America with no way of reaching eachother or knowing of the other's existance. There you go, there are men, there is no war! Look in three sentecnes I just proved Einstein wrong!

big grin laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Arcana
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
"Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree?"

Absolutely not! Assume there are only two people on Earth. Stick one in Asia and one in North America with no way of reaching eachother or knowing of the other's existance. There you go, there are men, there is no war! Look in three sentecnes I just proved Einstein wrong!

big grin laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

You missed the entire meaning of the quote...

FeceMan

Think it's true ..?
Yes.

Either everyone will be forcefully pacified and then there will be a revolution, or we shall fight until we are all united...after which, we will fight again.

Originally posted by Arcana
You missed the entire meaning of the quote...

Lord of the Eighth--may I presume the rest of your title is 'of the Nine Hells'?--The Black Ghost was making a joke.

Arcana
Originally posted by FeceMan
Lord of the Eighth--may I presume the rest of your title is 'of the Nine Hells'?--The Black Ghost was making a joke.

Ack shows what I know.

And yes the rest of the title of be "of the Nine Hells"... do I see a fellow D&D fan?

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by FeceMan

Im glad someone called it... lol

FeceMan
Originally posted by Arcana
Ack shows what I know.

And yes the rest of the title of be "of the Nine Hells"... do I see a fellow D&D fan?

Yep. All hail...uh...whatever the hell's in the BoVD.

darthivader
yes because there cant be two or more people who agree on everything, it would be crazy, there will always be differences and fue to that conflicts

sammii
I agree with the topic

As generations go on the world is departing , conflict has never been so normal every aspect of a daily life has conflict and disagreements and as the generation go on man has more to fight for.

Nogoodnamesleft

Think it's true ..?

Yes. But war is necessary. All nations that became great became so because of war. Without war there would be nothing.

Edit: I mean, c'mon, look at my shitty country. We have about as much balls as a blind, deaf, quadruplegic, starving pygmy shrew with AIDS. That's about how masculine we are. We're the world's biggest loser, we're the 51st State, and the best we've ever done was when we once very briefly held the position of being a moderately important country. Now, look at America. They were created via warfare. They're big, powerful, have an uber military, the world's strongest economy, they're winners, and they don't take shit from anyone. That's what we should be like. But you know what? We're not like that. Because we were created "peacefully".

So in fact, war is very necessary in order for things to not suck ass.

Mithlond
I'm afraid I agree with Old Albie - however, I hope one day it will be fought by remote controlled robots and will involve few human deaths.

Akira99
I agree totally though evidence shows female leaders have also been participants in Wars, many old Western Queens etc. ]
I reckon we need a society where there are more women than men as the advantages would be very good and numerous:
Read this and see for yourself. The only real problem is the women who want monogamous relationships but that in itself is very weak compared to the many advantages - espeically with regard to the question in this thread.
http://www.angryharry.com/esMoreWom...MenRequired.htm

FistOfThe North
My analysis. Albert's quote is on point and always will be.

Dusty
edit.

helen91
i think its scarily accurate.
If a woman was in authority she would abolve all faults of countries with her words not her actions. Men think that brute force will make another government see his point of view but sadly this is not the case.

BigRed
I do agree with Einstein.

As long as there exists humans, there more than likely will be war.

Although, I do think we are more than capable of the sophistication to live without war; by the time we even get close to reaching such a level of sophistication, I believe we will be long extinct.

Mark Question

Think it's true ..?

Mankind's track record makes a strong argument for that statement.

Spidervlad
I don't beileve this quote. I think once all people really do realize the meaning of peace and harmony, then there will be a time of peace.

cockablock
einstein was a filthy jew and so is inferior to asians

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by cockablock
einstein was a filthy jew and so is inferior to asians

Are you a Nazi?

cockablock
i hate the nazis because they were whites. whites, blacks, jews, hispanics, and all other people are inferior to the great asians, who are the smartest people in the world

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by cockablock
i hate the nazis because they were whites. whites, blacks, jews, hispanics, and all other people are inferior to the great asians, who are the smartest people in the world

Well, then there is you. Are you part white?

Utrigita
Yes as long as there is Men there will be war in some form ore turn it into as long as poverty and religion is a factor in the world as long these things are in existance as long will war be a factor in the world IMO of cause smile

Blax_Hydralisk
Humanity can not rule the world in peace.

It's impossible. Physically and mentally impossible to not have conflict.

Grand_Moff_Gav
I am inclined to disagree.

I think this is a bi-product of basic cultural conditioning. There will always be conflict yes, such as an argument with the mother but if the people are taught to hate conflict as they are say taught to hate pedophilia then there wouldn't ever be a war...ofcourse we would have to lower the population by about 5,000,000 billion...or would we? In this super-info age im sure we could do it.

lord xyz
Nah, women start wars too. Like who's hotter, George Clooney or Brad Pitt?

Mark Question
The incredible wisdom of The Govenator.

leonheartmm
end discriminations , hate everybody!

Bicnarok
Einstein wrong again, as with his "you cannot exceed the speed of light" statement, (the speed has been exceeded in CERN.)

If there were two men left on the world, one in USA and one in China, how are they going to have a war?

Shadow Spider
I agree with Einstein. No matter what, men will get greedy and try to gain power. This will inedible lead to a conflict. Since men can't back down from and unnecessary conflict, wars would be formed. The cycle of men thirsting for power will sadly continue until nothing is left to be destroyed.

parenthesis
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Einstein wrong again, as with his "you cannot exceed the speed of light" statement, (the speed has been exceeded in CERN.)

If there were two men left on the world, one in USA and one in China, how are they going to have a war? Naturally when someone says something great they would get a gold star, I think it should then be right to give an alternative black crucifix for doing the opposite. You my friend, would get a black crucifix.

FistOfThe North
The popular thought in here is saying that Einstein is unfortunately right.

That war is natural. (and that goes for any organism).

Tempe Brennan
That war is natural. (and that goes for any organism).

'Its in your nature to destroy yourselves' - as said by Arnie in T2.

True statement, I think.

Quark_666
Does that make war a form of evolution or a form of reverse evolution?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Quark_666
Does that make war a form of evolution or a form of reverse evolution?

War and evolution are completely separate things. War can effect the course of evolution though and you can argue that wars are a part of survival of the fittest.

Quark_666
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
you can argue that wars are a part of survival of the fittest.

That's what I did. I was implying that although there is a chance of extinction with war, there is a better chance of survival. I then pointed out that you can't say wars will inevitably be our undoing unless you believe wars are evolution in reverse.

I was basically saying that those who believe wars will lead to extinction haven't thought hard enough.

inimalist
Models of human evolution require some form of war to create the distinct cultural identities we observe. It also requires a strong sense of altruism, but yes, war and group based conflict is a part of the mechanisms of identification we evolved.

I also don't think we should ever want to do away with war. While it is always tragic, there are wars that it was imperative to fight. We are all better off due to the defeat of Hitler, Islamic extremism clearly requires some type of military response, and any would be despot or expansionist leader does need to be stopped. Because man is by nature capable of the most creative forms of cruelty, those who want peace and benevolence need to be the most willing to fight for their freedoms.

Mark Question
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
I am inclined to disagree.

I think this is a bi-product of basic cultural conditioning. There will always be conflict yes, such as an argument with the mother but if the people are taught to hate conflict as they are say taught to hate pedophilia then there wouldn't ever be a war...ofcourse we would have to lower the population by about 5,000,000 billion...or would we? In this super-info age im sure we could do it.

I think mankind is still about 5 billion yrs away from being civilized.

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Mark Question

Christ, that's a long wait. blink

Magee
War is not a concept unique to humans , it happens every day in the animal kingdom over things like territory. Its just with humans it happens on a much larger scale using our wonderful technology and twisted ideals. I remember a documentary about ant wars where thousands of ants just ripped in to each other, was quite fun to watch.

Cornlady
I have a feeling one day there will be peace and no more wars, but it will be awhile.

Quark_666
Originally posted by Mark Question

That's really sad, since the Milky Way only has about 10 million short years left.

Bardock42
That's really sad, since the Milky Way only has about 10 million short years left. What? Since when?

Mark Question
That's really sad, since the Milky Way only has about 10 million short years left.

No civilization then.cry

Symmetric Chaos
So long as there are women there will always be wars.

Cap'n Happy
Wow, kind of sad, some of these posts. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to try and be over profound and reverent, but I'm surprised at some of the mentality here (kind of sounds like the same people arguing if Galactus can beat Superman on the other forums). Some (most, actually) of you wrote thoughtfully, and I appreciate your views.

I believe that, yes, man will always know war. Our only hope is if we can survive long enough to evolve into a higher state of being, mentaly and spiritually. By that point (if we ever get there) 'mankind' will bear little social or cultural resembelence to Homo Sapiens, and will prob. in fact become a new species.

Cap'n Happy

If there were two men left on the world, one in USA and one in China, how are they going to have a war?

Wrong again..? You state this as if you have contempt for the greatest physicist of the twentieth century, as is he has a big track record of being wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth. The great majority of his theories stand the test of time and indeed form the basis of much cosmological physics today. Einstein stated that nothing can exceed the speed of light WHERE THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE APPLY, that is, where the laws of special relativity apply- which is the entire known universe. There are no findings to dispute this that I know of (I'm no scientist), so please be more specific.

Also, did you really not understand that when he said 'man' he was refering to 'mankind'? His point was that war/conflict is in the nature of mankind.

Cap'n Happy
As long as theres something to fight about there will be wars. The first person who put a fence arround a piece of land and said "this is mine" is to blamesmile

Einstein was wrong about a lot of things (eg.exceeding the speed of light)

You are the poster who referenced the European Laboratory CERN in stating that the speed of light had been exceeded. Thinking it might be possible I missed this news (pretty big news to miss, since it over-turns our understanding of how the universe works), I went to the CERN web site. The only article I could find that supports your statement was about a relay-race their staffers held this summer. The runner that was wearing the speed of light T-SHIRT came in third, hence the title of the article "The Speed of Light Exceeded".
Wow... maybe you should actually read an article that you site, not jut the headline. I think these are the same calibre of folks I run into on the Superhero forums and who screech at me how wrong I am when all they have to debate with are bits and pieces of information, often taken out of context, loosely stitched together as "proof" that Wonder Woman can defeat the entire Marvel Universe.
I know that the superhero stuff is trivial, but it's a shame that our trivial fun is so often ruined by ill-informed people. I love a good argument, but please get your facts CLOSE to being accurate.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Cap'n Happy
Wow, kind of sad, some of these posts. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to try and be over profound and reverent, but I'm surprised at some of the mentality here (kind of sounds like the same people arguing if Galactus can beat Superman on the other forums). Some (most, actually) of you wrote thoughtfully, and I appreciate your views.

I believe that, yes, man will always know war. Our only hope is if we can survive long enough to evolve into a higher state of being, mentaly and spiritually. By that point (if we ever get there) 'mankind' will bear little social or cultural resembelence to Homo Sapiens, and will prob. in fact become a new species.

The next stage in human evolution will most likely, involve nano/biomechanics and biointerface. And i still see war being an issue, even then. Especially then.

We'd have civilized sophisticated wars that might end faster and cleaner but the act itself will always be around so long as there are disagreements between a man of any kind, involving money and land, there will always be wars.

Einstein was/is right.

inimalist
The next stage in human evolution will most likely, involve nano/biomechanics and biointerface. And i still see war being an issue, even then. Especially then.

We'd have civilized sophisticated wars that might end faster and cleaner but the act itself will always be around so long as there are disagreements between a man of any kind, involving money and land, there will always be wars.

Einstein was/is right.

To add onto this:

last year there was a pseudo war between Russia and Georgia. Russia had a team of "hackers" essentially shut down the Georgian nation over the internet who were eventually fended off by Georgian hackers. Its a totally new battleground, but technology will not reduce our lust for combat.

Cap'n Happy
The next stage in human evolution will most likely, involve nano/biomechanics and bio-interface. And i still see war being an issue, even then. Especially then.

Einstein was/is right.

You have some good points- it's very possible that humans will experiment w/ a closer bond to technology, up to bio-interface... but this really isn't evolution as nature intended. Long before human technology came along, nature evolved microbes into primitive organisms, then into primitive mammals, and then into human beings- a remarkable advancement, and I think that there is more to come. Humans can tinker with advancements, but I don't think we can exceed the plan that God/Nature already has in store. I can see a point of spiritual and cultural evolution where mankind will be far beyond the primitive state of warfare- certainly not over money or property. I think that if humans can survive long enough as a species, we will pass beyond our current, base impulses. But it is certainly a long ways off.

UKR

Think it's true ..?

I sure hope so. A woman or a liberal wimp for president? No thank you.

Deja~vu
I agree. Not to sound sexist, but probably more with men than women.

Demonic Phoenix
So long as there are women there will always be wars.

Without women, men wouldn't exist, and vice versa.

Given our current level of understanding and desires, yes, I believe that wars will always exist. War serves no greater purpose than to make man feel powerful.

FistOfThe North
at least war (sometimes) brings peace.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Without women, men wouldn't exist, and vice versa.

Exactly no expression

Demonic Phoenix
Indeed no expression

FistOfThe North
Precisely huh

Doom and Gloom
War is part of human nature. It has been with us ever since there have been humans and probably before. Our closest relative, the cimpanzee is a good indicator of our roots, it is also very violent and warlike. Humans will always wage war against each other. Let's just hope we don't end up killing the earth in the process.

inimalist
Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
Our closest relative, the cimpanzee is a good indicator of our roots, it is also very violent and warlike.

we are equally genetically similar to the bonobo, who spend all day fornicating and eating fruit (and some small mammals)

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
we are equally genetically similar to the bonobo, who spend all day fornicating and eating fruit (and some small mammals)

I know some people like that.

inimalist
I know some people like that.

its one of my life goals

Wild Shadow

Think it's true ..?

yes.

humanity and all life on this planet sole purpose was to struggle and evolve through struggle where only the strong survive and pass on their traits.

bluegd

bluegd

Even may be the china could conquer the world but soon you will know that China win the war but loose the world,bcoz i don think China could have the tech to intercept all hostile ICBM launch with nuclear or even bio warhead,whats worth to conquer if the world juz left nuclear waste or radiation behind, don tell me the nuke atk juz will affect few area.whats worth the war....

Mandrag Ganon

Think it's true ..?

I agree with this statement. Humanity will never completely get along whether we have religious, political, or moral differences, we will always fight over them. There is too much propiganda flying around, too many people trying to secure lives for themselves or their people for us to stop fighting entirely.

100% peace is not attainable, there are just too many differences people are willing to die over. And that isn't going to change. To put an end to war you will have to put an end to greed, and that just isn't going to happen, because we always want more than we have...

jinXed by JaNx
of course i agree. We need conflict. Not only are we constantly warring with ourselves over keeping the balance of our duality but need stuff to conquer and conflicts to learn and grow from. There will always be war because there are always going to be dick-heads in the world.

Amazing Vrayo!!
Yes, there will always be a power struggle. One person will always want to have it better than everyone else. I think that there can be and have been long periods of peace but they will always be temporary because one mentally inept person will demand more than his fair share of power.

Amazing Vrayo!!
Originally posted by helen91
i think its scarily accurate.
If a woman was in authority she would abolve all faults of countries with her words not her actions. Men think that brute force will make another government see his point of view but sadly this is not the case. Ever heard of PMS?
and anyways words don't solve anything. Words give plans for action.

The Dark Cloud
War is mostly about greed and as long as people are greedy there will be wars

Clear
BOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes as long as there's people there will be competition, anger, jealousy, hatred, pride, idiots and retards!!!! so therefore there will be WARS for personal gain or from emotion. Satisfaction Guaranteed ! big grin

Clear
Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
Ever heard of PMS?
and anyways words don't solve anything. Words give plans for action.

Words Can Only Do Harm. eek! ........ raisins+Cottage cheese= yummy yum yumness

CrissCross941
I do agree, and I wouldn't limit it to just mankind either. Territorial disputes aren't only commonly seen in humans. Conflict can, at times, be unavoidable and resolution is often unstable. It doesn't just stop. So in short there will be conflict with and without the aid of humans. (It's a necessary component for life on Earth.

Unless of course an alien species dominates Earth and has different instincts do to the fact it has a single undying leader with infinite and incontestable power.

LordSMVS
It's true. It'll be more true if you replace "men" with 'sentient beings."

Mandrag Ganon
There will always be conflict, there will always be war.
There will always be people willing to risk their lives for the side they stand with, and people willing to throw legions of said life riskers at their enemies.
There will always be someone who will rise and try to "conquer the world" and someone to confront them.
There will always be two sides who will shoot at eachother over a misunderstanding.
There will always be religious Zealots who believe killing non-believers is the way to attain eternal salvation, and there will always be someone to confront them.
And if humankind ever stops fighting amongst it's self (which I do find highly unlikely) I believe that we will have found other sentient beings to fight against by that point.

In the end the main driving force behind most human actions is them selves. Not always, there are truly benevolent people in this world, but there are not and never will be enough of said truly benevolent people to put an end to war in it's entirety.

Thundar

Think it's true ..?

As long as there is men, there will be supermen.

FSBOffer

ADarksideJedi
Yea but as long as there be peace there will be no war.

Juk3n
Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree?

I disagree, the world just has the wrong kind of men in charge. If he said, 'as long as there are idiots, there will be wars' id agree, as no intelligent person would ever force his countrymen into conflict that would endanger the lives of his wives and children and his entire race.

inimalist
if only those men in government were more rational (X) and not like those idiots who run everything (them). Then we would have peace and prosperity!

there are no inherent problems with the system of governance or human nature that make our political apparatuses and masses easily exploited to do violence, it is the subversive work of the idiots!

Juk3n
DOWN with Idiots, OOORAH!

inimalist
well, yes, but I hardly think that will do away with war

Juk3n
A smart person cannot go to war, it's a contradiction in terms, the same way that you cannot have an intelligent racist, war and racism are directly linked to stupidity. It could not be otherwise else the universe would implode.
big grin

And before someone says 'hitler was intelligent' I'll challenge..really?

Bankrupted his country, killed about 6 million people, pushed for an Aryan race even though he himself was a darky, does this sound like the actions of a smart person? Sounds like the actions of a d!ck to me, a moron, he certainly couldnt be called intelligent.

Ok im reaching, but to me, Intelligence in synonimous with peace - the way ignorance is to war.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Juk3n
A smart person cannot go to war, it's a contradiction in terms, the same way that you cannot have an intelligent racist, war and racism are directly linked to stupidity. It could not be otherwise else the universe would implode.

That's absurd. A smart person who is likely to win a war and wants something that can be gained most easily through war will do so, specifically because they are smart. You could at most say that a moral person will not go to war, but that requires a moral system where going to war is bad.

As for smart racists...

"Add to these, flowing hair, a more elegant symmetry of form, own judgment in favour of the whites, declared by their preference of them, as uniformly as is the preference of the Oran-gutan for the black women over those of his own species. The circumstance of superior beauty, is thought worthy attention in the propagation of our horses, dogs, and other domestic animals; why not in that of man? They secrete less by the kidnies, and more by the glands of the skin, which gives them a very strong and disagreeable odour. Comparing them by their faculties of memory, reason, and imagination, it appears to me, that in memory they are equal to the whites; in reason much inferior, as I think one could scarcely be found capable of tracing and comprehending the investigations of Euclid; and that in imagination they are dull, tasteless, and anomalous. "
-- Thomas Jefferson.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>