Superhero Mount Rushmore

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
if you had to build a Mount Rushmore of Comicbooks and put 4 faces on it, whose faces would you choose and why? these would be the 'faces' of comicbooks and would be representing the history/legacy (modern and past) of the industry. come up with the 4 faces you think best represent the comicbook industry as a whole, past and present. i'll give my own list later so as not to steak anyone's thunder.

please explain WHY you put who you did on the mountain.

Scoobless
the entirety of comics history represented by 4 faces?

you mean characters or creators?

NoFate007
Four best superhero's to give us a Mount Rushmore?

In my mind:

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Wolverine.

Now, I'm not a huge Superman fan but he definitely deserves it, as do the rest. They're four of the most popular, plus they're four that have withstood the test of time and are always staying popular (have you ever heard a little kid mention Power Man? lol) If they wrote Flash the way he should be written, he would have a shot up there, but they don't, so he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Anti-Wolverine people, c'mon...yes he gets the focus on like every comic, and yes the fanboys give him more of a god appearance than he really is, but the fact of the matter is that he's widely accepted as one of the coolest X-Men, and he's generally a fan favorite, and there are TONS of people that I know that say the reason they got into comics is because of him.

Those are the 4 I think deserve it, and there's no possible way I'm gonna go the politically correct "don't want to offend anyone route" and throw Wonder Woman in there just cause she's a woman and "provides a good role model". Good character, but she doesn't match up to those 4.

FG725
i'd; try and put one for different comic companies but there is only three i like so id do them here would be my four
Batman,spawn,Spiderman,wolverine

mine is alot like no fate's list i picked these guys not because they are my favorite characters but many other peoples you cant go up to anybody pretty much that doesnt know who wolverine is same with spiderman and batman all have big movie franchises Spawn however isnt as well known but is one of the biggest image characters out there

H. S. 6
Superman. Batman. Spider-Man. Wolverine.

or

Superman. Batman. Spider-Man. Wonder-Woman.

jrodslam
Superman, Batman, Spiderman and Captain America

I personally think Namor can be switched with either Spidey or Cap.

Professor N
SUPERMAN - often seen as the original superhero and the definition of a comic book hero

BATMAN - along with superman he is arguably DC most popular character

SPIDERMAN - in marvel i think few characters have the popularity of this character

WOLVERINE - ditto for spiderman, arguably the most famous x man

I think these characters (with the possible exception of batman) are generally seen as the favourite/coolest/best powered superheros.
I have taken into account what i consider occassional comic book readers, and cartoons based on the characters, as well as die hard comic book readers.

Obviously when you think of comics you DONT think of celestials, skyfathers, eternals or gods.

You think of the most famous superheros there are.

who?-kid
Marvel : Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America and Thor.

DC : Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Shazam.

BobbyD
Only 4, huh Leo? Interesting thread, by the way.

How someone does not add Supes, I don't know....even if they hate the f****r.

From there it's Batman, Spiderman, and the last spot gets interesting....toss up between Cap'n American, The Hulk, and Wonder Woman I suppose.

BobbyD
Oh....they deserve to be on it because of lengivity, $sales, and popularity. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. wink

DigiMark007
Longshot, The Tick, The Doctor, and Doop

... wink

Cap/Spidey/Bats/Supes might go over better, but that's my 4 damnit!

The Ion
Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman or Captain America

roughrider
Even the Superman haters can't deny him his place on Rushmore. This should be about influence, popularity and durability.
He would be joined by Batman, naturally. Plus Spider Man - the top single face of Marvel. The fourth spot, it's between Capatin America and The Hulk. Hulk pioneeered the hero as misunderstood monster, and has one of the longest runs of popularity as an anti-hero. Cap was created because of WW2, and is a symbol of national spirit and trying to lead by example.

leonidas
Originally posted by Scoobless
the entirety of comics history represented by 4 faces?

you mean characters or creators?

could be a combination. no rules. just who do you think best defines comicbooks/comicbook history.

leonidas
oh, and good thinking out of the box, scoob. i fear i lead people down the strictly superherp route by the title. mayeb COMICBOOK Rushmore would have been more apt . . .

but some great ideas anyway. seems spidey supes and bats are almost everyone's choices, but that fourth position has been interesting.

Professor N
I suppose if you are including creators, superheros etc. . . as well i would put my moutain as

Stan Lee
Alex Ross ( I think he is brilliant )
Superman
Spiderman

leonidas
all right, after much consideration, my mountain would feature these 4:

stan lee - no need i trust for explanations . . .

jack kirby - they didn't call him the king for nothing. at one time or another he put his mark on nearly every comicbook that had any relevence. when i think of comics, i think of jack every time . . .

superman - how can you not? even if he technically wasn't the first, he's the one most responsible for putting comics in the public eye and keeping it there. movies, tv, comicstrips. too many reasons to name . . .

spiderman - many of the same reasons apply to spidey as they do to supes. my main reason though is because spidey was the first (among the first) of marvel's innovative and more 'realistic' superheroes that changed the face of the industry. marvel wanted to add realism to comics. they chose spidey to exemplify that ideal, and i believe they chose well indeed . .. wink

grey fox
I would put one face for each company

Superman- would be first of course , he is the forerunner of all comics

Spider man is next - the most famous marvel character their is ( most people know spideys origins and his basic enemies , can a random bystander say the same for wolvie ? ....didn't think so)

Spawn- his fame preceded him during the 1990's so our image representative get's third place with his face carved into the rock

Marv - Yup , dark horses semi-popular Antihero get's the last place as not many people know of dark horse (compared to the others)

The Ion
If we're throwing in creators too it gets too hard. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, George Perez, Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man should all be there. I petition for a 6 man mountain. yes

willRules
Originally posted by NoFate007
Four best superhero's to give us a Mount Rushmore?

In my mind:

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Wolverine.

Now, I'm not a huge Superman fan but he definitely deserves it, as do the rest. They're four of the most popular, plus they're four that have withstood the test of time and are always staying popular (have you ever heard a little kid mention Power Man? lol) If they wrote Flash the way he should be written, he would have a shot up there, but they don't, so he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Anti-Wolverine people, c'mon...yes he gets the focus on like every comic, and yes the fanboys give him more of a god appearance than he really is, but the fact of the matter is that he's widely accepted as one of the coolest X-Men, and he's generally a fan favorite, and there are TONS of people that I know that say the reason they got into comics is because of him.

Those are the 4 I think deserve it, and there's no possible way I'm gonna go the politically correct "don't want to offend anyone route" and throw Wonder Woman in there just cause she's a woman and "provides a good role model". Good character, but she doesn't match up to those 4.

I agree yes

leonidas
Originally posted by The Ion
If we're throwing in creators too it gets too hard. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, George Perez, Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man should all be there. I petition for a 6 man mountain. yes

don't change my rules!! mad

big grin

leonidas
well . . .

BUMP!!

big grin

starlock
Comic characters
Superman,Batman,Spiderman,Wolverine
i think this is on point

Comic Creators
Stan Lee
Mark Gruenhald
jack Kirby
Geroge Perez

oops we now have two montains, sorry leo

TricksterPriest
The 4 faces are: Superman, Batman, Thanos, Darkseid, Poccy and Adam Warlock. I know, I added two extras. But I think they earned a place on there.

CasanoVa
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
The 4 faces are: Superman, Batman, Thanos, Darkseid, Poccy and Adam Warlock. I know, I added two extras. But I think they earned a place on there.

That list, IMO is pathetic no expression

Apocalypse? No.
Darkseid? Meh no, but alot more understandable than Poccy.
Adam Warlock? No, just way too obscure.
Thanos? I could kinda get, kinda on par with Darkseid.

Superman
Batman
Spiderman
Wolverine

Comic Creators?

Will Eisner
Jack Kirby
Stan Lee
Jerry Siegel

UniOmni
This is the face of the comic character Rushmore.

Batman- Dark history taints this character, but beloved he is.
Superman- The last Son of Krypton, and the first father of the conventionals. Hope for the world wears this shield.
Spiderman- The original everyman who just wanted to make it through the day. The first true Superhero, since he didn't have a set of Supermorals.
Hulk- The best and most popular anti-hero, who to this day just can't catch a break.

That's the Rushmore of Comics.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by CasanoVa
That list, IMO is pathetic no expression

Apocalypse? No.
Darkseid? Meh no, but alot more understandable than Poccy.
Adam Warlock? No, just way too obscure.
Thanos? I could kinda get, kinda on par with Darkseid.

Superman
Batman
Spiderman
Wolverine

Comic Creators?

Will Eisner
Jack Kirby
Stan Lee
Jerry Siegel

That list is supposed to represent the best characters, not the most popular.

Ok, I admit Poccy was a personal preference. stick out tongue

But the rest are more deserving than over-wanked assholes like Wolverine. Thanos, Darkseid and AW are actually good, even great characters. Spidey I might see, but he doesn't rank in the same page as those 3. They're better written, more interesting and more unique.

CasanoVa
That list is supposed to represent the best characters, not the most popular.

Ok, I admit Poccy was a personal preference. stick out tongue

But the rest are more deserving than over-wanked assholes like Wolverine. Thanos, Darkseid and AW are actually good, even great characters. Spidey I might see, but he doesn't rank in the same page as those 3. They're better written, more interesting and more unique.

Again:

Spiderman, Wolverine, Batman and Superman IMO are undoubtedly the best comic characters ever made, it's only the way they are handled sometimes that can wreck their appeal. If somebody came up to me and said, hey how about that Adam Warlock? Isn't he just the greatest comic creation ever? I would flat out say no.

So from where I'm sitting, their popularity stems from their superiority as a character, meaning if they werent already the best characters they wouldnt have gained such a large fanbase.

But yeah, I dont really care erm

Your list still sucks roll eyes (sarcastic)

Gregory
As for characters ... Superman, Batman, and Spider Man, obviously. The fourth is a lot harder.

Wolverine--One of Marvel's best known characters; the best known X-Man. On the other hand, because he is "the best known X-Man"--as a member of a team--he's not as individually iconic as the other three. I suspect that if someone doesn't know who the X-Men are, he won't know who Wolverine is, either. Maybe not a lot of recognition among non-comic fans, but it might be appropriate to put someone from Marvel's most popular team on here.

Wonder Woman--DC's third most well-known character, without a doubt, but I understand that she's not all that popular. Furthermore, although everybody can recognize her--including noncomic fans--most nonfans probably don't have any real conception of her as a character. As a random person of the street about Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man, and he could probably tell you something about their personalities. Ask him about Wonder Woman, and he could probably tell you her panty design. Maybe something about her lasso. She's famous without anybody really knowing anything about her.

Captain America--probably not as famous as Wolverine or Wonder Woman among the general public, but more iconic then Wolverine (even though he was with the Avengers, I think people tend to view him as an individual , whereas they think of Wolverine as "one of the X-Men."

Hulk--Everybody knows Hulk's story, and everybody's heard the phrase "Hulk smash!" at least once in their life. He's certainly famous--more famous then Wolverine and Captain America, I'd bet.

Judge Dredd--Huh? Well, comic books aren't a strictly American phenominon, and if you want to represent all comic books, instead of just American ones, we shouldn't restrict ourselves to characters who are super popular in America. Judge Dredd must be Great Britian's most popular comic book character, and he at least has face recognition in America.

Dredd and Hulk are probably the best contestants, but it's a toss-up between them.

roughrider
If this was for comic creators rather than superheroes, then -

Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Julius Schwartz and Will Eisner. thumb up

Symmetric Chaos
Superman
CaptainAmerica
Batman
IronMan

All of these guys are well known and have had an influnce on creating certain character archetypes.

Newjak
Superman/Batman/Spiderman/Captain America

shksprtx
Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and Captain America ftw...the four most iconic and recognizable figures in comics history...

Alfheim
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

IronMan

*points* Look he picked Iron Man! Get him! mad

*sings* Lets all beat up Symmetric, lets all beat up symmetric, la, la, la , la. (Its an english football hooligan thing you wouldnt understand)

Galan007
Marvel:

Hulk
Captain America
Spider-Man
Ironman

DC:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Luthor

Alfheim
Originally posted by Galan007
Marvel:

Ironman

Quick! Beat him up! laughing out loud

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Alfheim
*points* Look he picked Iron Man! Get him! mad

*sings* Lets all beat up Symmetric, lets all beat up symmetric, la, la, la , la. (Its an english football hooligan thing you wouldnt understand)

angrymob Manchester United ftw! laughing

shksprtx
Originally posted by Galan007
Marvel:

Hulk
Captain America
Spider-Man
Ironman

DC:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern

Co-signed, with one minor correction...

Alfheim
angrymob Manchester United ftw! laughing

I love that smiley angrymob, thats the one I was looking for laughing Isnt there one with an angry mob with guns?

Originally posted by shksprtx
Co-signed, with one minor correction...

You said Ironman angrymob. Get him!

Mindship
Superman (like any explanation is actually necessary).

Spider-Man: Marvel's icon, and arguably the most popular superhero, at least at the moment. He could also stand as a symbol of exercising power responsibly.

Wonder Woman: I could say for political correctness, but that's trite. Better to say, women--obviously--count as much as men, (and like the others here, she is also very well known).

Captain America: c'mon: monument to American heroes on an American mountain? To not have him on would be like leaving the stars off the American flag.

For those who might be wondering: the reason I did not put Batman on is because he represents, somewhat, vigilante justice, not necessarily the Rule of Law. Americans generally like to see themselves as noble and defect-free, the light unto other nations God Bless America here].

illadelph12
Superman, Captain America, Mighty Mouse, and Popeye.

SpunkySmurph
Marvel:
Spiderman
Captain America
Wolverine
Hulk

DC:
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Joker

masterbruce
great thread!

very tuff though

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spiderman
4. tough...between Wolverine and Hulk I think

Faceman
1. Superman
2. Spiderman
3. Batman
4. Captain America

Grimm22
For creators, it would be Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Will Eisner and Steve Ditko or John Byrne

DarkCrawler
Stan Lee - Is still responsible for nearly all famous creations in the comic book world, is probably the biggest reason in why people read comics, and well, he's the Man.

Superman - the first, most famous, and most legendary superhero? Err, nuff' said?

Spider-Man - Was most likely the first hero to be the "everyman", a normal guy who got powers and uses them to help people. Probably one of the few superheroes people can relate, and he's always the underdog. Plus he is in the Top Three most famous superheroes ever.

And the fourth place I can't really choose between Jack Kirby, Batman or Mickey Mouse.

leonidas
smile

willRules
If it were solely creators

Stan Lee
Alan Moore
Grant Morrison
George Perez

They are by no means my most favourite, just the ones who have really defined comicdom.

If it were based on my favourite....at the moment....

Mark Millar
Grant Morrison
Jim Lee
Brian K Vaughan

Nihilist
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Marvel:
Spiderman
Captain America
Wolverine
Hulk

DC:
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Joker This

psycho gundam
Originally posted by leonidas
smile shut up

Badabing
Originally posted by jrodslam
Superman, Batman, Spiderman and Captain America

I personally think Namor can be switched with either Spidey or Cap. Agreed. I'd also add Hulk, Hal, WW and Logan to the runners up/interchangeable list.

Bouboumaster
Superman, Spider-Man, Batman and Hulk

leonidas
Originally posted by psycho gundam
shut up

cdb kicked your a$$ . . . shifty

and it's not just creators, or just comic characters--it's all those combined . . .

i think stan and superman are absolute must-haves. i think a STRONG case could be made for ww as the first really uber-popular female, but i think i would likely go with spidey and the king, jack kirby to round out my 4.

stan
spidey
kirby
superman

hard for me to imagine anyone else who's had such long-lasting and industry-altering impacts.

Nephthys
Squirrel Girl. There is no other, lest we ..... anger her.

Badabing
Originally posted by Nephthys
Squirrel Girl. There is no other, lest we ..... anger her. laughing out loud

dmills
Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Captain America. No four characters are more iconic PERIOD.

Naija boy
Superman,spiderman,Batman,Hulk

jinXed by JaNx
Superman--
Although he is an Alien he deserves to be on a superhero MT rushmore more than anyone. Not only is he the template of the superhero formula and the embodiment of good. His power is seemingly unlimited and he still chooses to live on Earth only as a Savior. At times he exhibits more human qualities than any other human.

Professor Xavier--
Just like any good super-hero Professor X has great power at his disposal and chooses to use it only for good and the betterment of human and mutant kind. He is not only supremely powerful but he also commands and teaches some of the most powerful heros in the world and urges them to use their powers for good. His diplomacy earns him a spot on Rushmore.

Captain America--
Most people know that most mainstream comics have been an American thing, for the most part. Captain America is the one Hero who embodies the beliefs and values of an entire nation. Although, his nation has changed he stays true to what was once held so high in America...,truth, Justice and the American Way. You may not always agree with Cap but you can always understand and sympathize with where he is coming from. His leadership, beliefs and good will Earn him a spot on Mt heroMORE.

Batman--
This one is a no brainer to me. Batman is the one hero that everyone can relate to. Most heros always have mundane concerns and problems so that we as the audience can relate to but Batman is a MAN...,nothing more. Created out of revenge and sustained out of a sense justice, Batman and Bruce Wayne have become blurred, Bruce Wayne is more Batman than Bruce. He is engaged to his commitment and will die before it's broken.

Aztec123
Dc: Superman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan and Bruce

Marvel: Cyclops, Rogue, Storm and Spiderman

leonidas
rogue? What the f**k?

and there are only FOUR spots on the mountain, not eight . . .

-Pr-
Characters: Superman, Spider-Man, Batman and Captain America
Creators: Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, George Perez and Dave Cockrum

at least imo.

leonidas
Originally posted by -Pr-
Characters: Superman, Spider-Man, Batman and Captain America
Creators: Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, George Perez and Dave Cockrum

at least imo.

geez, you too . . .??

-Pr-
geez, you too . . .??

what'd i do?

Alpha Centauri
Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, Hulk.

-AC

leonidas
Originally posted by -Pr-
what'd i do?

last i checked there were only FOUR faces on the mountain . . . big grin

kgkg
Superman and Batman is pretty much a must from the DC side.

From Marvel Spiderman is also a must than you can choose from Hulk , Wov , Cap.

I would go with Superman , Batman , Spiderman , Hulk

Philosophía
Characters: Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Hulk.

Creators: Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison.

-Pr-
last i checked there were only FOUR faces on the mountain . . . big grin

i was just giving options... uhuh

leonidas
so, because the thread was soooooo cool..... BUMP!! big grin

Badabing
Batman, Guy Gardner, Captain America, Hulk.

Cogito
Originally posted by roughrider
Even the Superman haters can't deny him his place on Rushmore. This should be about influence, popularity and durability.
He would be joined by Batman, naturally. Plus Spider Man - the top single face of Marvel. The fourth spot, it's between Capatin America and The Hulk. Hulk pioneeered the hero as misunderstood monster, and has one of the longest runs of popularity as an anti-hero. Cap was created because of WW2, and is a symbol of national spirit and trying to lead by example.

Prep-Man
Uncle Sam should be up there. He was the first patriotic hero, IIRC.

JakeTheBank
DC only: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and either GL or Flash.

Marvel only: Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America

DC & Marvel: Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Hulk

leonidas
i'm pretty shocked that i keep seeing so many wolverine votes. i know he's popular, and a cash cow, but as far as his overall impact on marvel and the significance of his character i'm just not seeing it. if it were just marvel, i would have to go with spidey, hulk, cap and ironman/thor. i'd place namor above logan on the list as well.... no slight against logan, i just don't really see him as relevent until frank miller put him officially on the map. claremont did some good things with him in a team setting, but miller changed him forever. i just don't see him as having the history of the others, or as having symbolized something significant as the others have done. erm

JakeTheBank
Honestly, if I could, I'd put the entire F4 above Wolverine. Easily.

Actually, I'd like to replace Wolverine with the giant 4 logo on the face of Rushmore.

basilisk
Living Tribunal - the faces of Equity, Vengeance, Necessity, and the fourth face a blank space.

Otherwise, I think these guys are a given:
1) Superman
2) Batman
3) Spider-Man

...but I honestly can't think of a fourth superhero character that has penetrated culture and the public consciousness to quite the same extent.

If I had to pick the fourth I guess it would be someone like Hulk, Wonder Woman etc. Not Wolverine, as much as I used to like the character.

srankmissingnin
i'm pretty shocked that i keep seeing so many wolverine votes. i know he's popular, and a cash cow, but as far as his overall impact on marvel and the significance of his character i'm just not seeing it. if it were just marvel, i would have to go with spidey, hulk, cap and ironman/thor. i'd place namor above logan on the list as well.... no slight against logan, i just don't really see him as relevent until frank miller put him officially on the map. claremont did some good things with him in a team setting, but miller changed him forever. i just don't see him as having the history of the others, or as having symbolized something significant as the others have done. erm

... What?

The All-New All-Different X-Men revived a dying comic with horrible sales figures that had been on hiatus for years, only publishing reprints and made the X-Men constantly one of the top selling franchise in comics for close to three decades (until the 2000s when Marvel decided to give the Avengers some love and the X-Men were mismanaged and treated to a string of terrible story). A large portion of the success of the X-Men can be directly attributed to the break out popularity of Wolverine as a character. How is Wolverine possibly less "relevant" to the history of comics than Cap, Thor, Iron-man, Hulk or (lol) Namor? Aside from being more popular, the fact that he is a more complex, nuanced and all round better character than any of the above, he has also appeared in better, more iconic story arcs. Even Walt Simon's Thor and Bob Layton's run on Iron Man doesn't hold a candle to the Claremont / Bryne era of X-Men.

Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Wolverine

Don't see how anyone can rationally argue otherwise. The only slightly reasonable sub for Wolverine is Iron Man, and that is %100 because of the insane popularity of the movies.

leonidas
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
... What?

The All-New All-Different X-Men revived a dying comic with horrible sales figures that had been on hiatus for years, only publishing reprints and made the X-Men constantly one of the top selling franchise in comics for close to three decades (until the 2000s when Marvel decided to give the Avengers some love and the X-Men were mismanaged and treated to a string of terrible story). A large portion of the success of the X-Men can be directly attributed to the break out popularity of Wolverine as a character. How is Wolverine possibly less "relevant" to the history of comics than Cap, Thor, Iron-man, Hulk or (lol) Namor? Aside from being more popular, the fact that he is a more complex, nuanced and all round better character than any of the above, he has also appeared in better, more iconic story arcs. Even Walt Simon's Thor and Bob Layton's run on Iron Man doesn't hold a candle to the Claremont / Bryne era of X-Men.

Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Wolverine

Don't see how anyone can rationally argue otherwise. The only slightly reasonable sub for Wolverine is Iron Man, and that is %100 because of the insane popularity of the movies.

'fraid i'm not buying any of that srank. claremont's run WAS epic, but its greateness wasn't contingent on logan (especially as he is portrayed today). the STORIES were great, and logan wasn't even clearly the most integral part of that team. we can argue iconic runs all day. was claremont's better than miller's dd? i doubt it, personally. layton's run was awesome--the alcoholism stuff was unreal at the time. simonson's run was great. starlin's early stuff was great. and so on.... imo, logan did nothing extraordinary. he was a solid character who's grown to become immensely popular, but what has he really added to the genre? not much imo. he's not the first anti-hero. he's not the first mutant. he was important to the xmen, but no more important or essential than scott or peter.

when i think of the most important (marvel characters for the sake of this discussion), i view it as characters who changed the industry. namor was vital to marvel early on, and is one of the fundamental marvel characters. he's one of the characters that got marvel on its way. popularity doesn't change his role. who knows if logan would have evolved had namor not been the first mutant. spidey was the quintessential marvel character and was everything that was 'different' from dc.

cap has been an icon since his inception, was in fact created to BE an icon and an embodiment of an ideal.

hulk was an incredible character, played up the nuclear age (an angle that also benefitted logan and the mutants) and ironman exemplified the budding 'technological' age.

logan? really exemplifes.....nothing imo, aside from popularity and the big business of comics. he wouldn't come close to my personal top 4 in marvel, let alone in comics. we not usually too far off opinion-wise, but this time, we see things very differently.

and jake, i ALSO considered putting the number 4 on the mount, but thought it might be cheating. laughing out loud

dmills
Superman- The quintessential Superhero. The character is ingrained in pop culture. My 6 year old son not only knows who Superman is, but already has a general knowledge of his origins, powers and alter ego. And I've never even told him about the guy! Crazy.

Spiderman- Nearly the same as Superman. Ingrained in pop culture.

Batman- Quite possibly the greatest top to bottom, most well known Rogues gallery in comicdom and a fascinating back story to boot. There are actual college courses taught about Batman. Insane.

Not too sure about 4. Toss up between wonder woman, the hulk and Cap.

leonidas
all right, after much consideration, my mountain would feature these 4:

stan lee - no need i trust for explanations . . .

jack kirby - they didn't call him the king for nothing. at one time or another he put his mark on nearly every comicbook that had any relevence. when i think of comics, i think of jack every time . . .

superman - how can you not? even if he technically wasn't the first, he's the one most responsible for putting comics in the public eye and keeping it there. movies, tv, comicstrips. too many reasons to name . . .

spiderman - many of the same reasons apply to spidey as they do to supes. my main reason though is because spidey was the first (among the first) of marvel's innovative and more 'realistic' superheroes that changed the face of the industry. marvel wanted to add realism to comics. they chose spidey to exemplify that ideal, and i believe they chose well indeed . .. wink

even after all this time, i don't think i would change this....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.