Friday the 13th

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison
To day is Friday the 13th, how many people think that something bad will happen today?

silver_tears
I've had a decent day smile no worse and no better than others this week.

Impediment
So far, nothing yet. However, tonight is a different matter. Today is my birthday and tonight we're gonna party. Hopefully it'll all go off without a hitch.

T.M
Paraskevidekatriaphobia doesn't affect me no

my day has been the same as any other.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
To day is Friday the 13th, how many people think that something bad will happen today? Now why'd ya have to say that!!!

I was having such a good day. confused

Victor Von Doom
I'm sure something bad will happen today, but then it does every day, somewhere.

T.M
I do agree with you Victor something bad will happen and people will probably blame it on the date. Although people shouldn't mock paraskevidekatriaphobia (or the other 2 names for this phobia) as psychologists have found that some people are more likely to have accidents or fall ill on Friday the 13th.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by T.M
I do agree with you Victor something bad will happen and people will probably blame it on the date. Although people shouldn't mock paraskevidekatriaphobia (or the other 2 names for this phobia) as psychologists have found that some people are more likely to have accidents or fall ill on Friday the 13th.

It's a self-actualising prophecy though. If you walk around expecting something to make you jump, you'll jump. Same with accidents.

T.M
yeah but people have this heightened state of anxiety on this day because bad things have happened to them in the past not because they are expecting something to happen.

Granted if something happens to someone on Friday 13th then the next Friday 13th they may look out for bad things and this is IMO not good for you because you are bound to see something. But if every Friday 13th I went out and something happened (got ill or something) I would be more cautious.

But bad things must have happened to the people on the day for them to then expect an incident to occur.

Lana
I don't understand the whole superstition behind Friday the 13th, personally.

debbiejo
It's like the "Law of attraction" you get what you dwell on.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by T.M

But bad things must have happened to the people on the day for them to then expect an incident to occur.

Bad things happen to people on lots of days...

debbiejo
Originally posted by Lana
I don't understand the whole superstition behind Friday the 13th, personally. I read it was named after Freya in Norse mythology. And if I remember right it was to be a good day, but not sure.

Friday the thirteenth is considered the unluckiest of days in many superstitions, unless you were born on Friday the thirteenth in which case it is your lucky day.

The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia, a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a phobia (fear) of the number thirteen.

Origins

The origins of Friday superstitions are many. One of the best known is that Eve tempted Adam with the apple on a Friday. Tradition also has it that the Flood in the Bible, the confusion at the Tower of Babel.

The origins of the Friday the 13th superstition have also been linked to the fact there were 13 people at the last supper of Jesus, who was traditionally crucified on Good Friday, but it probably originated only in medieval times.

It has also been linked to the fact that a lunisolar calendar must have 13 months in some years, while the solar Gregorian calendar and lunar Islamic calendar always have 12 months in a year.

Norse Legend

Another suggestion is that the belief originated in a Norse myth about twelve gods having a feast in Valhalla. The mischievous Loki gatecrashed the party as an uninvited 13th guest and arranged for Hod, the blind god of darkness, to shoot Baldur, the god of joy and gladness, with a mistletoe-tipped arrow. Baldur was killed and the Earth was plunged into darkness and mourning as a result.
Later she was confused with the goddess of love, Freya, who in turn became identified with Friday. When the Norsemen and Germanic tribes became Christians, Freya was supposed to have been banished to the mountains as a witch. Friday came to be called 'witches' Sabbath. It was believed that on this day, each week, twelve witches and the Devil met - thirteen evil spirits in all.

soleran30
It's a self-actualising prophecy.

Aren't most of them self-actualising though yes

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by soleran30
It's a self-actualising prophecy.

Aren't most of them self-actualising though yes

That or coincidence.

Shakyamunison
It all has something to do with the Knights Templar. They were arrested on Friday the 13th by the king of France, later to be executed.

T.M
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Bad things happen to people on lots of days...

True, but if on a Friday 13th you say got ill had the flu for example. Then the next Friday 13th you are out with friends and you get hurt say you're riding you bike and you fall off. Then the next Friday 13th you get ill again. and so on wouldn't you start getting superstitious?

Lana
Originally posted by T.M
True, but if on a Friday 13th you say got ill had the flu for example. Then the next Friday 13th you are out with friends and you get hurt say you're riding you bike and you fall off. Then the next Friday 13th you get ill again. and so on wouldn't you start getting superstitious?

I wouldn't, because stuff like that happens to me all the time.

Grand Moff Gav
Normal day today.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by T.M

No, because I wouldn't be thinking about Friday the 13th as a cause. If it continued to happen after someone pointing it out, I'd put it down to bad luck AKA unfortunate coincidence.

Not a deterministic cosmology.

T.M
Originally posted by Lana
I wouldn't, because stuff like that happens to me all the time.

Maybe you just have permanent bad luck anyway then laughing out loud

also did you know the 13th is always more likely to be on a Friday than any other day.

Also if the 1st day of the month is a Sunday there will be a Friday 13th

BackFire
So far I've been hit by a bus, a plane fell on my, my house burned down, 9 black cats attacked my groin and destroyed any chances of me reproducing, I woke up and there was a strange man standing over me naked with an odd smile on his face, so far so good, HOWEVER, I just discovered that there is no Friday the 13th marathon on like there always used to be....God damn you, fate!

debbiejo
It's Freyas fault...Fridays named after her. wink

Lana
Originally posted by BackFire
So far I've been hit by a bus, a plane fell on my, my house burned down, 9 black cats attacked my groin and destroyed any chances of me reproducing, I woke up and there was a strange man standing over me naked with an odd smile on his face, so far so good, HOWEVER, I just discovered that there is no Friday the 13th marathon on like there always used to be....God damn you, fate!

laughing

Originally posted by debbiejo
It's Freyas fault...Fridays named after her. wink

Yes, blame the Norse goddess of love stick out tongue

Roulette
Nothing bad happened to me...I just had a normal day.

I've never been a superstitious person, so when Friday the 13th comes along, I don't give a craphappy

FistOfThe North
Judas was the 13th guy to show up at the final supper.

Ronny
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
To day is Friday the 13th, how many people think that something bad will happen today? DUMB!!!

debbiejo
Guess what nothing happened......only because I was thinking about something not happening......Just going along my day.....now if I was, I'm sure I would of tripped myself up.

It's all in the mind.......

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Ronny
DUMB!!!

Just don't do that on a plane. eek!

debbiejo
eek! <<<-------This is the day after.

Roulette
Originally posted by debbiejo
Guess what nothing happened......only because I was thinking about something not happening......Just going along my day.....now if I was, I'm sure I would of tripped myself up.

It's all in the mind.......

yes If ye believe that something bad will happen, it usually does...

I mean, I convince myself over and over again that I'm gunna do something klutzy, and, surely enough, I'll trip over something soon afterembarrasment

damn..I really gotta stop thinking that I'm a klutz^^;

Sadako of Girth
In Japan '4' is the unlucky number as opposed to our thirteen thing.
Oddly, the 13th was cool for me.... But the early hours of Sat 14 were a way different story...

Neo_Version 7
I don't know why but this Friday the 13th was one of the worst days of my life... erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.