Will the Next Major War be Nuclear?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I have a feeling it will be. And it won't e pretty cause if it ends up being nuclear, more than 1 will be use.

The next war may be Nuclear

Nevermind
Hopefully there will be no next "major" war.

Imperial_Samura
I don't think so. The world got through the Cold War which was nothing but the constant threat of nukes, the finger forever hovering above the button. M.A.D., nuclear deterrence and all that jazz.. And we got through it.

There are no benefits of nuclear war, but plenty of problems with it. And really, it's questionable whether there will be another "major" war, at least for the time being. We have one dominant superpower, and atomic weapons have only been used once in war ever, and that was really just to demonstrate their power. I don't think nuclear war is high on the likelihood scale.

Far more likely for more flash point, smaller countries to get a bit trigger happy and start flinging bombs at one another, like over Kashmir or Israel, affecting a smaller area, then for a global nuclear war to begin.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Nevermind
Hopefully there will be no next "major" war.

We're in a "Major" war right now. the war against terrorism; the war in Iraq. The "Major" war before that it was Operation Dessert Storm in the 90's. The next "Major" war before that was in Vietnam in the 60's. The next "Major" war before Vietnam was probably the Korean war. The the mother of all "Major" wars; World Wars 1 and 2. And these "Major" wars were declared just in the 20th century. These 6 "Major" wars have taken place in within the time span of 90 years.

What makes you think that there will not be another "Major" war again. War is a consistent habit of man and notice that the wars heavily involve the US. Iran may be the next "Major" war.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
And really, it's questionable whether there will be another "major" war, at least for the time being.

We have one dominant superpower, and atomic weapons have only been used once in war ever, and that was really just to demonstrate their power.

I don't think nuclear war is high on the likelihood scale.

It's questionable whether there'll be another "Major" war at least for the time being? I'm going to assume that you haven't been into the U.S. - Iran tension for your own reasons, be what they may be.

If you think that the US is the one dominant superpower of the planet then I'll have to ardently disagree with you on your ill notion.

Nuclear War is on a probable scale is what I think you meant to write. Nuclear tension in Israel and Iran is very volatile now as is the Indian and Pakistani conflict over in Kashmir.

Imperial_Samura
When I think of a major war where there is a danger of nuclear conflict, I think of a war between equals, not the US bludgeoning some outdated army from the air, or nations who rely on wave tactics (like Vietnam) - serious yes, they affect the world, but not the kind of situations where Nukes would come into play - it took a war like WWII for an atomic bomb to actually be used, even unnecessarily...

And after all, if Iran is the next "major" WAR and the US for some strange reason used nukes, well, it still wouldn't really be a nuclear conflict as Iran doesn't posses offensive nuclear capabilities. It would be the US dropping nuclear weapons on them, and Iran not being able to retaliate on a similar level. So Iran better get a wriggle on with it's nuclear program.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
I don't think so. We have one dominant superpower, and atomic weapons have only been used once in war ever, and that was really just

Actually 2 (nuclear) Atomic bombs were dropped in WWII. In Japan on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
If you think that the US is the one dominant superpower of the planet then I'll have to ardently disagree with you on your ill notion.

Nuclear War is on a probable scale is what I think you meant to write. Nuclear tension in Israel and Iran is very volatile now as is the Indian and Pakistani conflict over in Kashmir.

Which is what I was saying. It is far more likely for there to be a limited nuclear conflict at those flash points. Now any nuclear slugging match would be serious, but compared to say the danger of nuclear conflict during the cold war, or if the US and China went at it, they would be relatively minor, and contained to a relatively small area.

And the US isn't the only global power, but it is the dominant one. After the collapse of the USSR the US was left alone at the top. Yes, the gap has narrowed significantly between it and say China, or a unified Europe, but there is still a gap, if only in nuclear arsenals and their quality.

True, two bombs were dropped, but it was part of a single offensive, and it has only happened once, hence atomic weapons have only be used in a war once.

Victor Von Doom
You seem to have an obsessive fascination with the cessation of all known life.

I'm not sure if it's a mania, or an attempt to be weighty.

Alpha Centauri
The key here is asking two questions:

1) How many times have their been nuclear attacks in war?

Answer: Two/One offensive.

2) Why has there not been another?

Answer: Because nobody wants that to happen to them. Which would inevitably be the result of using one first.

So will the next war be nuclear? I'd say it's less likely than ever. Will there be other nuclear attacks? It's a possibility I guess, accounting for nutcases. I doubt there will be a nuclear WAR though.

-AC

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
You seem to have an obsessive fascination with the cessation of all known life.

I'm not sure if it's a mania, or an attempt to be weighty.

There is a consistency that I do see, isn't there.

Hm, didn't catch that but in reply it's neither of the two. I'm just morbidly curious person that's all.

Darth Jello
well depleted uranium shells have been in US since gulf war I and those have been show to be very damaging to the environment and human life.

Nevermind
We're in a "Major" war right now. the war against terrorism; the war in Iraq. The "Major" war before that it was Operation Dessert Storm in the 90's. The next "Major" war before that was in Vietnam in the 60's. The next "Major" war before Vietnam was probably the Korean war. The the mother of all "Major" wars; World Wars 1 and 2. And these "Major" wars were declared just in the 20th century. These 6 "Major" wars have taken place in within the time span of 90 years.

What makes you think that there will not be another "Major" war again. War is a consistent habit of man and notice that the wars heavily involve the US. Iran may be the next "Major" war.

Hence the reason I used quotation marks. Every war is major. The way you said it in your first post didn't seem to recognize that fact until clearly shown right now. There is nothing minimal about war, it's serious shit.

Grand Moff Gav
I don't see there ever being another "major" war, the EU, Nato and the UN keep all the world super powers on the same side.

Fire

Just wondering but you seriously believe that war against terrorism stuff?

Grand Moff Gav
Believing it is irrelevant, the fact is its there.

amity75
I have a feeling it will be. And it won't e pretty cause if it ends up being nuclear, more than 1 will be use.

The next war may be Nuclear The next war will be nuclear and the one after that will be fought with rocks and sticks.

Neo_Version 7
Originally posted by amity75
The next war will be nuclear and the one after that will be fought with rocks and sticks.

You can't beat the old skool.

WrathfulDwarf
Nuclear? What the?! Are you still stuck in the 80's? We're more likely to have biological warfare than nuclear. Germs are the future.....

Fire
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
Believing it is irrelevant, the fact is its there.

you classifie that idea as taking terrorism as a war?

I still don't see how someone can call it a war. Just because you strike back at terrorists after they committed 911 does not make it a war on terrorism. That was a "war" (altho hardly worth calling it) between the US (and allies) and the Taliban.

if you want to call passing laws against and coming down hard on terrorism a war than by all means do. But I think it is a wrong use of the word.

A war is something that could be won (imo). And this "war" on terror can not be won.

DOOM2099
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It's a possibility I guess, accounting for nutcases. I doubt there will be a nuclear WAR though.

-AC

I suspect we have more to fear from terrorists than we do from nations...

Except for terrorist nations.

overlord

What makes you think that there will not be another "Major" war again. War is a consistent habit of man and notice that the wars heavily involve the US. Iran may be the next "Major" war. Wow, were the two worldwars... "major"? Glad you pointed that out!

As for the thread, I'm positive about the future.
WWI and II were special cases and I don't see that happening in a world like this. And as for the incredible war against terrorism: That's just pointless to me and I see that ending too.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by overlord
Wow, were the two worldwars.. "major"? Glad you pointed that out!

As for the thread, I'm positive about the future.

And as for the incredible war against terrorism: That's just pointless to me and I see that ending too.

Of course WWs I & II were Major wars. Probably the most significant out out all the wars I've mentioned, what kinda lol..Did you just forget to delete that part before you posted?

As far as positivity, I certainly will hope for the the end of the BS too. It's senseless. We just need to cool it (Emperor Bush). A wise man once said "All the world's problems could've been solved when they were small." And I couldn't agree more.

If you think that Emperor Bush will end terrorism in this world then you must not be as informed as you think you sound at times, overlord.

Terrorism will never end, unfortunately. That's like trying to end evil, that's a no-no too Daffy..

Terrorism is like the cold. It's there and has no cure and it sucks and it's irritating when it happens to you but you do what you can to temporarily relieve the symptoms until it disappears and lays dormant until it decides to come back unannounced to irritate the hell out of you.

You can take care of it temporarily but you cannot cure it. To think you can will just make things more irritating, like this lost war declared by your Emperor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.