Ultraviolet (2006)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lordofwar
In the late 21st century, a subculture of humans have emerged who have been modified genetically by a vampire-like disease, giving them enhanced speed, strength and intelligence, and because they are set apart from ordinary "healthy" humans, societal riffs push the world to the brink of worldwide civil war between the human government and the enhanced diseased populace. Caught in the middle is one such infected woman, Violet (Milla Jovovich), who finds herself protecting a nine-year-old boy, Six (Cameron Bright), who has been marked for death.

I think this movie is going to be amazing because Kurt Wimmer (Equilibrium) is directing it. Equilibrium is a great movie but underated. This guy has an excellent visual style - his action scenes are very imaginative. I think this film will be like the next Blade movies.

Milla Jovovich is beautiful and a talented actress, who kicked ass in The Fifth Element and the Resident Evil films.

Here's the trailer
http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/features/ultraviolet_trailer/default.asp

Koala MeatPie
I wasn't even concidering watching this untill "Clubbed to Death" came on.

it Just looks like another Summer Blockbuster...

But actually somewhat worth watching.

Who is that? Xena? Lucy lawless?

LiL nAstY GirL
This movie looks sooo good

DeVi| D0do
Loved Equilibrium... That trailer kicked all kinds of arse. Sounds like a take on the I, Robot story (which in turn was a take (and a bad one) on a story done a thousand times before) only with style and much more arse-kickery.

LiL nAstY GirL
Some pics

LiL nAstY GirL
Another

LiL nAstY GirL
Last one, my fav one

MildPossession
I'm looking forwards to it, but some of the acting looked wooden from some in that trailer, hopefully it was just those parts.

Been waiting for this movie for ages, another movie that reminds me of the Japanese film Casshern. Enjoyed Equilibrium a lot, so will be seeing this one, mix of the two films.

Eis
Originally posted by lordofwar
In the late 21st century, a subculture of humans have emerged who have been modified genetically by a vampire-like disease, giving them enhanced speed, strength and intelligence, and because they are set apart from ordinary "healthy" humans, societal riffs push the world to the brink of worldwide civil war between the human government and the enhanced diseased populace. Caught in the middle is one such infected woman, Violet (Milla Jovovich), who finds herself protecting a nine-year-old boy, Six (Cameron Bright), who has been marked for death.

I think this movie is going to be amazing because Kurt Wimmer (Equilibrium) is directing it. Equilibrium is a great movie but underated. This guy has an excellent visual style - his action scenes are very imaginative. I think this film will be like the next Blade movies.

Milla Jovovich is beautiful and a talented actress, who kicked ass in The Fifth Element and the Resident Evil films.

Here's the trailer
http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/features/ultraviolet_trailer/default.asp
I bet this is going to suuuuuuuuuck.

Spectr4L
I've been waiting a long while for the Ultraviolet teaser and thankfully it doesn't dissapoint.

Count me in on Feb 24th wink

DarkWizard
Wow. I saw some awesome chase scenes in there.

I hope it Lives up to Equilibrium.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL
Some pics

WTF is that? swords?

SWORDS on a gun?

its like.. hum. huh

LiL nAstY GirL
Nothing gets past you does it?

TOH
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
I wasn't even concidering watching this untill "Clubbed to Death" came on.

it Just looks like another Summer Blockbuster...

But actually somewhat worth watching.

Who is that? Xena? Lucy lawless?
It's Milla Jovovich...

lordofwar
Kurt Wimmer said that he wasnt pleased with the way "Gun Kata" was choreographed in Equilibrium and that its going to be shown the way he wanted it to be shown in Ultraviolet. So I'm assuming there's going to be some awesome action. He really knows how to make badass gun-fights.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Wow. I saw some awesome chase scenes in there.

I hope it Lives up to Equilibrium.

Christian Bale > Milla Jovovich.

Don't expect it to live up to "Equilibrium", otherwise you'll probably be sorely disappointed. That said, it does look pretty badass. Some "Equilibirum" staples there as well with the armored guards, all white suits, crosses, etc.

Eternal Turmoil
Interesting ... Equilibrium had quite an intense plot ... a bit too much of a headache - giver for me big grin

Yeah but vampires should be good ... but how come the creator always has to make it a vampire-like disease?Why can't they just be like ... vampires that haven't been infected by some sort of disease lol big grin

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Christian Bale > Milla Jovovich.

Don't expect it to live up to "Equilibrium", otherwise you'll probably be sorely disappointed. That said, it does look pretty badass. Some "Equilibirum" staples there as well with the armored guards, all white suits, crosses, etc.

I sure as hell know It won't be better than Equilibrium.

I can only hope it gives me the same feel. But Milla isn't one of my favorites actresses, and Bale is one of my favorite actors.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by TOH
It's Milla Jovovich...

LeeLoo?

Wow.
Doesn't even ahve the same face.. Wow.

DarkWizard
I've been so blinded by how cool this looks I forgot to move it to the Sci-fi section.

Ushgarak
For a moment there, I thought this was a spin-off from the tv series.

Looking at the plot... thankfully it is not. Because the tv series was one of the finest pieces of tv sci-fi ever made, and I wouldn't want that ruined.

MildPossession
You mean the British series, I still have that series to watch on dvd lol, missed it when shown on television.

LiL nAstY GirL
It looks good

Solo
No hope in this, because I know if I did I'd be sorely disappointed in the end.

b-dan
looks ok ill see it cuz i like sci-fi and MIlla shes so hott. But im sort of getting tired of thes sort of Matrix type action flicks Equillibrium is ok cuz it kicked ass

lordofwar
Well I liked Equilibrium more than Matrix

Darkman87
Yeah, it was good.

office jesus
Mmm. Milla. Anyway. Yeah. Equilibrium was good. Wasn't as good as the first Matrix film though. And GOD I'm going to see this movie. Breaking a sub-machine gun in half, THEN kicking ass with it? Hell yeah.

LiL nAstY GirL
I saw a commercial for it on tv...it looks so good

WrathfulDwarf
In the future a woman is trained to be a super soldier and kills a bunch of guards.....why does this remind me of Aeon Flux?

DarkWizard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
In the future a woman is trained to be a super soldier and kills a bunch of guards.....why does this remind me of Aeon Flux?

Because you're forgetting the fact that it is by Kurt Wimmer!!

office jesus
Haha. Aeon Flux was horrible. Anime to Live Action = Bad, BAD idea.

Solo
Originally posted by Solo
No hope in this, because I know if I did I'd be sorely disappointed in the end.
I take that back. This looks outrageously horrible. All of these movies that have been stealing the plot of "1984".

Can anyone say Equilibrium 2?

DarkWizard
Originally posted by Solo
Can anyone say Equilibrium 2?

What makes you say that?

Besides the fact that it takes place in the future,has William Fichtner and is by kurt wimmer?

Solo
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Besides the fact that it takes place in the future,has William Fichtner and is by kurt wimmer?
Supposed to be a joke?

DarkWizard
If you want it to be shifty

Darkman87
For Milla, I am ready to see everything already.

fruits
im not even gonna see this movie. it looks and sounds way too much like aeon flux. i mean seriously, is this like, the 5th or 6th movie with the same plot??? and to top it all off, the trailer uses a song from a matrix. not acceptable. not acceptable at all

merlin4421
Originally posted by fruits
im not even gonna see this movie. it looks and sounds way too much like aeon flux. i mean seriously, is this like, the 5th or 6th movie with the same plot??? and to top it all off, the trailer uses a song from a matrix. not acceptable. not acceptable at all

jeeez I sometimes wonder if peeps like the above person likes any movies at all. Totally trashing before anyone has even seen it. IMHO this movie looks great and I'll go see it for the main reason milla jovovich is in it. Wether it will be good or not lets just leave that till its actually out...sheesh.

lordofwar
This will be better than Aeon Flux. Kurt Wimmer is the MAN.

TheOne101
I dont know about you guys but it is just me or is this movie getting EXTREMELY over advertised. jesus i cant even change the channel without seeing another commercial for this movie. at first it was cool and all but it hasnt even come out yet and im already getting tired of it. GG sony for overadvertising. Advertise with commeercials and popups like its the internet apocalypse. Now i dont even want to go waste my 5 dollars to see the movie.

G a n n o n
It looks like Aeon Flux/Equilibrium.

TheOne101
yea exept Equilibirium was good. keyword, good. another keyword equilibirum.

T.M
Originally posted by TheOne101
I dont know about you guys but it is just me or is this movie getting EXTREMELY over advertised. jesus i cant even change the channel without seeing another commercial for this movie. at first it was cool and all but it hasnt even come out yet and im already getting tired of it. GG sony for overadvertising. Advertise with commeercials and popups like its the internet apocalypse. Now i dont even want to go waste my 5 dollars to see the movie.

I haven't seen any adverts on TV for it here..

I really like the look of this movie though IMO the trailer is very good and I will be watching it.

Shwartz
Originally posted by TheOne101

Definitely agree with you on this. I go on the internet and it's either advertised on a banner on the website I'm on, or it pops up on my tv when I am trying to enjoy my television show. I will still see it anyways ( because I won't be paying to see it ) and hopefully it won't suck. mad

ILoveMyDaniel
My friends Puppy, Squid, JJ, and Fat Kyle are going to see it tonight at the cinema. I've seen one commercial for it and it looks alright, but nothing "fantastic"

Shwartz
I just got done seeing it, and I thought that it was ok but they definitely pushed the movie for nothing. It wasn't "fantastic" at all. It reminded me of another aeon flux. You have to see it for yourself and get your own opinion of it.

redcaped
Not worth for theatre...I might rent it. It means I haven't see it.

super pr*xy
just saw this movie yesterday...

the story was totally predictable. you can smell the plot unfold from a mile away. can't compare this one to equilibrium. the acting was adequate. some of the lines are SO SO CHESSY. "it's on!" but the icing on this cake were the action sequences. they come often, though there were some dragging parts. some they did a shortcut on some, showing dead bodies all over but not showing the action (this happened about 3 or 4 times through out the movie, maybe a couple more). the chase scene was a bit confusing but awesome. there were some sequences reminiscent of the equilibrium, more specifically, the roof top and the shattering armors. good visuals. i would rate this movie a 7 out of 10.

WrathfulDwarf
I don't pay much attention to critics....but whoah! They've totally trashed this flick. What is up with these chick action flicks lately? First Aeon Flux then BloodRayne and now Ultraviolet. Is like they want to create their own Kill Bill and they fail miserably.

DarkWizard
It's getting absolutley trashed by IMDB. erm

I believed in you Kurt!!

TheOne101
I'm glad it's getting trashed, Atleast the ads are getting what they were out to get, Attention.

Phoenix_Avatar9
i think it shouldn't have been cut to 88 mins from the original 120, and it shouldve been released before Aeon Flux, there was too much comparing. Nonetheless, Milla is awesome

office jesus
..It was...'meh' worthy.

C-Dic
I got the "Ultraviolet" Unrated Extended Edition DVD from work tonight. All I can say is "wow".

Yes. Wow.

Wow, as in, "Wow, I've never been so turned off by the first 20 minutes of a movie in my entire life" kind of wow. This movie was so incredibly flawed and unwatchable, I'm ashamed to say I'm a Kurt Wimmer fan even for "Equilibrium".

My biggest gripes about "Ultraviolet" would be the non-sensical, rushed storyline, the bad CGI, the soft filter a la "Sky Captain", the forced bad-ass dialogue, the horrible delivery, and the stupid characters. Not only that, but the damn score changed for every 30 second "fight" sequence. So annoying.

If I gathered all that, knowing it would set the pace for the other 77 minutes, in only 20, that's the sign of a bad, bad movie. "Aeon Flux" wipes the ****ing floor with this one, and I thought "Aeon Flux" was a great movie to begin with, and now it looks like a million bucks in comparison to Wimmer's failure of Sci Fi.

Avoid it at any and all costs next Tuesday, folks.

T.M
I just watched this.. and C-Dic I agree with you.. the story and CGI were really very poor.. But I kind of expected that anyway.. (maybe not the shoddy CGI)

But I thought the action was OK really.. the characters were.. well dreadful really.. I think that if you just want a mindless action movie and don't really care about story.. or anything else that a movie should have.. erm then watch it just try not to pay for it...

If you want more from a movie.. then as C-Dic said.. Avoid this one.

Darth Vicious
This movie is garbage. I fell asleep watching it and I never fall asleep watching movies. The effects were ridiculous. The fighting was ok. Milla doesnt seem to make anything good (except RE 1). Anything she is in, sucks!

se_que?
so... do or don't see this movie???

British Lad
Originally posted by lordofwar

laughing

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by British Lad
laughing

big grin I actually liked her in the 5th element the first hour or so when she couldnt speak english. I did liked RE 1 but 2 was garbage.

Wolfie
I just watched this today. I didn't find it worse than any other mindless sci-fi action flick. The effects were cool, IMO, in an unrealistic way. The action was cool and there certainly was enough of it.

So I wouldn't call it unwatchable, but it wasn't anything special.

T.M
Originally posted by Wolfie
I just watched this today. I didn't find it worse than any other mindless sci-fi action flick. The effects were cool, IMO, in an unrealistic way. The action was cool and there certainly was enough of it.

So I wouldn't call it unwatchable, but it wasn't anything special.

Yeah I agree.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.