Was the best Era in the NBA in the 90's?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I think it was. Matter of fact, I know it was.

I don't even watch ball anymore.

Ever since Jordan left like i've had no interest in the NBA like that. Not anymore. Not like before, like the 90's

Dr. Strangelove
90's were very good but I would say the 80's. Bird and Magic revitalized a dying NBA to where it is today.

koolruningz
I'd say the 80's were better. The 90's were awesome and Jordan was god in that era, but the 80's had some incredible rivalries. The Lakers (Magic) vs The Celtics (Bird), The Celtics (Bird) vs The Pistons (Zeke) to name but a few. Also the Pistons used to dominate the Bulls in the playoffs and we saw the punishment Jordan had to endure before he won his first title in 91.
The Lakers Celtics finals were as great a matches as i've ever seen, Magic and Bird always brought their A game and would raise their games even higher when they played each other. The matchups were awesome DJ would guard Magic, Ainge would check B.Scott, Worthy would play Bird, McHale went against AC Green and Parish and Kareem would go at it. Thats the decade i first watching hoops when i lived in the UK and after watching Magic play in my first ever game i was a Laker fan for life. Its not a stretch to say Bird and Magic put the NBA back on the map and set things up for Jordan to take the game into unparalleled heights.
I also remember a great shoot out between Bird and Nique in the Conf Finals (i forget the year) which was just unbelievable.
Dont forget the great dunk contests of the 80's to, Jordan vs Nique, Spud Webb at 5'7 and Dr J passing the torch to Jordan.
I may be a touch biased in my answer considering thats the decade i discovered hoops but as great as the 90's were i still gotta go with the 80's. Someone older than me might go for a decade when Wilt was dominating or when Russel was collecting rings yearly. Good thread though.
thumb up

Pointinel
id say 90's cuz that's my decade

but

in retrospect, watching all these greatest games and reading all these old articles, i agree 80's is the best

Myth
80s were the best.

BobbyD
It's possible the 90s were the best, FON. Good, if not better arguments can be made for the 80s when it was virtually a 2 team race, until the Pistons made some noise. But, the best team in the history of the NBA played during the 90's.

koolruningz
Thats why the 80's were better imo. When the Bulls were in the finals in the 90's it was a forgone conclusion who would win. With the Lakers Celtics finals in the 80's either one could win.
Plus Jordan was so far ahead of everyone else there was never anyone he could match up with, in 92 he had Drexler which was a joke. Barkley in 93 which was an entertaining series but you knew the Bulls would take it. As for the finals when Jordan retired in the mid 90's - the less said about those the better. The Sonics and Jazz finals when Jordan came back were walkovers to.
Maybe im focusing too much on the finals here but in the end thats what you mainly remember from the season i think.

Myth
Favorite things of the 90s:
Blazers were decent the whole time but especially at the beginning and end of the decade
Reggie vs Jordan 98. Pacers were 2 minutes from winning in game 7 and choked. sad Probably my 1st or 2nd favorite series ever.

darth_royke
i suppose... but recently there has been no definate choice of a winner. look when teh pistons took the championship from teh 100%positive lakers? i think that made a lot of people realize just what the nba has to offer. i never got to experience the 80s, so i cant really say. i did experience the 90s, and they must have been good because it got me into the sport when no other sport had.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
90's were very good but I would say the 80's. Bird and Magic revitalized a dying NBA to where it is today.
well said. bird, magic, MJ, zeke, hakeem, barkley...those guys were awesome, better than the guys in the 90's.

tanjot
id say the 80s, not as much 1 on 1 competition with legendary rivalries in the 90s as the 80s.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.