How does violence in movies,televison, and games affect you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DEFCON One
just a general question: Do you think violence in video games cause violent behavior in real life, such as bullying or shootings?

i have to write a report on the issue, so i thought i would ask everyones opinions

Draco69
It may 'inspire' acts to do violence. It depends on the mentality of the individual. You can get causation to do violent actions from pretty much any media item. Such as books. God knows how many violent actions were committed because of books.

dave123
I think anyone too stupid to distingiuish between real life and a video game are too unstable to be "safe" and unviolent anyway....

Personally, shooting the hell out of things in a video game is a great way to relieve stress, rather than going out and vandalising stick out tongue

WindDancer
Can't compare pixels to people. If you think they are the same go consult a psychologist.....or something.

PVS
its ridiculous to blame video games or any form of detached entertainment for violence. by 'detached' i mean that no role models are involved, simply a fictional character(s) in a fictional world. if i had a kid, i would rather them commit a holocaust on GTA than sit and watch MTV looking up to puff daddy saying "i wanna be a gangsta like him cause he gets da fly bitches"

nothing about a video game such as this says "you should do this" as opposed to tolerated programming such as that of MTV which dictates what will be the next trend...and for some reason that trend seems to include all men being gun toting, foul mouthed materialistic man whores...where girls are taught to be stupid spoiled f*** toys.

its just hstory repeating itself over and over i was a metalhead back in the 80's and i remember music being blamed for suicide. it was absolute bullshit and the man who led the charge on artists like ozzy and rob halford from judas priest finally admitted he was wrong. happy ending right? wrong

you see, today there is a mainstream tv culture that really IS teaching kids to be ****ups and nobody does a damn thing...WHY?? why is snoop dogg, a member of the cryps, who first made a name for himself dealing crack...a rolemodel for children? i got nothing personal against the guy, he probably just did what he had to do to survive in his environment...but should he be a role model for children? well, whether or not he should be...he is.

the point is i think if your seeking to thwart forms of entertainment which are bad for kids, people bark up the wrong tree...video games have been violent since i was a kid, and there was never a 'message' to go out and do anything besides spend more quarters and keep playing.

BackFire
"Do you think violence in video games cause violent behavior in real life, such as bullying or shootings?"

No. Anyone who says differently is looking for an easy target to blame.

Echuu
Originally posted by dave123
I think anyone too stupid to distingiuish between real life and a video game are too unstable to be "safe" and unviolent anyway....

Personally, shooting the hell out of things in a video game is a great way to relieve stress, rather than going out and vandalising stick out tongue

it is a great way to relieve stress; i play video games a lot

we just have to make sure people can distinguish video games from real life

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by PVS
its ridiculous to blame video games or any form of detached entertainment for violence. by 'detached' i mean that no role models are involved, simply a fictional character(s) in a fictional world. if i had a kid, i would rather them commit a holocaust on GTA than sit and watch MTV looking up to puff daddy saying "i wanna be a gangsta like him cause he gets da fly bitches"

nothing about a video game such as this says "you should do this" as opposed to tolerated programming such as that of MTV which dictates what will be the next trend...and for some reason that trend seems to include all men being gun toting, foul mouthed materialistic man whores...where girls are taught to be stupid spoiled f*** toys.

its just hstory repeating itself over and over i was a metalhead back in the 80's and i remember music being blamed for suicide. it was absolute bullshit and the man who led the charge on artists like ozzy and rob halford from judas priest finally admitted he was wrong. happy ending right? wrong

you see, today there is a mainstream tv culture that really IS teaching kids to be ****ups and nobody does a damn thing...WHY?? why is snoop dogg, a member of the cryps, who first made a name for himself dealing crack...a rolemodel for children? i got nothing personal against the guy, he probably just did what he had to do to survive in his environment...but should he be a role model for children? well, whether or not he should be...he is.

the point is i think if your seeking to thwart forms of entertainment which are bad for kids, people bark up the wrong tree...video games have been violent since i was a kid, and there was never a 'message' to go out and do anything besides spend more quarters and keep playing.

beautifull

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by WindDancer
Can't compare pixels to people. If you think they are the same go consult a psychologist.....or something.

aye exactly!

shooting people up in a game like UT2k4 is great when your having a bad day/hard time.

if you take that into real life something is wrong with you.

manny321
GTA San andres is a fun game, but i have not gone committing any crimes or breaking rules. Its pure bullshit. Music you can sort of blame but not virtual reality.

WindDancer
Originally posted by ChickinMeat
aye exactly!

shooting people up in a game like UT2k4 is great when your having a bad day/hard time.

if you take that into real life something is wrong with you.

Absolutely! Video Games are a hobby that helps us have fun. Nothing relax me more than a simple FPS game. wink

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by manny321
GTA San andres is a fun game, but i have not gone committing any crimes or breaking rules. Its pure bullshit. Music you can sort of blame but not virtual reality.

If you can blame music then you can blame video games. Just saying if you could.

Linkalicious
People didn't learn to shoot cops, steal cars, or vandalize property from video games.

Video games learned them from real life.

ChickinMeat
i never thought of it that way, thats a real good way to look at it!

FeceMan
Originally posted by DEFCON One
just a general question: Do you think violence in video games cause violent behavior in real life, such as bullying or shootings?

i have to write a report on the issue, so i thought i would ask everyones opinions
Yes, it does. Behavioral psychology has proven this through observational learning.

HOWEVER...

Young minds are much more impressionable than older minds. Teenagers are not going to pull out a gun and start blasting people because they saw it on DOOM 3. Desensitization may aid this act, though, but to blame the videogame is to relieve responsibility from the shoulders of the parents. If a child were to play a violent videogame, he or she would be more likely to imitate the acts in the videogame...

But I'm not blaming videogames at all, just saying what behavioral psychologists would say.

SlipknoT
I hate people who think this, they should all be shot.

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by FeceMan
but to blame the videogame is to relieve responsibility from the shoulders of the parents.

exactly, a parent shoudnt let a young kid play Doom3 anyway, or any game like that.

Echuu
yeah; GTA titles are supposed to be 17 and up but youngins get their hands on them anyway...

like me roll eyes (sarcastic) but im not stupid enough to go blastin people in real life

bilb
Ok, guess I'll be the voice of dissent here.. I HATE violent video games. I do not allow any games in my house. I know this isnt the popular opinion but thats the way it is I guess. Especially games like GTA.. all the cursing, violence, disrepect for women & authorities? How on earth can you defend this stuff with a straight face? Yes its on TV too, but the plot is out of your control. In the games the more horrendous you act the better score you get. And this is not an unreasonable position. In my lifetime I have already seen games evolve from Pong to GTA, so its quite likely I'd even say probable that they will evolve to being more sophisticated. Virtual reality & beyond. How do you help kids draw the line after they have seen all that and been rewarded for it? Yes I know that GTA is SUPPOSED to be for 17 & over, but everyone here prolly knows some 8 year old who is already a whiz at it. So that argument holds no water. ANd yes their parents shoudl be responsible for them, but when one of those kids has a gun pointed at you & doesnt think twice about it because he's been playing GTA for 10 years, are you gonna go cuss out his mom or (if you live) are you gonna b!tch & moan that society has gone down the toilet? You better take responibilty NOW or pay the consequences later.,...

Adam_PoE
If a child is placed in front of the television to watch an educational program such as Sesame Street, it is expected that he will learn the alphabet and how to count to ten.

So why is it that when a child is placed in front of the television and allowed to play a violent video game such as Grand Theft Auto that the expectation is somehow different?

dave123
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
If a child is placed in front of the television to watch an educational program such as Sesame Street, it is expected that he will learn the alphabet and how to count to ten.

So why is it that when a child is placed in front of the television and allowed to play a violent video game such as Grand Theft Auto that the expectation is somehow different? Sesame street aims to educate.... it intentionally goes over and over the alphabet and numbers with a fun tune to make you remember eek!

GTA, however, doesn't say "Take the clip and insert it into the gun like so...." stick out tongue

Imaginary
I agree with the earlier posts, if people can't distinguish between real life and a video game then they shouldn't be playing.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by dave123
Sesame street aims to educate.... it intentionally goes over and over the alphabet and numbers with a fun tune to make you remember eek!

GTA, however, doesn't say "Take the clip and insert it into the gun like so...." stick out tongue

Interaction is just as an effective learning tool as repetition.

manny321
kids that are 14-15 year olds (most kids who play GTA) should known the difference between real life and fiction. GTA is a violent game and when i play i usually at all cost avoid shooting cops. I just doesn't feel right,

PVS
Originally posted by bilb
...but when one of those kids has a gun pointed at you & doesnt think twice about it because he's been playing GTA for 10 years, are you gonna go cuss out his mom or (if you live) are you gonna b!tch & moan that society has gone down the toilet?

bilb, dont take this the wrong way, 'cause you know i love ya, but that is just horseshit.

you imply that video games erode one's sense of morality to the point where they would kill another human being. thats ridiculous. may as well blame ozzy.

Alpha Centauri
Violence in games is too good.

You haven't felt satisfaction till you've blown a person's head to smitherines on Resident Evil, or broke someone's neck in Metal Gear Solid.

When you let your negative emotions and repressed feelings out by SIMULATING a horrific act in a video game, you've satisfied your bad lust and as a result, don't need to go do it for real. If I'm feeling angry, I go hit my punch bag or listen to certain music. Gets it all out of me so that I can go about my day and not have the reactions bite people.

Why is it WRONG to shoot cops in GTA Manny? If you go out and get an unjust speeding ticket, come home pissed off and shoot the hell out of the entire GTA police force, it does give satisfaction. It's also better than doing it to the real police.

Anyone that blames a video game for their actions are idiots. If you drive over a prostitute in GTA, shoot a man in Resident Evil or stab someone in MGS, then go and act it out. You're a moron.

-AC

Cosmic_Beings
No, it's the same as violence in books.

Lana
Violence in video games does not cause real life violence. Violence has been around a loooot longer than video games have...

Personally, doing things like going on a killing spree in GTA is a very good way of calming me down when I'm in a bad mood. Better to take out my anger on a few pixels, right?

Adam_PoE
I believe that mature video games are a valid form of entertainment... for adults. People under the age of 17 are not admitted to or allowed to rent rated-R films. Likewise, people under the age of 17 should not be allowed to purchase or rent mature-rated video games.

Lydia_J
I think they would influence young children as they would not understand the difference very well, but as they get older then it is only the people who are already going to be violent that will act out what they have seen.

bilb
Originally posted by PVS
bilb, dont take this the wrong way, 'cause you know i love ya, but that is just horseshit.

you imply that video games erode one's sense of morality to the point where they would kill another human being. thats ridiculous. may as well blame ozzy.

I was gonna take bets on how long it would take you to quote me on this one!! & I love ya lots too, but thats EXACTLY what I think. Desensitization to violence can only lead to worse crime IMHO.. And it may seem hypocritical but I DONT think music should be blamed. Thats just me, I never claimed to be logical! stick out tongue

yerssot
Originally posted by Imaginary
I agree with the earlier posts, if people can't distinguish between real life and a video game then they shouldn't be playing.
that's exactly what I think too ... dude stick out tongue

I play violant games practicly everytime I...well... play a game, still I'm being told by friends that I'm extremely hard to upset and that they can't see me using violance

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by bilb
but I DONT think music should be blamed.

I feel it depends on the music, the popularity of gangster rap i reckon has a big thing to do with

people rapping about hoes, money and drive-by's is sure to have an affect on someone.

and to back up GTA, even though i dont really like playing it, is that the people in it dont even look real, so that helps to seperate it from real life.

right ill shut up.

BackFire
I believe that mature video games are a valid form of entertainment... for adults. People under the age of 17 are not admitted to or allowed to rent rated-R films. Likewise, people under the age of 17 should not be allowed to purchase or rent mature-rated video games.

They aren't allowed.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by ChickinMeat
people rapping about hoes, money and drive-by's is sure to have an affect on someone.

Has an effect on me. When I heard the new 50 Cent song, couldn't get off the floor for a while.

-AC

BackFire
The only person rap makes me want to kill is myself, too end the agony.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by BackFire
They aren't allowed.

That is not entirely true. It is unlawful to rent a rated-R film to a minor but game ratings are only a suggestion.

BackFire
When I used to work at blockbuster we were not allowed to rent a M rated game to anyone who wasn't over 17 years old. We could get fined or sued if we did. It's the same for most stores in the country, they can get in major trouble if they sell or rent to children under the games age cap.

In california a law was (or is in the process) of being passed that would actually make it a criminal act to sell a game to an underage child. As it is now, they can't be convicted of a crime, but all stores still don't allow children to buy games if they are under the age limit.

SlipknoT
They aren't allowed. But still do.

Adam_PoE
When I used to work at blockbuster we were not allowed to rent a M rated game to anyone who wasn't over 17 years old. We could get fined or sued if we did. It's the same for most stores in the country, they can get in major trouble if they sell or rent to children under the games age cap.

In california a law was (or is in the process) of being passed that would actually make it a criminal act to sell a game to an underage child. As it is now, they can't be convicted of a crime, but all stores still don't allow children to buy games if they are under the age limit.

Laws regulating the sale or rental of mature video games to minors vary by state. I live in Illinois and work for the third largest video rental chain in the country, and there is no penalty for renting mature games to minors here.

BackFire
So you guys can rent Grand Theft Auto to a 6 year old without repercussions of any sort?

Adam_PoE
So you guys can rent Grand Theft Auto to a 6 year old without repercussions of any sort?

Yes. In fact, we get more problems from adult customers for not allowing their minor-aged children to rent mature rated games.

BackFire
Wow.

What chain is it you work at? If you don't mind me asking. I've never heard of a chain of stores totally negating their own responsibility in the matter, very interesting.

Adam_PoE
Wow.

What chain is it you work at? If you don't mind me asking. I've never heard of a chain of stores totally negating their own responsibility in the matter, very interesting.

Family Video Movie Club, Incorporated. The corporate office of the company is in Springfield, IL. The rental chain is number three, behind Hollywood Video (number 2), and Blockbuster (number 1). As I stated previously, there is no law in the state of Illinois regulating the rental of mature-rated games to minors. In the absence of such a law, video game ratings only serve as a suggestion to consumers about who should be allowed to rent or purchase them.

Napalm
Video games are good its better to shoot a fake human than a real one

Napalm

It dosnt stop them I used to put an r rated movie into a PG rated box when I was underage so I could rent um

blalocklover
Here anyone can buy GTA3 for .... (well I would be an idiot if I said that)

Let's move to another example. When I was 20 i discovered HITMAN and I enjoyed it. But what about a game which only purpose is to find out how many ways we have for killing someone, a game where you can make a bloodbath of civilians an nobody cares. I enjoyed some things but the whole concept is kinda wrong for a teen.

I don't like people who blame videogames because (as it was already said) is too easy, it more accurate to blame families or ambient.

Another issue, when we talk about violence, we talk about huge numbers, I mean, millions of guys exposed and a tiny fraction is affected BUT THIS TINY FRACTION COULD MAKE AWFUL THINGS. How we can control or fix this, i have no idea.

PS: hitman 2 penalizes civilians causalities but due the fact a perfect mark is quite easy the immediate thing everybody tries is a bloodbath.

Red Superfly
Parents like to blame anyone but themselves.

The parent is the last line of defense. The parent has a responsiblity.

Yeah, people blame peers and school life for influencing children away from home - thats rubbish for a start. Despite the pressure at school, I was always thinking of what my parents would do to me if I did do something bad. My parents made me take my sensibilities into school and use them. Bad parents are switched off by the child when they get to school, and thats how they become so easily influenced. A good parent sends their kid to school and out with their friends, and the kid never loses that responsibility.

I'm so sick of lazy parents looking for scapegoats all the time. If your kid is an axe wielding murderer, its your damn fault.

This applies to videogames. The discerning parent would take one look at the box, notice the several hundred warnings about explicit violence and judge accordingly.

I think a big problem is the attitude the majority of parents have of videogames in general. They think they are still kids toys, something for little timmy to waste his time with.

Parents should REALLY not ask the question of "how did this filth get released?" - but rather "how did this filth end up on my coffee table".

There's something about parents these days which just screams laziness, especially parents in their mid teens. That's a big problem really, most people are selfish morons who want a family but don't have any idea or the sense of commitment to actually do a good job.

Alpha Centauri
Exactly right.

It happened with WWE a few years back. It's a scripted show with choreographed fights (although by no means "fake"wink and parents take that for granted.

WWE have warnings before their shows: "Some scenes may not be suitable for younger children and contain violence".

Parents: Oh it's just wrestling. How bad can it be?

Right there^^^. When you take that attitude it's your fault. One parent did and their little boy went and broke some girl's neck in the playground the next day. She sued WWE when it was her responsibility to heed the warning.

-AC

Loving_Daniel11
I just wrote a paper over this subject at school a few weeks ago. It has nothing to do with the games its all the parents.

Red Superfly
Yeah AC that's happened a lot, especially recently with the whole backyard wrestling phenomenon.

There's a clue right there. Kids are doing these things in their backyard. At HOME. It's obviously a case of the parent not caring at all.

I also blame this whole compensation culture we are stuck in. A parent can absolve themselves of most simple responsibilities because there's usually some way that they can avert their responsibilities, and when something goes wrong, they can safely sit back and point the finger elsewhere. I'm sick of it. Selfish, irresponsible parents.

When I was at school, all the bad kids had crap parents. They wouldn't show up for teacher meetings, or express any sort of interest in their child. Simple as that, really.

Now, obviously there are kids who, no matter how good ajob the parents THINK they did, turn into bad apples. I still blame the parents. An important part of a persons life is the first few years, where it learns its basic moral principles. Those first few years are 100% parenting. They sew the seeds of what is to come later.

Then again, some kids can be badly manipulated into commiting violent acts. Again, I think their susceptablity and will to say "no" comes from their parents imprint on their personality.

DarkAge
I agree with Superfly completely. I too wrote a paper on this and if I can find it I'll post it.

Alpha Centauri
Well, you reach a certain age and it's clear what's right, wrong, immoral and moral.

I know a girl who's mother was a little "loose" to put it mildly. She was the same. I believe once you hit your teens there should already be some kind of mentality there. Home influences the child but the girl I knew could have made the "Wow. I'm not gonna be like my mum and open my legs to every Harry Hardon that comes my way, I'm gonna make something of myself" choice. She didn't. That's not the parents direct fault coz she could have changed it.

However I agree on most of what you said, parents just point the finger and blame everyone else.

-AC

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Napalm
It dosnt stop them I used to put an r rated movie into a PG rated box when I was underage so I could rent um laughing

WindDancer
Well, well...well looks like the ***** is finally showing her true colors:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/599/599796p1.html

Riiiiiight, she was never a friggin conservative roll eyes (sarcastic)

Another reason why I can't stand this woman.

Afro Cheese
"She cites Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto as as a "major threat" to morality in America."

Ahhh shit.

WindDancer
$90 million dollars down the drain.

Adam_PoE
I believe that violent video games are a valid form of adult entertainment. However, research by the American Psychological Association indicates a measureable increase in aggressive behvior in children who play violent video games.

WindDancer
So if the American Psychological Association indicates that video games increase the amount of violence on children....then those children in Europe, Asia, and Canada could be also becoming very violent all because they play a video game like GTA? Does the APA speaks for the rest of the world? No? Or maybe is just us Yanks who are always looking to blame game designers for making violent entertaining fun games?

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by WindDancer
So if the American Psychological Association indicates that video games increase the amount of violence on children....then those children in Europe, Asia, and Canada could be also becoming very violent all because they play a video game like GTA? Does the APA speaks for the rest of the world? No? Or maybe is just us Yanks who are always looking to blame game designers for making violent entertaining fun games?

No, it indicates a measurable increase in aggressive behavior among these children. I suspect that these results would be consistent for most children regardless of national origin.

BackFire
I believe that violent video games are a valid form of adult entertainment. However, research by the American Psychological Association indicates a measureable increase in aggressive behvior in children who play violent video games.

How old are these "children" they're testing?

Afro Cheese
If a parent thinks the game is gonna hurt their kid then they shouldn't let their kid get the game. No need to ruin it for everyone. Blaming video games or movies or rap music for kid's behavior is really getting old.

pr1983

i wouldnt be surprised if this was during the video game... they sit little johnny down with GTA, he plays the game and commits acts ingame that would be considered aggressive outside it (stealing, killing, and so forth), then they label him aggressive even though he doesnt do those things outside of GTA...

typical bullshit, trying to blame video games for the evils of the world...

FeceMan
^ No, Adam is correct...as I said earlier.

BackFire
Plus it's completely dependent on each individual kid.

When I was a kid, MK and Doom were both at the height of their popularity, all my friends at the time played them, myself included, and, none of them were aggressive in any way. In fact, the most aggressive people were those who didn't play any video games, the kids who skated and all that shit.

"studies" like this have no validity for the most part, because as pr1983 shows, we don't know the details of what they are referencing when it comes to "aggressive" behavior. The kid was playing the game, trying to complete an objective, failed, got mad and threw the controller down on the ground and said "damn it". Then the doctor takes this as "aggressive behavior caused by violent video games", when in reality it's simply caused from the same frusturation that could be caused in ANY video game, violent or not.

The ONLY kids who are actually affected by video games are those who are too young to realize that what they're seeing is not real, and think that they should mimic what they see on the game. In this case, it's naive and idiotic to blame the game for this, since it would be entirely the parents fault for allowing a child to play such a game. Also, kids who have prior mental problems are more apt to be affected by the game, but again, this is a fault of the parents, and no one else.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by pr1983
i wouldnt be surprised if this was during the video game... they sit little johnny down with GTA, he plays the game and commits acts ingame that would be considered aggressive outside it (stealing, killing, and so forth), then they label him aggressive even though he doesnt do those things outside of GTA...

typical bullshit, trying to blame video games for the evils of the world...

A research review done by NCTV found that 9 of 12 research studies on the impact of violent video games on normal children and adolescents reported harmful effects. In general, while video game playing has not been implicated as a direct cause of severe psycho-pathology, research suggests that there is a short-term relationship between playing violent games and increased aggressive behavior in younger children.

pr1983
A research review done by NCTV found that 9 of 12 research studies on the impact of violent video games on normal children and adolescents reported harmful effects. In general, while video game playing has not been implicated as a direct cause of severe psycho-pathology, research suggests that there is a short-term relationship between playing violent games and increased aggressive behavior in younger children.

and they didnt consider that these children might have aggressive tendencies already?

and im still curious (like backfire) as to the age of these children...

who died and made you king decreeing whats right and wrong?

Alpha Centauri
If you think your child is going to be easily influenced by video games you have two choices:

A) Let them play the game while emphasising that it's never to be recreated outside of the game.

or

B) Not let them play it.

Grand Theft Auto can't cause a kid to go nuts if it's sitting on the shelf in a store.

-AC

BackFire
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
If you think your child is going to be easily influenced by video games you have two choices:

A) Let them play the game while emphasising that it's never to be recreated outside of the game.

or

B) Not let them play it.

Grand Theft Auto can't cause a kid to go nuts if it's sitting on the shelf in a store.

-AC

Oh, don't speak so soon, I'm sure they'll find a way, and they'll also have invalid studies to back up their blames.

"According too (enter generic phsycological orginization abreviation here) Looking at the box of GTA has been shown to cause increased aggressive behavior in children"

FeceMan
Since it is a fact, there is no morality attached to it. Unless, of course, you are speaking in terms of correct-incorrect, in which case it is a fact, so it can't not be correct.

pr1983
yeah... "mom if you don't buy me that game i'll kill you..."

what fact? that some mickey mouse study was carried out in a vain attempt to shift the blame onto easy targets?

SlipknoT
Since it is a fact Far from it...

BackFire
Since it is a fact, there is no morality attached to it. Unless, of course, you are speaking in terms of correct-incorrect, in which case it is a fact, so it can't not be correct.

It is not a fact. There are numerous other orginizations that have done similar studies that show that there is no noticable difference between children who play violent video games and those who don't.

FeceMan
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Far from it...
What the hell? Go use your head as a douche since it IS a fact.

pr1983
What the hell? Go use your head as a douche since it IS a fact.

apparently only to you...

SlipknoT
What the hell? Go use your head as a douche since it IS a fact. Wow, I never though an argument on an Internet message board would effect someone this deeply

Alpha Centauri
It's only a fact when it's undeniable.

Guess what?

-AC

BackFire
http://culturalpolicy.uchicago.edu/conf2001/papers/goldstein.html

Solid article seeing how accurate and credible some of these "studies" actually are.

Be warned, this uses logic, reason and practicallity, rather then "this shows that according to these guys, that's all you need to know". So Feceman, you won't like it.

FeceMan
Umm...it's a fact because it has been proven in experiments? I'm not saying it is an excuse; I'm just saying that children imitate behavior to which they are exposed. (Read: children. Not adults.)

EDIT: I'm not talking about just videogames; I'm talking about all forms of observational learning. Hooray, a psychology term was used today.

pr1983
Umm...it's a fact because it has been proven in experiments? I'm not saying it is an excuse; I'm just saying that children imitate behavior to which they are exposed. (Read: children. Not adults.)

yes.. children, as in six year olds... what idiot would subject a six year old to a mature rated game... or movie for that matter...

BackFire

Again, there are also experiments that have "proven" otherwise. As AC said, it's not a fact untill it's undeniable, this is deniable for numerous reasons, thus, it is not fact.

FeceMan
Originally posted by pr1983
yes.. children, as in six year olds... what idiot would subject a six year old to a mature rated game... or movie for that matter...
I never said it caused violence in teenagers like Columbine. And there are some parents out there who would do that.

BackFire
As I said, the only children it does affect are those who don't know that a videogame isn't meant to be taken seriously and don't know that they shouldn't attempt actions because a video game did those same actions.

The studies that are being discussed are talking about teens and older kids, not 4 year olds.

Afro Cheese
And there are some parents out there who would do that. But these are the type of parents who's kids are pretty much doomed with or without violent video games.

pr1983
I never said it caused violence in teenagers like Columbine. And there are some parents out there who would do that.

parents... so the blame is with the parents... not the game...

As I said, the only children it does affect are those who don't know that a videogame isn't meant to be taken seriously and don't know that they shouldn't attempt actions because a video game did those same actions.

The studies that are being discussed are talking about teens and older kids, not 4 year olds.

true...

FeceMan
Yes, it does. Behavioral psychology has proven this through observational learning.

HOWEVER...

Young minds are much more impressionable than older minds. Teenagers are not going to pull out a gun and start blasting people because they saw it on DOOM 3. Desensitization may aid this act, though, but to blame the videogame is to relieve responsibility from the shoulders of the parents. If a child were to play a violent videogame, he or she would be more likely to imitate the acts in the videogame...

But I'm not blaming videogames at all, just saying what behavioral psychologists would say.
Quoting because people seem to be misinterpreting what I am saying.

Also, I think that Manhunt is WAY over the top in violence/gore, bordering on sadomasochistic voyeurism...blech. Just a thought that occurred to me.

pr1983
Quoting because people seem to be misinterpreting what I am saying.

Also, I think that Manhunt is WAY over the top in violence/gore, bordering on sadomasochistic voyeurism...blech. Just a thought that occurred to me.

i understood you perfectly...

Behavioral Psychology can be disputed very easily... because every test subject is different...

and as for manhunt... i've seen a lot worse in movies... it was overhyped big time...

Alpha Centauri
What exactly do you want? You don't want kids to do that stuff in real life, you don't want em to do it in games. I'm curious as to what it is you're trying to achieve here.

Mental patients could play a game then go and reenact it. It's not just kids. There was a guy in Singapore who strolled into a movie theatre and froze 3 people with liquid nitrogen because he thought he was Sub-Zero, back when Mortal Kombat came out. A Man. Not a kid.

I'd rather have it happening in games than in the street and if it happens in the street as a result of an influenced gamer, it's not the games fault. It's the guy's.

It might be a fact that the kids studied were influenced. It's not a fact that kids who play games are influenced.

-AC

speiderman
too much videogaming is not going to harm a kid. However it is the parent's responsibility to sit down with the kid and explain that behaviors in a game or a movie if acted out would either be morally wrong or result in being arrested. The kid should be taught right from wrong.

FeceMan
What exactly do you want? You don't want kids to do that stuff in real life, you don't want em to do it in games. I'm curious as to what it is you're trying to achieve here.

Mental patients could play a game then go and reenact it. It's not just kids. There was a guy in Singapore who strolled into a movie theatre and froze 3 people with liquid nitrogen because he thought he was Sub-Zero, back when Mortal Kombat came out. A Man. Not a kid.

I'd rather have it happening in games than in the street and if it happens in the street as a result of an influenced gamer, it's not the games fault. It's the guy's.

It might be a fact that the kids studied were influenced. It's not a fact that kids who play games are influenced.

-AC
The guy obviously had some form of mental disorder, probably schizophrenia.

Kids are influenced by observational learning, and I'm saying that they were influenced by watching other people in real life do things (as well as on the television). Young minds are impressionable and they will be influenced by what they have seen. It doesn't mean that they are going to act out or display aggressive behavior; it could be as minor as mild desensitization, or something even less.

AC, I don't WANT anything. Like I said, you guys are misreading my posts. I have stated information about observational learning. I have never said that violence should be removed from videogames. Not once. I am not attempting to achieve anything aside from stating my opinion and giving information about behavioral studies.

Alpha Centauri
So your point is that kids are impressionable?

Great...so that's what we've been saying all along then. Parents need to be responsible or more assertive. Either let your kid know that it's not to be repeated or reenacted, or not letting them have it.

-AC

BackFire
"Not once. I am not attempting to achieve anything aside from stating my opinion and giving information about behavioral studies."

Let us not forget about you applying the term "Fact" where it doesn't belong to give yourself credibility.

Again, YOUNG kids are influenced by observational learning, like 5 year olds. Of course those kids who are ridiculously underage are more likely to be influenced, the topic of discussion is about older kids and teens. This is what's being disputed, teens and older kids being influenced by video games, not toddlers wno don't know any better.

R0B
Only dumbasses take games seriously and decide to jack a car or shoot somebody because of something they did or said. It seems quite obviouse that they have mental issues along side with personal problems or something along the sort. One guy tryed to sue the rockstar company and made this comment. " its not my fault, the guy off of Grand Theft Auto did that so that influenced me to do it " I mean how stupid can you get? Unless your a dumbass then violence in video games for entertainment should not be an issue.

Adam_PoE

AnImE_ChAoS
i would like to add. i am a gamer, a major gamer, i play a range of violet and well adult games under age limit, whoopy do? i aint a bully, i aint killing people or hurting others, only myself blink im a clumbsy ****er but heh. i played violent games when i was little for gods sake, and the worst that happened to me was my style and taste in music and people o.O from the age of 5 i think ive had violent games and well i aint no god darn drug addict and murding rapist or anything. dude, if people follow a GAME pixels of grafic design and ideas slapped together and think its real they need a ****ing theropist. if at most, games influenced me to take a career in grafics design and game creaton. not become a drug overlord, murder, undercover agent, a zombie hunter or dragon slayer ya'know? o.O.

hope that helped some how huh

AC. x

FeceMan
Except I did no such thing--I do not BS things to get lend myself credibility.

Just stating both sides of the issue.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by AnImE_ChAoS
i would like to add. i am a gamer, a major gamer, i play a range of violet and well adult games under age limit, whoopy do? i aint a bully, i aint killing people or hurting others, only myself blink im a clumbsy ****er but heh. i played violent games when i was little for gods sake, and the worst that happened to me was my style and taste in music and people o.O from the age of 5 i think ive had violent games and well i aint no god darn drug addict and murding rapist or anything. dude, if people follow a GAME pixels of grafic design and ideas slapped together and think its real they need a ****ing theropist. if at most, games influenced me to take a career in grafics design and game creaton. not become a drug overlord, murder, undercover agent, a zombie hunter or dragon slayer ya'know? o.O.

hope that helped some how huh

AC. x

There's a lawsuit coming your way. Use of copyrighted material.

-AC

Julie
There is a difference between senseless/tasteless and realistic or necessary violence to make a game enjoyable

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by Julie
There is a difference between senseless/tasteless and realistic or necessary violence to make a game enjoyable

I think a good example of this would be the 2 new Prince Of Persia Games.

'Sands Of Time' was all magical fairytale like, and the enemies were made of sand, so when you stabbed them, they burst into sand instead of bleeding blood everywhere. This gave the violence a more rewardingly visceral feel, rather than resulting to gore.

'Warrior Within' was the 2nd game, and they changed the atmosphere of the game entirely, the enemies were still made of sand (i do not know why due to story reasons), but when you killed them they erpted blood from every orifice, making it un-necesarily violent compared to Sands Of Time.

I still absolutly adore both games though, and would still call you weird if you went stabbing people due to warrior within, i just felt i should give an example to Julie's point.

yerssot
it depends how you look at it, CM... you can also say that because in SOT there is no blood, some nuts would not realise the horror they can create when killing others because of the unrealistic approach there

but y'know, all in all... I think games have absolutely nothing to do with those killings, it's that they aren't mentaly stable enough to handle reality

AnImE_ChAoS
There's a lawsuit coming your way. Use of copyrighted material.

-AC

Pardon? huh

ragesRemorse
video games do have a major contribution to crime

pr1983
Originally posted by AnImE_ChAoS
Pardon? huh

the AC...

AnImE_ChAoS
ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!! XD sorry i appologise i am on a rather dim day today. had alot on my mind lol. its ok, sorry for using AC the person that was claiming it was theres huh im making a new thingy any-ho. i will stop using it for now eh?

x

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by yerssot
it depends how you look at it, CM... you can also say that because in SOT there is no blood, some nuts would not realise the horror they can create when killing others because of the unrealistic approach there

good point, i never thought of that side of the coin!

DEFCON One
i doubt a kid is gonna shoot someone because a game had too little blood

ChickinMeat
I bet alot of these fat cats who want to ban/restrict videogames and crap have never even played them.

RedAlertv2
I read more into the subject. Supposedly games make us think like murderers.

Fishy
Yes and the news does nothing like that?

And how about all those murders commited by people that don't play videogames? and before TV and shit like that was even invented... Personally i think that the entire argument, of something like that causing people to kill is absolute bullshit.

Fire
I just had to project for uni ppl who want decent sites let me know.

RedAlertv2
if you look back through the years....

First, it was said comic books made kids violent
Then, when internet came around, ppl said it made children violent and perverted
Now, with video games, comes a new wave of hatred from adults

People love having something to blame when their kids act up. They refuse to admit it is their faults

Punker69
Tell! And give good answers too.

K.Diddy
It doesn't no expression

Tptmanno1
Nope,
Give me an adreniline rush if done well, but thats it.

Darth Jello
blood on television=3 parts corn syrup, 1 part food coloring

Eis
Please use the search function before opening a thread.

Violence in video games

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Eis
Please use the search function before opening a thread.

Violence in video games

Sorry Raz.....................I mean..........Eis laughing

BackFire
already a thread.

Punker69
Please vote!

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by DEFCON One

it has no affect whatsoever on me. it is just fantasy, thats all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.