"God is Mad at America" says New Orleans Major

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
did you guys hear what mayor Nagin of New Orleans said about the hurricanes? that god was mad at mankind and that soon new orleans will be a chocolate city again? has he completely lost it?

Darth Jello
according to jon stewart's analysis, god doesn't hate gay people, he hates the gay adjacent

Kella
New Orleans never was a chocolate city...it was a booze and barf city. Oh..and let's not forget public urinating and sex...that's always fun.

Silly Mayor...all that dirty water got to his head.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Rogue Jedi
the guy is a frigging idiot. he said god was mad at us for beibg in iraq. he said god was mad at black people for killing each other off. this is not how god works. he is a vengeful god, but not a spiteful god.

Darth Jello
whats about beads and ****?

K.Diddy
I love choclate eek!

JONNY
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
the guy is a frigging idiot. he said god was mad at us for beibg in iraq. he said god was mad at black people for killing each other off. this is not how god works. he is a vengeful god, but not a spiteful god. Frigging isn't a word. Your entire statement is now invalidated.

debbiejo
Chocolate...mmmm pretty bad.....Everyone should just move away from there anyway.

Draco69
News Article From The Associated Press:

NEW ORLEANS (Jan. 17) - Mayor Ray Nagin suggested Monday that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and other storms were a sign that "God is mad at America" and at black communities, too, for tearing themselves apart with violence and political infighting.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin, who is black, said as he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans - the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

Nagin described an imaginary conversation with King, the late civil rights leader.

"I said, `What is it going to take for us to move on and live your dream and make it a reality?' He said, `I don't think that we need to pay attention any more as much about other folks and racists on the other side.' He said, `The thing we need to focus on as a community - black folks I'm talking about - is ourselves.'"

Nagin said he also asked: "Why is black-on-black crime such an issue? Why do our young men hate each other so much that they look their brother in the face and they will take a gun and kill him in cold blood?"

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin isn't the only one who thinks hurricanes come from God's wrath. In 1998, evangelist Pat Robertson warned that a gay pride event in Orlando could invite them to hit Florida.

Nagin said he also asked: "Why is black-on-black crime such an issue? Why do our young men hate each other so much that they look their brother in the face and they will take a gun and kill him in cold blood?"

The reply, Nagin said, was: "We as a people need to fix ourselves first."

Nagin also said King would have been dismayed with black leaders who are "most of the time tearing each other down publicly for the delight of many."

A day earlier, gunfire erupted at a parade to commemorate King's birthday. Three people were wounded in the daylight shooting amid a throng of mostly black spectators, but police said there were no immediate suspects or witnesses.

Any thought and/or comments? confused

Echuu
Originally posted by Draco69
"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans - the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

laughing It's the way God wants it to be???

PVS
what harm can come from abiding by his words?
our troops come home safe, and the lower income black community is united and progressive.

so as ridiculous as his logic is....i dont see it as dangerous in the least, in fact possibly very helpful

:edit: im just referring to the particular quotes in the article. i dont know enough about this guy or his history of rhetoric to have an opinion of him.

lil bitchiness
*points like a religious fundamentalist at an abortion clinic*

SINNERZ!

botankus
What about whipped cream or sprinkles on top of the chocolate? Do they at least have that option?

debbiejo
He was mad at Florida last year...I think he just doesn't like the coast...

grey fox
I know , why not point to 'god' every time a major natural disaster happens ... oh yeah let's blame a being which we have no actual proof of existing and only a ???00000 year old book which speaks of him .

We had the ****ign signs , if people are to stupid/to greedy or just can't be bothered to leave their property or give aid or even WARN people then it's their own damn fault.....

BobbyD
Natural disasters have been occurring on this planet for 5 billion years. They're so catastrophic now because of the human element. When we weren't here, it didn't matter.

overlord
Yeah, America is God's playing ground and he doesn't like coloured people.

KharmaDog
God must have been really pissed at the folks he hit with the Tsunami last year. Compared to that, he must have been only slightly miffed by the US.

botankus
Originally posted by grey fox
We had the ****ign signs , if people are to stupid/to greedy or just can't be bothered to leave their property or give aid or even WARN people then it's their own damn fault.....

It would have been easy for you to evacuate. You're not black, you can walk, you have a car, you don't have a family of 8 that need you, you're not homeless and/or living on pennies, you're not addicted to smack, and you have 24/7 access to the weather channel.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by botankus
It would have been easy for you to evacuate. You're not black, you can walk, you have a car, you don't have a family of 8 that need you, you're not homeless and/or living on pennies, you're not addicted to smack, and you have 24/7 access to the weather channel.

Unfortunately it seems many people can't look at things from a perspective that is outside their own lives.

Kella
Originally posted by debbiejo
Chocolate...mmmm pretty bad.....Everyone should just move away from there anyway.

I'm not leaving my home. We will rebuild. And we will evacuate again. And we will rebuild. And evacuate again...and rebuild. You get it. I love my home...and my city. I'll always come home.

There is no other place like New Orleans in the whole world. When your whole world was created and has existed here in this city...it's very hard to let it go.

I just wish the damn crappy drivers from out of state here to "help" us would just leave already and get off of our roads....or...to be civil...they should learn to drive the way we drive here in New Orleans.

And Nagin...I liked him at first, but I think he's losing it. He's acting like the 9th ward was wiped out because there were blacks there. No...it was wiped out because it wasn't very well taken care of because the people who lived there (some...not everyone) didn't give a crap about keeping things well maintained. If you have a rickety building about ready to fall apart and is about 100 years old...it's gonna fall apart, even in a small hurricane. If you have a building with strong foundations and upkeep...it's got a better chance of survival.

The weather doesn't give a sh*t what color you are. The immaturity of this is astounding...and I am humiliated to consider some of these people my neighbors.

Yeah....*gets off of soap box*

botankus
I think Fog hates white people. White-collared commuters are always complaining about it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by botankus
I think Fog hates white people. White-collared commuters are always complaining about it. laughing out loud It hates me too..Maybe it's getting me back because I sinned. embarrasment

OH and about rebuilding...what if it keeps happening again and again, being a costal city...

Mindship
frusty

Arachnoidfreak
did you guys hear what mayor Nagin of New Orleans said about the hurricanes? that god was mad at mankind and that soon new orleans will be a chocolate city again? has he completely lost it?

ya damn right! america is full of heathens.

the guy is a frigging idiot. he said god was mad at us for beibg in iraq. he said god was mad at black people for killing each other off. this is not how god works. he is a vengeful god, but not a spiteful god.

of course he's a spiteful god. sodom and gamorah, flooding the entire earth, etc, etc.

Taranis
This man is a fool to even so much as attempting to comprehend the will of a being which (if he is thinking in the more traditional Christian sense) is beyond his understanding.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Taranis
This man is a fool to even so much as attempting to comprehend the will of a being which (if he is thinking in the more traditional Christian sense) is beyond his understanding.

Well, if you've noticed...Christians have been doing exactly that for thousands of years.

Not just Christians either. THe other two religions that believe in the Old Testament, Judaism and Islam, are guilty of the same thing.

Taranis
Quite a broad accusation you have there, ma'am. Some people have been trying to apply the moral meanings from scripture to their lives, in an attempt to make themselves better people. And you make it sound like it's some sort of crime.

Though, I will admit that it's easy to stray from the original intended message. Perhaps that's how you get Crusades and other holy wars.

Not that I have any faith in the Good Book myself.

Arachnoidfreak
MA'AM??

My profile happens to say MALE. I happen to love beautiful women.

Err, the original intended message contains things like slavery, genocide of non-believers, ritual sacrifice, revenge, incest, self mutilation(not a simple piercing or tattoo...actually chopping off your own body parts)...and eternal damnation for disobeying.

Great message for the children, eh?

I love to hear people say the Bible is a great positive message. It makes it seem like they've ignored the rest of the book. The Bible has to be the goriest, most sickening book ever created.

long pig
This guy sounds like Hitler. He has, in the past, talked about jews having too much money and such. Now he's talking about God wants NO to be all black. I don't like it at all.

If he were white, we would be all over his ass.

Taranis
Whoa. It's a trap!

I never said that the Bible didn't have its flaws. Obviously, if I don't believe in it, I'm bound to find a few. But I'm sure that there are other messages from the Bible that are positive, ArachnoidFreak, and I'm sure you've taken note of them as well.

Arachnoidfreak
Of course there are positive messages, particularly in the New Testament(love your neighbor and all that jazz), which still has it's fair share of cruelty, but the Old Testament is nearly twice as long and really doesn't say anything besides "obey god or die" which is followed by numerous acts of sin, and god's retribution. although, he doesn't punish all sins, and sometimes he kills people for the hell of it. no pun intended.

Taranis
Gotta love deuteronomic history?

Arachnoidfreak
Of course! The Bible is a great story, dark, grim, contains every immoral practice ever, from stealing to incest to murder, has a bit of light close to the end, has a bit of a moral somewhere in there, and then polishes off with armageddon!

It just doesn't have any business being taken literally. It's a book, containing stories, some of which have morals, some of which are just violent, not the guide to living a life.

Kella
Oh...btw....locals here are now referring to New Orleans as Chocolate City. Apaprently...that southern humor has kicked in. I think that's gonna stick as a nickname. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Taranis
well put.

grey fox
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
Of course! The Bible is a great story, dark, grim, contains every immoral practice ever, from stealing to incest to murder, has a bit of light close to the end, has a bit of a moral somewhere in there, and then polishes off with armageddon!

It just doesn't have any business being taken literally. It's a book, containing stories, some of which have morals, some of which are just violent, not the guide to living a life.

If you want A class violence , put down that game of manhunt and pick up your bible......

Grand Moff Gav

Im no christian but I don't believe God would seek to kill thousands of poor people for somthing which is out if their control. I believe God put down natural disaters to remind us of our mortality.

Uberking Robert

If the Christian version of God is real, then I don't think he's mad at us. I think he's just given up. I mean, there's gay marriage, hookers, drugs, murder, feminism (from what I've heard the Bible makes it clear that women getting out of place is a serious no-no), pedophiles and all sorts of shit everywhere, and not only this but those who are still loyal to this hypothetical God are of course basically Nazis. Assuming He exists, he's forsaken us. By logical calculation and conclusion we have basically broken every rule in the book.

As for New Orleans being inhabited largely by blacks...I don't care if it is. To me it doesn't really matter. And as for God being mad at black people, well, they were slaves for about 400 years and for the next hundred or so years afterwards had no rights and were second class citizens. If God's mad at black people then I think he's done all the damage he actually can, short of creating an instantly fatal disease that only black people can get.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.