EU issues and complaints thread:

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lightsnake
I've decided to open a thread devoted to basically spewing your venom or perhaps just mind distaste at stuff in the EU that you think was

* OOC
* Just plain ridiculous
* Taking focus off the Original Heroes
* Blatantly unoriginal use of them
* A dumb decission
* Unstarwarsy

Add infintum

This is a thread where you can vent your frustrations about everything from Mara the Shameless Hussy to Callista the Brain Sucking Nutter. Everyone will have hated something you love don't worry but here you can speak freely.

Also included as part of this thread will be "Continuity Spackle" requests where we Star Wars fans make requests in this threads to try and come up with an in-universe explanation for the worst mischaracterizations and erroneous failures of logic in the GFFA.

Carry on Folks!

My first issues:
Characterization....it tends to jump all over the place. In Dark Empire, Luke is dark and broody....in Thrawn trilogy, he's upbeat and outgoing. Jacen? He starts off as a fun joke teller, now he's a dark introvert. Jaina's done 180s....Mara? Don't get into her.
Mara Jade hates Luke Skywalker because she's a former diet joke Dark Jedi trained Assassin (I say Diet Coke evil because Jerec exudes evil and can rock worlds, Mara presumably exuded cultish behavior and can move pencils). She gets over it.

Han the drunk, Han the womanizer, Han the fat family man, Han the Robot Messiah (I made the last one up but you blinked for a second)

Really irritating 'We can top THIS syndrome" Forget about Vader, we have the EMPEROR'S HANDS! Palpatine? Look at these guys from the past! Luke? He wasn't so special, the order's been revived countless times. Vader live enslaved to the Dark Side syndrome? Look at EVERYONE and their mother who flirts with it and comes back!

Massively uneven timelimes: Sooo....we retcon the Big Schism....but wait.....if the Sith empire is exterminated 5000 BBY, why is Freedon Nadd, four hundred years later, leaving a Sith Order because he's mad about the new Dark Lord still being young? *Head explodes*

Can we PICK A LEVEL ON VADER and stick with it?!
Palpatine: Vader, do kidnap your son?
Vader: I get to go in a STARSHIP?!?!

Anakin: Noone can kill a Jedi..../EXCEPT ME!/

At the same time, the Force is really used in ridiculous ways...Palp destroying a fleet? People eating planets? Stars exploding? Luca wanted it small scale for a REASON!

No Attempt to Fix the Discontinuity of the Chosen One Bit with the Sith

Say, Vader was the one who finally dragged Palpatine into the Dark Side because right now han is the Chosen One...and the Sith survived! HAN BRINGS BALANCE TO THE FORCE!

Kill Luminya!

Stop stereotyping races! Duros are pilots, You will never meet a non-thugh Aqualish or a nice Zeltron! Trandoshans are vicious beasts! Wookies are noble and honorable, Twi'leks are sly'n evil or heroic.

And lastly, I conclude with this 'EU story in sixty seconds' of Jedi Vs. Sith (Attributed to where need be by my good friend on TFNsmile

*children's limbs goes flying*
"Oh, it must be Bane. Yes, Lord Bane?"
"I AM THE TRUE AND ONLY SITH!"
"Uh huh, do you DO anything in this comic?"
"I look badass and corrupt a 8 year old."
"Go away."
"FOOLS! Muahahhahahaha!"
"Yes, go drink some poison."
"Sure."
"You're an idiot."
"But I didn't die so whose the REAL idiot?"
"Not the guy who kills 1000 Jedi. The guy who runs with his tail between his legs."
"Ha! Wait til my NEXT appearences where I put salad on my face and kill MORE children who can't put up a fight!"
"Suddenly Ludo Kressh actually has some dignity."

"TOMCAT!"
"Hi! I'm worse than the Gungans and Ken Palpatine! (Ever read the Glove of darth Vader books? Count yourself lucky....there IS a Ken Palpatine.)"
"YAY!"
"In the last glorious stand of the Jedi, I'm a deciding factor."
"No you're not."
"Okay, so maybe I am totally worthless. I think I'll go cut down another kid and steal the lightsaber of some dying jedi."
"I'm not dead yet."
"Shuddap old man."
"Wow, I actually long for Gav and Jori Daragon as dignified additions to a titanic storyline."

"BREATHE fellow Jedi! We fight for glorious Scotl...Odi...err the Republic!"
"FREEEDDDDOOOM!"
"Why are we fighting solely as Jedi?"
"Who cares Lord Hoth!"
"When did Jedi become Lords?"
"And why are we fighting a fricking GROUND battle against the Sith?"
"On one planet?"
"WHO CARES! Pour out the ale and we die as Vikings!"

"Cooshballs!"

"How did the Jedi vs. Sith war start?"
"Who cares!"
"Why is the technology even worse than the lowest point of the Republic?"
"Doesn't matter."
"Where did all these Sith come from?"
"Who do you take me for? Kevin J. anderson? I don't think up things like that!"

Bane: Well...it appears I'm dead...
Marka: Welcome to the Dark Side
Bane: This is reserved for true Sith Lords? Seems rather...sparse...
Marka: Well, I'll be the first to admit the Sith aren't really batting a hundred....the others are over there...

Sion: BRAAAAINS! BRAAAAAAAINS!
Nihilius: GJNSNISLSKNSJSJKS<SKSK!!!!
Traya: You are a Jedi!....pay no attention to my evil cackling...
Ludo: But....But I should be the Dark Lord....Naga Sadow is so mean!
Naga: We will avenge our Sithy righteousness upon the evil of the Republic!
Simus: How do I manage to talk?
Kaan: KIIIIIIIIIIRK!
Bandon: Sidious is INSidious...Vader will INvade all you hold dear...Maul will MAUL you!....but I am Darth Bandon and I will ABANDON YOU! FEAR MY GOATEE!!!
Ulic: MY FORCE PENIS IS BIGGER THAN EXAR KUN'S!

Vegemiteman
Nice topic. I am actually a member of GFAQS as well. Good to know you are taking the fight to fanboys on mulitple fronts smile

My biggest annoyance is KOTOR fanboys. How the hell can we know how strong Revan, Exile, Kreia, Sion etc are when the user ?PICKS THIER DAMN POWERS! I am a fanboy of Sidious, Yoda but at least thier powers are defined(if not by lucas then by the EU authors) but in 10 different games, Revan could master 10 different force powers? WTF

ArthasKnight
....................................What in the name of the Force was that?

Lord Caltor
if we have to kill revan in kotor 3 im not doing it i doint care if i waste my money i will not kill my lord revan he is the best sith of all time because he reminds me of me (best sith of all time in my opinion) and im not a bloody fanboy cause i also like plo koon OH AND BY THE WAY ANAKIN SKYWALKER SUCKS I HATE HIM SO MUCH HE IS A BRAT THAT IS SPOILED HES TOO SENSITIVE HE CANT CONTROL HIS EMOTIONS WHEN THINGS DONT GO HIS WAY HE AIS A TOTAL REJECT I HATE HIM HE IS THE MOST IDIOTIC PERSON OF ALL TIME FALLING FOR THE DS SOOOO EASILY HE IS A RETARD I HATE HIM I HATE HIM I AHTE HIM

im done going on and on about a guy i hate now smile

Fishy
NJO Luke, DE Sidous Nihilus and Sion I can't stand those guys...

Ushgarak
"Look at EVERYONE and their mother who flirts with it and comes back!"

Actually, this has always been the crutch point for me.

All the over-exaggeration, revived characters and power trumping is simply good old fashioned bad writing. Star Wars IS exaggerated, but they overdo it; characters returning and more powerful bad guys showing up are cheap shots but work well if handled well; they have never, ever been handled well in the EU and were simply used due to laziness- and I understand this carries on all the way into the NJO with Luke over-powering.

But the area that really gets to the heart of being wrong in a Star Wars sense is the way they tend to bugger up the whole story of falling to the Dark Side by continuing to have characters that fall to it and return (and worse, sometimes the better for it).

Anakin's story, and eventual redemption, was a one-off, unique, never happened before amazing fantastical end to a huge saga in the form of the films... which the EU reduces to an event that is merely uncommon at best, with people actively hoping that characters will be redeemed, as if that is actually ever meant as a possiblity.

It cheapens the entire concept of the Light and Dark Sider to do this; the menace of the Dark Side and the true horror that is falling to it gets eroded by this revolving door policy. It's the Sith that teach that evil and good are just viewpoints you can mess around with. Any Star Wars hero has to be way above that kind of cheap thinking.

It is also likely that various reinterpretations of the Force I have heard about in the NJO are also guility of similarly messing up something very important to the heart of Star Wars, but I haven't actually read any of it.

Darth Katarn
Look before you make threads like this please research everything this is the stupidest thread ever if you hate star wars so much why dont you just go to another forum that doesnt involve star wars.

LLLLOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR

Ushgarak
Nicely constructive post there. What on Earth made you think we are not Star Wars fans?

Just about everyone in this forum has some issue with the EU, whether it is its general style, or the direction that the NJO took. It's a very common Star Wars issue, so I think it might be nice to engage your brain before posting.

Darth Katarn
not you the one who wrote this thread it seems that he thinks everything is wrong i dont thunk he understands all of it he making fun of it

Fishy
You've obviously never read the VS forum...

Lightsnake
Oh, I hardly hate it....I'm just pointing out the issues I have with it. That doesn't mean I hate or despise it...

Tangible God
Originally posted by Lightsnake
Sion: BRAAAAINS! BRAAAAAAAINS!
Nihilius: GJNSNISLSKNSJSJKS<SKSK!!!!
Traya: You are a Jedi!....pay no attention to my evil cackling...
Ludo: But....But I should be the Dark Lord....Naga Sadow is so mean!
Naga: We will avenge our Sithy righteousness upon the evil of the Republic!
Simus: How do I manage to talk?
Kaan: KIIIIIIIIIIRK!
Bandon: Sidious is INSidious...Vader will INvade all you hold dear...Maul will MAUL you!....but I am Darth Bandon and I will ABANDON YOU! FEAR MY GOATEE!!!
Ulic: MY FORCE PENIS IS BIGGER THAN EXAR KUN'S! Lol. It's this here that sums up all my dislike of fanboys. The rest of the post is good too.

Lightsnake

Lightsnake

Julie
I've mentioned before that I hate the Black Fleet Crisis...the stupid stories where luke falls in love with a computer bound, dead ghost of a long deceased, did I mention not alive, jedi named Callista.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.