Dumbass Greenpeace protester almost harpooned (Stupid Environ"mentalist")

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat
From http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060115/...apan_whales_dc:

Quote:
Japanese whaler harpoon in near-miss with protesters

Sun Jan 15, 10:28 AM ET

CANBERRA (Reuters) - A Japanese whaling harpoon narrowly missed an inflatable boat carrying environmental protesters, causing one to fall into the freezing sea, as both sides warn their face-off is becoming increasingly dangerous.

The Greenpeace vessel Arctic Sunrise has been shadowing the Japanese whaling fleet for several weeks in an attempt to disrupt Japan's annual whale hunt, prompting a heated exchange on January 8 when the Greenpeace ship and a Japanese ship collided.

In the latest incident on Saturday, the harpoon came within a meter of the inflatable boat as it tried to shield a minke whale, the environmental group said.

The harpoon's trailing line knocked one activist into the sea. He scrambled back aboard the boat without injury.

Greenpeace expedition leader Shane Rattenbury said the whalers were taking more risks to fill their catch in Antarctic waters south of Australia.

"There is definitely an increasing level of tensions down here and the harpooners are certainly starting to take shots that perhaps a week or two weeks ago they would not have taken," Rattenbury told Sky television.

"Yesterday took it to a new level -- we are very concerned about that," he said, adding the incident might force Greenpeace to review its tactics.

But Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research in Tokyo said it was Greenpeace that was taking more risks to remain in the media spotlight.

Institute chief Hiroshi Hatanaka said in a statement Greenpeace put its inflatable boat dangerously close to the bow of the whaling vessel when the harpooner fired.

"Our harpooner had a clear shot and took it. The strike was perfect and the whale was killed instantly," he said.

"The fact that the rope fell onto their inflatable and one of the activists fell into the water is entirely their fault. We are also concerned that they tried to cut the line because it makes it more dangerous for them."

Australia, a strong opponent of Japan's whaling program, has refused to intervene by sending navy ships to monitor the whaling and protests.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said last week Australia sympathized with the protesters, but said they had to make sure their protest was peaceful and did not endanger anyone.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat

But Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research in Tokyo said it was Greenpeace that was taking more risks to remain in the media spotlight.

Ditto...

soleran30
Perhaps we can get a bunch of Greenpeace protesters out in deer season dressing up like deer to confuse hunters...........that'll show'm.

WrathfulDwarf
I got a better one. Why don't we dress them up in red and send them to the Running of the bulls in Spain. Just picture it....protestors sitting down in the middle street while a stampede of bulls is coming their way. The story would certainly give Greenpeace the spotlight.

Darth Jello
hey, international law is international law. I think the crews of whaling ships should be arrested and their boats torpedoed.

soleran30
Originally posted by Darth Jello
hey, international law is international law. I think the crews of whaling ships should be arrested and their boats torpedoed.

That would add more pollution I am afraid dumping.........no pouring into the oceans is that what you really want?

I also failed to read about anyone breaking international law in that article.

Darth Jello
every country except norway and japan signed a treating against whaling. I interpret that as a majority ruling, not as a participation thing.

KharmaDog
every country except norway and japan signed a treating against whaling. I interpret that as a majority ruling, not as a participation thing.

Unfortunately I do think it is a "participation thing".

GCG
They shielded a whale. Thats what Green Peace do. They actually hope to get hit so that they can get some attention on the whaling that goes on.

Darth Jello
meh, torpedoing would send a stronger message.

GCG
Be real ; whaling ships are not submarines.

BackFire
God I hate protestors so ****ing much. I would be grateful if that idiot who fell in the water died.

K.Diddy
Protesters need to get a life.

Capt_Fantastic
As I have said many times, I agree with the idea behind their actions, however, I think they go about it in a ridiculous manner.

botankus
I'm just trying to picture this whole harpooning thing in my head. First it misses the posterboard-waving people on an inflatable raft, only to strike a whale, killing it instantly?

Has Spielberg acquired the rights to use this as a scene yet?

Bardock42
Doesn't matter how you take it.

Pandemoniac
The international treating against whaling has been established for a good reason, to protect endangered species. We have finally come to an age in which there appears to be some wisdom and understanding dripping in to the minds of governments concerning the need to protect nature, or what's left of it after centuries of demolishing it.
And as all ways, some still choose to ignore the greater good for their own benefit, in this case Norway and Japan still hunting whales under the motto of 'scientific research'. While it is of-course just to fill restaurants to satisfy their ignorant inhabitants, so they can thrive of the money that comes with it. They don't give a crap about the possible total extinction of the animals, it won't happen in their lifetime anyway is the major idea, 'so f#ck it if my granddaughter will be born in a world without them, as long as I get filthy rich in my lifetime'.
Now, despite the nations upholding the no-whaling-treating disagree greatly with Norway's and Japan's acts, all they do in an attempt to put a hold to it is voting futile protests, anything else might endanger the international relationships, which are again just all about money.
Just to be clear, I do agree that Greenpeace is an attention-whore and pulls off a bit to much desperate actions to get in the picture. But at least they dare to go beyond the rules and stubborn politics to fight for the cause to preserve wildlife. I greatly respect those people willing to put themselves between a harpoon and a animal they wish to survive mankind's stupidity. Sure, it's desperate and maybe even stupid, but they do display the balls that most international relationship and environmental politicians wish they had.
And for all those here who would be amused if one of these people was to be injured or even killed while that person is waging all to protect defenseless animals because nobody else will, take a look at your own life and the contribution you make to this planet and ask yourself this; 'If I want this guy to die, how much right do I have to live myself?'

Bardock42
I ate Whale once. In Iceland. It was very tasty. Kind of like Steak. Just better.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Stupid, dumbass whalers almost harpoon a protestor.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Stupid, dumbass whalers almost harpoon a protestor.

Indeed, that too. Both sides are rather unacceptable in this situation.

soleran30
There aren't many truly defenseless animalssmile

That said if Greenpeace is so powerful then they should find other means to deter the whale hunters. Obviously if they as an organisation cannot find an alternative means to deter whale hunters other then shoving humans in front of harpoons think about what type of organisation that truly is. Selective value of life is convenient for large "organizations" wouldn't you agree.

Pandemoniac
Greenpeace relies on donations and volunteers, while they step up to face well financed and powerfull nations.

And may I please correct you on your quote 'There aren't many truly defenseless animals'.

If your aiming at those few occasions in which a person get's offed by a bull or tiger a year; correct, face to face and unarmed, many animals would make any man bite the dust. But those are rare exeptions now.
For over many centuries humans have put technology to use in killing animals, with frighting results. No animal is able to defend itself when man wants to kill it. Not since the last... let's say 5000 years.

soleran30
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Greenpeace relies on donations and volunteers, while they step up to face well financed and powerfull nations.

And may I please correct you on your quote 'There aren't many truly defenseless animals'.

If your aiming at those few occasions in which a person get's offed by a bull or tiger a year; correct, face to face and unarmed, many animals would make any man bite the dust. But those are rare exeptions now.
For over many centuries humans have put technology to use in killing animals, with frighting results. No animal is able to defend itself when man wants to kill it. Not since the last... let's say 5000 years.

you asked for permission then did it without a response tsk tsk.....

no you cannot correct my quote about defenseless animalssmile Woops you already did it. They are facing at least in this piece 2 nations. I wouldn't say that Norway is a significant economic powerhouse. That said I understand their mission its how they execute their plans I laugh at.

ladygrim
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
As I have said many times, I agree with the idea behind their actions, however, I think they go about it in a ridiculous manner.

yes yes

manjaro
whats a few whales here and there...meh...i say let em hunt and le those green peace bastards get harpooned

Imperial_Samura

Yes, I agree entirely. But then I guess the question is what other manner is there to protest? Apparently Japan has ignored the diplomatically worded condemnation from non-whaling nations, and unless those same nations start acting tough it seem that people like this will continue to act in a dangerous and silly manner.

Or, I guess there is the Sea Shepard approach, which is to sink the whaling ships, which could bad for all concerned, though they haven't killed anybody in the process yet, one wonders how long it will be before that might happen.

And I think it's about time that Japan drops the whole "we kill 350+ whales a year for scientific research" - research into what? Virtually every other nation that studies whales does it while they are alive, or look at ones that died of natural causes (or beach themselves and die) - and these whale friendly studies usually produce more data in a couple of years then Japan has it it's entire history of whaling (the actually whaling years and the sudden switch to "scientific research"wink I mean, I pop into my university library and go and look at marine biology and whales, well, amongst the thousands of journals and books on the subject, there is very, very little from Japan. We have European, US, Australian, Chinese, Indian and even a couple from New Zealand amongst others, but virtually nothing AT ALL from Japan. I mean one really in depth journal article I found from a Japanese marine biologist on whales was a response to a US marine biologists article.

And is it a coincidence that soon after such scientific research culls there is an influx of whale meat into the Japanese delicatessens? I mean, where does it come from if they are only killing for scientific research as they claim?

Capt_Fantastic
My real pointis that there are just causes in every "struggle". However, what other organization goes about their mission in such a ridiculously and openly radical manner? I mean, if the womens rights movement had gone about it's goals in such a fashion, all women would be locked away or chained to their bed post. If gay rights actavists tried to stop government officials from voting against gay rights by blowing up a limo carrying the speaker of the house, gays would be dragged from their houses and beaten in the streets. Or people who are against the death penalty by killing the warden on his way to the prison on the night of the execution.

In the article, the guy says that Greenpeace will have to "reevaluate" their methods? But, this isn't the first ti some shit like this has happened. So, it's clear that the organization needs to be held accountable in a more severe manner. Fine them out of existence, or just flat out shut them down. These are supposed to be human beings, who know better. It's like abortion clinic bombers! Fight for life by killing someone? It's counter productive.

grey fox
Green peace struggle to get attention , i say load all of the bastards into a bus and drive it stright into the ocean , that'll get them some damn attention....

xmarksthespot
As I have said many times, I agree with the idea behind their actions, however, I think they go about it in a ridiculous manner. Pretty much sums it up.

tabby999
yeah, i think they're protesting a worthy cause and should stop those bastards killing the whales, but i dont know how getting harpooned will help them

GCG
Originally posted by grey fox
Green peace struggle to get attention , i say load all of the bastards into a bus and drive it stright into the ocean , that'll get them some damn attention....

Attention on the cause, not on themselves.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by GCG
Attention on the cause, not on themselves.

True. And foolish as the way they can go about it can be, what's happening here is indeed getting their cause attention. The pictures that accompany this article are usually the small green peace boat, dwarfed by the whaling ship, a dead whale bleeding in the water near by. You rarely even see the person knocked over board.

I doubt the protesters want to die, or even be seriously hurt, but by putting themselves in such a position they are getting people talking, rating the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pages in newspapers, news and all that. Seeing dead whales or seeing Japanese whalers still firing despite the risk to human life. The media can be a powerful tool, and really, Greenpeace are making better use of it then the whalers.

Although there probably wont be anything else like this for a while, apparently the Green Peace ships are leaving to refuel, and according to news services wont be able to return till towards the end of the hunting period.

overlord
"But Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research in Tokyo said it was Greenpeace that was taking more risks to remain in the media spotlight."

Nice excuse and attempt to turning the blame around but only fooling the prejudiced.

Imagawa666
Originally posted by GCG
Be real ; whaling ships are not submarines.

Ships can have torpedos. Not just submarines. There launched from the side I think.

tabby999
Originally posted by Imagawa666
Ships can have torpedos. Not just submarines. There launched from the side I think.

indeed they can, but they are more traditionally associated with a submarine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.