Sidious?...... or Yoda?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General G
I have heard many theories about this, but who is more powerful...yoda or Darth Sidious? And which one would have won if the battle were to keep going and the clones didnt come?

Sacul
I sense that this post will cause major strife if people reply to it.

Dark Aristokrat
Yoda, had he been younger, would have mopped up with Sidious. Sidious lost the saber battle, technically lost the force battle, but won because he was luckily able to maintain the high ground while Yoda had fallen and lost his saber.

Lightsnake
If Yoda were younger, he'd be lacking a lot that made him the Jedi he became

Dark Aristokrat
Well, if he had been fifty, a hundred years younger he would still have had experience outstripping anyone in his era AND he would be in better shape physically. I don't think Sidious can contend with a younger Yoda.

Thorin
Originally posted by Dark Aristokrat
Yoda, had he been younger, would have mopped up with Sidious. Sidious lost the saber battle, technically lost the force battle, but won because he was luckily able to maintain the high ground while Yoda had fallen and lost his saber.

i agree totally with you yoda did overmatch sidious, sidious only had higherground, and not for long, i agree with episode 3 visual companion that yoda might have been a little heart broken over losing his jedi pupils, just imagine everything you have strived for lost in almost the blink of an eye.

and i dont think yoda's age has anything to do with it, he is the best master in the history of the jedi, even above luke.

mace=badass
He's not better than Luke. Sidious is more powerful. Had Yoda been more powerful, he would have won.

ladyjedi05
Tough one~ I think Yoda (being the wisest of all jedi) knew he was losing and knew it was time to get the hell out of there.......

Council#13
i think that Yoda won the saber fight, but Sidious won the force battle; otherwise, sidious would have continued fighting with the saber (i have a feeling that sidious is the one who started the force fight between them)

Thorin
YEAH SIDIOUS STARTED THE FORCE FIGHT, BUT I STILL DONT AGREE THAT HE BEAT YODA, HE BREIFLY OVERPOWERED HIM BUT IN THE END OF THE FIGHT YODA WAS ABLE TO COUNTER THE LIGHTNING AND CONVERT THE ENERGY INTO A FORCE BOMB/PUSH. YES SIDIOUS IS POWERFUL BUT IF YODA WOULD HAVE FOUND HIS LIGHTSABER, OR LANDED NEAR IT HE WOULD HAVE SLICED SIDS TO RIBBONS.

Dark Aristokrat
In another situation, where Yoda wouldn't have fallen from so great a height and lost his saber, Sidious would have lost. His face reflects that when they have the lightning war.

Thorin
In another situation, where Yoda wouldn't have fallen from so great a height and lost his saber, Sidious would have lost. His face reflects that when they have the lightning war.

THANK YOU..... I'M JUST A BIG FAN OF YODA, AND I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DISMISS HIM SO EASILY, I LIKE PALPS TOO, BUT YODA WAS THE MENG IN THE FIGHT..

WHOA JUST THOUGHT OF THIS...IN ANOTHER TIME OR PLACE, YODA VS. SIDIOUS IN A PIER 9 BRAWL, ANYTHING GOES, NO HOLDS BARRED.........LOL THAT WOULD LOOK SO DAMN FUNNY, SIDOUS LIFTING A FRIEGHTER SHIP AND THROWING IT AT YODA, YODA CATCHS' IT AND TWIRLS IT AND THROWS IT BACK, SIDS CANT JUMP FAR ENOUGH BECAUSE THE SHIP IS TO BIG...........SQUISH GOES SIDIOUS.

YODA"AT AN END YOU RULE IS AND NOT SQUISHED ENOUGH YOU ARE"..LOL

mace=badass
Why didn't Yoda "SLICE SIDS TO RIBBONS" before when he had his lightsaber if he is better?

Thorin
BECAUSE PALPS RAN TO REGAIN SOME KIND OF ADVANTAGE, HELLO.

mace=badass
Yep, meaning he was more battle 'savy'.

Fishy
Meaning that Yoda sucks at fighting, but he still would have won in most other locations. Palps needed the advantage of terrain to beat Yoda he got it. Making him the better fighter and the winner in this situation, but that just shows that the most powerful does not always win the fight. Drop those two in the Tatooine Desert in the middle of no where and Palps is dead.

Lightsnake
I doubt fifty years out eight hundred plus means much

Tangible God
Yet 2 decades turned Yoda into what he was in ESB.

Dark Aristokrat
A puppet?

Thorin
yeah puppet yoda, you know they could have digitaly put in yoda when they re-did the old movies on dvd, but no, they make more backgrounds, and space shots.

well i guess you cant have everything.

mace=badass
I would rather him be a puppet, it was wicked cool.

Thorin
i would like to have the puppet, man i would play with it all day

wow, i just sounded like an idiot

Council#13
Originally posted by Thorin
YEAH SIDIOUS STARTED THE FORCE FIGHT, BUT I STILL DONT AGREE THAT HE BEAT YODA, HE BREIFLY OVERPOWERED HIM BUT IN THE END OF THE FIGHT YODA WAS ABLE TO COUNTER THE LIGHTNING AND CONVERT THE ENERGY INTO A FORCE BOMB/PUSH. YES SIDIOUS IS POWERFUL BUT IF YODA WOULD HAVE FOUND HIS LIGHTSABER, OR LANDED NEAR IT HE WOULD HAVE SLICED SIDS TO RIBBONS.

yes, yes yes.

Sidious probably lost his lightsaber and started using the force, otherwise he may have leapt at Yoda with a lightsaber instead of blasting with his lightning

Lightsnake
That'd require a lot of skillfull editing, money, possibly getting a much older Mark Hamill to stand in for new scenes...

kamikz

This is just a guess but do you think Yoda might have become weaker when he was older. I mean, he had a higher midichlorians count than any other in the jedi order, but he is still not far above them. Mabey he has to use more force to support his body while he fights as a 800 year old. Obi-Wan seemed much weaker in ANH, Sidious seemed weaker in ROTJ. I'm not saying I belive this but it could be like this.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by mace=badass
Had Yoda been more powerful, he would have won.

That's poor logic. Anakin was more powerful than Obi-Wan, but who won that fight?

Council#13
Did Anakin? no expression

overlord
OMG OMG OMG!!! Yoda is the uber elite cool dude much poowerful warrior evah!!!

He like totally pwns every body!!!

Lightsnake
Wouldn't it make more sense to a Jedi to get stronger with age anyways?

Dark Aristokrat
Their knowledge should grow, but their bodies age.

overlord
We can only guess whether Yoda still grew in knowledge or skills after becoming a jedi master or some point. But age is the minor factor in Star Wars as they can apperantly use to force for agility and strength.

Of course I'm not implying that a dying Yoda of RotJ could still do much but I think that he probably stayed at a certain degree of 'power' for most of his last hundred years after completing training and perfecting lightsaber skills.

But what level of age is Yoda's prime anyway and when is he physically developt anyway?
Come to think of it, I think nobody can really say anything for sure on his increase or decreasing in power over age actually..

Lightsnake
Physical age hardly means a damn thing unless one is closing in on old age death.

Dark Aristokrat
Yoda was riddled with arthritis, and it shows when he's winded after fighting Dooku for perhaps a minute tops. Also, the way he took his sweet time standing up after Sidious blasted him with lightning leads me to believe that if he could just "Snap up" he would have.

Yoda is old. His body, though reinforced by the Force, was feeling the effects of aging.

overlord
Ataru is tiring, this is clearly shown.. But does it tire the body wich is kept up through the force or is it just hard to maintain connection to the force?

This is something that still bothers me..

Dark Aristokrat
If Ataru was tiring, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in EPisode I would be wasted. They fought for like eight minutes with Maul.

overlord
Yeah, though if the force can keep your body from tiring, then what is Yoda suffering of when done with fighting (assuming he actually does)?
Does the force go against fatigue only partially in that case?

I suspect some major flaws in the vague idea of the force..

Julie
yoda would probably be fine....Sidious was more into manipulating than cutting down....BTW, EP III has him way overpowered....but part of that was probably time constraints on the movie

Boris
Sidious... he wins, thought that was obvious.

Lightsnake
We've seen age doesn't have as much effect as one might think...the only time it really impacted someone in a fight was with Qui-Gon

That Yoda was winded after Dooku shows he's able to fight but feels the effect after the fact.

Council#13
He wasnt winded, he seemed rather upset about losing (that's my opinion)

Thorin
well he didnt lose to dooku, dooku was already knowing he wouldnt win it was a matter of time befor yoda killed him, so dooku toppled that big metal pole or whatever it was, to distract yoda long enough to escape, dooku knew yoda would save obi-wan and anakin from being crushed.

and lastly, i know sidous was declared the victory between him and yoda, but did he truly win, no, he niether killed nor defeated yoda with force capability, sidious won in the fact that he had anakin and the clone army kill off the jedi, after sidious and yoda fight yoda escapes and is taken away by bail organa, yoda tells him he failed, yes he failed to stop the sith from taking over but was because he was so heatbroken by losing his children, and that is the way i see this, that yoda just gave up, he was too evenly matched with sidious to try and restart the fight again.

and the age issue, yoda maybe nearly 900 years old, but he still could whip ass and take names.

mace=badass
^^ Ewwwwwwww! Yoda would whip Sidious. Gross.

Darth Takáta
Mace=Badass, i take it your a mace windu fan. Would you say Sidious beat Mace, or he let him win, or he was just toying? i doubt it. So why do you think Yoda couldnt beat him? Yoda easily outclassed mace.

Ali2006
YODA ALL THE WAY, HE IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ANY CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN A SABER FIGHT YODA WOULD HAVE WON AND IN A FORCE FIGHT I THINK HE WOULD TIE WITH SIDIOUS BUT HE HAD THE HIGHER GROUND.

Ali2006

Lightsnake
The force fight was so obviously faked as it was....

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Ali2006
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ya....if it wasnt becuase of anakin bumping in the fight, sidious would have lost to mace windu anyday...
sidious lost his saber in that fight and force fight was blocked by mace's saber.
do not underestimate any of the JEDI master's powers and capibilities.

Lucas already said in the DVD that Sidious could have pWn3d Windu had he wanted.

Not necessarily with his saber, but he coulda just pWn't Windu like a n00b with the force. The whole "Ohhh I'm to weak don't kill me pleeaaassee" part was fake. Palpatine could have killed Windu had he felt like it. His life was never in any real danger. Lucas said so himself.

JaehSkywalker
YODA 4ever!

kamikz
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Lucas already said in the DVD that Sidious could have pWn3d Windu had he wanted.

Not necessarily with his saber, but he coulda just pWn't Windu like a n00b with the force. The whole "Ohhh I'm to weak don't kill me pleeaaassee" part was fake. Palpatine could have killed Windu had he felt like it. His life was never in any real danger. Lucas said so himself.

Where exactly did he say that? On the ROTS DVD he said that Mace overpowered Sidious, and that he was supposed to loose to Mace. He added the weak part later. He never said anything about Palpatine being able to pwn Mace any second, he said Anakin saved him.

Darth Takáta
Back to Yoda... I suggest all you guys that think Sids overpowered yoda should go back and Watch the fight again. Watch the facial expressions, lucas always make sure they are accurate. sids does look confident at first, but there are places you can see his worriedness and yodas confidence. That alone should prove that yoda was on top.

Dark Aristokrat
Yoda pretty much pwned Sidious in that force tug of war. And I have NO clue what Anomaly's talking about.

Darth Takáta
Yoda was just unlucky.

Dark Aristokrat
*Gasp* There is no luck- there is only the fanboy! Erm... I mean, Force!

Darth Takáta
Well Yoda falling and only having a slanted smooth serfice to grip whilst sids has a bar to grab seems unlucky to me. If it had the other way around Yoda would hav seemed the victor.

Lightsnake
I think prophecy alone would've prevented Yoda from really winning there

ESB - 1138
I wouldn't say Yoda pwned Sidious in the struggle with the force lighting. If anything it was a tie between the two for it appeared that the lighting just exploded.

Also I do believe Sidious could have pwned Mace with the force if he wanted to. He was acting all weak and defenseless but the moment Mace lost his arm Sidious released the huge powerful force lighting attack. Sidious was lifting pods and throwing them around left and right, I'm sure if he felt his life was in danger he would have done that to Mace or a simple force push. Look how far Grievous went when Obi force pushed him and the Emperor is stronger in the force then old Obi-Wan.

mace=badass
Originally posted by Lightsnake
I think prophecy alone would've prevented Yoda from really winning there

Well it was discussed how the Prophecy could have been misread............ therefore, false.

Lightsnake
I'm not sure a misread prophecy equals a false one

ESB - 1138
Mace just said it could have been a prophecy misread he didn't say it was.

Lightsnake
Yoda said it could've been misread...I just took all this to mean "Well, the Chosen One's gonna kill the Sith...but something COULD happen along the way

mace=badass
Well what they thought was false...... what they read the prophecy as.

darht dude
well who do you think is more powerful, a guy possibly in his 60's or a 2 foot tall green dude that is almost 1,000 years old.
i would say that yoda is more powreful than sidious because yoda has more experience even though that we dont know how lod sidious is or where he came from, so i guess i can't argue with that.

darht dude
sorry i meant to say old.

mace=badass
I don't think that both the Sith are more powerful, and for some reason, the weaker people win.

Lord De Seies
It could have gone either way, you can't say its cheap that Yoda lost his lightsaber and wasn't able to fight and ran away, or in the force battle that Sidios won, he used his abilities to fight, and you can use what resources you have. If you think it was cheap that yoda lost his lightsaber and wasn't able to fight, then what about the other fights, like in ROTS when Obi-wan was fighting Anakin? Obi-wan had the higher ground and won cause Anakin (as stubborn as he is) jumped anyway and Obi-wan cut off his limbs and won, you cant say it was cheap cause he used his resources against his enemy.

General G
Originally posted by Lord De Seies
It could have gone either way, you can't say its cheap that Yoda lost his lightsaber and wasn't able to fight and ran away, or in the force battle that Sidios won, he used his abilities to fight, and you can use what resources you have. If you think it was cheap that yoda lost his lightsaber and wasn't able to fight, then what about the other fights, like in ROTS when Obi-wan was fighting Anakin? Obi-wan had the higher ground and won cause Anakin (as stubborn as he is) jumped anyway and Obi-wan cut off his limbs and won, you cant say it was cheap cause he used his resources against his enemy.

Well said, I agree, for most of it that you should use whatever resources that are around you to give you the advantage. Anakin really is stubborn stick out tongue

Tangible God
Honestly, in my opinion, Yoda losing his lightsaber WAS cheap.

Not his fault of course, but the writers.' They knew that Yoda wouldn't lose with his saber, so they had to get rid of it, i.e. Palpatine blowing out a hernia with his Lightning.

Frankly I'd say Yoda WOULD have won had he not lost his saber, but hey... he DIDN'T win, the Sith did. Despite the fairness level in the fight, Palpatine kicked the Jedi's ass.

mace=badass
You can't say someone's abilities don't win a fight. Anakin's stubbornness decreases from how powerful and battle "savvy" he is...

ESB - 1138
If we refer to starwars.com

Inside the spacious interior of the Galactic Senate chambers, Yoda challenged the Emperor. The two entered into a spectacular duel -- a contest between the most powerful practitioners of the Force's light and dark sides. The Emperor proved too powerful to defeat. Though Yoda held his own for much of the duel, in the end, the Sith bested him. He realized that directly confronting the Sith would be doomed to failure. Defeated, Yoda slinked away into the shadows of the Senate chamber's cavernous depths, leaping into a waiting getaway speeder piloted by Bail Organa.

It said the Emperor was too powerful to defeat and the Sith bested him.

Council#13
Yoda definately won. It appears that they started off near the Chancellor's podium thing, but then landed on it. I'm a bit tired from jet-lag at the moment and am not thinking clearly so i'm gonna stay quiet for a bit...

Tangible God
No matter how close Yoda came to winning, he still lost. Even if he had climbed back up, he was too tired to continue, and other than Palpatine's little fit to scramble back up the pod, he seemed rather fine and exuberant.

Only if Yoda had kept his saber, would he have had a chance.

General G
Originally posted by Tangible God
No matter how close Yoda came to winning, he still lost. Even if he had climbed back up, he was too tired to continue, and other than Palpatine's little fit to scramble back up the pod, he seemed rather fine and exuberant.

Also, Yoda knew the clones were coming, and he knew he couldn't take the clones AND Sidious at once, so he had to have killed him then and there, or not at all.

Wesker
Originally posted by ESB - 1138
If we refer to starwars.com

Inside the spacious interior of the Galactic Senate chambers, Yoda challenged the Emperor. The two entered into a spectacular duel -- a contest between the most powerful practitioners of the Force's light and dark sides. The Emperor proved too powerful to defeat. Though Yoda held his own for much of the duel, in the end, the Sith bested him. He realized that directly confronting the Sith would be doomed to failure. Defeated, Yoda slinked away into the shadows of the Senate chamber's cavernous depths, leaping into a waiting getaway speeder piloted by Bail Organa.

It said the Emperor was too powerful to defeat and the Sith bested him.

I think I've gone over this one before, ESB.... Nowhere was the Emperor "too powerful to defeat". Rather, he had the side of luck and good fortune, and it was to his benefit that Yoda didn't recover after the force battle, or else he would have been dead.

The apprentice
Ok for all those people who think sidous would win yoda won the force and lightsaber fight if yoda didnt take such a bad fall havin his lightsaber or not young or old he woulda beat sidious sidous relys on his apprentices to much and thats why he sucks yoda wins

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by The apprentice
Ok for all those people who think sidous would win yoda won the force and lightsaber fight if yoda didnt take such a bad fall havin his lightsaber or not young or old he woulda beat sidious sidous relys on his apprentices to much and thats why he sucks yoda wins

http://www.ephinx.com/games/uploads/thumb/you_are_an_idiot.jpg

Tangible God
Originally posted by The apprentice
Ok for all those people who think sidous would win yoda won the force and lightsaber fight if yoda didnt take such a bad fall havin his lightsaber or not young or old he woulda beat sidious sidous relys on his apprentices to much and thats why he sucks yoda wins Did he win the saber fight? Do we see it? Even so, if that fall took him out of commission, than he's not as great as your making him out to be.

And of COURSE Palpatine would get his apprentice to do everything; why have a servant if you're not gonna get him to run errands and enforce your will.

Gideon
Ah memories... and what's this? Janus asserting that his observations overturn the official databank? How out of character for him...

Dark-Jaxx
"BLAH BLAH IF YODA HAD DONE THIS IF SIDIOUS HADN'T DONE THAT"

Sidious won. Deal with it.

Jack Daniels
yoda was more powerful in the force that was obvious as he took the emperors best force attack and launched it back at him with not that much effort....but yoda could not keep going he had to crawl through that crawlspace and tweak his nipple to contact bail.....never figured why they had yoda do that to contact bail....we laughed about that for a long time...wtf he just gave himself titty twister...! LOL

GenomeFrozener
Darth Nihilus

StarKiller20
Sidius' down fall i sense

Tangible God
Who?

Rampant ox
I fail to see why this is being debated.
They fought. Sidious won.

End.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.