Buy Moon Knight!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ScarletSpider
This thread is a bit ahead of its time, since Moon Knight's new series isn't out until April, but so be it. It should be a doozy.

http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/episodes.asp

That site has two great audio interviews, takes awhile to load, but Episode 97 has an interview with Charlie Huston--the writer on the upcoming Moon Knight series, and it's pretty informative and hilarious.

Episode 57, way back, has an interview with Doug Moench, one of the creators of Moon Knight, and the original writer for his series way back when, his interview was also fun to listen to, he talks about some of his upcoming projects. It's interesting to hear the writers and creators actually talk about it, it adds an extra dimension.

So, buy the book when it comes out!

Lucid Lui
I'm definately picking this up...

Moon Knight rules..

roughrider
Don't much care for the costume changes on Ultimate Moon Knight.
How can you improve on perfection?
I listened to this interview with Doug Moench weeks ago - it's worth it.

ScarletSpider
The one with Huston's great too. Moon Knight as Herald of Galactus haha. I was somewhat wary of Huston at first, no one has ever done Spector right since Moench, but he seems really in tune with the character. The debate over white vs. silver for costume color is cool and Huston's rationale for Spector wearing a white costume at night is pretty sweet. "He's not sneaky, anyone can wear black and sneak around, but Moon Knight wears white, jumps out of a plane and busts up mother****ers."

DarkCrawler
I know who Moon Knight is, but I have never read any of his comics besides the Ultimate ones. Probably going to read this.

ScarletSpider
A Moon Knight Essentials collection is coming out in April, I believe, so for any who need to get some back reading in, that's a great place to start.

Lucid Lui
I'l probably pick up the essentials. SHould be a great read.

Also, a preview for issue one is up at Buzzscope . Looks good.

ScarletSpider
I agree. Looks great.

roughrider
David Finch looks the heir apparent to Jim Lee - who's art is still looking great.

Arahan
is Moon Knight gay?

roughrider
Originally posted by Arahan
is Moon Knight gay?

No.
But, he is one of the few jewish super hero chracters.

Arahan
and why i am remembering him as gay...
whatever

ScarletSpider
Um, no. I have no idea where any sort of "gay" connection made itself apparent to you. Any time he's been written well, he's been involved with Marlene Alruane.

Superherovandal
what are his powers?backround. please?

roughrider
Here's a bio:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Knight

ScarletSpider
Even with the Wikipedia entry available, I'll give a brief synopsis, since I don't feel like doing homework.

Marc Spector grew up in one of the poorer neighborhoods in Chicago, son of a Rabbi, Spector rejected his father's teachings and became a boxer, having mastered that fighting artform by 16/17 or so, his father found out about his fighting, Marc socked him in anger and left. He entered the military, was a marine for a bit, worked for the CIA, got bored with that and became a mercenary.

On a mission in Egypt, his boss Bushman killed a professor, Marc spoke up, saying it wasn't right and helped save the professor's daughter. Bushman "killed" him, and at the foot of a statue of Khonshu, the Egyptian god of vengeance and justice, he miraculously came back to life--be it divine intervention or a quirk in nature, he got up, startled the professor's daughter (Marlene, afterwards they shacked up). The statue of Khonshu had this linen cloak on it, he donned that believing himself to the Moon's Knight, went out fought and defeated Bushman more or less.

He came back to the states, fought Jack Russell the Werewolf by Night, pretty much kicked his ass, and became a superhero. He created two new identities: Steven Grant a millionaire playboy and wall-street whiz who got all the funds Spector needed for his Moon Knight operations and Jake Lockely, a street smart cabbie who could get all the underworld dirt that was needed for Moon Knight to combat crime. Then he went out and beat up badguys.

That's his basic origin, for powers he's just a regular guy, in the lines of Batman or Daredevil or any pulp hero character. So he's stronger, smarter, faster and better than anyone else, but he's not superhuman. At times he's possessed a degree of superhuman strength thanks to various means, and had some weird armor for a bit, not Iron Man type, but akin to Night Thrasher, just better than kevlar with some weird gauntlets.

Charlie Huston and Finch are bringing him back in his pure version. A guy that kicks ass and gets the job done, without any weird shit. He jumps out of a plane, and beats face and runs into a lot of trouble along the way, much as Moench originally wrote it, it seems. Later writers did lots of weird things with Moon Knight, and Huston is taking him back to where he belongs (ala Priest and Black Panther).

My advice, if you're interested in it, is to get the Essentials--or at least find it in a Boarders or Walden Books, sit down and look through it. Google is a wonderful resource, and you can PM me anytime for more info, etc.

I just hope your interest is piqued enough for you to give him a try when his new series comes out. And if you're a Taskmaster fan, Tasky should be appearing as the main villain in the first storyarc!

DarkCrawler
Defenitely picking this up.

ScarletSpider
New Huston interview. More Finch art.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=6559

Lucid Lui
This is the best i've seen Finch's art. It's looking incredible.

roughrider
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
New Huston interview. More Finch art.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=6559

It's been changed - from a six-issue miniseries, to an ongoing series? Advance reaction has been that good?
Awriiiigghht!! Happy Dance Happy Dance

Lucid Lui
More Moon Knight art.
http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/Marvel/Mondo/MK3cvrInks.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/Marvel/Mondo/MOONKN001003s.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/Marvel/Mondo/report.htm

nathan summers
Definitely gonna pick this one up. yes

MadMadTitan
B4 I buy it, mind to share some Moon Knight's powers with me first? I know he is stronger at night, but how strong? I would also like to know what kinds of weapons does MK use? Moonknight is very heat these days. Thanks!

jgiant
never really got into moon knight...but now that he has a kick ass new series comin out he looks really kick ass...maybe i'll check it out...

Marcus4600
I love the fact he's basically callling Hawkeye an ass in the beginning of the first comic. Beautiful.

jgiant
Poor hawkeye

ScarletSpider
He's only ever had superstrength a couple times, currently he doesn't. He's just a regular human with advanced training now.

He uses crescent darts (sharp crescent-shaped throwing weapons)
A truncheon/nunchaku
And a cestus--an ancient form of brass knuckles with spikes on them.

Various times throughout his history under different writers he's carried other weapons and had armor and stuff. That was pretty dumb so Moench took him back to basics in 97 or so with a couple limited series. Huston is taking off from that, acknowledging the past continuity, but doing the character correctly.

Those are what he usually carries, but being that he's a pretty filthy rich, he can get anything he wants if need be.

nathan summers
I'd like to see Panther make a cameo in Moon Knight, or visa versa. Not to have them fight but to have them work together. Afterall, they were both former Avengers. It'd be likely they'd work together.

DarkCrawler
Very nice art on this book.

SnakeEyes
I'm really thinking about getting this when it comes out.

I know very little about Moon Knight, but the art is awesome and hopefully the series will be great too.

ScarletSpider
They teamed up in Priest's Black Panther series a couple years ago, pretty good stuff.

Black Adam
Originally posted by nathan summers
I'd like to see Panther make a cameo in Moon Knight, or visa versa. Not to have them fight but to have them work together. Afterall, they were both former Avengers. It'd be likely they'd work together.

Wasn't it retconed into BP never being an avenger by hudlin?

Sir Whirlysplat
I loved the early eighties prestige Moonknight. Hope this is as good!

ScarletSpider
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/Mar_previews/march29.htm

Most of the preview's been seen before, but we're getting closer to the launch, figured I'd post the link.

ScarletSpider
First issue was out this week! Hope you all got it, seemed like a quick read, but I find that happens when I've seen half of the issue online for months. Once it was all combined looked great though, loved the inner-monologue and seeing the brief glimpses of Spector's decline. Huston definately set Moonie up in a hard place. #2 needs to get here soon!

SnakeEyes
I'll buy it soon.

I'm just now getting into characters such as Namor and Moon Knight.

They're cool, too!

ScarletSpider
Huston does a good job introducing him. Provides a nice action scene, and an inner monologue telling the reader vaguely who he is. Now he's somehow hit bottom and wants to be a hero again. Easy to jump on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.