Luke's Feet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tangible God
When Luke was hanging upside down in the Wampa's cave, his feet were apparently frozen over or stuck to, the ceiling. When he used his saber, he gave one quick swing and suddenly his feet drop free. Since lightsabers don't give off heat, it couldn't have flash-melted it, and you wouldn't think one, barely aimed swing would cut through ice so precisely as to miss his feet. Is there something else behind this amazing feat?

SpyCspider
the Force stick out tongue Answer to all SW scenes that don't make any sense.

I've always wondered since Anakin as a young boy had "quick reflexes...can see things before they happen, etc," did that mean Luke should've experienced some Jedi traits too as a child? Or had they been diluted from his mother's non-Jedi side?

wuTa
Originally posted by Tangible God
When Luke was hanging upside down in the Wampa's cave, his feet were apparently frozen over or stuck to, the ceiling. When he used his saber, he gave one quick swing and suddenly his feet drop free. Since lightsabers don't give off heat, it couldn't have flash-melted it, and you wouldn't think one, barely aimed swing would cut through ice so precisely as to miss his feet. Is there something else behind this amazing feat?

lightsabers can penetrate steel let alone ice

Cascador
Why do you think lightsabers don't give off heat? if you look in TPM, you see that Qui-Gon was melting down the blast doors in the federation ship

SpyCspider
that i've always wondered as well...

if you swing a lightsaber thru a forest, could you start a fire then?

Maybe it's a noncombustible energy source.

Oh and I think Tangible meant he sorta just swung at it, and his feet fell out of the block of ice, when it coulda actually cut his feet off as well. If he had cut just the top part, his feet would've been still incased in ice even though he wouldn't be hanging anymore.

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by Cascador
Why do you think lightsabers don't give off heat? if you look in TPM, you see that Qui-Gon was melting down the blast doors in the federation ship

And if it didn't give off heat why would Anakin's arm but burnt from where Dooku sliced it off. If it wasn't for the heat of the lightsaber Anakin and Luke would have died.

Cascador
of course it gives off heat, you don't see blood when Anakin got his arm off, cause the heat immediatly closed the wound, same with Dooku's hands, you can actually see it burns...except in ANH, but that was an error.

mace=badass
And in ESB.

steverules
Yeah when Luke cut of the wampas arm there was blood.

Tangible God
This is a problem embedded with the chronology of the movies. In the OT, whenever a lightsaber makes contact with matter, that matter doesn't burn. You don't even see any sizzled flesh or cloth.

In the PT however, everything the lightsaber touches, burns.

I mean it doesn't give off heat in the sense that, if you held your hand close enough to it, you wouldn't feel any heat coming from it, but once you touched it you would.

To restate my question, Luke just made a random swing at the ice. It wasn't controlled or disciplined, how could he have carved out the shape of both feet in one quick swing?

amity75
I read somewhere that Lukes' feet were actually encased in the wampas frozen saliva. eeeww.

Cascador
well I still stand that the heat just melted the ice or at least broke it a little and he was just careful enough not to cut off his feat.

Tangible God
That's the point. Lightsaber's HAVE officially been said to not radiate heat. And if you watch that scene again, he made one, quick, virtually random swipe, and his feet drop free. His whole foot was stuck in the ice, he would have to carve it out to drop as fast he did.

Council#13
All valid points!

I think lightsabers give off heat when they touch an object (e.g. in ROTS, right when Obi turns on his lightsaber to face Dooku, his saber was like 1 inch from himself. he should have felt the heat otherwise). When the saber touched the ice, it gave off enough heat to melt all the ice

Yes, there was a mistake how the wampa's arm was bloody, while the legs of the ackley and the arms and heads of humans were burned

Sesse
What if it's caused by somekind of friction?

As the blade humms and glows, the energy in it moves around very fast within the blade?

Like you dont get your hand wet if you keep it next to a waterfall but once you touch it, your hand gets wet.

Council#13
I think your hand would get wet if you put it next to a waterfall erm

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by steverules
Yeah when Luke cut of the wampas arm there was blood.

Maybe that was a mistake but when Luke got his hand sliced off by Vader he was bleeding

Tangible God
I see no blood whenever I watch that scene.

And I don't truly know how sabers work, but I know that they give off no heat, no matter how close you are to the blade. Heat is only added to the material it touches, AFTER it touches it, e.g. The blast doors Qui-Gon cut.

When Obi-Wan's robes were cut, no flames, no sizzling.

When both that Aqualish's and the Wampa's arm were cut, again, blood, but nothing burnt.

When Luke loses his hand, no blood, but there is charred flesh and cloth.

Only when the PT was made did they correct all these mistakes. Sabers now have a set repercussion for whenever they touch something, unlike in the OT when it seemed to vary.

Cascador
Wasn't the bleeding arm of the wampa corrected in the special edition? I'll have to watch it again

besides...your arm burns up closing the would, but that doesn't mean there won't be any blood, maybe some wounds aren't completely closed...

Tangible God
No in the Special Edition they actually add that scene with Wampa bleeding.

And true, but in terms of ESB, he wasn't bleeding.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.