male revenge

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ladygrim
Men appear to get greater satisfaction than women when witnessing retribution, research suggests.

Scientists monitored brain activity in people while they watched someone they either liked or disliked apparently suffering pain.

While women showed signs of empathy with people they both liked and disliked, men appeared to enjoy pain being inflicted on their foes.

The study, by University College London, is published in Nature.

This investigation would seem to indicate there is a predominant role for men in maintaining justice and issuing punishment
Dr Tania Singer
A series of tests was undertaken involving 32 male and female volunteers.

They were joined by four actors whose true identity was kept secret from the rest of the group.

In the first part of the experiment, the volunteers played a monetary investment game.

During this session, the actors established themselves as either likeable by playing fair, or unlikeable by holding on to money unfairly.

Electric shocks

Next, the actors apparently received mild electric shocks while the volunteers were monitored for their responses.

When the "fair" players were shocked, both female and male volunteers showed increased activity in the pain-related centres of the pain - the fronto-insular and anterior cingulate cortices.

When the "unfair" actor received a shock, the women taking part in the experiment showed a similar empathy with them.

In contrast, the male volunteers showed no increased activity in the empathy-related pain areas.

They did, however, show a surge of activity in the reward centre of the brain - the nucleus accumbens.

The researchers noted that the volunteers tended to avoid people who had cheated them, and their antipathy was confirmed by questionnaire responses.

'Sense of justice'

Lead researcher Dr Tania Singer said: "Men expressed more desire for revenge and seemed to feel satisfaction when unfair people were given what they perceived as deserved physical punishment.

"This type of behaviour has probably been crucial in the evolution of society as the majority of people in a group are motivated to punish those who cheat on the rest.

"This altruistic behaviour means that people tend to protect each other against being exploited by society's free-loaders, and evolution has probably seeded this sense of justice and moral duty into our brains."

Dr Singer said it was possible that men reacted more sharply because the punishment being meted out was physical, rather than psychological or financial."

However, she said: "This investigation would seem to indicate there is a predominant role for men in maintaining justice and issuing punishment."

Dr Colin Wilson, a neuropsychologist at Belfast's Green Park Healthcare Trust, said the findings were interesting - but much more work would be needed before one could conclude that there were profound differences between the sexes.

He said: "It might be that women tend to have more reflective, thoughtful responses, and are less likely to make quick, punitive judgements.

"But what would be really interesting would be if the same findings were found if the punishment was a social insult or a put down, rather than physical."

Bardock42
Very interesting. I can't derive a clear conclusion to be honest, but it should be looked into more, which apparently they will do.

PVS
i bet if they hooked dick cheney up to that machine it would explode

cruel jedi
laughing

ladygrim
big grin

Bardock42
Originally posted by cruel jedi
laughing Originally posted by ladygrim
big grin
smile

no expression

sad

cry

crybaby

botankus
Nice sig, LG!

Pandemoniac
This has it's origin in our more primal days, a shade of instinct still imprinted in the human mind.
The males from all primate/ape/human species have allways been the more suitable of the 2 genders when it comes to hunting, a need to be fulfilled as most of those are omnivores and so do eat meat.
The males have larger lungs, bigger and stronger muscles and a faster bloodflow, so more stamina and strength.
Nature has it's way in making a species do what it's supposed to do, and it's by rewarding it. So concerning the hunt for flesh, the male brain releases hormones and adrenaline to interest and motivate the body in capturing the prey in sight. To maintain this process, extra endorphins are released from the brain when the prey is killed; bringing a certain euphory to the hunter; a reward motivating him in hunting again.
Some of this still is active in the current human brain, giving the males a sort of satisfying sensation when they witness or cause a victim/competitor to bite the dust.

debbiejo
Originally posted by ladygrim
Men appear to get greater satisfaction than women when witnessing retribution, research suggests.

Scientists monitored brain activity in people while they watched someone they either liked or disliked apparently suffering pain.

While women showed signs of empathy with people they both liked and disliked, men appeared to enjoy pain being inflicted on their foes.

It's because in the fourth month of gestation baby boys get brain damage....That's the problem.. big grin

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
i bet if they hooked dick cheney up to that machine it would explode

lol

ladygrim
Originally posted by debbiejo
It's because in the fourth month of gestation baby boys get brain damage....That's the problem.. big grin

laughing out loud

Capt_Fantastic
I don't know about all this. I've seen some women who will go to greater lengths than you could imagine to get revenge. However, it's true that I've never seen one get as much pleasure as I have in getting revenge.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I don't know about all this. I've seen some women who will go to greater lengths than you could imagine to get revenge. However, it's true that I've never seen one get as much pleasure as I have in getting revenge.

Trust me CF is right an old GF of mine stabbed me in the hand with a barbie fork sad mad cow!!!!

Capt_Fantastic

Let me elaborate:

I've seen women go to such great lengths to get revenge, watch their plans play out to perfection, and then...just like a woman...feel bad about it afterwards.

I think that's where the difference is, that the women want it more, and then get it and feel bad about it. Men are just less sympathetic.

Sir Whirlysplat
Let me elaborate:

I've seen women go to such great lengths to get revenge, watch their plans play out to perfection, and then...just like a woman...feel bad about it afterwards.

I think that's where the difference is, that the women want it more, and then get it and feel bad about it. Men are just less sympathetic.

Trust me he's not lying many women are the devil incarnate!!

Shakyamunison
Revenge is evil, I try to stay away from it.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Revenge is evil, I try to stay away from it.

You're such a woman.

Sir Whirlysplat
I like Revenge if I can get away with it witout getting in trouble!

tabby999
i know its sadistic but seing someone i hate getting something they hate done to them makes my day. i know its not right, but i'm not the most amazingly moralistic person to begin with

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by tabby999
i know its sadistic but seing someone i hate getting something they hate done to them makes my day. i know its not right, but i'm not the most amazingly moralistic person to begin with

I like you though tabby and respect your post here wink

debbiejo
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
I like Revenge if I can get away with it witout getting in trouble! I've done it, but then laugh tooooo much about it....and it gives me away... eek!

Sir Whirlysplat
I've done it, but then laugh tooooo much about it....and it gives me away... eek!

smile I believe you Bebs wink

Hit_and_Miss
I would be interested to know how much each sex has to pissed off before they want revenge...

I've seen girls get sooo stressed over minor things.. blokes tend to not care as much..(unless its on a night out and there fueled up on the old wife beater)

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
I would be interested to know how much each sex has to pissed off before they want revenge...

I've seen girls get sooo stressed over minor things.. blokes tend to not care as much..(unless its on a night out and there fueled up on the old wife beater)

I agree eek! H and M you get it for a change - respect!

Hit_and_Miss
Ah.. whats this dazzling me!....

Oh rite... Its the light...

Yup finaly seeing it...

laughing

Sir Whirlysplat
Ah.. whats this dazzling me!....

Oh rite... Its the light...

Yup finaly seeing it...

laughing

cool have these shades!!! Yoiu deserve them!

Hit_and_Miss
Should I play up to sterotypes more in the future??? is that the key to success??

Sir Whirlysplat
Should I play up to sterotypes more in the future??? is that the key to success??

shifty perhaps wink I think you're doing good you are creating a niche and a rep!

Hit_and_Miss
I recently got a new bed.. Since then I've slept sooo much better... But ya know.. Now that i've got public aproval... Well.. I'm in paradise...

debbiejo
I don't fit the stereo type.........It takes a mountain before I'm motivated...

Sir Whirlysplat
I don't fit the stereo type.........

sad poor Bebs

I recently got a new bed.. Since then I've slept sooo much better... But ya know.. Now that i've got public aproval... Well.. I'm in paradise...

smile

debbiejo
sad It's a good thing... big grin ...It takes a lot before I get angry and seek revenge.

Jedi Priestess
Let me elaborate:

Well I agreed with this up to the feeling bad about it part. I've never felt bad about paying someone back the misery they visited upon me. Guess that makes me cold and heartless, oh well. whistle

Hit_and_Miss
I don't fit the stereo type.........It takes a mountain before I'm motivated...

WOOOT! Your the exception that proves the rule then.. Congratz!

tabby999
I like you though tabby and respect your post here wink

haha, thanks, ditto

Uberking Robert

Baby girls can't get brain damage because they don't actually grow brains. Screw you bulldyke, and you too Lil Byatchness.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Uberking Robert
Baby girls can't get brain damage because they don't actually grow brains. Screw you bulldyke, and you too Lil Byatchness. True biological function for boys though...A hormone is secreted.....too bad.

fini
LOL, thats funny Debbiejo, gonna have to see how true it is though.....

I'd say the report sounds bout right. While it is good to see people get whats coming to them, sometimes you can feel sorry for their sorry butts........well not all of the time though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.