Stories of the bible, who believes them and why?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
Having read Whob's thread on the strength of Sampson and seeing quotes as these:

Originally posted by cking
Samson had infinite strength, God could have made as strong as he wanted him to be. Could can use one man to destroy thousands of armies. one man is Gideon in judges had just 300 men that defeated over 125,000 men. Gideon had alot more men but God wanted all the men to drink from the river and some men drank with their hands, while some drank like dogs, only the 300 used their hands, the rest didn't.

Originally posted by Blair Wind
he killed 1000 men with a donkeys jawbone and ripped a lion in half. Thats gotta be ALOT of strength. I wonder how much, but I doubt anyone could ever tell

I have to ask, who believes this stuff? Doesn't anyone ever consider that these stories are slightly exagerated for effect? And if one believes they are true, then why can't they explain the total vacancy of such feats by humans in the last 1000 years when more acccurate historical records have been kept? Why haven't we heard about anyone turning into a pillar of salt, or entire cities suffering the wrath of God?

Surely the lord would have gifted someone with infinite strength like Sampson, the longevity of Moses or the engineering skills of Noah to serve his purposes in the last thousand years? Or maybe Gid just doesn't care anymore?

Or maybe these stories were not true in the first place.

Any thoughts?

whobdamandog
Well I don't believe they're anymore exaggerated than these little fables..Click on the text to get a full description of each.

Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species. How an organism's ability to adapt to its surroundings..proves that a monkey can transform into a man, and a lizard can transform into a bird.

The "science" of Cosmology.. Scientific answers as to how "something" was created from "nothing."

Parallel Universe Theory. If one can't find their sock, they should then assume it's in another Universe. This "scientific" theory give's the answer as to why one should assume this.

Aliens Created the Universe?!! According to some scientists..this would fill in many of the Gap's in Evolutionary theory. Not too fantastical of a theory at all is it?

Now if one can even entertain the possibility of any of these "scientific" theories as being true, then they should have little to no trouble believing any of the stories in the bible.

laughing

Fin.

KharmaDog
I fail to see how a man living 400 years or having infinite strength is as plausable as a theory such as the theory of evolution.

From your answer I can only believe that you really can't defend your belief, so you attack the same old arguement, that you have lost to a number of members, in order to distract readers from the topic.

I asked a sincere question, if you can't answer it, feel free not to.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I fail to see how a man living 400 years or having infinite strength is as plausable as a theory such as the theory of evolution.

Do you understand that one of the Pioneering Evolutionists/Molecular Biologists of the Century..has alluded to life originating from Space Aliens?!!

This guy goes and studies for years and years to try to disprove the existence of God, discovers the "Intelligent Design" of the DNA molecule, and then he comes up with the hypothesis..that an "Intelligent Designer" would be needed in order to start any evolutionary process!! But this Intelligent Designer couldn't be God..of course not..it would have to be Space Aliens!!! Do you truly not understand how nutz and stupid that sounds?!! laughing laughing

From your answer I can only believe that you really can't defend your belief, so you attack the same old arguement, that you have lost to a number of members, in order to distract readers from the topic.

I asked a sincere question, if you can't answer it, feel free not to.

I answered "sincerely." The "scientific" theories referenced in my previous post are much more fantastic than any story ever written in the Bible.

Moving on. I'm interested on your opinions on the Parallel Universe/Wave Duality Theory..as well as your opinions regarding Cosmology.

KharmaDog
Whob, you have reverted to your old ways here, you are trying to prove the validity of one belief by trying to attack the roots of other beliefs.

I have asked:

Who believes these stories.

Does anyone ever consider that these stories are slightly exagerated for effect?

If one is to believe they are true, then why can't they explain the total vacancy of such feats by humans in the last 1000 years when more acccurate historical records have been kept?

You in turn have attacked the validity of the theories of others in order to defend your beliefs instead of answering the questions I asked.

Stop behaving like a child. I will not be baited into an argument with you as you have shown in the past to manipulate information and outright lie in order to try and prove you point. Arguing with someone who's every point has to be researched, as they have shown a continual lack of integrity, does not interest me. If you cannot answer any of the questions raised, then don't answer.

But if you continue to try and troll or bait others into arguments that you'd rather discuss instead of the topic, you will be reported.

whobdamandog
KharmaDog. I'm asking you a simple question which relates to the topic. That question being, how are certain "scientific" theories, any more/less fantastical than biblical stories?

I gave you valid information, relating as to how critically acclaimed and respected molecular biologist, Francis Crick...has alluded to life on earth originating from "Space Aliens."

Do you believe Crick's hypothesis on life's origin is any less fantasitcial than the "Biblical" stories of Samson or Moses?

How about the Partical/Wave Duality theory? Do you believe that the behaviors of light, allude to the existence of another Universe existing?

If you do believe in these theories, please explain to me why? What makes you believe in them, particularly when there is no substantive evidence that can confirm their validity.

You still have not answered these questions my friend. Perhaps we can get to the heart of answering your questions, if you first answer mine...

Capt_Fantastic
You know, all the avoiding of the topic, babbling and failure to directly answer the question does little to cover the fact that you believe, literally, the stories and myths presented as fact in the bible.

The only reason you refuse to simply, and in a straight forward manner, answer the question is that even you know it's an embarrasment to admit to believing that people lived in a whale and lived to be 900 years old and we ALL descended from two people.

You indirectly put words in Kharmas mouth by posting the links you have. He never asked any questions regarding the theories of Darwin. Theories that have been shown to you to be outdated in terms of the modern theory of evolution. The basic truth that Darwin formulated remains time tested and scientifically validated.But, don't worry, I realize that addressing your ridiculousness is a waste of time and that my own words will be used against me to pwn me.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
You know, all the avoiding of the topic, babbling and failure to directly answer the question does little to cover the fact that you believe, literally, the stories and myths presented as fact in the bible.

Could you please answer these questions Captain?

Capt_Fantastic
Crick is an award winning scientist that made applications of the scientific method and filled in the gaps with aspects of guesses. He said that life may have had it's origins in outer space. He never made the claim that aliens dropped off life a billion years ago. In fact, many of his theories have given way to the theory of intellignet design. So, instead of presenting his theories as fodder for mockery, perhaps you should be thanking him for helping to provide bible thumpers like yourself with a basis for scientific thinking.

As for the existence of other dimensions, sure...I guess it's possible. The string theory addresses this as well, but recently it has been theorized that the string theory may not be valid, and that more than ten dimensions exist. I'm not well enough aquainted with the more modern research and theory on teh subject. As for there being no evidence to base the theories on, then you are not really reading up on these subjects. There is plenty of scientific research that has yeilded tangible evidence for the existence of other dimensions, an oscillating string in pretty substatial physical evidence.

Now, you answer the original question. Do you believe in the bibles stories. I'll make it easy for you. Yes, implies that you do. No, means you do not believe in teh bibles fables. Which is it? Or, do you intend to answer another in a long string of questions with another question?

whobdamandog

debbiejo
Of course most of the stories are not true. There may be some historical data in there and geography, Maybe even a man named Jesus, though that ties with myths of Mithra almost to a Tee. Same miracles and all....These are fables that have been handed down only the names have been changed.

leonheartmm

KharmaDog

leonheartmm
Therefore, God exists.

The reasoning for the existence of God as given by Christians can be expessed in a series of short statements followed by a conclusion. I have spent some time reviewing and condensing the various arguments for God presented in AvG. Most of the arguments fall into one or more of the argument categories listed below.

If you recognise any new argument, please post it and I will add it to the list giving you credit.

I've asked the local JW to proof read these arguments and surprisingly enough she didn't see anything wrong with the underlying logic of most of the arguments but was a little critical of the phrasing.

When we see these arguments paraphrased and listed out like this, we see the absurdity of most of the reasoning and at best some seriously flawed logic and yet Christians still use these same arguments without recognising those absurdities.

1 TRANSCENDENTAL ARGUMENT
(1) God exists.
(2) If God exists, then reason must exist.
(3) Reason exists.
(4) Therefore, God exists.

2. COSMOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
(1) If I say something must have a cause, it has a cause.
(2) I say the universe must have a cause.
(3) Therefore, the universe has a cause.

3. ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (a)
(1) I define God to be X.
(2) Since I can conceive of X, X must exist.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

4. ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (b)
(1) God exists.
(2) Since God exists, God must be perfect.
(3) That which is perfect must exist.

5. MODAL ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
(1) God exists.
(2) God, existing, is either necessary or unnecessary.
(3) God is not unnecessary, therefore God must be necessary.

6. TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
(1) Check out that tree. Isn't it pretty?
(2) Therefore, God exists.

7. ARGUMENT FROM MIRACLES
(1) My aunt Helen was most likely to die from cancer.
(2) She didn't.

8. MORAL ARGUMENT (a)
(1) Person X, a well-known atheist, was morally inferior to the rest of us.

9. MORAL ARGUMENT (b)
(1) In my younger days I was a cursing, drinking, smoking, gambling, child-molesting, thieving, murdering, bed-wetting bastard.
(2) That all changed once I became religious.

10. ARGUMENT FROM CREATION
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable

11. ARGUMENT FROM FEAR
(1) If there is no God then we're all going to die.

12. ARGUMENT FROM THE BIBLE
(1)
(2)

13. ARGUMENT FROM INTELLIGENCE
(1) Look, there's really no point in me trying to explain the whole thing to you stupid atheists -- it's too complicated for you to understand. God exists whether you like it or not.

14. ARGUMENT FROM UNINTELLIGENCE
(1) Okay, I don't pretend to be as intelligent as you guys -- you're obviously very well read. But I read the Bible, and nothing you say can convince me that God does not exist. I feel him in my heart, and you can feel him too, if you'll just ask him into your life. "For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son into the world, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish from the earth" John 3:16.

15. ARGUMENT FROM BELIEF
(1) If God exists, then I should believe in Him.
(2) I believe in God.

16. ARGUMENT FROM INTIMIDATION
(1) See this bonfire?

17. PARENTAL ARGUMENT
(1) My mommy and daddy told me that God exists.

18. ARGUMENT FROM NUMBERS
(1) Millions and millions of people believe in God.
(2) They can't all be wrong, can they?

19. ARGUMENT FROM ABSURDITY
(1) Maranathra!

20. ARGUMENT FROM ECONOMY
(1) God exists, you bastards!

21. BOATWRIGHT'S ARGUMENT
(1) Ha ha ha.

22. DORE'S ARGUMENT
(1) I forgot to take my meds.
(2) Therefore, I AM CHRIST!!

23. ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
(1) Eric Clapton is God.

24. ARGUMENT FROM INTERNET AUTHORITY
(1) There is a website that successfully argues for the existence of God.
(2) Here is the URL.

25. ARGUMENT FROM INCOMPREHENSIBILITY
(1) Flabble glurk zoom boink blubba snurgleschnortz ping!
(2) No one has ever refuted (1).

26. ARGUMENT FROM AMERICAN EVANGELISM
(1) Telling people that God exists makes me filthy rich.

27. MITCHELL'S ARGUMENT
(1) The Christian God exists.
(2) Therefore, all worldviews which don't assume the Christian God's existence are false and incomprehensible.

28. ARGUMENT FROM BLINDNESS (a)
(1) Atheists are spiritually blind.

29. ARGUMENT FROM BLINDNESS (b)
(1) God is love.
(2) Love is blind.
(3) Ray Charles is blind.
(4) Therefore, Ray Charles is God.
(5) Therefore, God exists.

30. ARGUMENT FROM FALLIBILITY
(1) Human reasoning is inherently flawed.
(2) Therefore, there is no reasonable way to challenge a proposition.
(3) I propose that God exists.

31. ARGUMENT FROM SMUGNESS
(1) God exists.
(2) I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.

32. ARGUMENT FROM META-SMUGNESS
(1) **** you.

33. ARGUMENT FROM MANIFESTATIONS
(1) If you turn your head sideways and squint a little, you can see an image of a bearded face in that tortilla.

34. SLATHER'S ARGUMENT
(1) My toaster is God.

35. ARGUMENT FROM INCOMPLETE DEVASTATION
(1) A plane crashed killing 143 passengers and crew.
(2) But one child survived with only third-degree burns.

36. ARGUMENT FROM POSSIBLE WORLDS
(1) If things had been different, then things would be different.
(2) That would be bad.

37. ARGUMENT FROM SHEER WILL
(1) I DO believe in God! I DO believe in God! I do I do I do I DO believe in God!

38. ARGUMENT FROM NONBELIEF
(1) The majority of the world's population are nonbelievers in Christianity.
(2) This is just what Satan intended.

39. ARGUMENT FROM POST-DEATH EXPERIENCE
(1) Person X died an atheist.
(2) He now realizes his mistake.

40. ARGUMENT FROM EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL
(1) God loves you.
(2) How could you be so heartless to not believe in him?

41. ARGUMENT FROM INCOHERENT BABBLE
(1) See that person spazzing on the church floor babbling incoherently?
(2) That's how infinite wisdom reveals itself.

42. OPRAH'S ARGUMENT (a)
(1) The human spirit exists.

43. OPRAH'S ARGUMENT (b)
(1) Check out this video segment.
(2) Now how can anyone watch that and NOT believe in God?

44. CALVINISTIC ARGUMENT
(1) If God exists, then he will let me watch you be tortured forever.
(2) I rather like that idea.

45. ARGUMENT FROM CROCKERY
(1) Pots don't go around giving orders to the potter.

46. ARGUMENT FROM MASS PRODUCTION
(1) Barbie dolls were created.
(2) If Barbie dolls were created, then so were trees.

47. ARGUMENT FROM PAROCHIALISM
(1) God is everywhere.
(2) We haven't been everywhere to prove he's not there.

48. ARGUMENT FROM UPPERCASE ASSERTION
(1) GOD EXISTS! GET USED TO IT!

49. ARGUMENT FROM INFINITE REGRESS
(1) Ask atheists what caused the Big Bang.
(2) Regardless of their answer, ask how they know this.
(3) Continue process until the atheist admits he doesn't know the answer to one of your questions.
(4) You win!

50. ARGUMENT FROM INCREDULITY
(1) How could God NOT exist, you bozo?

51. ARGUMENT FROM HISTORY
(1) The Bible is true.
(2) Therefore, the Bible is historical fact.

52. ARGUMENT FROM RESURRECTION
(1) Proof of God's existence will be available when you rise bodily from your grave.

53. ARGUMENT FROM BIOGENESIS
(1) Where did Adam come from, dummy?

54. ARGUMENT FROM STEADFAST FAITH
(1) A lot of really cool people believed in God their entire lives.

55. ARGUMENT FROM LONELINESS
(1) Christians say that Jesus is their best friend.
(2) I'm lonely, and I want a best friend.

56. ARGUMENT FROM ARGUMENTATION
(1) God exists.
(2)
(3) Yes he does.
(4)
(5) Yes he does!
(6)
(7) YES HE DOES!!!
(8)
(9) Therefore, God exists.

leonheartmm
57. ARGUMENT FROM CREATIVE INTERPRETATION
(1) God is:
(a) The feeling you have when you look at a newborn baby.
(b) The love of a mother for her child.
(c) That little still voice in your heart.
(d) Humankind's potential to overcome their difficulties.
(e) How I feel when I look at a sunset.
(f) The taste of ice cream on a hot day.

58. ARGUMENT FROM INSECURITY
(1) We have gone to absolutely berserk lengths to establish that atheists are laughable morons.
(1.5) Actually, we did so in the hopes of curing our own insecurities about theism -- but there's no chance in hell we'll ever admit that.
(2) Therefore, atheists are laughable morons.

59. ARGUMENT FROM SUPERIORITY
(1) If God does not exist, then I am an inferior being, since I am not "special" in a cosmic sense.
(2) But I am superior. Because I am a Christian.

60. ARGUMENT FROM PERFECTION
(1) If there are absolute moral standards, then God exists.
(2) Atheists say that there are no absolute moral standards.
(3) But that's because they don't want to admit to being sinners.
(4) Therefore, there are absolute moral standards.

61. ARGUMENT FROM HUMAN NECESSITY
(1) Atheists say that they don't need God.
(2) Which just goes to show that they need God.

62. ARGUMENT FROM HIDDEN LOGIC (a)
(1) Intellectually, I know that the existence of God is impossible, or vastly improbable.
(2) But I must put on the appearance of being cool and intellectual in front of my Christian apologist peers.
(3) Therefore, I must pretend that (1) is false.

63. ARGUMENT FROM INDULGENCE
(1) Atheists like to think that they can control their emotional desires.
(2) But they're atheists, so they can't.
(3) Therefore, atheists feel the need to indulge in whatever they feel like without worrying about committing sin.
(4) This just goes to show how they need God in their lives.

64. ARGUMENT FROM HATE
(1) Some atheists hate Christians and Christianity.
(2) That's why they don't believe in God.
(3) Pathetic, aren't they?

65. ARGUMENT FROM QUENTIN SMITH
(1) Quentin Smith says that God does not exist.
(2) But God does exist.
(3) Therefore, Quentin Smith cannot be accepted as an expert on the matter, because he is wrong.

66. ARGUMENT FROM EVIL SPIRITS
(1) I've just had contact with evil spirits.

67. ARGUMENT FROM HIDDEN LOGIC (b)
(1) Atheists say that God doesn't exist.
(2) But they only say that because they want to look cool and intellectual in front of their peers.
(3) They don't fool me!

68. ARGUMENT FROM HOVIND'S CHALLENGE
(1) Kent Hovind offers $250,000 (which may or may not exist) to anyone who can demonstrate evolution (defined as a natural, acausal origin of the universe) to a reasonable doubt (meaning with 100% certainty, allowing for no other possibilities whatsoever) in front of a neutral committee (handpicked by Hovind himself) and according to certain criteria (carefully worded so as to rule out any possibility whatsoever of the challenge ever being met).
(2) No atheist has ever met this challenge.
(3)Therefore, God exists.

69. ARGUMENT FROM INSANITY
(1) No sane person could have thought up Christianity
(2) Therefore, it must be true
(3) Therefore, God exists

ARGUMENT FROM EXHAUSTION (abridged)
(1) Do you agree with the utterly trivial proposition X?
(2) Atheist: of course.
(3) How about the slightly modified proposition X'?
(4) Atheist: Um, no, not really.
(5) Good. Since we agree, how about Y? Is that true?
(6) Atheist: No! And I didn't agree with X'!
(7) With the truths of these clearly established, surely you agree that Z is true as well?
(8) Atheist: No. So far I have only agreed with X! Where is this going, anyway?
(9) I'm glad we all agree.....
(37) So now we have used propositions X, X', Y, Y', Z, Z', P, P', Q and Q' to arrive at the obviously valid point R. Agreed?
(38) Atheist: Like I said, so far I've only agreed with X. Where is this going?
(81) So we now conclude from this that propositions L'', L''' and J'' are true. Agreed?
(82) I HAVEN'T AGREED WITH ANYTHING YOU'VE SAID SINCE X! WHERE IS THIS GOING!?
(177) ...and it follows that proposition HRV, SHQ'' and BTU' are all obviously valid. Agreed?
(178)
(179) Therefore, God exists.

71. MR. GOODSALT'S ARGUMENT (ARGUMENT FROM GENERAL INQUIRY)
(1) Question for atheist population:
(2) Your answer is wrong.

72. PEACOCK ARGUMENT FROM ORIGINALITY
(1) I have written the following to demonstrate the existence of God.
(2)

73. PEACOCK ARGUMENT FROM LIMITED VOCABULARY
(1) You use lots of big words.
(2) Therefore, I cannot possibly be expected to understand your refutation of my position.

74. PEACOCK ARGUMENT FROM SELECTIVE MEMORY
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10) Atheist, you never answered my question.
(11) Therefore, God exists.

75. ARGUMENT FROM HISTORICAL CORRELATION
(1) This historical event was recorded.
(2) The Bible mentions this event.

76. THE CLASSICAL CIRCULAR ARGUMENT
(1) We know that God exists because the Bible tells us so.
(2) We know that the Bible is true because it is the word of God

77. ARGUMENT FROM SELECTIVE CELEBRITY QUOTATION
(1) is a well known Atheist.
(2) made a comment about God.

78. ARGUMENT FROM IRRELEVANT TRIVIA
(1) The Bible was written over a period of 1500 years.
(2) Many people from varied backgrounds wrote the Bible.
(3) Lots of copies of the Bible have been sold

leonheartmm
as i was sayin..........................

debbiejo
OH.....this is great!!... laughing out loud
I have heard many of these too.......

These are popular:

74. PEACOCK ARGUMENT FROM SELECTIVE MEMORY
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10) Atheist, you never answered my question.
(11) Therefore, God exists.

61. ARGUMENT FROM HUMAN NECESSITY
(1) Atheists say that they don't need God.
(2) Which just goes to show that they need God.

6. TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
(1) Check out that tree. Isn't it pretty?

7. ARGUMENT FROM MIRACLES
(1) My aunt Helen was most likely to die from cancer.
(2) She didn't.
(3) Therefore, God exists. <------of course I've heard this like a zillion times.

How about:

God wrote the Bible
Therefore, god exists.

whobdamandog
Enough trying to derail the thread.

My thoughts exactly. It's quite obvious that the thread was essentially started for the purpose of trolling anyway. You even went as far as lying about me being the originator of the Samson thread, which as all can see by clicking on the link below..is an obvious untruth.

Karma's statement:

Proof that he is lying:

KHARMA DOG PROVES HIMSELF TO BE A LIAR.

This thread is obviously based on a lie..and with that being stated, you've essentially damaged all of your credibility regarding the seriousness of said topic.

Is this how you defend your beliefs?

Is this how you defend yours? Let me repost a theory from Francis Crick..that you seemed to have so "inconspicuously" skipped over..wink

Note: Crick is a Molecular Biologist. He is also an ATHEIST..like yourself. He also believes in the theory of EVOLUTION..like yourself.

Like many Atheists..he also subscribes to the belief that PARALLEL UNIVERSES exist..based on the Wave/Duality theory.

Are these theories any less "believable" than the stories referenced in the Bible? I don't believe so..but as it goes within most modern societies, you are indeed entitled to have your faith, just like I am entitled to have mine.

You weren't asked what you don't believe, and the dig you took at homosexuals (which I believe was directed at Capt.) was offensive, unnecessary and reported.

KarmaDog you've insulted Christians throughout this entire thread. You have even lied about myself starting another thread, in an attempt to get your point across. I believe only one of us is truly deserving of getting reprimanded for antagonizing/malicious behavior my friend, and that person definitely wouldn't be me...wink

How nice, now what are your beliefs to the original questions pertaining to this thread?

Answer:

Take care my friend..and God Bless.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by whobdamandog
My thoughts exactly. It's quite obvious that the thread was essentially started for the purpose of trolling anyway. You even went as far as lying about me being the originator of the Samson thread, which as all can see by clicking on the link below..is an obvious untruth.

Karma's statement:

Proof that he is lying:

This thread is obviously based on a lie..and with that being stated, you've essentially damaged all of your credibility regarding the seriousness of said topic.

Is this how you defend yours? Let me repost a theory from Francis Crick..that you seemed to have so "inconspicuously" skipped over..wink

Note: Crick is a Molecular Biologist. He is also an ATHEIST..like yourself. He also believes in the theory of EVOLUTION..like yourself.

Like many Atheists..he also subscribes to the belief that PARALLEL UNIVERSES exist..based on the Wave/Duality theory.

Are these theories any less "believable" than the stories referenced in the Bible? I don't believe so..but as it goes within most modern societies, you are indeed entitled to have your faith, just like I am entitled to have mine.

KarmaDog you've insulted Christians throughout this entire thread. You have even lied about myself starting another thread, in an attempt to get your point across. I believe only one of us is truly deserving of getting reprimanded for antagonizing/malicious behavior my friend, and that person definitely wouldn't be me...wink

Answer:

lmao this is AWESOME, u just proved atleast four of the points in the list i gave in trying to validate ur wrong point of view.

Mindship
Multiverse Argument: FOR
1. There is an infinite number of universes.
2. Sooner or later, in that infinite array, there will be a cosmos where God came into being.
3. If God exists in that universe, then God (being God) must've always existed.

Multiverse Argument: AGAINST
1. There is an infinite number of universes.
2. Sooner or later, in that infinite array, there will be a cosmos where conditions are just perfect for life as we know it (hence, here we are).
3. God, as a cause for all these perfect conditions, is therefore unnecessary.

leonheartmm
lol, both of the arguments above me deny the presence of GOD, if there were multiple universes n god resided in just ONE he wouldnt be omnipotent nor omniscient, since he is neither the creater or sustainer of ALL{since one universe ISNT all} nor does he KNOW everything.

Capt_Fantastic

Even wikipedia knows you're full of shit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Crick

As for the tangible evidence, I made it clear that I was talking about the string theory. What does this look like in three dimensions: >< ?

KharmaDog

Proof that he is lying:

My mistake, I should have said,"Having read Whob's post in the thread on the strength of Sampson and seeing quotes as these: ". That is not a lie, that is a small mistake. This thread is not based on a lie because the Sampson's strength thread and the posts in it are what aroused the questions that I asked in this thread. Your attack on me an attempt to provoke me are both sad and pathetic.

When did I say I was an atheist? And I doubt Crick and I are very much alike at all. Even if I were an atheist, are all atheists the same? If you believe that than you must think that all christians are the same? That is a simple way of thinking.

Once again you resort to trying to put words in peoples' mouths or intentionally trying to misrepresent or just make up facts. Pathetic, and a sad trolling attempt...again.

Are these theories any less "believable" than the stories referenced in the Bible? I don't believe so

And what is this belief based on? That is the main gist of this whole thread. How can you justify a belief in these stories?

Where did I insult christians in this thread? I have questioned the belief in, and the plausibility of, some of the stories in the bible. A priest once told me that a good christian should question their faith every day in order to answer it and reaffirm it. Are you that pious not to question your faith?

ANd I did not lie about you starting the other thread, that was a mistake. If you want an example of an outright lie or manipulation of information for personal gain in leverage, I could pull up some examples of your handiwork in the recent past.

You are a troll. You insult when your chips are down. You are malicious. You lie and deceive, and you intentionally derail threads. That is the legacy you have left on KMC, do not compare me to that.

I am not your friend. And if you are a christian, you are a very hypocritical one.

Now...does anyone answer these questions?

Does anyone ever consider that these stories are slightly exaggerated for effect?

If one is to believe they are true, then why can't they explain the total vacancy of such feats by humans in the last 1000 years when more accurate historical records have been kept?

leonheartmm
My mistake, I should have said,"Having read Whob's post in the thread on the strength of Sampson and seeing quotes as these: ". That is not a lie, that is a small mistake. This thread is not based on a lie because the Sampson's strenght thread and the posts in it are what aroused the questions that I asked in this thread. Your attack on me an attempt to provoke me are both sad and pathetic.

When did I say I was an athiest? And I doubt CCrick and I are very much alike at all. Even if I were an athiest, are all atheists the same? If you believe that than you must think that all christians are the same? That is a simple way of thinking.

Once again you resort to trying to put words in peoples' mouths or intentionally trying to misrepresent or just make up facts. Pathetic, and a sad trolling attempt...again.

And what is this belief based on? That is the main gist of this whole thread. How can you justify a belief in these stories?

Where did I insult christians in this thread? I have questioned the belief in, and the plausibility of, some of the stories in the bible. A priest once told me that a good christian should question thier faith every day in order to answer it and reaffirm it. Are you that pious not to question your faith?

ANd I did not lie about you starting the other thread, that was a mistake. If you want an example of an outright lie or manipulation of information for personal gain in leverage, I could pull up some examples of your handiwork in the recent past.

You are a troll. You insult when your chips are down. You are malicious. You lie and decieve, and you intentionally derail threads. That is the legacy you have left on KMC, do not compare me to that.

I am not your friend. Anf if you are a christian, you are a very hypocritcal one.

Now...does anyone answer these questions?

Does anyone ever consider that these stories are slightly exagerated for effect?

If one is to believe they are true, then why can't they explain the total vacancy of such feats by humans in the last 1000 years when more acccurate historical records have been kept?

let it go kharma, both him n relegion r full of shit{the later we always KNEW}

Mindship
Originally posted by leonheartmm
lol, both of the arguments above me deny the presence of GOD, if there were multiple universes n god resided in just ONE he wouldnt be omnipotent nor omniscient, since he is neither the creater or sustainer of ALL{since one universe ISNT all} nor does he KNOW everything.

That's why I wrote "God (being God)" suggesting that IF an omnipotent being existed in one universe, then by virtue of being omnipotent, he would exist in ALL universes; indeed, he would have always been.

There is, in fact, a far more fundamental way to see the FOR argument as an AGAINST argument, but I just wanted to post some additions to the arguments already up.

KharmaDog
let it go kharma, both him n relegion r full of shit{the later we always KNEW}

Actually I have nothing against religion or those who practise religion. I do have something against people who prescribe to a particular religion but pick and choose how they want to abide by it, those who act completely opposite to what their beliefs dictate or those who manipulate the the religious belief system of others for their own personal gain or ego.

I am interested in why some people believe what they believe. I have talked long with muslims, budhists and traditional native american spiritual leaders among others, and without a doubt there has been more intolerance, ignorance and hostility from christians than others when dicussing or quesitoning their beliefs. Not to say all christians are like that, many have been open to discussion and civil. However, whob's behaviour, though not indicitive of christianity, is defianitely commonly encountered among the christian population.

leonheartmm
Actually I have nothing against religion or those who practise religion. I do have something against people who prescribe to a particular religion but pick and choose how they want to abide by it, those who act completely opposite to what their beliefs dictate or those who manipulate the the religious belief system of others for their own personal gain or ego.

I am interested in why some people believe what they believe. I have talked long with muslims, budhists and traditional native american spiritual leaders among others, and without a doubt there has been more intolerance, ignorance and hostility from christians than others when dicussing or quesitoning their beliefs. Not to say all christians are like that, many have been open to discussion and civil. However, whob's behaviour, though not indicitive of christianity, is defianitely commonly encountered among the christian population.

sigh, where do u live? i bet u live in a liberal place, sorta on the SIDELINES, n look at the world objectively, once u actually live in som of the worst places in the world n have suffered the stinge of utterly ridiculous n evil relegious teachings n seen them dictate ur life, society n ur mind, u come to hate relegion n see it for what it is, so yea i say it, christians n muslims r full of SHIT. {btw, seein as u dontlive in a fundamentalist society or whatever, the things uve hheard about relegion r definately whitewashed, manipulated facts, tryin to make the belief sound reasonable n good to u{since u dont know what it really is} the truth is far more ugly.

debbiejo
People should research their faith, unfortunately, that's when people find the truth, though there are good people of all faiths, they are few and far between....too judgemental...

KharmaDog
sigh, where do u live? i bet u live in a liberal place, sorta on the SIDELINES, n look at the world objectively, once u actually live in som of the worst places in the world n have suffered the stinge of utterly ridiculous n evil relegious teachings n seen them dictate ur life, society n ur mind, u come to hate relegion n see it for what it is, so yea i say it, christians n muslims r full of SHIT. {btw, seein as u dontlive in a fundamentalist society or whatever, the things uve hheard about relegion r definately whitewashed, manipulated facts, tryin to make the belief sound reasonable n good to u{since u dont know what it really is} the truth is far more ugly.

What you have described is people who prescribe to a particular religion but pick and choose how they want to abide by it, those who act completely opposite to what their beliefs dictate or those who manipulate the the religious belief system of others for their own personal gain or ego , not religion itself. There is a difference.

leonheartmm
What you have described is people who prescribe to a particular religion but pick and choose how they want to abide by it, those who act completely opposite to what their beliefs dictate or those who manipulate the the religious belief system of others for their own personal gain or ego , not religion itself. There is a difference.

no no, the people im talkin about dont do it for personal gain, they do it to make their releion more acceptable to the newly convert, i mean a muslim preching wont tell u that the punishment for premarital sex is stoning to death and a hundred lashes or that u can beat ur wife in islam or that ur wife and ur childrne are ur property, or that islam lets u keep slaves n the list goes on, theyd just teach u about LOVE n what not, n say that god loves u, he cares for u more than the world, blah blah blah. its all bullshit.

Capt_Fantastic
Actually, I am of the opinion that people who are the loudest at exhaulting their own religion and most condemning of others, are the very people who believe the specifics of their religion the least. The louder you are and the more you condemn other, the less tangible confidence you have in your descision to follow that religion. Paranoia is most often brought on by condemning oneself, not from others condemning you.

leonheartmm
Actually, I am of the opinion that people who are the loudest at exhaulting their own religion and most condemning of others, are the very people who believe the specifics of their religion the least. The louder you are and the more you condemn other, the less tangible confidence you have in your descision to follow that religion. Paranoia is most often brought on by condemning oneself, not from others condemning you.

at a personal level, YES, but in relegions like islam, a person is actually ENCOURAGED to do that n that masks the doubt in a person.

KharmaDog

I agree. Those who cry th loudest usually have the least to say.

Blair Wind
Well its nice to know that one of my posts came to bear the fruitation of this thread. However I am not as you say a "cryer" and while not try to convert you if you believe in total randomness as the cause of our being able to be here to discuss these things. I however choose to believe that a creator created me, and that the things in the Bible have more historical evidence than the other religions provided around the world. It is also the most well known and sold book in the world. While many of you may not agree, well it is your choice, because as of today neither side can be totally proven. This thread will go on in circles in the way it is going on now, neither side has absolute proof. I just like my odds more.

whobdamandog
I agree. Those who cry th loudest usually have the least to say.

Don't you all just love irony and poetic justice? roll eyes (sarcastic)laughing

Fin

KharmaDog
Don't you all just love irony and poetic justice? roll eyes (sarcastic)laughing

Fin

I guess you attempted a jab because you had nothing of importance to contribute. Although when I make a jab at someone (as I have been known to do) my statements are either humorous or an observation based on what everyone can see.

Your statement was neither humorous, and as anyone can see, you are the person who has not only been acting rather ridiculously, but rather pathetically.

But say what you will...now post a smilie, delcare a vacant victory and go about your merry way. (by the way, there was no irony in the statement that you quoted, nor was there poetic justice. However, your post fullfilled those requirements with exellence!)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.