Graphics card

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Of Evil II
Hi I am thinking of updating my graphics card. I would like to know what 64Mb 128MB and so on means. Is it the higher the better or what?

I would also like to know what graphics card I am currently using but I don't know how to do this. Could someone please explain?

Does anyone have reccommend what one I should purchase?

I have a 2.53Ghz processor.

Windows XP Pro

30Gb hard drive (Be aware that I am getting 200Gb)

Thanks in advance

KENobi™
How much RAM do you have?

Koala MeatPie
Get no less then 512 mb Graphics card.
Thats how much RAM the card has.
If available, get an 8x card (speed)

Make sur you're comptuer has PCI express capable, if not, Get a new motherboard, or get an AGP card.

I Trust ATI more the nVidia.

With ATI, you want a killer cad, get an ATI x800 or x900.

Time Of Evil II
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
Get no less then 512 mb Graphics card.
Thats how much RAM the card has.
If available, get an 8x card (speed)

Make sur you're comptuer has PCI express capable, if not, Get a new motherboard, or get an AGP card.

I Trust ATI more the nVidia.

With ATI, you want a killer cad, get an ATI x800 or x900.

OK. Thanks.

How do I find out whether I have PCI express capabilities? I am also on a tight budget and so I am looking for the best possible for a low price.

If I were to need a new motherboard how much would it cost and what is an AGP card, what does it do and how much would it cost me?

Time Of Evil II

Fire
celerons used to have a bad reputation dunno if it has improved lately.

if you want a good card, for a fair budget the X800 is a great card, IMO it's better to spend money on a more advanced chipset than on more memory.

Time Of Evil II

Fire
forget it, you can't get any decent card for that price man

Time Of Evil II
Originally posted by Fire
forget it, you can't get any decent card for that price man

Look I am not looking for something which will blow my mind away. I just want a card which isn't all pixelated like the one I am currently using.

How do I find out which one I am using now, actually?

Fire
which OS are you using Windows I suppose. Go to control panel then choose systems, in systems take the tab Hardware, then take the option Device Manager.

check for something called Display Adapters in it, click that, and then you get the name and model of your current card.

Time Of Evil II
I am using Intel 82865G graphics controller. I'm guessing that it is rubbish seeing as I got it with the computer?

If so then anything is better than what I am experiencing. I know you are probably used to top quality graphics but to be honest I just want to get the really bad pixel problem away.

Have you got any suggestions to a good BUDGET graphics card?

Fire
I'll have a look but 60 quid still isn't much.

I myself use a Radeon 9600PRO (long overdue for an update) but it can still play most games, that one costs around a 100 quid at amazon ATM.
However they sell the 9600 at around 60 quid, IMO I'd pay the extra 40.

Then again Amazon is prolly not the cheapest shop, but it's the only uk online shop I know so

Time Of Evil II
Originally posted by Fire
I'll have a look but 60 quid still isn't much.

I myself use a Radeon 9600PRO (long overdue for an update) but it can still play most games, that one costs around a 100 quid at amazon ATM.
However they sell the 9600 at around 60 quid, IMO I'd pay the extra 40.

Then again Amazon is prolly not the cheapest shop, but it's the only uk online shop I know so

There is a reliable japanese import online store. www.lik-sang.com

Sources tell me it's reliable.

Time Of Evil II
Sorry just realised that it doesn't sell graphics cards.

Time Of Evil
How do I find out whether I have a PCI or agp card

Koala MeatPie
You have to know you're motherboard.

AGP slot looks Like a long brown - grey Slot - line, and has a tab at the end that holds the card inplace.

You HAVE to Have the Normal PCI, its thoes short white slots that are seperated in one Long hole an one shorter hole.

I do not know How PCI express looks like.

Koala MeatPie
Here Look: (read above first)

#1- AGP
#2- PCI
#3- PCI Express

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.