how old is the world

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

malachi12

AOR
Yet geologists can prove the earth to be more than 65 billion years old...

What you talking about malachi?

Shakyamunison
~4.5 billion years old. The universe? ~13 billion years old.

malachi12
They are lyers....

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by malachi12
They are lyers....

You are ignorant.

markie
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You are ignorant. I'm m not saying he's right but evidence can be created or falsified in order to prove a point. I agree that it is at least 4 bilion years old.

markie
Originally posted by AOR
Yet geologists can prove the earth to be more than 65 billion years old...

What you talking about malachi? I don't think they can prove it's that old. http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/oldest_planet_030710-1.html
Astronomers have discovered the oldest known planet, a primeval world 12.7 billion years old that will force them to reconsider how and when planets form. The discovery raises the prospect that life may have begun far sooner than most scientists ever imagined.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by markie
I don't think they can prove it's that old. http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/oldest_planet_030710-1.html
Astronomers have discovered the oldest known planet, a primeval world 12.7 billion years old that will force them to reconsider how and when planets form. The discovery raises the prospect that life may have begun far sooner than most scientists ever imagined.

You know I have a thought along those line that you might find interesting. A little off topic, but forgive me.

What if life did not start here, what if life came here through space?

xmarksthespot
The number 12 itself is commonly used to measure periods of time. For example:
12 hours in a day, 12 at night, 12 months a year, 12 zodiac signs and 12 tribes of Ysrael.There are 24 hours in an Earth rotation. Months are not units of time. A zodiac sign is not a period of time, nor is a tribe.

Tptmanno1
Exactly, and the dates in the bible have been proven to be bullshit.
Something like a growthrate of over 45 million people a year after Noah's flood...

xmarksthespot
Descended from incest...

fini
it IS about 4.5 billion years old, lol SHAKY again, i gotta agree with you, hehehe, we're on a roll sweatheart. stick out tongue

And they have not used carbon dating to prove the age of the planet, carbon dating doesn't go that FAR BACK. It does fine for dating biological items, but the earth is not biological.

The tested the age of rocks on the moon, to determine the age of the earth.

There is no way the earth is 12000 yrs old, how on earth can u explain prehistoric man, the ice age( the most recent one), dinosaurs????????????? WHy dont the bible have those??? HUH?? Or are we being lied too about that???
Dude again and again, I will say use your brain to THINK! and see truths fr yourself.

Arachnoidfreak
haha, that's true, I've never seen a dinosaur mentioned once in the Bible , but we have their fossils everywhere.

I'd think even those idiots writing the Bible would have noticed 30 ft tall walking and roaring lizards.

finti
how old is the world old!

Mindship
What I've always found fascinating is that the universe (as far as science can tell us) is "just" 13-14 billion years old. Think about it. The Universe--supposedly all there is--has an age that is rather easily grasped. 14 billion isn't that huge a number; heck, there are people with more money that that.

Yes, yes, I know about all the theories of cosmic cycles and multiple universes, etc etc. But limiting the scope of this thread just to what we can see...only 14 gigayears...remarkable.

Speaking of newer theories: with the universe in accelerating expansion, some believe it will eventually become so old (and desolate) that any intelligence which may still be around (say, when the cosmos is a billion times its current age), that they will look back and regard us as basking in the warm afterglow of the Big Bang.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
...Speaking of newer theories: with the universe in accelerating expansion, some believe it will eventually become so old (and desolate) that any intelligence which may still be around (say, when the cosmos is a billion times its current age), that they will look back and regard us as basking in the warm afterglow of the Big Bang.

I have heard that at that time black holes will shine like stars.

finti
14 billion is a huge number, why dont you count to 14 billion then you`ll maybe grasp how huge of a number it is.......................... and when it comes to years it is a extremly huge number

Mindship
Originally posted by finti
14 billion is a huge number, why dont you count to 14 billion then you`ll maybe grasp how huge of a number it is.......................... and when it comes to years it is a extremly huge number

Oh, it is a huge number on human scale...but again, when applied to the Universe, the Whole Enchalada, something like 10^115 years seems more fitting.
And (supposedly) one day when the Universe is that age, by comparison 14 billion years will be seen as the eye-blink it really is.

Mindship
I have heard that at that time black holes will shine like stars.

Stephen Baxter, in his novel Manifold: Time, sends his squid-astronaut character into the far, far, far, far...far, far future. Cool stuff.

debbiejo
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Descended from incest... eek!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Something like a growthrate of over 45 million people a year after Noah's flood...

That must of been quite a party. laughing

fini
and we missed it, Dammit, we were born too late for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regulus A Black

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regulus A Black
well the problem you have here is you have from the 1st day to Adam, then Adam to the Flood, we don't know how long Adam was in the Garden

That's not the only problem...

malachi12
dinosaurs is on the bible

leonheartmm

dude ur full of crap.

markie
Originally posted by debbiejo
eek! Well at least they were people, who else are they going to do it with?

markie
Originally posted by leonheartmm
dude ur full of crap. In job they're called behamoths and libiathans.

finti
and on PBS it is they are called Barney, BJ and Baby Bop

debbiejo
The singing dino..... sick

malachi12
It's not my fualt that I'm a scholar

fini
huh???

a scholar in what field ???

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by fini
huh???

a scholar in what field ???

A scholar in his own mind. laughing

fini
ahhh makes sence my brilliant friend
hehe

debbiejo
Originally posted by fini
huh???

a scholar in what field ??? Left field.........j/k

sorry. embarrasment

overlord
In the 17th century a.d., arch bishop usher of Armagh calculated that the world began 6000 years ago. He was half fight.
Just imagine how many people immediately believed him! evil face

fini
about the same amount who thought the world is flat.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Tptmanno1

An excellent point that has been ignored by anyone supporting the idea that the earth is only 6000 years old.

No they are not.

It's not my fualt that I'm a scholar

A scholar would have a basic grasp of grammar, spelling or the use of spellcheck. You lack the ability to apply any of these basic components to your statements, I doubt you are a scholar. In fact, I doubt you were even paying attention in 5th grade English.

debbiejo
Originally posted by markie
Well at least they were people, who else are they going to do it with? Well you got the angels having sex with humans to make giants.......tell me how that's done....a spiritual being made of pure energy and humans so dense.......How would one be able to procreate one with another, if one is of spirit, and the other not....It would be like air having sex with you.....

KharmaDog
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well you got the angels having sex with humans to make giants.

Can I ask where you got this reference?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by KharmaDog

It's in the bible... there is a lot of sh*t in there. laughing

debbiejo

Gen 6:1 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare to them, the same mighty men which of old, men of renown.

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man great in the earth, and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart only evil continually.

Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

These verses are taught in MOST denominations that the sons of god were angels having sex with the women of the earth which resulted in giants such as Goliath.........It is commonly taught that god sent the flood on the earth to wipe them out except Noah, because he was pure in his generations.

Shakyamunison
^ I told you so... big grin

=Mysta=-kILL
ok, I see that most of you here think that the Bible is bogus and contains many flaws, but how many of you believe in evolution? Evolution has far more "flaws" than the Bible has, just do research, evoulution makes no sense at all if you think about it. The brain alone is so complex that it could not be created by chance, it had to have a maker, the brain is so complex that you would have a better chance of a computer growing out of the ground!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by =Mysta=-kILL
ok, I see that most of you here think that the Bible is bogus and contains many flaws, but how many of you believe in evolution? Evolution has far more "flaws" than the Bible has, just do research, evoulution makes no sense at all if you think about it. The brain alone is so complex that it could not be created by chance, it had to have a maker, the brain is so complex that you would have a better chance of a computer growing out of the ground!

Nothing happens by chance. You most likely know nothing about evolution. I do not believe the bible is bogus, I think the people who take the bible literally are missing the truth in the bible and are lost in dilution.

debbiejo
ok, I see that most of you here think that the Bible is bogus and contains many flaws, but how many of you believe in evolution? Evolution has far more "flaws" than the Bible has, just do research, evoulution makes no sense at all if you think about it. The brain alone is so complex that it could not be created by chance, it had to have a maker, the brain is so complex that you would have a better chance of a computer growing out of the ground! I didn't say there was not some intelligence, not at all.

=Mysta=-kILL

Shakyamunison

=Mysta=-kILL
ok you say, "The universe has always been and will always be." I find it kind of ignorant to believe that the universe has just always been, it was never created. Lets just ask the question,"What if God doesnt exist?" Wouldnt that mean the world is pointless? you could do whatever you want to and think nothing of it. You could kill someone and have no cares because life doesnt matter. But thats the thing, life does matter, that is why the world as not already resorted to chaos, because of the exsistence of God. But there will be a revalation, when God comes back and takes his followers to heaven with him, and chaos will control the world.

Shakyamunison
ok you say, "The universe has always been and will always be." I find it kind of ignorant to believe that the universe has just always been, it was never created. Lets just ask the question,"What if God doesnt exist?" Wouldnt that mean the world is pointless? you could do whatever you want to and think nothing of it. You could kill someone and have no cares because life doesnt matter. But thats the thing, life does matter, that is why the world as not already resorted to chaos, because of the exsistence of God. But there will be a revalation, when God comes back and takes his followers to heaven with him, and chaos will control the world.

Well, you believe God has no beginning or end. I believe the universe is God and that God is not outside of us and the universe. Time is space and space has no end.

Your line of logic is flawed, there is cause and effect, karma.

=Mysta=-kILL
Well, you believe God has no beginning or end. I believe the universe is God and that God is not outside of us and the universe. Time is space and space has no end.

Your line of logic is flawed, there is cause and effect, karma.
How is my line of logic flawed? God is the cause, and the world is the effect.

Shakyamunison
How is my line of logic flawed? God is the cause, and the world is the effect.

You are talking about God as if God was outside of yourself. God is inside of each of us. There is no, God separate of "the big everything" and no "the big everything" separate of God.

Mindship
The Earth is 4.5 billion years old. However: it took about 6000 years to make it flat.
Mystery solved.

=Mysta=-kILL
You are talking about God as if God was outside of yourself. God is inside of each of us. There is no, God separate of "the big everything" and no "the big everything" separate of God.
Well of course God is inside of us all, that is if you have excepted him inside of you, it is then that God lives in your heart.
God is not of the world, the world is his creation, he lives in Heaven, a place that cannot be described as part of the world.

Arachnoidfreak

KharmaDog
Well of course God is inside of us all, that is if you have excepted him inside of you, it is then that God lives in your heart.
God is not of the world, the world is his creation, he lives in Heaven, a place that cannot be described as part of the world.

Who said god was a masculine being. In fact if there is a god, why are you calling it a he instead of an it?

=Mysta=-kILL
God isnt a Sexual being, but in the Bible it says he created man in his image, so I assume he is a man.

KharmaDog
God isnt a Sexual being, but in the Bible it says he created man in his image, so I assume he is a man.

It would not be a man. If it were a man, then it would not be a god.

People wrote the bible and were orientated to believe that God was a man because women weren't worth dirt.

=Mysta=-kILL
It would not be a man. If it were a man, then it would not be a god.

People wrote the bible and were orientated to believe that God was a man because women weren't worth dirt.
Actually not true, God is not human therefor cannot be called any sex, but he did make Adam in his image, and Adam was a man.

Shakyamunison

There is your flaw, God cannot be outside of us, and this is heaven or hell if you wish it to be.

Shakyamunison
Actually not true, God is not human therefor cannot be called any sex, but he did make Adam in his image, and Adam was a man.

By interpreting the bible literally you have come up with hogwash. The truth in the bible is hidden; it is in the myth and how the myth changes you. This is how all books of truth were written in those days.

debbiejo
God isnt a Sexual being, but in the Bible it says he created man in his image, so I assume he is a man. The OT calls god Elohim...meaning IT..no gender.
People wrote the bible and were orientated to believe that God was a man because women weren't worth dirt. Exactly, the Patriarchal system felt women were evil, and the church carried this through history. Originally many believes were of goddess and or both male and female gods.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.