Xbox360 Overheating - MS Releases 2nd Gen. Model

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
seems that microsoft equipped the 360 with a
less than efficient system of cooling and all many have
had problems. if you bought your system before mid-january,
you may have been a bit screwed. xbox has recently
released a second generation model with a 'better' cooling.

if you recieved a media remote control included with your xbox,
then you have the old model.

dont panic though, since many owners of first generation models
have reported no problems, but still...just because the game is not
actually freezing and crashing does not mean that its not going through
intense wear and tear. make sure you keep it in a well ventilated area,
and there will also be an available external cooling fan which connects to
the console, which certainly cant hurt.

and while i made this thread, let me just ask this.
has anyone wondered why they designed the 360 to also
stand upright, and yet part of the ventilation system is on the
bottom of the console, thus being blocked when you stand it up?

p.s. i searched and found no topic on this, so please no bitching smile

El_NINO
Do you know what they model number of each console is?

PVS
no i do not

all i know is that the 2nd gen does not come with the media remote.

Refused
This is why i hate MS. wink

Time Of Evil
Originally posted by Refused
This is why i hate MS. wink

Why are they using DVD's?

Are they planning to release another generation of 360's where they have an updated disk which can store more space like Blu Ray which sony are using for the PS3.

SaTsuJiN
cuz blu ray will be costly for sony to make, since its not as cheap to manufacture as dvd's are (and certainly not as widely used, which is why 'everyone' can enjoy burning dvd's at this point in time). So I'm pretty sure thats why MS is sticking with dvd's for now...

I hope theres a price drop soon sad

JKozzy
Originally posted by Time Of Evil
Why are they using DVD's?

Are they planning to release another generation of 360's where they have an updated disk which can store more space like Blu Ray which sony are using for the PS3. They already announced an HD-DVD addon but not for gaming, it'd only be for movies they said. This way it's not a required peripheral for some games. But I think that'll eventually change. Regardless, if these consoles are said to last for ten+ years, DVD-ROM was a bad choice, imo.

Arahan
Microsoft sucks. Next they will bring a new more
hardwarepowered version and call it X-Box 360 XP Professional.

Cyber Ninja
Stop bitching..the ps3 and rev didn't come out yet so you don't know if it blows up when you turn on the power. The psp from sony had a ****ed up square button and dead pixels on the screen

Arahan
Well it is not only the console I dont like anything from Microsoft.
Call me a MS Hater big grin

Ast
I got my 360 on 12/23, and it has been played extensivly, so far no console problems and my discs look good as new. So as it stands today, Im happy. stick out tongue

DarkC
This is why I always wait to buy new systems. At least for one year.

El_NINO
Originally posted by DarkC
This is why I always wait to buy new systems. At least for one year.

I have to agree with you. Reason why is because any new console will certainly have like 1 or 2 bugs in it, then after about 4 to 6 months later they release a new version with fixed problems and maybe some add-ons to it. Also price wont be as much.

SaTsuJiN
Heh.. I saw PDZ at my friends house today, and I cant believe people are calling the visuals sub-par of next gen.. it has motion blur and everything

PVS
i think the 360 is outstanding. however, i do hope sony and/or nintendo blow them out of the water, simply because i want more. it seems that this time around they are actually competing and pushing the envelope instead of just matching the market standard of the first next gen system to be released, so im expecting great things...from nintendo at least.

Refused
I'm an MS hater because their hunger for money is holding technology back. They have a buggy as hell operating system and there's way better operating systems out there that actually work and support 64 bit and 8 core processors. But of course people will keep buying anything MS so i justed wasted my time typing this anyway. Just ignore this <Sigh>

El_NINO
I'm an MS hater because their hunger for money is holding technology back. They have a buggy as hell operating system and there's way better operating systems out there that actually work and support 64 bit and 8 core processors. But of course people will keep buying anything MS so i justed wasted my time typing this anyway. Just ignore this <Sigh>

UBUNTU Linux is very good, so is SuSe, Fedora, MAC...etc. If you know how to run these OS's then use them but I must say, just to get a PC game running on those are very hard, which is why MS leads the way, 1 click and thats it.

Refused
But that's what i'm saying, if these OS's were popular then more developers would make software that supports it and we'd be set but sadly, i don't think MS is going to lose the throne anytime soon.

And also i've read that MS has a deal with Intel which is why MS doesn't make an OS running on different architecture because that would mean Intel's demise. So Intel is partly the one to blame also.

SaTsuJiN
Are these game developers really filling entire DVDs with game content?.. (not counting cutscenes)

cuz I have the feeling blu-ray wont be used fully either

DeathByPencil
Wow, I feel stiffed.

I suppose it was only common sense to wait for a second revision....oh well, mine hasn't had any heat issues yet....no expression

IcePunk
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
cuz I have the feeling blu-ray wont be used fully either
Yeah, it would take about ten years to fill one with good gaming content.

El_NINO
Originally posted by IcePunk

Im pretty sure game developers arent retarted enough to take so long to put a solid game together. If it takes 10 years then PS3 is finished dont you think?

Arahan
Well 10 year is a bit too long. I think there will be only a few games which will fill the BR-Disc. Games like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear including cinematic movies, high quality Sounds etc. This could happen after 5 years.

IcePunk
Originally posted by IcePunk
But that solely depends on the game developers, if they want to make really really good game no matter what or if they want to be with the game as quickly as possible which would probably result in a crap a s s game, dont you think?

Refused
People are saying all this shit about it being hard to develop for the PS3, guess what, they said the same for the PS2 which was big leap from the PS1.

IcePunk
People are saying all this shit about it being hard to develop for the PS3, guess what, they said the same for the PS2 which was big leap from the PS1.
They do?(how surprising....NOT!) They did?(how surprising......really)

Stalker 360
omg all you ms haters ar you are you using windows coz thats kinda gay if you are and my 360 has had nothing wrong at all with it also blue-ray aint been confirmed they still could use bigger disks for the 360 all they need is a disk drive patch

JKozzy
No, you don't need new firmware, you'd physically need a new drive with a new lens that could read the disc... and yeah, blu-ray's been pretty much Sony's brainchild, I'd say it's pretty damn confirmed for the PS3. Micro$oft haters can use Windows since it's the only OS that really is supported for most programs, don't see your logic in that. Plenty of M$ haters use Linux. We'll see how your 'nothing wrong 360' is in a year or two.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Arahan
Well 10 year is a bit too long. I think there will be only a few games which will fill the BR-Disc. Games like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear including cinematic movies, high quality Sounds etc. This could happen after 5 years. Hi-def graphics? I'd say quite a bit sooner than 5 years. Those are monsters.

El_NINO
The only reason why they are using Blu Ray disc is for better graphics and more disc room, maybe better HD quality. The average game size right now is about 9 or 10 GB (DVD-9). The smallest BR disc right now is 25GB which is enough for having better graphics and more room to store extra data. I dont think they will even use up all that BR disc space, chances are they will probably use up close to 15GB. Its really tough to say what they plan to do right now in terms of how they use this media.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.