Anyone else think this is not quite right?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
Kwan to work out for US Skating committee on Friday
By BARRY WILNER, AP Sports Writer

January 25, 2006

OK Im sorry, and maybe this makes me unAmerican and all but I honestly dont think Kwan should have been given consideration here. She skated a grand total of ONE time this season. And she's been to the Olympics how many times now? It's time to let someone else have the chance in my opinion. yes

Bardock42
Depends...is she better? I don't know, that'S why she's monitored, right? If she is, she deserves the spot, if not she shouldn't get it jsut cause she's a veteran.

Jedi Priestess
No, I honestly dont think she IS better. First of all her last few showings havent been all that fantastic, and secondly she's hardly completed this last season. I think this is a case of clearly not wanting to give something up.

botankus
She is a popular name for all us non-Figure Skating fans out here. The current women skaters I can name off the top of my head are Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan...and that's it.

Jedi Priestess
That may be, but that doesnt mean she should get the opportunity shes getting that stated in the article above. She didnt earn it, simple as that.

botankus
Her not earning the chance will justify lower advertising prices for the networks.

botankus
I agree, JP, that's it's not fair, but it's also not fair that 100% of everything we see on television has everything to do with advertising prices.

If Michelle Kwan is on the team, there will be more viewers - definately - and therefore the networks can charge more for advertising during the figure skating events.

Hell, why do you think that stupid show "Skating with Celebrities" is successful? These idiots on the show suck, but because they're household names the networks can charge more for advertising. Since the show lives and dies by the network, it exists.

Michelle Kwan is a household name; I know this because I watch zero figure skating and know exactly who she is. Will I watch a few minutes because of her? If I turn to the channel and she's on I might watch the rest of her routine. If it's somebody I've never heard of who also happens to be a good skater, I'm turning the channel to The Price is Right.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
No, I honestly dont think she IS better. First of all her last few showings havent been all that fantastic, and secondly she's hardly completed this last season. I think this is a case of clearly not wanting to give something up.

If she isn't she doesn't deserve it...but isn't she monitored just to see that?

Jedi Priestess
Supposedly so, but I suspect that some sentimentality will play into the decision of whether or not she competes. That and her marketability.

~Da Moose~
When I heard this story I laughed. If you can't perform when the time to perform is at hand, then you don't deserve to go. Plain and simple. It's not fair to the others who EARNED their shot to go to the Olympics. It would be a tad embarrassing to go when you haven't earned it.

It's the age old adage, but it's true...."What have you done for me Lately, Michelle?"

Nothing.

overlord
OK Im sorry, and maybe this makes me unAmerican and all but I YOU ARE EITHER FOR AMERICA OR AGAINST IT!!!

Jedi Priestess
way too much effort put into that attempt at comedy no

KidRock
Kwan to work out for US Skating committee on Friday
By BARRY WILNER, AP Sports Writer

January 25, 2006

OK Im sorry, and maybe this makes me unAmerican and all but I honestly dont think Kwan should have been given consideration here. She skated a grand total of ONE time this season. And she's been to the Olympics how many times now? It's time to let someone else have the chance in my opinion. yes

I didnt bother to read the whole article but just put whoever has the highest chance of winning a gold medal on the team.

Darth Jello
for once i agree with kidrock, except don't put anyone on the team connected to tanya harding's ex husband.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Darth Jello
for once i agree with kidrock, except don't put anyone on the team connected to tanya harding's ex husband.
for some reason I agreed more often with you back when you had the sexual harrassment panda as Avatar......but on this case I do anyways....Kid Rock's right..the best woman should get the job.

pr1983
the ryder cup has a policy of having a wild card on the team, whereby a player who maybe has played poorly all season but in the past has shown great talent can be brought in...

if they truly believe kwan can win gold then i say she should go...

((The_Anomaly))
The Olympics is for the best athletes in the world to compete against each other to see who is the best in the world.

If she is not the best then she shouldn't go. Shes never even won a gold medal. So I'm thinking its time to let someone else have a crack at it. (not that I care. I'm not American, I'm just saying it makes sense to let some newer blood try).

Plus International Figure Skating is pretty well a joke. Like most international sports that require judging.

Jedi Priestess
Well she got onto the US team today. 10 bux says she dont do much.

Bardock42
Well she got onto the US team today. 10 bux says she dont do much.
Well this miught be wrong. But let's wait until she competed. If she isn't even the worst in the US team she obviously deserved the place.

Jedi Priestess
I dont think she did. That place should have went to someone who actually skated this last season.

Bardock42
I dont think she did. That place should have went to someone who actually skated this last season.

I mean now that she's on we will see how it works out. If she is at least better than one of her fellow US partners she deserved to be on the team. If she is the worst, well sher might have gotten it for the wrong reasons.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.