I have to admit burton did ''gotham'' better

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K.Diddy
I mean one thing, I dont like in Batman begins is the atmosphere of Gotham city at times it didn't feel like Gotham city.

In Tim Burton's ''Batman'' I felt he hit Gothams atmosphere great, Although The Joker sucked in it............Batman returns is the most crap Batman movie and Penguin looked like an ugly freak, but it still had a better ''Atmosphere'' than Begins

Cascador
I agree about the atmophere...there was a unique more new york style in the first batman film...was a much more darker gotham...in batman returns gotham got its own style. it was a great atmosphere again. But I think Batman Returns is a great film, not crap!wink

Knightfall93
HMMMMMMMMMM.... I reckon only the best comics can master Gotham's atmosphere but I loved BB and what's wrong with the atmosphere? But the best on- screen portrayal of Gotham in my view is that awesome Gotham in the Animated Series! Wow, that's SO Gotham...

roughrider
I wondered how Batman could look in a more nautralised setting, with Chicago standing in for Gotham City. But just as the first Superman made great use of New York City, Batman actually works without having crazy gothic art direction. Just like in Batman Year One - it's real rooftops and alleyways; Nolan kept emphasizing the atmosphere of Blade Runner to his crew, and they succeeded, with only a few CGI additions to the city.

Knightfall93
Hmmm... good point

Cascador
Nolan created a good Gotham, no doubt about that...But in my opinion Burton's was darker. And I don't say it looks more like the ones of the comics. Both Gotham of BB and B '89 have simmilarities to the comic

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by K.Diddy
I mean one thing, I dont like in Batman begins is the atmosphere of Gotham city at times it didn't feel like Gotham city.

In Tim Burton's ''Batman'' I felt he hit Gothams atmosphere great, Although The Joker sucked in it............Batman returns is the most crap Batman movie and Penguin looked like an ugly freak, but it still had a better ''Atmosphere'' than Begins

Burton's Gotham is more like a Darker fantasy Gothic mood.

Nolan's Gotham is more semi-realistic with architecture structures we can be more familiar in real world.

I'd give Nolan the edge for keeping that image of Gotham realism in his film.

Another big Plus for Nolan is how he illustrates the poverty of depresion of Gotham. Something Burton obviously lacked in his illustration.

Mr Parker
The Look of Gothem City was one of the very few things that Burton got right in the Batman movies,however I think Wrathful Dwarf hit the nail right on the head that Burtons Gothem City was more like a darker fantasy gothic mood where Nolans was more semi realistic with structures we can be more familiar with in the real world.Burtons Gothem was good for the time but yeah I would say Nolan has the edge as well the way he illustrated the more poverty look and more realistic view of it.Yeah Burtons Gothem was good for the time but his gothem never made me look at it and go wow!!!! like Nolans did. Burton had the right idea and was on the right track for it to be dark and depressing,but he went overboard and made it TOO dark to the point where you couldnt see what was going on half the time during the night scenes where Nolan nailed it just right making it dark and depressing but at the same time never to the point where you couldnt see what was happening though.His vision of Gothem was dead on.

Knightfall93
Yeah, Nolan's king of Gotham

Knightfall93
I vote they have new characters in Bat comics: the newly elected Mayor Christopher Nolan and DA David Goyer

Knightfall93
Then make them name the replacement Batman Christian bale and mak him the kick- ass-est kick- ass-er in town!

NoFate007
I like Burton's Gotham better than Nolan's, but I don't think Nolan's was bad. Of course they don't match up to TAS though.

SpyCspider
Burton's Gotham in Batman 1989 was nice....gothic...but with a touch of NY realism. He kinda exaggerated the gothicness to fit his own taste in Batman Returns however. That Gotham, with all the snow and fog, and eery music was very surreal but you could tell it was a set. It fit well with the way he depicted Catwoma and Penguin. That Gotham would not have fit his Joker, IMO.

Nolan's Gotham was like what everyone else said. Very real and gritty.

And Schumacher's Gotham.....sigh. Like watching a real-life cartoon mixed with Vegas. The addition of those huge statues in Batman & Robin was just too much and made his Gotham probably better to watch if you're high.

Lord Magnus
The Spider-Man movies were awesome (Mr. Parker), and although Begins was superior, the general New Yorkness of it was cool. I think part of the reason people say Batman doesn't connect with people as much is that Gotham doesn't exist but Spider-Man runs around New York and fight in buildings you might have actually entered. Gotham and Metropolis always seemed to me like polar opposites; Metropolis was perfect and grandstandy but with lots of giant monsters, while Gotham is dark, poor, and crime-ridden. It seemed in Begins like the city represented the Wayne family; Thomas Wayne dies and the city tries to degrade; Bruce is in a deteriorating state of mental health and eventually leaves; when he's back Falconi's practically taken over; and after that it's Batman's city. I'm ranting. I just wanted to post something about how awesome the Spider-Man movies were in every thread where Mr. Parker posts.

Silverstein
i agree with lord magnus. people cant connect to burtons gotham, it just seems so fake, exagerated, etc.

Cascador
Originally posted by Lord Magnus
I just wanted to post something about how awesome the Spider-Man movies were in every thread where Mr. Parker posts.
Yeah, you got my support man!

atharpina
I liked Nolan's Gotham better personally.

Knightfall93
NOLAN! NOLAN! NOLAN FOR MAYOR! and I wanna see a new bad guy in Superman... Lex is so gay, let's have DARKSEID!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Knightfall93
NOLAN! NOLAN! NOLAN FOR MAYOR! and I wanna see a new bad guy in Superman... Lex is so gay, let's have DARKSEID!

Now that would make an awesome movie. I'd even watfch it also Superman being an idiot.

Knightfall93
Hey... here's a great idea for an improved Superman movie... no Superman in it!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Knightfall93
Hey... here's a great idea for an improved Superman movie... no Superman in it!

Yeah...and instead of Superman you should take Batman...and instead of Lex Luthor ..the joker...and it shouldn't be set in Metropolis...lets rather set it in gotham...hmm..yeah that should mmake a good movie.

Knightfall93
Definitely and... hmm... let's get rid of Lois and put in Selina Kyle... or Talia... or Rachel Dawes! \And insted of the DAILY PLANET let's have WAYNE ENTERPRISES!

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Lord Magnus
The Spider-Man movies were awesome (Mr. Parker), and although Begins was superior, the general New Yorkness of it was cool. I think part of the reason people say Batman doesn't connect with people as much is that Gotham doesn't exist but Spider-Man runs around New York and fight in buildings you might have actually entered. Gotham and Metropolis always seemed to me like polar opposites; Metropolis was perfect and grandstandy but with lots of giant monsters, while Gotham is dark, poor, and crime-ridden. It seemed in Begins like the city represented the Wayne family; Thomas Wayne dies and the city tries to degrade; Bruce is in a deteriorating state of mental health and eventually leaves; when he's back Falconi's practically taken over; and after that it's Batman's city. I'm ranting. I just wanted to post something about how awesome the Spider-Man movies were in every thread where Mr. Parker posts.

Well this is the Batman section so Im not going to get into it with you here Lord Magnus on how contrary to what you think,the Man-Spider movies are pure crap,that there hasnt been a spiderman movie made yet,just man-spider movies that are even worse than the burton batman movies are,which I never thought would be possible,you want to discuss that,then go over to that gwen stacy thread in the spiderman section

anyways I agree with you about how when thomas wayne dies and the city becomes a deteriorating state of mental health and falconi takes over.I pretty much agree with everything about this post of yours as far as the batman movies go.

Batman Returns
Originally posted by K.Diddy

you suck. batman returns is a great movie and penguin IS an ugly freak in the comics. he aint no pretty boy in the comics, wtf is wrong with you. i swear, anyone who says BR is crap doesnt have respect for the character(s).

how did the joker suck? he WAS the joker from the comics. obviously the movie made millions so im pretty sure your just a biased raveing BB fanboy.

damn, fanboys piss me off. they dont recognize good art when they see it.

Knightfall93
Wwell, you're a bloody Batman Returns fan boy and there's actually reason to be a BB fan boy but not for crappy BR! Penguin is NOT that freaky...

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Batman Returns
you suck. batman returns is a great movie and penguin IS an ugly freak in the comics. he aint no pretty boy in the comics, wtf is wrong with you. i swear, anyone who says BR is crap doesnt have respect for the character(s).

how did the joker suck? he WAS the joker from the comics. obviously the movie made millions so im pretty sure your just a biased raveing BB fanboy.

damn, fanboys piss me off. they dont recognize good art when they see it.

so he sucks because he thinks batman returns is a bad movie? okay great logic there. roll eyes (sarcastic) yes he aint no pretty boy in the comics but if you look at the photo of him on the BURTON IS A MORON thread,you will see that he at LEAST resembles a human being which he always did in the comics.The 60's show was an accurate look of what he looks like in the comics which you obviously never read.that would be you that doest have respect for the characters,if you ever read the bat man comics,you would know how burtons batman movies betrayed the characters from the comics. roll eyes (sarcastic) well the joker only sucked because nicholson had the wrong build.He portrayed him very well but he had the wrong physical build,ceasar romero from the 60s show is the true joker from the comics just like burgess meridith is the true penguin from the comics.then you should piss yourself off since you dont like batman begins because thats TRUE art,you should then piss yourself off since you love batman returns so much because thats NOT true art.

Paola
enough with the flaming...

Rafkins_Warning
Okay... I know you're the moderator and all, hell you're probably not even reading this... but there is another thread I have seen (not saying which) with 8 pages of nothing but flames, you haven't ragged on it yet... but this one has what, 2 pages or less of flaming, you jump right on it!

If you are going to play god, do it a bit more meticulously!

Captain REX
If it hasn't been reported, then it won't be seen. So report it before you back sass.

Rafkins_Warning
I'm not reporting anything I'm just saying someone shouldn't report something small when there is worse out there... don't report just because you can.

Knightfall93
Reporting is just like grassing on people so its kinda sad...

Knightfall93
There actaully has been a lot more discussion here than on the WHINGING "Batman Begins... Horrible Reinventiuon?" thread which is basically BR moaning about a great film

Cascador
There are people moaning on both sides...it's not just BR...altho I agree that he also moans too much!

Knightfall93
He moans a lot more, in TOME sized sections. I avent read half of what he said at start cos it was soooooooo long!

bakerboy
I liked both cities. Burton's was darker and more gothic, mehanwhile Nolan's was more real and actual. Both valids.

Knightfall93
Real AND actual? Wow, big words there, bakerboy...

Batman Returns
burtons gotham for me felt more batman-ish then nolans. it had SO much atmosphere and was much darker, and the fact that it was pure invention gave it an "other-wordly" feel that IMO defines gotham city and makes it different from other comic-book cities such as metropolis or NYC for spiderman. nolans gotham reminded me more of metropolis then gotham city. too much like he was purposly trying to rip off bladerunner, what with all those monorails and sh**, i was expecting to see that millienum falcon looking building! that to me didnt feel like batman, and since batman isnt really a realstic supehero, it makes sense to have "his city" look like "HIS CITY", not supermans city. burton accomplished this, but nolan took the easy route and just made it look like Chicago! how original! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Knightfall93
And you'd have made a better film, huh? If you say ys... wrong answer. Don't slag off the best superhero movie EVER! Just go and stop acting like a total @r$ehole, mate

Scarecrow756
I liked both Nolan`s and Burton`s "Gotham." equally.

Knightfall93
NOLAN 4 EVER

Alec Brood
Mr Parker, you are right in defending Batman Begins. It was a fantastic movie. But in every post, you flame on Tim Burton and his two Batman movies. The fact is alot of people liked Burton's movies. It's not because you don't like them that they are not as art as Batman Begins is. i don't like Picasso's paintings but I know it's art. Why can't you and Batman Returns just agree that both of them had flaws but weren't garbage on film? I don't know how old you two are, but you can defend a movie without flaming the other one. It's just like 8 years old children when they say: "my father is stronger than yours". Movies are meant to entertain. If you don't like them, that's fine, but have respect for those who like the movie.

SpyCspider
^one of the best posts ever cool

Knightfall93
I surprisingly agree

Scarecrow756
Originally posted by Alec Brood
Mr Parker, you are right in defending Batman Begins. It was a fantastic movie. But in every post, you flame on Tim Burton and his two Batman movies. The fact is alot of people liked Burton's movies. It's not because you don't like them that they are not as art as Batman Begins is. i don't like Picasso's paintings but I know it's art. Why can't you and Batman Returns just agree that both of them had flaws but weren't garbage on film? I don't know how old you two are, but you can defend a movie without flaming the other one. It's just like 8 years old children when they say: "my father is stronger than yours". Movies are meant to entertain. If you don't like them, that's fine, but have respect for those who like the movie.

Good Point. smokin'

Knightfall93
|Now this thread's turning into a MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOIETY for Alec Brood and his li'l speech there!

SpyCspider
Originally posted by Alec Brood
It's just like 8 years old children when they say: "my father is stronger than yours".

I remember seeing on some tshirt: "my cat can kick your cat's ass."

Anyways, it was refreshing to see a new member of KMC's Batman forum state what needed to be said for a while now.

Knightfall93
I just love those T- shirts...
"FBI: Female Body Inspector"!

Cascador
well I'm just another guy who supports Alec Brood's post...he's totally right! as I said on the other thread...it's just a did too- did not childish conversation...Batman '89 was a succes and so was Batman Begins...that is not my own personal opinion as I've stated so many times before...that's just fact!

Knightfall93
It's not a fact... I disagree! it's your goddam opinion...

Cascador
no it's fact...magazines such as empire described batman '89 as a classic...classics are not failures...you're just denying it because it's "your' opinion that it wasn't a success

SpyCspider
the fact that it was one of the highest grossing movies also defines its success, if you want to measure it that way as well

Knightfall93
If you want to consider it a success in that it entertained you, then I call it a non- success and you call it succesful! However, I mainly say this as it's got his charcater all wrong... not that it was necessarily a bad movie. I'm not saying it's good but i'm saying my main reason of hatred is that...

Cascador
now you said yourself that it's your opinion..."my main reason of hatred is that"...I respect your opinion Knightfall93....but that doesn't take away the fact that batman was a succes...you don't like it...I get it...but bashing it like mr. parker for example does...Is not going to change that fact.

Knightfall93
Sorry, all this talking to Mr Parker and that a$$hole Batman Returns have turned me into some kinda radical maniac!

Cascador
I have to admit that those two really yeah...go too far! and even I get angry when I both see them posting like children! And I think that if I couldn't control myself I would also get carried away...
it's understandable...cause yeah I forgot about Batman Returns...He is also very annoying how he is bashing Batman Begins...he thinks of himself more adult, different as parker...But he is practically the same.

Knightfall93
I just get carried away... sorry, people!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.