Can Pre-Crisis Superman beat Silver Surfer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

unknowable
I been seeing Silver Surfer get alot of respect around here, I know he deserves it, I know he's crazy powerful, and from what I know now he would defeat lesser versions Superman, but what about PC Supes, can he beat him too?

Azeld
PC Supermans powers were all over the place so its hard to say. Back then he was really vulnerable to magic and kryptonite. If Surfer can stay alive long enough to use his cosmic awareness he should be able to take him down with kryptonite rather easily.

Anyone know if Surfer can synthesize the odinforce without being close to Odin or Asgard? That might be another option if he can.

supremthor
if bloodlusat pc supermans sneezes and surfer dies

Azeld
PC Superman has some really low showings that rate up there with Surfer being knocked out with a brick.Depends what era of PC Superman your talking about I guess.

ZephroCarnelian
Super-Suction breath, followed by an Insta-History Punch and then some Super-Vibrations for good measure.

thumb up

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by supremthor
if bloodlusat pc supermans sneezes and surfer dies
That was with the help of magic dust!

ZephroCarnelian
That may as be, but he's blown stars across space with just super-breath before....

So you imagine how powerful he's sneezes could be if he really let rip... wink

grey fox
Pc supes spin's around SS until the molecules vibrate enough to send Norrin into another dimension , where people are made of pancakes and moose's are our masters......

Tulika
Sure Superman can do anything faster than Silver Surfer, who, afterall, is only capable of superceeding lightspeed and wields the power cosmic. In fact, I'm sure Superman would be able to hit Surfer pretty hard before his energy was drained and his body filled with kryptonite after being turned into a quivering heap with red sun energy. Seriously, Supes can be pretty tough (haha, but at least he can counter that with being so goddamn lame) but against someone like Surfer, who's practically designed to destroy him, El is almost as efficient as a deflated rubber duck.

Get a grip, people.

Juntai
Originally posted by Tulika
Sure Superman can do anything faster than Silver Surfer, who, afterall, is only capable of superceeding lightspeed and wields the power cosmic. In fact, I'm sure Superman would be able to hit Surfer pretty hard before his energy was drained and his body filled with kryptonite after being turned into a quivering heap with red sun energy. Seriously, Supes can be pretty tough (haha, but at least he can counter that with being so goddamn lame) but against someone like Surfer, who's practically designed to destroy him, El is almost as efficient as a deflated rubber duck.

Get a grip, people. What good would any of that do against Anti-Cosmic Vision?
Seriously, every power surfer has, Superman had and then some. Matter manipulation, time travel, anything he needed, he could do at the drop of a hat. Superman was too Super.,... man.

Tulika
So, you're saying that Surfer radiating him with red star energy and kryptonite radiation wouldn't kill Superman just because he was "super?" Nu-uh.

Juntai
So, you're saying that Surfer radiating him with red star energy and kryptonite radiation wouldn't kill Superman just because he was "super?" Nu-uh. He'd vibrate between the rays of kryptonite radiation, in a space between this universe and the next, invent cosmic power catching device, and any power Surfer expelled would enter the machine and come out of the other side as Oscar Mayer hotdogs to feed starving children in Etheopia.
He could do anything. It didn't even have to make sense.

Apperently you've never seen Pre Crisis Superman.

Tulika
I agree, his powers were ridiculously vast and often written to match any problem at hand. But they never managed to write out his weaknesses, kryptonite and red star energy - and the matter of fact is that whereas Supes might've been able to otherwise match the Surfer, he still HAD weaknesses. Silverboy didn't and doesn't. They might be equal in all other aspects, but this is the main reason why even Pre-Crisis Superman doesn't stand a chance.

Thank god for the Crisis, though. Wasn't it Byrne who wrote Supes back into shape?

Juntai
I agree, his powers were ridiculously vast and often written to match any problem at hand. But they never managed to write out his weaknesses, kryptonite and red star energy - and the matter of fact is that whereas Supes might've been able to otherwise match the Surfer, he still HAD weaknesses. Silverboy didn't and doesn't. They might be equal in all other aspects, but this is the main reason why even Pre-Crisis Superman doesn't stand a chance.

Thank god for the Crisis, though. Wasn't it Byrne who wrote Supes back into shape? Supes can vibrate through the timestream instantly and kill him before he became surfer.
lol.

And yes, it was Byrne.

Juntai
Flying backwards faster than light, and doging between rays of red radiation.

DarkCrawler
Byrne's Superman sucked. He had troubles lifting a PLANE. Yeah, a normal 210-ton plane. I want Superman be really powerful. Not Pre-Crisis type powerful, but powerful enough to lift things that weigh 100000000000000000 times of that of the frigging plane.

Tshern
I fully agree with Tulika. Supes sure was even more powerful back then, but still he couldn't resist kryptonite nor red star energy. Several times he had troubles coping with Metallo, and that was only because Metallo had kryptonite and possibility to fire kryptonite beams.

The fact remains: Supes is vulnerable to both kryptonite and red sun energy. Hence, Surfer has the advantage since immediately when he radiates Supes with kryptonite radiation the match is over. S has virtually no chance against SS.

Juntai
Blowing away GIANT STARS with 'super breath'.

Juntai
Originally posted by Tshern
I fully agree with Tulika. Supes sure was even more powerful back then, but still he couldn't resist kryptonite nor red star energy. Several times he had troubles coping with Metallo, and that was only because Metallo had kryptonite and possibility to fire kryptonite beams.

The fact remains: Supes is vulnerable to both kryptonite and red sun energy. Hence, Surfer has the advantage since immediately when he radiates Supes with kryptonite radiation the match is over. S has virtually no chance against SS. But you're not considering Superman's ability to avoid this, as it has been shown to be in his powerset to vibrate out of tune with this reality and/or timestream, and move faster than the waves of radiation even if he stayed within it. He can be anywhere anywhen anytime he wants, without effort.

Tshern
Is Supes able to fight in that state? Yeah, probably not.

By using his board (see below) to exceed 99% of the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), the Surfer can shift himself into hyperspace, a dimension in which velocity is not limited by the speed of light. The Surfer can also compress his own bodily matter so as to shift himself into a so-called microverse. Additionally, he can phase his body's molecules to pass through solid matter or energy. He once used his powers to travel through time, but may be unable to engage in time travel under normal circumstances.

And from that you can see that Superman isn't the only one able to travel in time. So if Silver Surfer isn't able to inflict any damage, then Supes is not able to inflict any damage. Of course they just could travel in time and kill each other before they got their powers.

How Supes possibly could kill Silver Surfer? By freezing or melting him? Give me a break.

Juntai
Punch him into the entropy at the end of time, where nothing can exist.
lol.

And it says unable to engage in time travel under normal circumstances. So the matter arises of how he did it that ONE time.
Superman did it issue to issue.

Juntai
And what can Surfer do to Superman?
You still haven't given any evidence of how to defeat him.
Only using his weakness, which can easily be bypassed by his powerset and made ineffectual.

Juntai
Matter manipulation. Turning bullets into rays of light.

golem370
How about a multi pleWarp Speed power Punches. Or going back in time and putting baby Kal El into a Red Sun.

golem370
laughing A Superman whos tons more powerful then regular Superman kick a man and not causing him to bust into molecules thats funny.

Juntai
Originally posted by golem370
How about a multi pleWarp Speed power Punches. Or going back in time and putting baby Kal El into a Red Sun. According to what was posted, time travel was apperently available to Surfer via special circumstances. Superman could do it instantly whenever he wanted, in fact, he was so back and forth, time didn't really exist to him.

Truth is, he may be able to just punch him out.

Juntai
It's hard to argue against Pre Crisis Superman, because he's not a solid comic character, this is the same reason I don't like it when people start using 70s-80s feats from Marvel characters and claiming they're canon. Back then, comic characters were TOONS compared to current ones. Superman was an especially powerful Toon, able to make shit up with the likes of Bugs Bunny and even shared some comics with him.

His powerset, when considered at face value, make him pretty much unstoppable by ANY means. He could make it from Earth to the edge of the universe in a single panel, push away a galaxy with nothing but his ring finger and then be snagged out of the air by a cowboy with a lasso'ed rope and a bad attitude.

golem370
Even If Superman could time travel he still have to know when Silver Surfer to and then stop him from doing what Silver Surfer was trying to do.

Juntai
Even If Superman could time travel he still have to know when Silver Surfer to and then stop him from doing what Silver Surfer was trying to do. He can use super vision for that. He can see across any distance, even time and dimensions can be viewed. Superman has battled many time traveling opponents, he knows how to do it. .But Superman is MUCHHHH more likely to time travel than Surfer is, as it's not consistantly in his powerset.

golem370
I say Silver Surfer could at least 2/10 at least at first.

Juntai
I say Silver Surfer could at least 2/10 at least at first. Of course Surfer's going to get wins, I'm not saying it's going to be a landslide, but it's CERTAINLY written into Superman's pre crisis abilities to be able to handle pretty much everything thrown at him.

I just get tired of the "He shoots Kryptonite at him. Surfer wins !" when even current Superman has survived such circumstances dozens of times and came out on top.

Tshern
His powerset, when considered at face value, make him pretty much unstoppable by ANY means. He could make it from Earth to the edge of the universe in a single panel, push away a galaxy with nothing but his ring finger and then be snagged out of the air by a cowboy with a lasso'ed rope and a bad attitude.

That's a valid point. Characters' abilities seem to increase when they're facing more powerful opponents. Or is there any other explanations for such fights as Ghost Rider and Vengeance vs Blackheart or Adam Warlock vs Mephisto?

Abilities don't remain the same in Marvel nor DC, and that's one thing bugging me real hard. Once Ghost Rider is beaten by a bunch of hoodlums, but soon he's killing Black Heart. It's ludicrous.

Ex11B
Originally posted by grey fox
Pc supes spin's around SS until the molecules vibrate enough to send Norrin into another dimension , where people are made of pancakes and moose's are our masters......

laughing laughing laughing laughing

Tulika
One writer made Surfer destroy Galactus and one made him kick Mephisto's ass in Hell. One made him enlarge a snow-globe-sized city to regular measures and one made him go through time with ease. One wrote him to be toppled over by Namor. (snort)

As long as they can't establish solid character power levels, it's always subjective to the writer, who will win in what fight. I'm not going to bicker about the matter all day long as your view on pre-crisis superman is one and mine is another. Silver surfer's abilities are too much for Supes to handle in my opinion. Also, Superman, no matter what version, is so lametastic it makes me nauseous, and therefore, nothing you say or he does (except suicide) will change my mind:

Superman sucks.

ZephroCarnelian
Superman sucks.

Why does he suck?

Tulika
His powers are a clear show of miniscule imagination. It was stupid when he was jack-of-all-trades, when he turned into God, it got absolutely ridiculous. Because teenage boys liked the all-powerful dude, no artistic touch or depth ever got into the man of Teflon. His personality... well, I'll be sure to comment on it once he develops one. His biography is absurd, actually, I think The Attack of The Fifty-Foot Woman has a better plot. He looks nothing short of a 5-year-old's scribble and the greedy money-hogs owning his copyrights were afraid of their sales dropping if they improved him even a little.

Pseudo-scientific, humourless, untelligent, intangible, contentless, edgless, pointless. A brain fart that grew completely out of proportion. There's only one thing good about this dumpling - he inspired comic writers to invent something readable.

That's why he sucks.

Tulika
Oh, I forgot to mention. He's also cool.

Like Vanilla Ice.

DarkCrawler
One wrote him to be toppled over by Namor. (snort)

Spider-Man toppled Surfer once too. shifty

DarkCrawler

Pseudo-scientific, humourless, untelligent, intangible, contentless, edgless, pointless. A brain fart that grew completely out of proportion. There's only one thing good about this dumpling - he inspired comic writers to invent something readable.

Like with all characters...this depends on the writer. I've read good Superman stories.

A character doesn't have to be "badass" to be good.

illadelph12
I'd still take Surfer.

Supes wins if it decays into a slug fest, but other than that, Pre-Crisis Supes never had anti-Silver Surfer powers, and all of his feats are nothing Surfer can't overcome. Supes still has exploitable weaknesses, and Surfer has his number because of them.

unknowable
Originally posted by Juntai
Flying backwards faster than light, and doging between rays of red radiation.

this is unbelievable...

unknowable
Blowing away GIANT STARS with 'super breath'.

Holy Chit!!!

unknowable
But you're not considering Superman's ability to avoid this, as it has been shown to be in his powerset to vibrate out of tune with this reality and/or timestream, and move faster than the waves of radiation even if he stayed within it. He can be anywhere anywhen anytime he wants, without effort.

PC Supes is king..

Tshern
So are your posts...

Anyhow, again I have to agree with Tulika. Supes (no matter which version) is null and boring. Silver Surfer is somewhat similar to Supes, but at least most of the adventures of SS are interesting. When Supes is fighting a man with a blunt knife, Silver Surfer is struggling with cosmic beings.

unknowable
Is Supes able to fight in that state? Yeah, probably not.

He once used his powers to travel through time, but may be unable to engage in time travel under normal circumstances.

well evidently from your own post we can see that Surfer doesn't have complete mastery over time travel,("unable to engage in time travel under normal circumstances"winkunfortunately for him against some one who can calculate and react within a microsecond, he won't have time to prep.
also SS had aid, and he can only do it for a very short period of time.
Superman on the other hand time travels on a whim.

unknowable
Punch him into the entropy at the end of time, where nothing can exist.
lol.

And it says unable to engage in time travel under normal circumstances. So the matter arises of how he did it that ONE time.
Superman did it issue to issue.

I cant believe he "shoved" him through the time barrier...

Superman was a demi-god.

unknowable

This is so kewl,

do you know what super vision does exactly?
never heard of that..

unknowable
It's hard to argue against Pre Crisis Superman, because he's not a solid comic character, this is the same reason I don't like it when people start using 70s-80s feats from Marvel characters and claiming they're canon. Back then, comic characters were TOONS compared to current ones. Superman was an especially powerful Toon, able to make shit up with the likes of Bugs Bunny and even shared some comics with him.

LOL!!!

unknowable
I say Silver Surfer could at least 2/10 at least at first.

Don't feel bad golem, lol, this is mad funny,
At first you through something Surfer could do, but Jun quickly came back and made you a believer within 3 post's, now your giving SS a measly 2/10,
but we sympathise man, what can anyone do, PC Supes was just no joke.

unknowable
Oh, I forgot to mention. He's also cool.

Like Vanilla Ice.

doh, that was low man, low...

Tshern
It says SS may be unable to do it. Potentially. Possibly. Perhaps.

And you think SS doesn't have superfast reflexes?

unknowable
It says SS may be unable to do it. Potentially. Possibly. Perhaps.

And you think SS doesn't have superfast reflexes?

no, actually absolutely, Silver Surfer can travel through time but no where near as effortlessly as Superman, and he can only do it for a short period of time, as he says himself, and it even seems to tire him a bit.

unknowable
Originally posted by unknowable
no, actually absolutely, Silver Surfer can travel through time but no where near as effortlessly as Superman, and he can only do it for a short period of time, as he says himself, and it even seems to tire him a bit.

it also seem he has no control over time, why didn't he save her if he did?

long pig
PC Superman was a cosmic. He had time travel, matter manipulation, insane speed and other powerful stuff that bordered on magic.

I'd say they are nearly equal in power. Superman had the durability/strength advantage, Surfer has the ....well, everything else advantage. They would stalemate most likely, that's why it's kinda silly putting post-Superman up against Surfer when PC wasn't just a flying strong man, new guy is nothing but.

unknowable
Originally posted by long pig
PC Superman was a cosmic. He had time travel, matter manipulation, insane speed and other powerful stuff that bordered on magic.

I'd say they are nearly equal in power. Superman had the durability/strength advantage, Surfer has the ....well, everything else advantage. They would stalemate most likely, that's why it's kinda silly putting post-Superman up against Surfer when PC wasn't just a flying strong man, new guy is nothing but.

good point, but Supes owns the time travel department here. Silver Surfer needs circumstances to do it, and beyond that, he can only sustain the travel a short period time, uhhm seconds apparently.

ZephroCarnelian
Another example of Pre-Crisis Time Travelling. smile

ZephroCarnelian
Someone has said that Surfur can fly out of our dimension...

Guess what... so can Supes... wink

ZephroCarnelian
Not only that - he can seal people off into other dimensions too...

Avalonofthewind
Viva the super kick!!! laughing

unknowable
Originally posted by ZephroCarnelian
Someone has said that Surfur can fly out of our dimension...

Guess what... so can Supes... wink

oh chit..

Mider
my gosh that is insanity super speed vibrations?!?!?!? what the hell? ive only seen guys like darkseid seal people out of dimensions!?!?!?!

Juntai
Pre Crisis Superman was a beast.

Every once ina while you gotta break out out the old scans for those who forgot or never saw.

MattDay
PC Supes was unstoppable, because he could use his powers to force out his weaknesses, hense them pictures show earlier, moving so fast between different types of radiation, red and yellow keeping himself powerful, merging them. Crazy stuff, SS is powerful but not like that, the big S for me. full stop

soleran30
Yes and after Pre-Crisis Superman curb stomps SS then He will smother him with Hostess goodness and ask him if he wants seconds!

Mider
i once SS was so over powered why didnt they just implant a cosmic cube in him looking at pre crisus supes i think they already implanted the IG in him >.<

leonheartmm
its debateable that precrisis superman can take on thanos with the IG, n were talkin about SURFER?!

ZephroCarnelian
Here's a nice shot of Superman escaping the heart of a black hole at the very edge of the universe.

ZephroCarnelian
And here, Superman contains - with no apparent effort - an explosion that can destroy a planet.

ZephroCarnelian
Here's another one of Supes versus a black hole.

Here, he closes one with his bare hands....

CLOSES a black hole....

slade10
And here, Superman contains - with no apparent effort - an explosion that can destroy a planet.

Impressive... except surfer has RESURRECTED an entire planet (presumably one much larger than earth, since earth is a very small planet).

Someone else said this, and I agree. But most of these pre-crisis scans are like cartoons -- closer to bugs bunny than modern comics. I mean, that scan doesn't even remotely make any sense.

pc superman would win, but you could say the same of any hero from these old comics, or bugs bunny. They just invent random abilities to ensure the hero is on top at the end of the day.

Mider
for all you know superman could spin the planet back word rewinding time bringing them all back to life.

BobbyD
These guys are my 2 favorite characters. But geez, PC Supes was a god amongst superheroes. He would easily take SS in this matchup.

unknowable
Here's another one of Supes versus a black hole.

Here, he closes one with his bare hands....

CLOSES a black hole....

ok, this is INSANE!!!!!!!!

ahhhhhh...

unknowable
Originally posted by Mider
i once SS was so over powered why didnt they just implant a cosmic cube in him looking at pre crisus supes i think they already implanted the IG in him >.<

LOL...

unknowable
Originally posted by BobbyD
These guys are my 2 favorite characters. But geez, PC Supes was a god amongst superheroes. He would easily take SS in this matchup.

agreed

and without a doubt.

Mindship
Originally posted by supremthor
...pc supermans sneezes and surfer dies

that's pretty much it

larryfilmmaker
Superman represents the power of good in so many different symbolic ways, some cheesy, some inspiring. He's symbollic of Christ, Hercules, Samson, and all that jazz.

Silver Surfer has no penis

Superman closed a blackhole and turned back time

Silver Surfer rides a silver surf board

Superman Returns

Fantastic Four 2

Superman wins in every way

MattDay
no penis... man that's a real downside to the power cosmic aint it!

Board Walker
pc supes

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by leonheartmm
its debateable that precrisis superman can take on thanos with the IG, n were talkin about SURFER?! .............

Wait, did you just imply Surfer>IG Thanos? no expression

TricksterPriest
I'm fairly sure he meant Surfer with the IG........then again.....maybe not.

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I'm fairly sure he meant Surfer with the IG........then again.....maybe not. Honestly would not surprise me. He did say Dante or Vergil from DMC could easily beat Thanos with IG.

Oh and btw PC Superman IMO would win.

BradBalboa
i give this to PC Supes easy, i think superman in general could beat SS, never mind Pre-Crisis !!!

Mindship
Anti-galactic glaze superwhistling ftw.

Magee
Super sneeze wins.

lawest9
Originally posted by unknowable
I been seeing Silver Surfer get alot of respect around here, I know he deserves it, I know he's crazy powerful, and from what I know now he would defeat lesser versions Superman, but what about PC Supes, can he beat him too? i know this thread is about ss vs PRE-CRISIS superman but.....as DC ever conceded that ss can beat the current post crisis superman or is it just a popular opinion that current supes can't beat ss???

lawest9
Originally posted by Board Walker
pc supes then supes also wins with the ladies...don't he? hahahahahahahaha!!!

lawest9
Originally posted by MattDay
no penis... man that's a real downside to the power cosmic aint it! this was the post i meant to respond to, but it does mean supes win with the ladies as well.

panthergod
His powers are a clear show of miniscule imagination.

Spoken like a typical marvelfanboy fruit.cake

But Thor, Surfer, Sentry, Thanos, etcetcetc. those gusya re all cool right?

idiot.

A lie.

again, spoken like someone who never read a superman comic in his life.

Yeah, better than mosses, hercules, samson, giilgamesh, jesus, etc, all of who am have a fundamentally simiar origin to Superman.

like all superheroes.

lie.

So unintelligent that there a regularly published books written on his depth.

So unintelligent that an entire genre ows itself to hm

a lie, see above.

Marvel fanboy fruits cakes like this chump amuse me in their stupidity.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.