*- baptised baby,s-*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sammii
Do you think it is right that children should be baptised at such a young age without being given the choice ???

I think it wrong and i think its foecing religion on ppl whereas if the childs parents ect were religious if they waited until the child was old enough to make up there own mind then they themselves can choose

finti
You can simply just name your kids and let the authorities know about that nameing so the kid gets into the system

debbiejo
Originally posted by sammii
Do you think it is right that children should be baptised at such a young age without being given the choice ???

I think it wrong and i think its foecing religion on ppl whereas if the childs parents ect were religious if they waited until the child was old enough to make up there own mind then they themselves can choose It really doesn't matter to most people though some place too much value on the event that this will save or bring the child into the Conant with god. I was baptized as a baby and never told. Much of it stems from Catholic teachings. Though most protestant churches starting with the Anabaptists waited until the person was ready to commit their lives to god. One of the reasons Anabaptists were severely persecuted for not baptising babies.

sammii
well i think its wrong most children grow up to behave as there parents would so i suppose in a way they would want to be baptised any way but its still wrong i mean come on its a baby the whole worlda ahead of it & there it is being forced to follow god

debbiejo
well i think its wrong most children grow up to behave as there parents would so i suppose in a way they would want to be baptised any way but its still wrong i mean come on its a baby the whole worlda ahead of it & there it is being forced to follow god Being baptised as a baby doesn't necessarily mean they have to follow god, it's the catechisms, communion and classes that do that. In history, babies were baptized as a protection that if they died their soul was guaranteed to heaven.

sammii
so are you saying if your not baptised or dont beleive in god youll go to "hell"

debbiejo
so are you saying if your not baptised or dont beleive in god youll go to "hell" No, I don't believe in hell. This is just what different doctrines teach.

sammii
well the doctrines are a pile of shyt that would mean the rest of the entire world , other religions n non beleivers would all go to hell i dont really think there would be enough room n plus that theorie is forcing ppl 2 beleive or they,ll go to hell omg wat a fukin con

debbiejo
well the doctrines are a pile of shyt that would mean the rest of the entire world , other religions n non beleivers would all go to hell I agree with that. The doctrines are much the problem. They each condemn each other, and can't see that they're in the same boat.

Ladyluck

I think it wrong and i think its foecing religion on ppl whereas if the childs parents ect were religious if they waited until the child was old enough to make up there own mind then they themselves can choose

I don't think it's such a terrible thing. If your family wants to bring you up with a certain religion, then fine. As you get older and mature, you'll realize if you like it or not, and you can decide whether or not you should be part of that religion. It's not necessarily forcing their religion on the child, it's guiding the child, in my opinion.

I was baptised when I was a baby and was brought up in a Catholic family. I realized that religion seriously isn't for me and now I'm Pagan.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Ladyluck
I don't think it's such a terrible thing. If your family wants to bring you up with a certain religion, then fine. As you get older and mature, you'll realize if you like it or not, and you can decide whether or not you should be part of that religion. It's not necessarily forcing their religion on the child, it's guiding the child, in my opinion.

I was baptised when I was a baby and was brought up in a Catholic family. I realized that religion seriously isn't for me and now I'm Pagan. Whoooooo Pagans seem fun from what I've read...

At least you were able to think for yourself, not everybody is able to escape their forced beliefs, though I can see how a parent would want to instill their beliefs on their children, they only want to do what is best, and if they think this will get them into heaven, they feel this is right. Many many times it really is unselfish on the parents part, but it's based on fears of the unknown that the parents haven't thought out or researched out themselves, so they are just ignorant of the facts....Parents love their children and try to do what they precieve is the right thing.

Atlantis001

Shakyamunison
It does not matter.

DanieLs_4_Ever
I was baptised at a week and I'm glad. I don't see Baptising before given the choice is forcing anything on anyone.

Makedde
I believe that children should grow up and learn how they feel about certain issues, instead of having the opinions and religion of their parents forced on them.

Shakyamunison
All you are doing is getting a baby wet.

Gregory
I was baptized as a baby by my sort-of-atheist grandmother (well, by a priest, I suppose, but at her instigation), apparently out of spite towards Christianity. So that if any Christian said to me, "Ha ha, you're going to Hell because you're not baptized!" I could give them the finger and say, "Yes I was!" De mortuis, nihil nisi bonum and all, but that woman had issues. Anyway, being baptised as a child neither traumatized me nor turned me into a Christian; I hardly think it matters if a parent wants to dunk their kid in a bowl for a few seconds.

debbiejo
It's more a church ceremony thing...It's not a big deal here that I know of, only if you are Catholic really, or a few other churches. Most protestant churches just dedicate their babies to god, no baptism. They take pictures, say a prayer. No big deal....But if you feel hypocritical for it then don't do it.

StarCross
Hello sammii,

People who support water baptizing infants ought to provide support for their belief using scripture in order provide some kind of context. The fact is you will not find any biblical support for baptizing infants. Infant baptism is a man made concept that has been practiced by major denominations for a very long time and people just assume the word of God requires it. The following verse illustrates why infant baptism would be useless anyway.

Water baptism, along with REPENTANCE, is done to obtain forgiveness of sins. What infant even understands those concepts to begin with? Water baptism is not even a requirement for the Christian believer today but that is a subject for another thread.

Thanks
StarCross

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.