The Dark Knight Returns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Knightfall93
What do you guys think of DKR? I just read it and hated the way Batman maims and cripples millions. He kills like a gazillion mutants and murders Joker crazily! He also acts like a paedo, walking around nude in front of Carrie all the time... I mean, he's like 50 and she's 13! At least it's only a kind of unofficial ELSEWORLDS...

2guns batman

What do you think?

Etrigan
A shame you disliked it... I thought it was really awesome. I agree with your point on him killing though. Except he didn't want to kill Joker when he broke his neck, just paralyse him so he could never kill again.

If you didn't like Miller's portrayal of Bats in DKR, never read DK2. In fact, don't come within range of it. Miller kind of turns Batman into a caped Marv in that. It really sucked.

Did you not even like the way they handled Bats and Supes's rivalry?

Knightfall93
The rivalry ws nothing like in continuity... it was like Batman's some kind of serial killing, torturing outlaw and Supes is a government hitman!

Gregory
I don't remember Batman killing any mutants; I know he doesn't kill Joker-- Joker kills himself.

Etrigan
He shot a good deal of Mutants with the Batmobile's machine gun.

Gregory
Looking at my copy of TDKR, however, I see that he used rubber bullets? I admit that the "honest" part doesn't reek of sincerity, but we're not given a reason to doubt him.

Etrigan
It just seems dumb to assume that he actually did use rubber ones... so I just thought he was lying with the "honest" bit.

He didn't show any hesitation in trying to kill Supes, though, did he? I think he was trying to. Even with all the "I want you to remember my hand at your throat, Clark... the one who beat you."

And he was using Kryptonite.

Gregory
I would agree with you, except ... every thing Batman does that is even slightly illegal is mentioned in the news. Endangering a minor? We're told he's being charged with that. The murder of the Joker? We're told he's being charged with that. But he guns down dozens of people with a machine gun, and nobody comments on it? That doesn't seem very likely.

I don't think he was trying to kill Superman, just last against him until the drug took effect. If he'd won that fight, it would have ruined every thing, since the whole point of the battle was to stage his own death and go into hiding. But Superman's hardly an oppenent you can hold back against.

Knightfall93
I felt Bruce, Clark and Green Arrow were all @$$holes in DKR, as was Gordon. The only good guy was Carrie...

Etrigan
Except Carrie was a girl, not a guy.

About Gregory's comment; he was charged with child endangerment as well. But you must remember, he always chooses to save the inncoents rather than catch the bad guy. ALWAYS. That is, from what I've seen.

Knightfall93
Except in DKR... he'd rather chase Joker than fuss about dying people...

Etrigan
Nope. He said he was too late for the two that Joker shot on the bridge. Therefore, he would have saved them. And he saved that girl from Joker with the batarangs when the gas bomb exploded in the fun fair. And the little boy in teh hall of mirrors.

I kind of thought of that fight as a "Last vengeance"- the time when Batman realises the only way to stop all the killing is to finally break his vow and kill Joker. But still, he chooses not to with willpower, and breaks his neck.

Knightfall93
Which kills him. Batman is too harsh and brutal in Miller comics. I dont llike them, except for yr1, thats just in the boundary and a good story...

Etrigan
No no no! Batman broke his neck only to PARALYZE Joker. Joker twisted his own neck even further, and killed himself.

Read it over again.

Knightfall93
Nah, I thought it was too crap to re- read. Sorry, but I dont like it...

Etrigan
Well, it's a sound answer. It;s your opinion. I can't criticize you for not liking something I like.

WrathfulDwarf
I LOVED IT! but not one of his best. I hate the ending.

Alfred dies....that sucks

When it comes to the works by Frank Miller I'll always favorite Year One.

Knightfall93
Yr1 rocks and Alfred would be 90- ish then! Alf's death is gay. I really didnt like it but I appreciate that its a very popular story

Etrigan
Gay? blink Is that meant as a derogatory term these days?

Anyway, yeah, I didn't like Alfred's death either... but I did prefer DKR to Yr 1, funnily enough. Of course, Yr 1 was damn good.

Knightfall93
I love the way yr1 focuses on Gordon so much. Jimbo da man! LOL

Scarecrow756
I really liked it, I especially liked Miller`s interpretation of Batman in this story. And of course the big fight at the end with Batman and Superman. Good Batman stories one of my favourites.

Bardock42
Batman didn't kill anyone on purpose in Dark Knight Returns. I don't know what you people are talking aboot.

Knightfall93
He's still a lot tougher and rougher and an utter d**k in it!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Knightfall93
He's still a lot tougher and rougher and an utter d**k in it!

Not really. He is a bit darker and probably tougher too, but it was a decent portrayal. You have to keep in mind that it was an Elseworld.

Knightfall93
I guess... bu Clark Kent was a f**king governement hitman and a right @$$hole! And so was Green Arrow....

Bardock42
I guess... bu Clark Kent was a f**king governement hitman and a right @$$hole! And so was Green Arrow....

Green Arrow was awesome in it. Superman is always an ******* so very good portrayed too.

Knightfall93
LOL, the 3 main JLAers all acted like **********************************************s in the start of IC on the moon

Batman Returns
DKR was awsome. i love it more knowing that burton based his batman off of millers DKR batman. and i was wondering why batman was so badass in B89! cuz he made batman like frank millers batman, while also combining bob kanes original 30's/40's batman who also killed a bit. batman fightiong ther mutant leader was AWSOME. he really dishes out the pain!

"you dont get it......this isnt a mudhole...its an opertating table......and im the surgeon......"

awsome.

and batman blowing those thugs up with the tank, SWEET!!! he was so badass there, then he gets out and fights that huge thug!!

and superman was REALLY a prick, just like i always thought he could be, lol. batman OWNED supes. something about that fight reminded me of when batman is fighting that black thug in the bellytower in B89. same with joker fighting batman, that reminded of batman punching the sh** outta joker, only in DKR it seemed more brutal. and when batman spits on joker and joker is erupts in flames, batman gets all paranoid and says "stop.........stop....LAUGHING!!", that was SICK (in a good way of course). DKR kicks year ones ass as far as action and suspense go. millers finest IMO.

Knightfall93
I dislike it more now that youve talked about all his killing! BR, you dont get the main essence ofthe modern Batman charcetr oer the last 50 years... HE NEVER, EVER, EVER kills! NEVER!

Irish Wolverine
I dislike it more now that youve talked about all his killing! BR, you dont get the main essence ofthe modern Batman charcetr oer the last 50 years... HE NEVER, EVER, EVER kills! NEVER!

Batman didn't kill anyone. Joker killed himself, and he used rubber bullets on the mutants. Originally, Batman sometimes killed criminals. This was in the first few years of the character's existence.

What I didn't like about DKR is that Miller said he wanted this to be Batman's Ragnarok, meaning the last Batman adventure. However you see at the ending of DKR that this is not Batman's last stand. Other than that, I greatly enjoyed it.

I actually liked the death of Alfred. It made sense and was done well.

Etrigan
Originally posted by Irish Wolverine
Batman didn't kill anyone. Joker killed himself, and he used rubber bullets on the mutants. Originally, Batman sometimes killed criminals. This was in the first few years of the character's existence.

The way Batman says it though. "Rubbr bullets. Honest."

Sounds cynical to me. He might have been using real bullets.

Though I do doubt it, considering the trouble he has with blowing away teh ML.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Etrigan
The way Batman says it though. "Rubbr bullets. Honest."

Sounds cynical to me. He might have been using real bullets.

Though I do doubt it, considering the trouble he has with blowing away teh ML.

Yeah, and he might have been using Jelly Shots.... but then again, he might not.

Knightfall93
LOL. He may even have fired scrotams filled with lead but... well...

Bardock42
LOL. He may even have fired scrotams filled with lead but... well...

Yeah, yeah...I hard jokes get better when they are repeated often....apparently that's wrong no expression .....just kidding dude, ypu are funny, I love your style (did that sound anything like Stewie Griffin?)

Knightfall93
Who? And my style is generally "make a sexual reference and pray I dont just sound gay or perverted but actually funny"!

Bardock42
Who? And my style is generally "make a sexual reference and pray I dont just sound gay or perverted but actually funny"!

You don't know Stewiw Griffin....OH MY GOD.

Yeah, as I said, I like your style.

Knightfall93
LOL... I like my style too

Knightfall93
Oh, I love the Watchmen sig...

Etrigan
Rorscach forever. Even though I can't damn spell it.

Bardock42
Oh, I love the Watchmen sig...

So do I

Originally posted by Etrigan
Rorscach forever. Even though I can't damn spell it.

Yeah, Rorschach is awesome.

Knightfall93
Rorschach is plainly The Man!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.