Arctic monkeys

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
british band

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4643436.stm
The Arctic Monkeys' album could become the fastest-selling debut album in recorded chart history, after selling more than 100,000 on its first day.

what do you think of them?

Red Superfly
One word: "meh".

Their success is inspiring, their music is not.

Deano
music aint too bad. they have some funky tunes.

Alpha Centauri
Quite possibly the worst band to come out in...well, ever.

-AC

Red Superfly
I can't help it but whenever I hear them I always think "meh".

I just can't fathom their success. Surely it's more about the principle of supporting a band through word-of-mouth and gigs, which I guess is really cool, but I can't help but feel like they are an undeserving band that just did their thing and the internet proppelled them into this mega-trendy thing that everyone "cool" and "hip" should know about.

It all seems to be more about their success and hype, as opposed to the actual music they make. They kinda bore the hell out of me.

They seem to be a band for "wannabes" that listen to this music, and then say to their peers "Yeah, I've got the Arctic Monkeys album, I'm cool and underground and a rebel, just like them in a mad way. I'm cool. So cool. Cool.".

Not only that, but literally everyone I know that loves them is either a tasteless moron or a complete arse-hen.

Alpha Centauri
Such an extremely shit band.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Red Superfly
mega-trendy thing that everyone "cool" and "hip" should know about.

It all seems to be more about their success and hype, as opposed to the actual music they make. They kinda bore the hell out of me.

They seem to be a band for "wannabes" that listen to this music, and then say to their peers "Yeah, I've got the Arctic Monkeys album, I'm cool and underground and a rebel, just like them in a mad way. I'm cool. So cool. Cool.".

Not only that, but literally everyone I know that loves them is either a tasteless moron or a complete arse-hen.

NME Syndrome.

Df02
has anyone seen the recent NME best ever british albums list?

Arctic Monkeys album is 5th... and Zepellin iv is 95...

Deano
they aint too bad. but i dont understand why there album is selling so quick

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Df02

I read that, such morons.

I genuinely wouldn't have Arctic Monkeys on any "Best" list.

-AC

Df02
another hilarious thing about that issue was...

"Fall Out Boy - the last great punk band?" hahaha

Aj333
A.M are okay but like arcade fire in U.S/Canada they are waay too name-checked

Alpha Centauri
The Arcade Fire are really good, though. Arctic Monkeys are shit, horribly shit. Even Jaden hates them and he and I often disagree over music like that.

Though I do hate that, when bands become name checkees. Death Cab, Sufjan, The Arcade Fire etc.

another hilarious thing about that issue was...

"Fall Out Boy - the last great punk band?" hahaha

TrendME.

-AC

Red Superfly
May I ask, in all innocence, what name-checking is?

I do not like this comparison of Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire. I love Arcade Fire. Their live performance literally blew me away, and I've constantly had their Funeral album in my CD player and on my mp3 playlist almost every day for the past nine months and I still love them. I listened to Arctic Monkeys twice before becoming seriously bored. Hardly a comparison.

The first I heard of them was a friend who downloaded "Haiti" ages ago and he played it at random on his computer. I said "who the hell is this it's brilliant!", calmly he said it was Arcade Fire, and I went out and bought the album that same day. Bit of a gamble, but it paid off. I didn't even need much convincing. With Arctic Monkeys, it's like "OK, everyone says I need to go buy this album, but I REALLY couldn't care less". They remind me a bit of Razorshit.....sorry, Razorlite, in that respect.

"Wow they use their regional accents", "oooh they're only 19". Big deal. I know a few bands that play in my local pub who are better, and they just do it as a "hobby" rather than professionally. They're like a runner up band from a battle of the bands school competition.

But yeah, "name checking"?

amity75
Intelligent lyrics unfortunately paired with substandard music. And they're celtic fans. So that makes me give them a resounding thumb down

Aj333
Originally posted by Red Superfly
May I ask, in all innocence, what name-checking is?

I do not like this comparison of Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire. I love Arcade Fire. Their live performance literally blew me away, and I've constantly had their Funeral album in my CD player and on my mp3 playlist almost every day for the past nine months and I still love them. I listened to Arctic Monkeys twice before becoming seriously bored. Hardly a comparison.

The first I heard of them was a friend who downloaded "Haiti" ages ago and he played it at random on his computer. I said "who the hell is this it's brilliant!", calmly he said it was Arcade Fire, and I went out and bought the album that same day. Bit of a gamble, but it paid off. I didn't even need much convincing. With Arctic Monkeys, it's like "OK, everyone says I need to go buy this album, but I REALLY couldn't care less". They remind me a bit of Razorshit.....sorry, Razorlite, in that respect.

"Wow they use their regional accents", "oooh they're only 19". Big deal. I know a few bands that play in my local pub who are better, and they just do it as a "hobby" rather than professionally. They're like a runner up band from a battle of the bands school competition.

But yeah, "name checking"?

I just mean that some people who don't even have the album say ooh *insert band name* is so great because they want to look cool!
but yeah the arcade fire are better then the artic monkeys
i just used that comparison because they are talked about a lot like the artic monkeys

amity75
Arcade Fire are a great band. Saw them live last year in Glasgow and was blown away.

MildPossession
Not a fan of Arctic Monkeys.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by amity75
Intelligent lyrics unfortunately paired with substandard music. And they're celtic fans. So that makes me give them a resounding thumb down

"Ahh bet thaat yew look gewd on the dan-seflaw. Ah don't knoh if ya lookin' faw roman-se or..."

Yes, very intelligent.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Meh is right.

Im not actually overly impressed, or impressed at all, for that matter.

It just...bored me, so yeah....not good in my opinion thumb down

Victor Von Doom

Before the album was released, too.

The perfect example of everything that is c*ntworthy about the NME, with no debating required.

jaden101
i thought it was ironic that franz ferdinand called their album "you could have it so much better"

then along come the arctic monkeys with "whatever people say i am...thats what i'm not"

indeed...lots of people say you're a good band...and you're not

Alpha Centauri
It just solidified my disgust of Jo Whiley.

Literally the most useless idiot in music broadcasting there is.

-AC

jaden101
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It just solidified my disgust of Jo Whiley.

Literally the most useless idiot in music broadcasting there is.

-AC

indeed..."the word" has a lot to answer for

still...she has Edith Bowman, Zane Lowe and Colin Murray to play with in her delusional little circle so i'm sure it keeps her occupied

Alpha Centauri
I swear Zane Lowe "likes" every album.

The only album he's ever admitted to disliking to the artist's face was Permission to Land by The Darkness. Purely because he thought he could make fun of them, Justin then made him look like a mug.

-AC

Df02
i think Zane Lowe is worse purely because of how hypocritical he is, and how he has such a massive opinion of himself and his 'musical expertise' and 'underground reputation' when really he's a complete cockbag

Victor Von Doom
Why are people coming into contact with such idiots, though?

Of all of those, I only know Jo Whiley, and even then only by name and face.

Alpha Centauri
He was on Radio One (I think) when I was listening a few times.

That's how I know him.

-AC

Df02
I swear Zane Lowe "likes" every album.

The only album he's ever admitted to disliking to the artist's face was Permission to Land by The Darkness. Purely because he thought he could make fun of them, Justin then made him look like a mug.

-AC

i heard him saying openly he disliked a band, then a few weeks later praised them when they were on the show.

i think it was someone like The Go! Team, or Hot Chip

MildPossession
Is he the one with longish hair who sometimes reviews films and interviews film actors as well? because I can not stand him at all. Stay away from the film world.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by MildPossession
Is he the one with longish hair who sometimes reviews films and interviews film actors as well? because I can not stand him at all. Stay away from the film world.

I don't have a clue. The last time I saw him was ages ago and he was baldish. I only ever hear him now when I listen to the radio.

-AC

papabeard
People always want to put bands down because they are to hyped or they are supposed to be "cool" or "hip".

I think the arctic monkeys have a few really good songs,namely, When the Sun Goes Down and Fake Tales of San Francisco, they are funny and seem like nice guys.

I like them , I dont give a sh@t about hype

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by papabeard
People always want to put bands down because they are to hyped or they are supposed to be "cool" or "hip".

No, I hate them because they're an incredibly shit band. They could be hyped or playing in pubs, it doesn't matter to me. Similarly, saying you like them in the face of people hating them doesn't make them any better nor does it make you "cool" for having the "guts" to say it.

They're a horrible band.

they are funny and seem like nice guys.

Hahaha, how pathetic.

A) How do you know this, that they are nice guys?

B) Why does it matter? Unless you are going to be meeting them, their music is all you have and them being "nice guys" has no bearing over it.

-AC

Df02
Originally posted by MildPossession

that's Alex Zane.

MildPossession
Ah well, I can't stand him lol.

jaden101
all of them seem desperately trying to fill the role of "new John Peel"

given that none of them have anywhere near the range of taste in music (be it bad or good) then they will all fail utterly miserably

most of them have done sets at my local students union of the last few weeks...i had the misfortune of being at Colin Murray's set...unsurprisingly crap music...but still a surprisingly decent night all things considered

Edith Bowman played 2 days before that...and Zane Lowe is presenting the Kooks next wednesday

Solo
Terrible.

Imaginary

... what is the world coming to?

cool_dudes_rule
nah i hate the arctic monkeys there debut song does my head in, cant stand them.

papabeard
Hahaha, how pathetic.

A) How do you know this, that they are nice guys?

B) Why does it matter? Unless you are going to be meeting them, their music is all you have and them being "nice guys" has no bearing over it.

-AC

Sure a band can write great music and I will enjoy it , but if they are dicks I will not like or respect them as much. However, if a band are nice people as opposed to being dicks then I will have more respect for them.

Just like people in internet forums

I have heard them being interviewed, read interviews, listened to the lyrics on the album and been on various websites and from this I surmise that they are "Nice Guys".

So if a band writes good music, but are actually rapists will you still listen to the music? will you still evaluate them and their music the same?

And........

QUOTE FROM AC :
"saying you like them in the face of people hating them doesn't make them any better nor does it make you "cool" for having the "guts" to say it."

I did not say it did.

Alpha Centauri
Sure a band can write great music and I will enjoy it , but if they are dicks I will not like or respect them as much. However, if a band are nice people as opposed to being dicks then I will have more respect for them.

Just like people in internet forums

I have heard them being interviewed, read interviews, listened to the lyrics on the album and been on various websites and from this I surmise that they are "Nice Guys".

So if a band writes good music, but are actually rapists will you still listen to the music? will you still evaluate them and their music the same?

And........

Jaz Coleman is an *******, a smart one, but an *******. Killing Joke still make f*cking great music.

He doesn't owe anything to me, least of all to be a nice guy.

Your logic is flawed.

-AC

Victor Von Doom

I would, personally.

jaden101
Charles Manson has wrote some good tunes....look at your game girl... cool

papabeard
Jaz Coleman is an *******, a smart one, but an *******. Killing Joke still make f*cking great music.

He doesn't owe anything to me, least of all to be a nice guy.

Your logic is flawed.

-AC

I dont think its "my" "logic" thats the problem here laughing

Did I say anyone owes anything to me?

papabeard
Originally posted by jaden101
Charles Manson has wrote some good tunes....look at your game girl... cool

What do you mean?

jaden101
What do you mean?

what i mean is that "look at your game girl" is a good tune written by charles manson

KMC
Aagh anyone who has tickets to see them at the BIC - i hate you! sooo wanted to see them. sad lol

Alpha Centauri
I'm going to assume the "lol" is indicating that your previous sentence was a joke.

Prince fan and all that.

-AC

KMC
Actually no it wasnt, i was just laughing that i was so annoyed about it. Bit pathetic really. You've made me feel stupid now.
yes i am a Prince fan but i love them too.

Makedde
I've heard of these guys, thought I might download a few of their songs, see what they are like.

wicker_man
Another example of what media hype can do for you.

jaden101
Originally posted by wicker_man
Another example of what media hype can do for you.

apparently quite the opposite...although the media hype is now clearly out of control...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2088-2003708,00.html

Victor Von Doom
The internet is a medium.

Slay
Those,I bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor guys?
They haven't been getting any attention around here.I guess that'll happen soon then...I saw their Video on TV once...

jaden101
Originally posted by Slay
Those,I bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor guys?
They haven't been getting any attention around here.I guess that'll happen soon then...I saw their Video on TV once...

incorrect...they get loads of attention where you're from...of course that's only if you really are from the "butthole of society"

Red Superfly
OK, enough is enough, Mr DJ.

Would you please stop playing Arctic Monkeys in EVERY pub, in EVERY bar, in EVERY Godamned place I go into.

I leave to escape the monotony, only to walk straight back into another bar playing the same damn thing.

I am never usually one to say the typical Know-all-college-boy phrase such as "they are overplayed" because usually there are ways to escape overplayed bands, just leave, change channel, etc. But I can't escape. I try to, but the Arctic Monkeys won't stop badgerring my ears like some freaky brain rape man. I can't stand it any longer. Stop the world, I'm getting off.

Victor Von Doom
I've only ever heard them once, as it happens.

rezzna
I have two problems with this outfit:

1: They had a record out, a cult of people heard it, it was distributed, became a "cool" no-name band. however despite the obvious time between the album they did then and the album they did for major label release, they forgot to write any new tunes! d'oh!

I mean really. bands don't do that. it makes no sense. Lazy, uninspired and a horrific sign of an age in which people are so aware that the "pop market" are afraid of new music, they even fear new material from a band guaranteed to sell large quantities.

2: They became so popular through being whispered about as being unknowns. Everyone thought, oh wow no one has heard of this band and before you knew it it was the fastest selling album in UK chart history (Ithink, uk chart history isnt my area of expertise.) Okay, fair enough, the band are alright, some mildly interesting moments, however an overwhelming feel of 90's garages full of drunk teenagers, (accept it, this kind of punky britrock is not the future. It's the past again. which is actually what i think the future is now. what's going on?! Is our future a past or is the past actually the future but before the subsequent revelations. i dont care)

TBH, I really am not a fan of that whole sound and scene, however there are some bands that genuinely impressed me, British Sea Power, Interpol, Wolf Parade, the Constantines, but the chances of these bands making it big were ruined by one thing... they challennge you, that's why their material is good, and why the "pop market" will never buy their records.

let's face it, the charts (in the UK at least) are decided by around 100,000 - 150,000 complete ****ing idiots with no taste and a subscription to NME/Smash Hits or whatever bullshit. Ignore them. Dont try and get them to buy your material. forget it.

phew, that was fun... catch ya later

Max

Alpha Centauri
Interpol are nothing like those bands, and they're not exactly challenging.

They're making money off a sound that was extremely popular with Joy Division, Editors are doing the same. Although to be fair I do like some of their songs.

I don't think there's anything but negatives to be applied to Arctic Monkeys. A novelty if ever I saw it.

-AC

Sir Whirlysplat
Arctic mokeys, catchy derivative, good hooks and lots of them, pop nothing more and nothing less.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Time Magazine went nuts over these guys, too. Are they really as bad as everyone is saying?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Time Magazine went nuts over these guys, too. Are they really as bad as everyone is saying?

Not really. It's extraneous backlash to balance out the surfeit of hype.

That said, they are shit.

The hype is more about their marketing 'innovation' than the music.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Aha. I haven't not misunderstood your contradiciton/perfect sense; they aren't as bad as it seems, but they are still shit. Correct?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Aha. I haven't not misunderstood your contradiciton/perfect sense; they aren't as bad as it seems, but they are still shit. Correct?

Indeed.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I heard some of their songs the other day. Yeah, you're right; they are shit. The lead singer sounds like a Midlands version of a Liam Gallagher/donkey with bells on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.