Darkside Yoda

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

calvin44
One the pod in the Sidious vs. Yoda duel at the end, Sidious uses lightning on Yoda, andturns away his face, and comes back with a aggrivated look on his face. Sidious is shocked. Does Yoda use the dark side here? Does he use Force-lightning? This has been bothering me since i first saw ROTS, could sombidy please clarify?

Sacul
He doesn't use force lightning. What was happening was that Sidious was using force-lightning on Yoda, and Yoda was absorbing it/storing it in his hands. Now, when Yoda looked away, Sidious thought he was faltering because he couldn't absorb any more, but Yoda turned back again to show Sidious that he was still strong. It wasn't a dark-side technique, Yoda was just displaying that he was capable of absorbing all of that power. And then, Yoda, who had absorbed all of the force-lightning, reflected it back at Sidious, which caused that strange explosion. This is similar to how Yoda reflected the lightning that Dooku sent at him in Episode 2.

Or at least that's my understanding.

calvin44
I thought of that, but Sidious' expression changed my mind.

Lightsnake
I think Sidious was naturally worried because he knew the ramifications of compressing lightning like that....we all know Yoda'd willingly die if he could finish Sidious

calvin44
But Yoda's expression was that of giving-in and accepting the dark side, because it was neccesary in that instance.

Tangible God
Actually it was more of a "I told you so/pissed off at that mofo look."

He said that Sidious's trust in the Dark Side was misplaced and this was him proving that the Light Side could overcome the power of the Dark. Sidious was shocked at this display of power and discipline Yoda exerted over his(Sidious's) Lightning.

Faroth
Yeah. Sidious was like "Oh s***, I'm screwed." when Yoda gave him the "Alright, I've had more than enough of you, you bastard." look.

calvin44
Maybe the commentary will give me some help on this.

calvin44
NOPE. They only talk about how evil Ian makes Sidious look in that scene.

Ganner Rhysode
I think TG and Faroth pretty much covered it...

calvin44
HUH?

Dark Aristokrat
Originally posted by calvin44
One the pod in the Sidious vs. Yoda duel at the end, Sidious uses lightning on Yoda, andturns away his face, and comes back with a aggrivated look on his face. Sidious is shocked. Does Yoda use the dark side here? Does he use Force-lightning? This has been bothering me since i first saw ROTS, could sombidy please clarify?

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6849/bib5cf.jpg

Sacul
Yoda got knocked back so far because he weighed so much less than Sidious, right? I found that funny!

Captain REX
Calvin, are you serious?

Yoda does not fall to the Dark Side for second, it's a "I'll show you, you old fart!" look that he gives Sidious, and Sidious thinks "Oh shit, he's overpowering me!" not "Oh shit, Yoda's actually evil!"

calvin44
Calm down Rex, i was just curious, that maybe Yoda used the darkside for a moment to do what neaded to be done, cause it sure as hell looked like it to me.

Jawa Lord
Either: He threw the lightning back and Sidious was worried he couldn't handle his own power redirected at him. (Remember Mace Windu blocking his Lightning and redirecting it?)

Or: Yoda used his energy and blended it with the Lightning to just explode in some uber-cool explosive energy ball. That would make more sense. If Sidious' Lightning didn't knock Yoda off the first time, what makes you think that compressing it would make it more powerful or generate more Lightning? It wouldn't. Yoda blended it. That's why it changed to an awkward blue revolving ball.

DE Calvin
On page 178-179 of LoE, Dooku says that Yoda has used the Darkside before...

Ogami Itto
I don't think Yoda would use the darkside calvin

DE Calvin
Have you read LoE?

JaehSkywalker
nope... not me!

just jumping in! big grin

DE Calvin
Dooku's word for word thoughts on page 178-179 in LoE: "And on Vjun, only months ago, YodaHimself had admitted as much. 'Carry a darkness within me, I do', he had said."

Dark Aristokrat
I think you're misinterpretating the words, really. Yoda wasn't all "dark sided" when he fought or anything. Yoda's dedicated the majority of almost a millenium to being the ideal jedi who abides by the code. I'm really not sure what you're trying to get at.

DE Calvin
Originally posted by Dark Aristokrat
I think you're misinterpretating the words, really. Yoda wasn't all "dark sided" when he fought or anything. Yoda's dedicated the majority of almost a millenium to being the ideal jedi who abides by the code. I'm really not sure what you're trying to get at. I'm trying to get at, that Yoda beleived that the darkside was neaded to defeat the darkside, once and for all.

Ogami Itto
How can a someone who's seen Star Wars say that???sounds like fanboy fantasy 2 me

DE Calvin
Originally posted by Ogami Itto
How can a someone who's seen Star Wars say that???sounds like fanboy fantasy 2 me
Maybe you should read some. Anybody can watch a screen aimlessly.

Ogami Itto
and when exactly did Yoda plan on hatching this plan???

DE Calvin
Huh? I'm saying that Yoda used the darkside when necessary.

office jesus
Here we go. ANNNND...BS, BS, BS.

Dark Aristokrat
Originally posted by DE Calvin
Huh? I'm saying that Yoda used the darkside when necessary.

And I'm saying he didn't.

DE Calvin
Well, If you want, you can take it up with Lucerno, cause thats what he said.

office jesus
Well, If you want, you can take it up with Lucerno, cause thats what he said.

Who in the blue hell is Lucerno? Whatever he said was obvious bullshit. Yoda is one of the purest Jedi, and I do believe he'd die before he'd succumb to the Dark Side.

DE Calvin
James Lucerno wrote many Star Wars books.

office jesus
Most Star Wars novels suck. Meh. They aren't considered canon, so..they don't count.

DE Calvin
If they are liscensed by Lucasarts, they are canon, buddy. They are just as canon as KOTOR.

office jesus
Dude. Lucas himself sees the novels AND EU as a very seperate universe, therefore, they AREN'T canon.

DE Calvin
Originally posted by office jesus
Dude. Lucas himself sees the novels AND EU as a very seperate universe, therefore, they AREN'T canon.
Ok So Marka Ragnos and Revan, and EVERY other EU character isn't real, you're saying?

office jesus
You're missing my point entirely. He doesn't consider the novels or games apart of mainstream canon. Could someone ELSE explain this to him?

Captain REX
Dooku's word for word thoughts on page 178-179 in LoE: "And on Vjun, only months ago, YodaHimself had admitted as much. 'Carry a darkness within me, I do', he had said."

You are misinterpreting. Somewhere in the history of Yoda's lifetime, he was tempted by the Dark Side, and experienced something life changing because of these temptations that kept him on the Light Side...or something. Buddha-esque, really.

But Yoda isn't saying "Use the Dark Side, I secretly do!" he's just saying he has that one little dark bump in his road of life.

office jesus
Originally posted by Captain REX
You are misinterpreting. Somewhere in the history of Yoda's lifetime, he was tempted by the Dark Side, and experienced something life changing because of these temptations that kept him on the Light Side...or something. Buddha-esque, really.

But Yoda isn't saying "Use the Dark Side, I secretly do!" he's just saying he has that one little dark bump in his road of life.

THANK YOU REX. Looks like someone else has been paying attention to the continuity. xD.

office jesus
Now. If only someone would explain to this guy that the novels aren't really considered canon.

Fishy
Now. If only someone would explain to this guy that the novels aren't really considered canon.

They are in an EU FORUM..... That is where you are posting afterall an EU forum..

DE Calvin
Just cuase you can't read, doesn't mean they aren't canon, now stfu noob.

office jesus
Oh that's classic. Thanks for that.

DE Calvin
Anytime. If you are gonna say that books don't count mayeb you should get out of the EU Forum. That is what it is about, EU!

chilled monkey
Just to clarify:

No Yoda did not use the Dark side, nor did he succumb to it. He did study some aspects of it, in order to better defend against it. He faced temptation and resisted it. That's what is meant in LoE.

The look when he threw the lightening back was one of determination.

And yes, the books etc do count. How else do you fill in the blanks?

DE Calvin
How could that be derived from the LoE passage?

chilled monkey
How could that be derived from the LoE passage?

"Yoda a darkness carries with him."

Do you have a better interpretation?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.