Manwe Vs Melkor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jesse7
Both Valar at the peak of their power, a battle to the non existent death.

I think Manwe will overcome Melkor.

ESB - 1138
Morgoth at the peak of his power was declared the strongest single valar so I will have to say the dark enemy wins

fini
yeah Melkor Would win, but I like Manwe better.

DanielLB
I would have to agree with fini and ESB

bogen
melkor would own

LadyOfMirkwood9
Manwe for sure

thefallen544
At the peak of both their power Melkor was stronger given the greatest in power and knowledge over all other Valar. In a one on one battle the odds are on Manwe sadly loosing this one.

finwe33
as much as it pains me to say manwe would fall (and i mean that i have a BIG tatoo of manwe on my arm) Melkor IS the most powerful off all the valar AND after the hiding of valnor manwe and all the other valars power wained ALOT!

Belegūr

thefallen544

Belegūr

vanice

thefallen544
Even in the Dagor Dagorath, Eru didn't get directly involved the battle was between The Valar supported by the peoples of Middle-Earth and Earendil Vs Morgoth. Also as for what weapons. As they took on physical form and they did do battle they were capable of using weapons, Morgoth himself used "Grond" also known as the 'Hammer of the Underworld' whilst that was destroyed at the end of the First Age it is just an example. Also at the height of his power Melkor was the mightiest before he split his power even Manwe (his own brother in the vision of Eru) is seen as not able to look into Melkor's eyes unflinching.

ESB -1138
But even with Morgoth's full power he could not contend to the full might of the Valar.

vanice

thefallen544
In a fight between Melkor and Manwe not the entire might of the Valar. I'm guessing if faught by superiour numbers of the Valar then Melkor would be beaten, heck Tulkas alone beat him in terms of strength and phyiscal acts. Also, if we assume that at this point Melkor was at full power and chose to adopt a physical form. Seeing as the question is mostly hypothetical and is based on facts applied to an imagined situation.

My point isn't that he used Grond in any specific time or power level more the fact that he COULD have used weapons. If you choose not to believe me thats your lookout but the question is a hypothetical one if Manwe and Melkor faught one on one at their peak then who would win, my answer Melkor.

This is assuming in list form
1. Both were at full power
2. Eru didn't interfere
3. The other Valar didn't interfere

ESB -1138

thefallen544

kamikz
Lol! Ok, I know Tolkien wasn't a nazi or anything, but that does sound a little racist ^.

vanice

thefallen544
Although if both in physical form one could slay the others physical form, whilst the spirit wouldn't die then it would have at least been a Victory per se. Didn't Tulkas fight with Melkor before he took the Simarils "whilst the earth was still young" why fight if it would lead nowhere the physical form can be slain even if they were to take a new physical form.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/m/morgoth.html
That just shows the translation of the name Morgoth and yes it sounds sligtly racist but I think Tolkien means it more in respect of Black and White, Negative and Positive, Cats and Dogs and so forth rather than actual colouration of said beings.

vanice
Yes It would be a little victory, but the thread started as a fight to the bitter end.

And yes tulkas fought melkor and chained him with aules chain...

Well "mor" as in morgoth, morgul, moraquendi and so on means dark. Thats why I said so, and as you know I don't quite trust EoA.

And I don't know too much about shape-shifting in LOTR but I know they can change pretty much when ever they liked, for example saurons fight with huam the dog. So they should be able to get a new physical form when the old one is "dead". but I'm only guessing.

thefallen544
Well then please allow to me point out another site
http://www.lotrlibrary.com/agesofarda/morgoth.asp

And in fact a direct quote from the Silmarillion, Chapter 9 "Of The Flight Of The Noldor" page 79, 22 lines down to be exact in my version and I quote

"The Feanor rose, and lifting up his hand before Manwe he cursed Melkor, naming him Morgoth , the Black Foe of the World ; and by that name only was he known to the Eldar ever after"

vanice
maybe so.. I only have the Swedish version, but you're leaving the subject.

thefallen544
Well I've pretty much stated my point and side of the argument and whilst what I posed was somewhat of a tangent it is not totally off topic. However just to reiterate that if they faught Melkor would at least destroy Manwe's physical form at the time. Whilst this is only my opinion it seems the evidence suggested by the text points to this.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by vanice
Yes It would be a little victory, but the thread started as a fight to the bitter end.

And yes tulkas fought melkor and chained him with aules chain...

Well "mor" as in morgoth, morgul, moraquendi and so on means dark. Thats why I said so, and as you know I don't quite trust EoA.

And I don't know too much about shape-shifting in LOTR but I know they can change pretty much when ever they liked, for example saurons fight with huam the dog. So they should be able to get a new physical form when the old one is "dead". but I'm only guessing.

Morgoth couldn't take a new form for he was cursed to remain in the form he was in; as the towering giant. Same as the Balrogs. Sauron could shape shift until around the time he forged the One Ring then he couldn't either.

vanice
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Morgoth couldn't take a new form for he was cursed to remain in the form he was in; as the towering giant. Same as the Balrogs. Sauron could shape shift until around the time he forged the One Ring then he couldn't either.

but It's melkor, not morgoth. read before you say anything. mad

thefallen544
Melkor and Morgoth are one and the same, the only difference is what name they were known by and the period of time it was. Even if we assume/know that they could take different physical forms after their first, second, third, fourth, seventy-fifth form was slain in a battle between the two who would slay who first Melkor would slay Manwe.

If we mean who would kill whos spirit it wouldn't happen that fate won't be fought until the Dagor Dagorath where Turin shall slay Melkor/Morgoth upon the Black Blade so looking at it from that point of view this is all irreleavant and we can all go back to the land of puppy dogs and rainbows if thats the case.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by vanice
but It's melkor, not morgoth. read before you say anything. mad

And Morgoth is Melkor. You seem to not be able to understand that. Melkor and Morgoth are the same person. Melkor has never shown the ability to take a different form when he came to Middle-Earth and neither have the Balrogs.

Know what you are talking about before you say anything.

vanice
Originally posted by ESB -1138
And Morgoth is Melkor. You seem to not be able to understand that. Melkor and Morgoth are the same person. Melkor has never shown the ability to take a different form when he came to Middle-Earth and neither have the Balrogs.

Know what you are talking about before you say anything.

I know he is the same person. what I'm trying to say is melkor (morgoth), if you so hardly wish to call him that, lost many of his abilities after locking himself up in angband. when you said he couldn't change that was after he had "the peak of his power". when I said melkor not morgoth I meant that he had his peak when they called him melkor nor morgoth. and the thread says melkor, so I think he meant melkor when they called him that. He obvoiusly took a physical form, in arda after the music of ainur. sauron a maia changed shapes many times, he was morgoths "apprentice". the valar was of higher rang, they could do more then the maia.

and what the h*ll has the balrogs to do with any of this? If you're referring to the statement that the balrogs are maia, well then there is only one thing I can say... YOU HAVE NO PROOF!!!

could you at least read what the thread's all about before you start arguing...

thefallen544
I think the Balrog point was put in as a comparison, a common used thing in debating to reference other parties to help illustrate a point now if perhaps we could all calm down and stop biting at each others ankles before this thread ceases to be a lore discussion and falls to be a petty squabble. As for proof Balrogs were Maiar as you asked for it then might I quote. The Silmarillion Valaquenta, of the Maiar and of the Enemies

"For of the Maiar many were drawn to his splendour in the days of his greatness, and remained in that alleigance down into his darkness; and others he corrupted afterwards to his service with lies and trecherous gifts. Dreadful among these spirits were the Valaraukar, the scourges of fire that in Middle-earth were called the Balrogs, demons of terror"

Whilst they, and Melkor may have been able to change their physical form at will, as Sauron demonstrated so well. Saurons physical form was still able to be slain I see no reason why it would not the the same with Melkor or Manwe. I guess the next logical progression would be would the body be weaker upon the remaking, would some of the inherent power have been lost?

vanice

thefallen544
i believe the line that others were drawn to Melkor meant other Maiar not just others in general. The line has to be read within context of the passage, and I have stated that I already think Melkor would win.

ESB -1138
According to the Silmarillion that I own:

Yet so great was the power of his uprising that in ages forgotten he contended with Manwe and all the Valar, and through long years in Arda held dominion over most of the lands of the Earth. But he was not alone. For of the Maiar many were drawn to his splendour in the days of his greatness, and remained in that allegiance down into his darkness; and others he corrupted afterwards to his service with lies and treacherous gifts. Dreadful among there spirits were the Valaraukar, the scourges of fire that in Middle-earth were called the Balrogs, demons of terror.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.