What is wrong with the Academy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chinabing
So Star Wars Ep III get just one lousy nomination? No nominations in special effects, this from the company that has re-invented them time and time again? Are the voters so angry at Lucas they can't even fathom nominating his 'outsider' company, the same year when outsider films are nominated for best picture? Is Lucas being punished for his success? Is the Academy that petty?

The opening battle scene of ROTS should have won the Oscar for effects right there in the first 10 minutes! This is truly a slap in the face. They only nominated Narnia, Kong, and WotW, they could have nominated ROTS. One can only wonder why.

And even worse, no nominations for John William's music in ROTS, while he did get it for Munich, it's not the same.

Worse still, no nods for best supporting actor for Ian McDiarmid? He was absolutely charming and diabolical in the same role!

Let's hope they win the makeup nomination.

Darth Sadistic
I LOVE Star Wars, but Narnia's effects beat ROTS big time.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Darth Sadistic
I LOVE Star Wars, but Narnia's effects beat ROTS big time.

Yeah, but WotW didn't.

They could have at least NOMINATED it, if not gave it.

I wanted to see it get sound effects, editing, etc.. more of the technical awards. (music score too... but not win.)

The acting never stood a chance. Ian was great, but it was great for a StarWars movie.... they like gay cowboys and risky journalists... actually anything that's liberal stands a good chance... wink

Would have been a nice tip o' the hat to george to give him a best director nom., just to acknowledge all he did for the movies, but I digress....

(I must say that while I had my hopes, this doesn't really surprise me) stick out tongue

PVS
the academy hates lucas.
which i am conveniently apathetic to since
i dont give a shit about the academy or their awards.

Stun
best makeup lol? do they have no taste in special fricken effects??

sithsaber408
Apparently not. big grin

Stun
i'm sorry, the end battle? is that not worthy for an oscar in it's own right? ahhhh, screw em! and i hope to god that Paris Hilton get's a razziestick out tongue

Stun
What the f**k? why wasnt Artoo nominated for best actor?What the f**k?

sithsaber408
They just don't honor StarWars.

In a few years GL will get some honorary crap for his "contribution to films" or something... but that's it.

Remember, he quit the Director's Guild of America(DGA), and turned in his MPAA(motion picture assoc. of america) card when they tried to sue him for not putting the credits before the movie on Empire.

While history may prove GL right,( he has had the last laugh with the success of his films after all,) there are still enough bitter execs in Hollywood to stop any actors/directors who are friends of his that might have voted for him. cool

kalsemo
Originally posted by chinabing
So Star Wars Ep III get just one lousy nomination? No nominations in special effects, this from the company that has re-invented them time and time again? Are the voters so angry at Lucas they can't even fathom nominating his 'outsider' company, the same year when outsider films are nominated for best picture? Is Lucas being punished for his success? Is the Academy that petty?

The opening battle scene of ROTS should have won the Oscar for effects right there in the first 10 minutes! This is truly a slap in the face. They only nominated Narnia, Kong, and WotW, they could have nominated ROTS. One can only wonder why.

And even worse, no nominations for John William's music in ROTS, while he did get it for Munich, it's not the same.

Worse still, no nods for best supporting actor for Ian McDiarmid? He was absolutely charming and diabolical in the same role!

Let's hope they win the makeup nomination.

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!!

tlbauerle
HAHA...

Fanboys will cry themselves to sleep tonight...

In my opinion, it shouldn't have even gotten it for Make-Up...remember the Natalie scene on the balcony? She looked like crapola...if you can screw up the make-up on someone like Natalie in such an easy scene, you don't deserve an Oscar!

I think the nominations are fair...but there are sure a lot of people who will be pissed about WOTW...which I again say is a fabulous film and the F/X were simply amazinG!

Ast
Im glad it didnt get nominated for effects, sure they did some incredible things, but every second of the movie looked fake as ****.

Thorin
wtf is wotw.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by tlbauerle
HAHA...

Fanboys will cry themselves to sleep tonight...

In my opinion, it shouldn't have even gotten it for Make-Up...remember the Natalie scene on the balcony? She looked like crapola...if you can screw up the make-up on someone like Natalie in such an easy scene, you don't deserve an Oscar!

I think the nominations are fair...but there are sure a lot of people who will be pissed about WOTW...which I again say is a fabulous film and the F/X were simply amazinG!

laughing out loud

I always thought that she was supposed to look jacked up. I thought that it was an "at home" scene, and that she didn't have any makeup on at all.

Just an observation from a married dude, but most wives ain't gonna have makeup on in the middle of the night for their husbands.

(It would sure as sh*t clear up that line of "love has blinded you" too, meaning.... I have no makeup on right now, but..... you still love me!) stick out tongue

amity75
The oscars mean nothing. This is the mob who preferred Dances with Wolves to Goodfellas and Forrest Gump to The Shawshank Redemption. Someone should drug test the academy voters.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by amity75
The oscars mean nothing. This is the mob who preferred Dances with Wolves to Goodfellas and Forrest Gump to The Shawshank Redemption. Someone should drug test the academy voters.

And gave Denzel Washington his Best Actor for "Training Day"

not Malcom X, not Hurricane.....

Det. Alonzo the thug.

"Training Day" laughing

Tangible God
Originally posted by chinabing

Let's hope they win the makeup nomination. Revenge of the Sith was good, but........it's no Return of the King.

sithsaber408

Jedi Priestess
Actually I was kind of surprised that it didn't get a nod for costumes, but that's all I figured it would get if that. Makeup?

Lucas pretty much sealed his fate again this year with his speech at the People's Choice Awards where he basically told Hollywood and the critics to shove it, so this was no shocker for me.

Ast

DeVi| D0do

sithsaber408
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
What the hell is wrong with you? I don't hate Star Wars. Todd doesn't hate Star Wars. We just don't think it's the greatest thing ever made! Is that so hard to understand? My god, this place is starting to turn into MF where the only people who post are insane fanboys who can't see/talk/smell anything that isn't Star Wars and dream of having orgies with George Lucas, Rick McCallum and Jar Jar.

That aside... I am not at all surprised ROTS was snubbed as it was. Though that's not to say I think it neccessarily deserved it. VFX - yeah, it didn't deserve a nom there... like Ast said, nothing looked real and there was nothing new there. I think the noms in that category are worthy ones. WOTW has great special effects... though I think the award will go to Kong.

I think it is definitely deserving of a Costume nom... but it's obvious from the nominees that politics played a huge part in not only this category, but all the rest of 'em too.

As for John Williams... as I said in another thread a while ago, I'm not sure if it counts as being 'original' anymore as a lot of themes from the other films were used. That said, I think ROTS had the best score of any film, and not only of last year... Good to see Williams nominated though... it just wouldn't be an Oscar ceremony without his name there at least once.

And for Sound mixing/editing... well I really don't know enough about it to comment there. But I thought it might at least get a nom there...

Makeup... Never really thought about it in much detal, but I guess it has a good shot in this category... I thought the burned Anakin was fablulous! And the tall alien guy on Utapau was great too...

Ian for Supporting Actor? You've got to be dreaming. His was an excellent performance... but not nearly oscar-worthy.

On another note: Kudos to the Academy for recognising Batman Begins for something at least...

Oh, and this is for AST as well:

That post wasn't addressed to either of you.

I agree that you can like SW without being blind to it's faults/flaws.

I myself know that it has problems.

My issue is with a jerk who has to post crap like" the fanboys are crying tonight"... to express himself( which isn't necessary)but on his personal webpage praises starwars. And says he likes all of them. What makes him different from any other fan?

Oh and DD, I've been at these forums longer than you and, like I said yesterday, Ive got a baby sister older than you.

Don't refer to me as "fanboy" again.

sithsaber408
Actually I've got seniority/age over AST, too. stick out tongue

Look, no hard feelings boys, my issue was with Todd.

Unless you owe him money or something, let him respond to my post.

Ast
Originally posted by sithsaber408

Whoopdy ****ing doo.

sithsaber408
Ohh.. intelligent.

And mature. roll eyes (sarcastic)

You must have made all the girls swoon.

I don't have any prob with you AST. Why are you trying to fight someone else's argument?

Ohh... GO GIANTS!!!

evil face

tlbauerle

Look, no hard feelings boys, my issue was with Todd.

Unless you owe him money or something, let him respond to my post.

F*ck you...

I never raved about SITH on my site. NEVER...I was VERY excited about SITH, but it wasn't as good as it could have been...the first hour anyways. But you, are proving to be an idiot.

As for AST and DEVI|, at least its good to know I've associated with the intelligent KMC crowd. Thanks guys! Too bad we don't have DSA to chat about this without the moronic fanboys!

sithsaber408
F*ck you...

I never raved about SITH on my site. NEVER...I was VERY excited about SITH, but it wasn't as good as it could have been...the first hour anyways. But you, are proving to be an idiot.

As for AST and DEVI|, at least its good to know I've associated with the intelligent KMC crowd. Thanks guys! Too bad we don't have DSA to chat about this without the moronic fanboys!

Hmmm...

"I like starwars..all of em"

but... you never raved about sith.

but... im the idiot.

oh... and the fanboy.

(sigh)

blow

sithsaber408
Nice language for a mormon, by the way.

wink

JenR1215
watch it, Shitsaber.

tlbauerle

tlbauerle
BTW...

I'm quitting this...I think I've said my piece...and others have certainly chimed in as well. I'm done, and would please ask for you to stop antagonizing me, and my friends that I respect who have stood up for me without being asked.

Thanks!

JenR1215
Spoken like a true Man. WOOT! w00t

sithsaber408
Originally posted by JenR1215
watch it, Shitsaber.

What am I looking for?

tlbauerle
Originally posted by JenR1215
Spoken like a true Man. WOOT! w00t

Ha...don't tell my wife that. She might begin to expect more from me! eek!

Ast

No prob man. wink

Ah yes, the "KMC Idiot Forum". big grin

sithsaber408
BTW...

I'm quitting this...I think I've said my piece...and others have certainly chimed in as well. I'm done, and would please ask for you to stop antagonizing me, and my friends that I respect who have stood up for me without being asked.

Thanks!

OK dude. That's cool. I guess I just TOTALLY misread what was on your site. I never meant to antagonize, just to clear things up. (Actually you started swearing, so I think you were the antagonist wink )

Good luck with your music/ movie scripts. I mean that.

I guess I got the wrong idea from reading your homepage, my mistake.

Don't hesitate to post if you see me on the boards, I will be cordial.surrender

sithsaber408
And dont call me f*cking "fanboy". mad

I know what that means, and I'm not one. I don't have any costumes, or books, or toys, I just happen to think SW is cool, including the new ones.

I see all of the faults in SW too.

(This was a general public service anouncement for any posters) big grin

JenR1215
Ha...don't tell my wife that. She might begin to expect more from me! eek!
Your secret's safe with me shutup

Thorin
ok people lets all chill and get along.
we all like starwars here or we wouldnt post.
so give the fighting a rest.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by amity75

DWW and Forrest Gump are good movies! mad

Captain REX
Sithsaber, you are currently deserving of a kick in the head. Please, knock off the attitude.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Captain REX
Sithsaber, you are currently deserving of a kick in the head. Please, knock off the attitude.

It's already over with, judging from both of our last posts.

smile

"Go back to your drinks...Jedi business"

DeVi| D0do

sithsaber408
OK cool!!!!

We can be brother fanboys!!!

Oooh can we, huh, huh?

I've earned more than enough respect in my life from people who are far more important than you.

No offense or anything, but in the grand scheme of life, an 18 year old chat forum poster isn't high on my list of priorities.

Even one as intelligent, witty, and with such blazing insights that it's a wonder people don't just line up to listen to him talk, as yourself.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

I already apologized to Todd, AST, and was about to offer the same to you until I read this.

I'm with Stun... you're just a downer dude.

However, I will now refer to myself as a fanboy, if that means I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum as you.

(goes to change title to FANBOY FANATIC) cool

DeVi| D0do
Good boy.
No offense or anything, but in the grand scheme of life, an 18 year old chat forum poster isn't high on my list of priorities.

Even one as intelligent, witty, and with such blazing insights that it's a wonder people don't just line up to listen to him talk, as yourself.

I already apologized to Todd, AST, and was about to offer the same to you until I read this.

I'm with Stun... you're just a downer dude.

However, I will now refer to myself as a fanboy, if that means I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum as you. Aww, shucks... I'll give you intelligent and witty, but blazing insights..? You're far too kind.

You know, I almost wish I cared about how you feel about me... This is an internet forum. It's pretty hard to take anything on here seriously. I'm not here to make friends (I do actually have some semblance of a life)... for all I know you could have two heads or something. As for an apology, I think I'd prefer it better this way.

So we're agreed we don't respect each other? Yes? Good. I'll just go back to laughing at all the fuss I've caused. smile

Peace, bro. cool

sithsaber408
laughing

Ok, I'm done....bro.

My wife is reading this, and says I should be nicer. You're probably just angry, a little lonely, and have an inferiority complex (she was a psych major wink ) that makes it funny for you to upset folks on chat rooms.

I agree with her... I'm sorry DD.

Maybe I'll buy you a drink when you can go to a bar.

As for me, it's 11:30, she's impatient....
and I got business to tend to.

Excuse me. Happy Dance

DeVi| D0do
The drinking age is 18 down here and I never have business to tend to so I'll take that beer now thanks. cheers

And your wife might want to ask for her money back because I'm not angry or lonely (I live in a house with seven other people, getting alone time is actually pretty damn hard), and perhaps I do have an inferiority complex (though I don't know if I'd classify it as that) but I don't see how that would make it funny to upset people... but I guess that's why she's the psych major and I'm not. What makes it funny to me is how seriously people take these forums... I just see this place as a way to pass time.

And I don't want you to be nicer either. That would make it harder for me to not like you. Actually, scrap that... the arrogance conveyed through your 'niceness' will make it easier... smile

It's all good, bro. I'm done too. For good. cool
Now lets all forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream! Happy Dance

ladyjedi05
Hey Chinabing~ You took the words right out of my mouth~ I agree 100%~ Come on~ McDiarmid should have won an oscar~ and the music John Williams is only a genius~ I love the music~ and as a movie its beautiful to watch~

Jedi Priestess
me + reading this thread = hysterical

Ushgarak
Just how silly and petty can these arguments get aorund here?

Cut it out, all of you- and don't give me any smartass answers about you already having done so, because in my experience, you guys never mean that when you say it.

Just plain stop. The next person who in any way tries to continue wone of these dumb arguments gets a ban.

Stun
the fact that it wasnt nominated for 'Best Special Effects' insults my intelligence - i mean WTF?

btw, why are so many 'fans' - so called 'fans' turning there back on this movie?What the f**k?

Ganner Rhysode
I came into this topic expecting some sort of conspiracy theory about corruption within the Jedi Academy, or something wrong with it. I am thoroughly dissapointed.

However, staying on topic, as amazing as it was, maybe the academy merely felt that there were movies that were BETTER?

Stun
in special effects and in my 'honest' opinion - the movie was untouchable on that scale

I've let the Academy know that i'm not impressed, so they reply to me soon i hope. I just want a reason why it wasnt nominated, and i hope i get onewink

Stun
i never had much admiration for the Academy in the first place

The fact that it didnt get recognised for 'Best Visual Effects' - i find insulting, but hey! sh!t happensstick out tongue

Grand Moff Gav
ROTS doesn't get Oscers because it was a terrible piece of movie making. Much like the whole trilogy! They did not have the same "Magic" of the OT and they where clearly churned out for money.

((Sorry someone had to say it...ROTS Sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!))

Jedi Priestess
yet you continue to post in the PT section, that makes sense roll eyes (sarcastic)

Grand Moff Gav
Erm well oh yes it does! I post once every so often here (outside Queegs) Oh have you never posted in a thread dedicated to a film you don't like? or are these forums only for people who think that GL can do no wrong?

chinabing
Reading more into the nominations, there have to be a larger number of films entered into a category for it to have more than three nominees. For example the Animation Feature Film category there are just 3 because only a handful were entered into submission. (Sheesh, in '83 they gave "Jedi" the effects award because nobody else entered! I thought the Academy voters had a memory!)

So I'm guessing the same was for the visual effects category. Now, that is insane for so many reasons! Seen a hollywood thriller lately that doesn't have visual effects? How about a Sci-fi pic w/ no effects? Heck, even Wallace & Gromit was one big special effect! There are CG characters and background and digital rain and snow all over the place in films today, and they all could have been entered.

I don't begrudge Kong or Narnia or WotW for their nominations, it's just ROTS was superior. That 4-minute single tracking shot to start the film was just eye-popping, and a masterstroke. The fantastic Yoda-Sidous battle, interspersed with Obi-Wan/Anakin battle was stunning! I thought the motion-capture for Kong was a bit fake, and while I haven't seen Narnia yet, save for the lengthy trailers, talking animals have been done since cat food commercials in the 70s, and they don't do a lot for me. War of the Worlds had some good stuff, but nothing, nothing like the jaw-dropping stuff in ROTS.

While some voters thought the others films were better, the reasons why they voted their way are less-known... if only we had some exit polls! Because the visual effects Oscar is a beauty contest, and ROTS is Miss America!

When it comes to other categories, yes I do believe that McDiarmid should have been nominated, criminy they gave a nod to Jon Voight who was in one flick for basically a cameo! McDiarmid was oily and seductive and deadly, he was spot-on! He acted with excellence. He gave his Lucas lines depth and breadth.

ROTS was a powerful film, (the Times said it was better than ep. 4), and Lucas' original screenplay was also excellent. I know, mock this if you must, but lots of the wonderful dialogue and lines came from Lucas. Lucas knows how to really turn a phrase, he can write well. If you must mock Lucas for his space opera writing, you must also give him credit when he does it well. "Anakin, you're breaking my heart." "You must realize you are doomed." "Good is a point of view." "If one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise Jedi leader, you must embrace a larger view of The Force." Wonderfully inventive stuff. Lucas is writing space opera, and it's excellent space opera! Part of the beauty is one can derive so many different interpretations of what is being said. Lucas is a genius.

Williams' music, while derivative of course, has wonderful new themes and new takes, again for example the force theme during the 10 minute opener to ROTS. But voters were probably tired of hearing the same old Star Wars theme, and not bothering to hear the rest of it.

As for acting, I thought Natalie Portman did very well in ROTS. She was the heart and soul of the picture. She is a buzzsaw of an actress. For those who mocked Lucas putting out ads for all the actors in ROTS, it's really part of his duty as a director/owner. It's a professional courtesy.

Just because one may have seen the film over and over again, the emotional power of ROTS mostly lies in it's first viewing, which I will never forget. It stayed with me longer than Empire did. Let's face it most of us see a movie only once, while we often view Star Wars movies ad nauseum and nit-pick over every little thing. So too, ROTS was far better that Return of the King in so many different levels, (emtionally, effects, music, running time), and to think that that 3 & 3/4 hour butt-breaker won best pic a couple years ago is still incredible to think. And that was mostly because of the years-of-service that Jackson did. Nothing wrong with that, however Lucas toiled longer, and his prequels were #1, #2, and #1 in the box office they years they came out! Plus, Lucas has already won the Thalberg years-of-service award.

I do wonder if greed is part of it, I mean Lucas practically invented the modern effects movie, and he's still independent. Spielberg invented the blockbuster with "Jaws" and then Lucas blew it out of the water with Star Wars in '77. Are they still ticked off over the director's guild thing? The directors guild was wrong; let the director post his credit whereever the heck he or she wants to! That's what Lucas was fighting for, freedom over his movies. He's got what every film maker is striving for, total control of his work. It's the American dream, man.

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised at the stiff-arm the Academy gave ROTS. So what if Lucas stuck out his tongue at the People's Choice awards, (like Jar-Jar to Qui-Gon). That's it, people are *still* mad about Jar-Jar!

JaehSkywalker
THEY have no taste! no star wars? heck, no taste at all!

lol... just a lame and poor joke from a desperate for a star wars book right now fan girl.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
Oh have you never posted in a thread dedicated to a film you don't like?

um nope dont think I ever have what would be the point?

and I dont recall saying GL could do no wrong either

roughrider
Not even a nomination for VFX. While a slapdash, rushed effort like WOTW gets in. The Academy sure loves Spielberg more than Lucas. John Williams did brilliant work on Sith - but his work in Munich, with hardly any music, gets nominated.
Goddamn them all.
At least Lucas showed up all the naysayers and made a great film out of Sith, and is laughing all the way to the bank, unlike many other megabudget American films last year.

tlbauerle

Natalie Portman as the heart and soul of SITH?

WOTW a rushed effort?

....I'm speechless...

As for Williams' score....does the word 'ORIGINAL' mean anything to anyone here?

roughrider
Yes, I consider WOTW a rushed effort.
Spielberg is perhaps the best director out there for filming a big-budget FX-laden film quickly, completing it faster than anyone else could. Several times in his career, he has two films out in the same year. And they're not simple drawing room comedies like Woody Allen. But it wasn't enough this time. Waiting to get Munich off the ground, he and Cruise suddenly found a narrow window in their schedules to do WOTW - but the film looked to me like it needed more work, especially the script.

ORIGINAL SCORE - for your info, John Williams won for ANH, and was nominated for TESB and ROTJ. Also, Howard Shore recently won Oscars for two of the three LOTR films; Fellowship and Return of the King. The word 'Original' is not a limitation for continuing sequels. It's just a word. There is no Oscar for 'Adapted' Score. For a while in the nineties, they use to have an Oscar for Best Comedy Score, for comedic rather than dramatic films, but that's gone away.

Problem here is they only allow three nominations for VFX. They use to allow five, going back to the late 1980's. And there is SO much CG work done in films now, so many more FX laden films per year, it's time to go back to five.
If we had five, ROTS would surely be there. Academy couldn't be that obtuse. ( Or maybe they are...)

DeVi| D0do
For your info... (from http://www.oscars.org/77academyawards/rules/rule16.html):

Rule Sixteen
Special Rules for The Music Awards

A. CATEGORIES
I. Original Score:
An original score is a substantial body of music in the form of dramatic underscoring written specifically for the film by the submitting composer.

Notice how it says "written specifically for the film"? Not "written specifically for the film or taken from previous works". The Academy is not allowed to consider themes or riffs that were not specifically written for Episode III... and there was a lot of music that was taken directly out of the previous films. They are however allowed to consider all the new material which is why Williams received nominations for all three OT films and why Shore did for all two LOTR films. They must have just thought that the new material in ROTS was just not as good as some of the other films out there...

That said, I still think the new material in this film is some of the best film music I've heard in a very long time.

As for WOTW being a rushed job... I'd say absolutely. And if this is the calibre of work Spielberg is able to produce at this speed, I say bring on three films a year Steve!

And I've said my piece on the VFX a countless number of times in this thread: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4192987#post4192987

tlbauerle
Speaking of VFX...

I'm actually more pissed about SIN CITY being over looked that SITH. That film was flippin' AMAZING!!!!! (To look at)

DiamondBullets
I thought the burned Anakin was fabulous!

"fabulous"?????????? laughing laughing laughing

*cough-phaggot-cough*

laughing

DeVi| D0do
Yes, I thought it was FABULOUS. roll eyes (sarcastic)

*cough-f*ckyou-cough*

Since when was the term 'fabulous' only part of the homosexual lexicon?

DiamondBullets
Yes, I thought it was FABULOUS. roll eyes (sarcastic)

*cough-f*ckyou-cough*

Since when was the term 'fabulous' only part of the homosexual lexicon?

1. Oh, I'll bet you did! You loved seeing Hayden's body all hot and FLAMMING, didn't you?

2. no expression Um, no. That was a weak comeback.

3. For quite a while now. Its 2006; get with it.

DeVi| D0do
1. Yes. I thought I established that already.

2. No shit.

3. Well, I don't own a copy of the Gay Man's Dictionary, but I'm sure you're well versed, so I'll take your word for that...

sasa
To hell with the academy, the most important part is you enjoyed the film. Nuff said. smile

Grand Moff Gav
Here Here!

chinabing
The AP/Washington Post Blog chimes in on the Sith Snub:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/02/AR2006020200654.html

Specifially:
"The movie was one long visual effect, with Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen and a few other odd humans tossed in now and then to avoid getting classified as an animated film.

OK, so some of Lucas' creatures look cartoonish. But as visual spectacles go, it was the supreme achievement of a sci-fi franchise that pretty much sired the modern special-effects business.

As for the three nominees, two of which include effects by Lucas' homegrown outfit Industrial Light & Magic, I got mighty sick of all the talking animals by the end of "Narnia," which also had some cheesy fake panoramas, "King Kong" had a few moments of utterly phony-looking action and "War of the Worlds" looked like it just wasn't all quite there."

DeVi| D0do
Haven't seen Narnia so can't comment... Kong had many phony-looking moments, but Kong himself cannot be overlooked (Best. Visual effect. Ever.). Some shots in WOTW were not quite perfect but these a few and far between. The fact of the matter is that I believed in the worlds of Kong and WOTW much more than I did ROTS. And the fact that Lucas has given so much to the world of VFX and advanced the field so much doesn't matter... it's what's on screen that counts.

tlbauerle
Actually...I'll again mention that Lucas is deserving of a lifetime achievement award. I think that would be great to see.

DiamondBullets
1. Yes. I thought I established that already.

2. No shit.

3. Well, I don't own a copy of the Gay Man's Dictionary, but I'm sure you're well versed, so I'll take your word for that...

"Gay Man's Dictionary"<-----That was actually a good one. laughing thumb up I give you props for that one.

It don't take no pop-culutre expert to know that one. Thats such a basic gay word that everyone knows about; you dont have to live in the Amazon to not know that. My bad dawg, but I saw that some foo' said "fabulous", and I just had to have some fun. (especially when you said it in refference to makeup). There's nothing wrong with saying "fabulous"............if you're a 70-year-old woman (which I'm assuming you're not). I really hope you don't say that gay shit when you be at a bar wit' da fellaz.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
especially when you said it in refference to makeup laughing out loud Yes. I guess I did deserve it in that respect...

Actually...I'll again mention that Lucas is deserving of a lifetime achievement award. I think that would be great to see. You know, I think he already has... I know he got the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award last year, but I think he's also been given one from the Academy as well... maybe not a lifetime achievement one, but something. If I'm wrong I think he definitely deserves one... especially after all he's contributed to the VFX industry and filmmaking industry in general with the development of digital filmmaking etc.

Stun
lol, this bickering is pointless!

Lets just hope that 'Sith' get's the oscar it deserves - atleast most of us will be happyyes as for 'Best Visual Effects' and 'Best Music'? it's a pain in the ass! but sadly, shit happens.

JaehSkywalker
kong's effects are really obvious sometimes, especially when the girl is on his hand? it seems obvious its computerized....

and i think its tooo loooong for a run-and-follow-kong-with-a-lot-of-dangers-roaming-around movie.....

But still, i say SW desrves an award.....

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker
i think its tooo loooong for a run-and-follow-kong-with-a-lot-of-dangers-roaming-around movie.....
Of course it is. Which is why it's a good thing it's not that kind of movie...

JaehSkywalker
that's how i see it in my point of view though........

roughrider
Actually...I'll again mention that Lucas is deserving of a lifetime achievement award. I think that would be great to see.

I believe he already has that one - the Academy gave it to him late 80's, maybe mid 90's. The Irving Thalberg Award, as it's technically known.

tlbauerle
You're right...in 1991. Good call.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.