NHL discussion thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Anth
What do you think about it? Whose side are you on - Players or the Team Owners?

Note: If you do not watch hockey, play hockey, or love the sport. Please do not post here of such posts like 'hockey sucks'. This is not a thread for it.

ElectricBugaloo
maybe you should pay attention and realize the owners locked out the players.

Cipher
The whole problem stems from the owners who kept giving out larger and larger contracts to players. If someone offers to double your salary, are you going to turn them down?

Anth
No they won't. However, I am taking the sides of the owners in this sports debate.

Cipher
Why? The owners and Gary Bettman caused this through their folly. Spending more than they had and expanding into markets with no interest in their sport is a recipe for failure......

The league needs a cap of some kind (like other sports), but they should drop at least six teams as well.

Afro Cheese
I agree.

Shadow_King
no i think the players should stop being money grabbers and understand that they need the salary cap because like almost every team is going bankrupt.

Afro Cheese
Hockey is in such a pitiful condition right now. Plus it's really hard for me to get into with my team being th NY Rangers and all..

Shadow_King
anyways its all the states fault.

HockeyHorror
hockey cry

they got fix lot of things...

go Kings!

bastards never win laughing out loud

JKozzy
They don't need so much money, just play the damn game ffs roll eyes (sarcastic)

Cipher
Its all the states fault?

Bettman and the league are idiots who gave the players way too much money and expanded into way too many cities. Phoenix needed an NHL team?! One team in Florida maybe, but two? Nashville?!! Another problem the league has: teams competing for high draft picks and making no real attempt to get better (Panthers, Blue Jackets, Penguins, etc.).

Shadow_King
Its all the players, owners fault and also the states did not generate money for their teams so thats why some of them are close to being bankrupt or whatever. but the people that are suffering from this are the canadians.

wuTa
its just the states....ottawa has one of the best and most exciting teams in the league and there bankrupt...i blame the players more than the owners....your paying crybabies like jagre 9 mill a year for just whining alone.....whats wrong with having something like a 2 million dollar salary base than you can earn like another 3 or 5 million in incintives?...players wont do that cause they would have to actullay EARN all there money

Shadow_King
when players become stars they would demand more money and the owners have nothing else to do but give them so much money because they dont want them to leave.

wuTa
i disagree....s o far when players have become stars all they have done is demand for more money and look where is has got them

Shadow_King
its all the players fault simple as that.

wuTa
i agree

Cipher
The owners didn't have to give out contracts as large as they did in may cases. Doubling a players salary? He better have scored 40-50 goals the last four seasons.....

The league shouldn't have expanded into areas where there is no interest in the sport. That was just plain stupid. Most of the teams are in the States and most of them do fairly well except for those that were poorly thought-out.

Shadow_King
i dont even think nhl should be in america. it just should stay in the confines of canada.

xeous
I didn't read through this thread because of this post. This is all the further I have to go to realize that you people are completely ignorant to the subject.

Ignorance isn't a bad thing, if you're willing to be educated.

During the last players strike, the players union demanded to be paid the same as the other "big" sports. Football, basketball, and baseball. The only problem that they didn't foresee was that they don't have a shared revenue like these sports(I know, baseball didn't until recently). They also didn't have half as large of a fanbase. Also, the average hockey arena can hold 30,000ish(some higher, some lower). What can Yankee stadium hold? 58,000? That alone should show you that the NHL can't compete with the NBA, MLB, and NFL. So, the players shouldn't expect to be paid nearly the same amount.

The logical person would take a stand with the owners and, IMO, the owners should throw down a flat average salary for players(such as $700,000). Also, they should throw out a top rate for the superstars(such as 3 million.) A Soft or Hard Cap should be thrown in, I don't care which as long as there is one...

xeous
BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

You are REALLY IGNORANT towards the subject.

How many of the Blue Jackets top prospects can you name? The Penguins? And who is ETC? .(This is, of course without looking them up)

NASHVILLE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR. TAMPA BAY WON THE CUP!!!!!!!! Jesus man

If it was you that said that your team was the Rangers, you should look at your own club, they're the main reason for all of this chaos.

First off, look at who owns the teams that compete year in-year out. The Avs, the Red Wings....Uhhh....That's about it, isn't it?

There are only a handful of teams that actually have a chance to win the cup year in and year out. Hell, look at who owns those teams and what their salary is and you'll understand.

The Colorado Avalanche are owned by Wal-Mart. The Penguins are owned by Mario Lemieux. Mario got the team because he was owed more than the owners could pay(if you want me to explain why they were bankrupt to you, I will). He could have folded the team or took it over. He took it over. How can MARIO FREAKING LEMIEUX compete with WAL-MART?????????? They have almost unlimited funds, he has VERY limited funds. SHARED REVENUE, MY FRIEND. SALARY CAPS....

Watch how much more competetive teams will be if you actually issue limits on what teams can spend...Max and minimum...

xeous
And by year in-year out I ment over the past decade. Don't go spouting off "San Jose, Ottawa, and Dallas!" They're all relativly new to the Stanley Cup scene.

Cipher
Actually, since you want to be rude, I didn't say the Rangers were my team, try reading- it'll help you in life.

The owners didn't have to offer salaries as large as they did.

I'm not sure what you meant about the Blue Jackets since you didn't explain that point very well.

As far as Wal-Mart, I'd have to check on them owning any team. The company got where it is today by being notoriously stingy.

There are too many teams in the NHL. Nashville made the play-offs; so what?
Not a lot of fans in Tennessee who'll be there if they go through a long losing streak. I also didn't say anything about Tampa Bay. I said there's no reason for two teams in Florida; the pathetic Panthers should go. They are one of the teams that doesn't seem to be trying to get better.

If you honestly think Bettman is running the league properly, maybe you're ignorant.

xeous
Give me a friggin break, I read a page of posts and tried to summerize it in my first post. Sorry that I said you were a Rangers fan, It doesn't matter who it was, they started this giant downfall.

Yes, the owners did have to offer the large salaries because the arbiters FORCED them to do so or, the players could walk. Do you understand the rules for free agents(I, II, III, IV, V?)? If so, I won't bother to post them.

The Blue Jackets were an example. They have a number of fine prospects in their system except in goal which, I'm sure they will address this draft or the next.

Same with the Penguins except they've touched base with every position. They've got 3 blue chippers as of right now and have an excellent shot at Sydney Crosby IF the draft goes as eveyone thinks it will because of the lockout.

The Panthers have the youngest team in the NHL and are moderatly competitive. Give them 2 years and they'll be a 4 or 5 seed in the East and a legitimate contender.

You said that alot of fans won't be there if Nashville goes into a losing streak...That's kinda obvious. They're a new team, a new fanbase must be built before ANY loyalty can be established...They're building it now. They started doing so when they said they would refund any season ticket holders money if they didn't make the playoffs(2 years ago). They didn't make it and, they refunded. A free season of hockey(for those lucky fans)...I guarentee they didn't lose much money because they are one of the lowest payrolled teams in the NHL.

I don't agree with half the things in the NHL today but, to say that the owners OR Bettman either are at fault for this is just...*Mr. Repetitive here* Ignorant.

I am NOT being rude but, if you want me to start, I can. I'm just stating facts.

Please back up your argument instead of just calling me ignorant, at least I'm trying to educate you.

Shadow_King
ummm i heard thaht if nhl doesnt happen till next year their gonna scrap the nhl and their gonna start this whole new league or something i might be wrong i have no idea.

Cipher
Actually, xeous, when you call someone ignorant, that is being rude. If an owner didn't want to bankrupt their tteam, they didmn't have to give all of those guys so much money. What I was thinking of were the free agents who would get offered gigantic increases in thier previous salary. Team owners are supposed to be business people and they should be smarter than that.....

Teams that are competing for the highest draft pick are pathetic.

And if you don't like half of what goes on in the NHL, it starts with the leadership. Bettman and the others have demonstrated that they don't know how to promote the league which is part of the reason its dying. I have a problem with the leadership and that's not ignorant. The blame starts at the top......

xeous
I don't understand the logic you have...

The owners were FORCED by ARBITERS to give them a raise.

Do you understand that the NHLPA is a Players Union? They demanded that the owners pay equal to the other BIG sports' players or, everyone would walk. EVERYONE. That's a little sick...The owners would literally be screwed then.

Back then, the players were in control, it was a player's strike. As of right now, no one is in control because it is the expiration of the Collective Barganing Agreement(CBA).

If Bettman doesn't throw down a few things(such as a cap, max rookie salary, etc.) I will be calling for his head, along with about every other small market fan(70ish% of the NHL)

You must be a Toronto fan or something because, they're the only ones that actually look down on a rebuilding team. Believe it or not, every team gets their turn in the barrel.

Pittsburgh is rebuilding. They're competeing for the first overall. How is that pathetic? Same with Carolina. There's a reason there are places in sports. The best get the worst picks, the worst get the best...Everyone needs a chance to succeed.

xeous
And I'm sorry if I sounded like a dick. I didn't mean it in a bad way...My appologies.

Shadow_King
i know players are asking for a lot of money but i dont blame them anymore.

xeous
So what, you think that salaries should just keep going up and up until NO ONE can affoard tickets? At that point, the NHL will close forever...

Shadow_King
Well no. i dont think players should be like worth 30 million ok. its just they risk their health to play. so the owners should be reasonable with how much money they should pay for hockey players.

Cipher
Actually, xeous you do make a good point about the arbitration; I was thinking of free agency. That was where owners didn't have to ruin their finances to me.

As far as the first pick its pathetic to me because they should be trying to be better than that. How can a person get excited about a team throwing its season? And I realize that's how Pittsburgh got Mario, but still, its weak to me.
Rebuilding is one thing, it just seems like teams such as the Panthers aren't getting better.

I like discussing the sport with knowledgeable fans, so let's put it behind us, how about it?

ragesRemorse
I think everyone should realize that this isnt a strike, but a lock out. Big difference there. Yeah it sucks, i'm pissed that there probably wont be a hockey season this year, but i think putting a cap on player salaries is defenantly a must to keep the sport competitive and interesting. I think the decesion was a must, but they could be handeling this differently.

when it comes to Hockey, the same three teams are always the ones to beat year after year. When a team with mediocre players are lucky enough to get some awsome rookies or trades, they always end up loosing those players the next year or two, because they cant afford to keep them. So again, defenantly a good idea, but the decesion has come about 30 years to late. This is going to hurt hockey greatly. Womans tennis is more popular in america than hockey is, and i wish that were a joke.

I also think there should be caps in baseball and football too. This would keep the games entertaining.

Shadow_King
see this is why hockey should have been kept in the confines of canada. the americans have no apritiation for the sport.

Cipher
We appreciate spelling, though.....

The NHL needs revenue sharing and a salary cap like the NFL has. Unfortunately, from what I've read, the owners aren't interested in sharing. It seems they are only interested in helping themselves, not the league as a whole. Every team having the same amount of money would level the playing field (or ice) and improve competition. The league also needs strict and specific rules on equipment and interference......

Shadow_King
oh never knew that.

ragesRemorse
america appreciates and adores some hockey. The only problem is, is that it's 82 games in a season. This is about 40 games to many.There are also to many teams in the league. Unless your a nut for hockey, it is really hard to get interested in the sport, up untill the end of the season. I mean, a team can lose up to 40 games and still make the playoffs. there should be less teams and less games. I think this would strike a larger margin of interest in the sport in America. When playoff time rolls around, Hockey gets crazy ratings, like i said before, this is because the games really only matter at the end of the season. where as football, every damn game matters.

Shadow_King
ya true.

Cipher
I don't know about that, I mean people watch 162 games of baseball and that sucks (to me). I think the league doesn't know how to promote itself: talking up the skill of the players is fine, but its not figure skating. They need to also play up their toughness, as well as the grittiness of the game. They're worried about the opinions of people who don't care about the sport and don't watch it.

ragesRemorse
The thing about baseball though, there are double headers. and it is essentially America's sport. I do agree that the NHL doesnt do to much for promoting the sport, untill around playoff time.

xeous
"the owners aren't interested in sharing. It seems they are only interested in helping themselves, not the league as a whole."

Exactly.

"I think the league doesn't know how to promote itself: talking up the skill of the players is fine"

We need another superstar as well. The league as of right now is trying to build up Crosby to be that kid...Now, I didn't watch hockey when Lemieux was in his prime but, I've seen videos and it is truely amazing to watch. Recently, the Pittsburgh area FOX Sports has been putting on "Classic Penguins" shows...Showing the best/most historic Penguins games in their history.

The last one I saw was in 1995 or 96, Lemieux scored 5 goals and should have had about 10 more. He was amazing and people that rarely watch hockey WOULD turn it on to see another player of his caliber. 89-the late 90's was when Lemieux was Le Magnifique and, for hockey to survive, we need another player like that...It would pull ratings up by the bootstraps if they could get a 19 year old that would be good enough to win the Richard Trophy or the Art Ross trophy...

Honestly, I think the length needs to be shortened slightly also...But, I would hope they let every team play each other at least once...I like that setup.

What I think they truely need to fix is the tie system. Teams "play for the tie" sometimes and, I think this is stupid...Set up a new points system...I had one figured out but, I forget it now...Or even go back to the shootouts(just for regular season). The shootout loser still gets a point but, the winner gets 2. If a team is obviously outmatched in individual talent, they'll play harder in the OT to get the 2...It would make for a better game and, hopefully more exciting game play.

Also, move the damn nets back to where they were! Thank you and have a nice day.

Shadow_King
so far it has been 70 days and the lockout is still on.

ragesRemorse
Hockey isnt much fun to watch without Lemieux. The Worlds greatest Hockey player. I dont know, the NHL defaintly needs to hack off some games from the 82 games season, that is entirely to many games, this is why the sport isnt as competitive.

Shadow_King
Wayne Gretzky is the worlds greatest hockey player.... if mario didnt have cancer and all these medical problems he would be the greatest but since he does wayne is the best.

Samas-adian
Your theory on the tie system is exactly what the tie system is already.
Teams who win get 2 points, 2 points if they win in OT, and 1 point if they tie. And they made it 4 on 4. Most games that go to OT are shootouts with no D. Its great. Shoot-outs is a love-hate relationship. Its fun to watch, but heartbreaking to lose. I dont think it has place in NHL.
What they should do is take away the redline and have no touch icing.

On the lock-out though, its both parties fault. Owner's for being greedy and player's being greedy. i feel a salary cap is in ordered partly because the current system is not working and some different needs to be done.

DaRk Lotus
Just bring hocky BACK mad mad smokin' Happy Dance

Shadow_King
I think the tie system is good as it is...... and if you lose in OT the losing team gets 1 point while the winning team gets 2 points.

xeous
In the old shootout version, the loser got nothing.

Shadow_King
shootout's suck... and i am glad that they dont have them in the nhl.

xeous
That's hillarious you say that because they're almost GUARENTEED to be back in the next season(whenever that is). It's almost a done deal...

If you guys want me to start throwing out links for the CBA/Shootouts/etc I'd be more than happy to.

Shadow_King
its ok... i already know that their gonna bring in shootouts back in... which i think is a bad idea.....

Samas-adian
They're thinking about it. But nothing Guarenteed. Maybe they should work on bringing hockey back instead of thinking of shootouts.

Shadow_King
well its not gonna happen.... so we have to wait next season.

Samas-adian
Hopefully next season.

Shadow_King
well it looks like aboot 4 hundread and some thing games have been lost.... and when it hits the 468 mark of no game the season is offically cancelled.

ragesRemorse
Why do you think shootouts are a bad idea? Do you know how many times i have watched a game that has gone into double and even triple over time? TO MANY!! And they are fu.ckin pointless. If it is only the 40th game in the season there is absolutley no point for over time to be dragged out for a period that ends up in no score any way.

Samas-adian
Learn your hockey. Regular season does not go to a 2nd OT peroid. Replacing the shootout for decesions in the playoffs is the most stupid f**cking thing i have heard. The most intense games in the playoffs is when the game goes into overtime. Its shows who is the best team.

Shadow_King
thats how i think SA when it comes down to penalty shots all you have to do is deke the goalie... or sometimes you can get lucky by just shooting it and praying that it goes in.

xeous
And that's where you need to learn your hockey, SA...They won't be implimenting Shootouts in the playoffs, only regular season so there will not be any ties. The main idea behind the one OT, game over is so that they avoid stress injuries of lenghty games. This way, they can avoid ties and the injuries.

I like the idea...If your team doesn't have a ton of individual talent and you're playing a team with a lot of individual talent, you'll try that much harder during the OT to get the 2 points...

Too many teams play for ties...I HATE that strategy...

Shadow_King
Ok but what if in the event no one scores a goal in shootout??

Samas-adian
I was commenting on Rage's post. He said its pointless to have OT. Does not mention anything about playoffs or regular season. I feel that the system that is in place is perfect. Its rewards teams that try to win and makes it exicting.
Shootouts is a gimmick and there is no need for it at all. Ties are just part of the game, deal with it. International hockey only uses the shootout on sudden death games and not round robin games. Its a poor way to judge who won the game or not. If its a tie, then it means both teams played eqaully and there is not clear cut winner.
And after the OT rule change in the NHL, i rarely see teams playing for the tie.
Shootouts are like adding a home run contest in baseball if extra innings go over the 15th innning. Or 3 point contest in basketball after the first OT quarter. How bout a field goal kicking contest after the first OT quarter in NFL.

Samas-adian
SK, they continue the shootout until somebody does score.

Shadow_King
oh ok

Samas-adian
Congrats to Canada World Juniors for killing and maiming the other competition.

xeous
I HATE the analogies that you used. The three point contest, field goal kicking and what ever else.

If you throw in "Playing your best defender on their best three point shooter while he tries to make the threes" then, I'd agree.

I have no comment for the football analogy because there is no way to compair...

Anyway, who wants ties? Not new fans, that's for damn sure. And guess what, unfortunatly this whole thing isn't about what you, I, or any other hardcore hockey fan "wants", it's about what the marketable public wants. And, the marketable public is a helluva lot bigger than the current fans.

The public wants lots of scoring, amazing skill(Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin are going to help that for the next 15 years), and breathtaking plays. They want drama and, what better drama than 1v1 to score the game winner?

As I said, the NHL probably won't lose it's mind completly(For our sport's sake, I hope not) by taking shootouts to the playoffs. If they do, I'll riot along with you as I do not agree with it. But, ties are boring, ties are dull...No person in the WORLD that is a casual hockey fan wants to see a 4 on 4 where they skate to the red line, dump, chase...Then, it repeats when the current team loses posession. They want finality, they want a winner by any means necessary.

Besides, playoff OT and regular season OT is nowhere near compairable. The same two teams in the playoffs are a million times more exciting than in the regular season. Yet another reason to shorten the season to maybe 41 games...More excitement. In the NFL, every game counts so, they play every second to win.

xeous
One more question. If it's so dumb to have a shootout, why does one of the oldest sports in the world have it and, with a gigantic net?

It adds drama in a boring ass game. Point blank. That's what we need because, to the rest of the world, hockey is more boring than even soccer.

Shadow_King
are you talking aboot soccer?????

Samas-adian
There are many ways to increase scoring, amazing skill and breathtaking plays instead of using shootout's.

The reason why NFL has only 16 games is because of how the sport is played. Its not because they want every game to mean something. Its unrealistic to have somebody play 40 games of football. They will be dead. Buts its realistic to play 60 to 82 games in hockey. They players only average at the most 20 minutes a game.
Soccer only uses shootouts for sudden death games. In league play, friendlies and qualifying matches for big events (Euro Cup,World Cup and others) go to tie.
Boring ass game? What other sports have fighting (thats allowed), huge hits and amazing skill on ice and the toughest players in any sport? If thought it was boring, why do you care what happens to hockey?

Shadow_King
i always thought the shootouts happened in quater finals and semi finals and finals in international tournaments like (Euro cup and world cup) and they also use shootouts in league cups such as FA cup or European cup) ... they dont have penalty shootouts in regular league matches or in friendlies.....

Samas-adian
Yeah, as i said any sudden death game has the shootout.

The reason the majority of Americans dont watch hockey is because they dont understand it. Unlike Canada, their alot of geographical areas that never get below freezing enough to actually have alot of snow. Its similar to why most Europeans don't like America Football. They dont understand it at all. Including a shootout wont bring any more viewers in.

xeous
First off, you need to chill out.

Yeah, there are ways to increase what we talked about and it's called enforcing the rules. But, they're too damn stupid to do that.

The NFL plays a game a week. They could play 20 regular season games if they wanted with that schedule but, they don't...

Anyway, I'll take the 60 games before I take the 82. Don't get me wrong, I watch every single Penguins game during the regular season but, the players just don't play with anywhere near as much heart or passion during games 30-50 or even up to 60(read: a maximum of 30 games). They just look dead, going through the motions.

20 minutes of game? I'd like to know effort wise how much the average NFL player plays. I bet that the NHL is greater than the NFL. I know that for sure, I'm dead after a game of hockey. And yeah, I play.

Yes, boring ass game. I say this because I do care what happens to hockey. Don't act like just because you're Canadian, you are high and mighty on the hockey knowledge scale, I've seen it FAR too often.

If we don't do something to save our sport(READ: make it more marketable), it will be dead(NHL will be dead, the sport will never die) within a few more years. We can't go on with this "TV" contract that we have with ESPN/ABC(TSN is included in that) and no TV station is going to want to feature a game that is as boring to watch as the neutral zone trapfest that I watch 8 times per year called New Jersey vs Pittsburgh.

Change SOMETHING. Enforce SOMETHING. Make SOME kind of salary cap! Soft or hard, I don't care, just get them on the ice before the season is officially canceled.

Read this:
http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

It's just a rumor but, it gives hope.

BTW, if Sydney Crosby plays all the time like he played in the Juniors, he's the most overrated player I've ever seen.

xeous
Of course! We don't understand hockey, that's why we don't like it!

BS if I do say so myself. For the average viewer to sit through a game that involves two teams playing the Neutral Zone trap or even the Left Wing Lock would be impressive...But, it won't happen.

The fact is that Americans can sit through boring events if they think that something exciting will happen...Hell, look at NASCAR, it's the most boring thing on Television but, there are crashes so, people watch it.

I'll watch hockey until I can't see anymore and play it until I can't skate but, to ask my next door neighbor to come over to watch the game is highly unlikely.

Listen, I know that Canadians think they "know it all" when it comes to hockey and Americans know nothing but, I do know one thing. America is the target market and where the big bucks come from, that's undisputable. If they don't make hockey more exciting by promoting goal scoring and much freer playing(by enforcing obstruction penalties), hockey is in for a hurtin'. They better address this after the CBA meetings, not this season but, next.

In fact, you used huge mid ice hits and fights as one of your selling points. If the NHLPA agrees to reducing the Roster size by 3 players per team(and, they might), most goons will be taken out of the equation as teams will want to keep skilled players over them.

Also, because the game has become so structured, the Darius Kasperitis' and Ulf Samuelsson's of the NHL(and hockey in general) are becomming dinosaurs. Teams now-a-days want defensemen that won't fly around, looking for the big ice hit because it really puts the team in danger of an odd man rush. And, there isn't enough offense to be able to make too up for many defensive mistakes.

Samas-adian
NFL players cannot play 20 more games in a regular season.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I do agree something has to changed and I personally want something to change also. But adding a shootout at the end of the game won't help hockey. Taking away the red line, adding no touch icing, keep goalie pads down and enforcing obstruction will make the game more marketable and exiciting.

If they add a salary cap or some sort cost certainity, that will remove teams with small bugest to stop playing the trap or any other defensive minded system. That's why they play the trap in the first place.

xeous
I didn't say 20 more. I said 20. Read much?

Your welcome for pointing out the obvious, high and mighty Canuck! Obviously, you don't know the obvious because you keep preaching that the game is fine as it is and, it's obviously not. Shrinking goalie pads and taking out the red line are both moot points because they won't work.

If we remove the red line, teams will end up sticking a d man around where it once was as backup for cherry pickers, eventually though...It will turn into a 4 on 5 each time teams go into the offensive zone. I think it would be cool if it turned into 4 on 4's with both teams having a man at the redline- one offensive and one defensive player to fight 1 on 1 when the outlet pass comes out...But, that won't happen, the NHL today is defense first, offense second. Look at the past few Cup Champs. Vote no on removing the red line.

No touch icing will have the reverse effect of excitement. How many times in your life have you seen a speedy winger beat the d-man down the ice and make a pass from behind the net only to get smashed into the boards? That's hockey! That's what I, you, and the rest of the public want to see- Speed, grit, determination, and no fear. Vote no on no touch icing.

Kicking down the goalie pads a few inches will definatly improve scoring. Once all the starters in the league are in the hospital, the backups will have an even rougher time stopping pucks because of 2 reasons:

1. They aren't as good.
2. Fear

Vote no on reducing goalie pad size.

Your final point to shoot down, I don't understand how a salary cap is going to change how teams play the game. The neutral zone trap is going to exist until teams find a definate way to beat it, no matter the salary cap. If you're saying that a salary cap is going to push teams like Pittsburgh out of the NHL, you're wrong. That's why they are going to put it in, so that we can compete with you(I'm guessing you're from Toronto because...Mainly of your attitude.)

What will work?

Like you said, enforce obstruction penalties. Heck, I think we should even adapt a "three strike policy". If a player is called for that penalty(or any penalty) three times in one game, they're out of the game. Players would learn FAST. Plus, how many times have you seen a player in the box 3 times in one game overall, not just for the same thing? I haven't seen it many times...It would be there "just in case".

Touch up offsides-Touch up offsides are the best thing ever invented, we need to use it. I've seen it work in the ECHL and, work well...They have touch up offsides to speed up the game but, their auto icing rule almost slows it back down again...Not much, but a little...

Move the nets back!-Move them back to where they were before, give the players more room to create in front of the net not just behind it. This would also keep the goalies in the net(where they belong) and reduce the amount of times that a goaltender plays the puck, adding a flow to the game.

Double the size of the lines!- What would this do? Give players more room yet again. It's only 6 more inches in each zone(each line is 6 inches...) but, it would mean alot...It would shrink the Neutral zone, giving less room for the trap...Overall, I like this idea.

comedyfanatic
wat the hell r u talking about?

Samas-adian
I'm using international hockey as an outline for changing NHL. Its removies the redline, has no-touch icing and touch up offsides. Watch Olmypic hockey, juniors or world championships, there generally more exciting hockey games than the NHL. Thier not exciting because of the importance of the game, but because of the rules. With no red line, its allows players to attack.
Ok, how many times have you seen a team dump the puck from the own line because of offensive pressure is too much to handle. THe puck slowly goes all the way down the line until A, the goalies gets, or B, a defenseman has trod all the way down to get it for an icing. Wow, that sure is fun. It is true that sometimes a person beats out the defenseman, but that happens rarely. Also, it protects the player.

Smaller goalies pads wont kill goalies. Goalies were big pads so they have an easier time stopping pucks. Look back in the 80's, goalies got the same amount of injuries as of today, and the pad size is alot smaller. The pads they have on thier legs and hands armt their for protection, but to stop pucks. Thier equipmenty underneath thier jerseys stop them from getting hurt.
Your stance would work, but its not fair. I would agree if they used that stance on violence and illgeal activity on and off the ice would be awesome. But for minor penalties, its absurd.
To neutrilize the trap, wouldnt no red line work?

Please read my last post carefully. "If they add a salary cap or some sort cost certainity, that will remove teams with small bugest to stop playing the trap or any other defensive minded system. That's why they play the trap in the first place."

To say it again. Playing the trap is for teams that dont have the offensive players. With a salary cap, smalls teams like Pittsburgh could get the offensive players to play an offensive minded game. There would be remenets of the trap but it would less severe.

Samas-adian
Actually, I'm from Ottawa, but thank you for knowing a city of Canada. My teams is the Leafs but i grew up watching Pittsburgh.
Do Torontonians have an attitude, and what type of attitude is it?
I do think that Canadians do know more about hockey than Americans. Its just like how Americans think they know more about american football than anybody else.
And dont bring nationality into this.

fruits
oh man, this pisses me off. and the fact that they wont come back as long as theirs a salary cap is retarded. i mean, i got a flyers jersey and a canadiens jersey, and i got a bruins jersey aon the way, and i cant even go to those games this season! god!

xeous
Any given Canadian might know more about football than any given American. The difference between us is that I'll admit it and you won't. It has nothing to do with nationality so shove it.

I didn't even read your first post because I've found that you honestly are just talking from your ass.

Have you read ANYTHING about the lockout?

Smasandian
You're funny. I guess I don't know anything. I guess I'm just a bloody Canadian living in an igloo having sex with polar bears.
Pardon my French, but this is an discussion, not who knows more. I never said anything about you not knowing anything about hockey because you live in the States. You assumed I meant that based on the sole reason of me being Canadian. I've never said that you didnt know anything or have been rude if I think you're wrong. On the other hand, you insulted me and stereotyped me just because I have different opinions. And considering, you've been rude and offensive earlier in this thread, I dont think im far off.
But one thing is, you think you know everything, because you watch alot of hockey and probably read some articles or watch tv, but in the end, you dont know everything.
So, what do I NOT know about the NHL Lockout? Enlighting me o' mighty one.

xeous
Narrow it down a bit. The CBA is a very broad topic. What would you like to know?

Smasandian
Well, whats going on?
Whats the problem?
Why cant they fix it?
Will there be hockey?
Will they disband teams?
What will happen if the salary cap is enforced and teams like TOR, DET, COL, and big market teams cant afford the extra salaries?

gramps93
Most teams are owned by corperation or a group of individual who want to see some returns on their investment. Its not a sport to them, its business. Most business models requires getting the BEST persson (no matter the cost) and win. That what the Rangers and Red Winges do - I will also throw the Dallas Stars into the mix

Now, the piper is playing their swan song. They open their eyes and notice the madness has not stopped. Salaries are way to high, not return on their investment and the network contract is not helping.

Like most businesses, they start with salaries instead of better marketing plan. They have to get the players faces out there. And the player have to do more to help their sport also.

I don't care who's fault it is...fix it and fix it now. If not, disolve the league and start over in a year or so.

Peace

Smasandian
Did people hear that cares about hockey that some firms in the US propsed to the NHL, to buy the entire NHL league for something over 3 billion dollars.
Man, thats crazy talk.

Shadow_King
Done Deal!

And now for the words everyone has been waiting to hear: The deal is done!

The NHL and NHL Players' Association have finally reached an agreement (pending ratification) on a new six-year collective bargaining agreement that - if approved by the NHL board of governors and the rank and file membership of the NHLPA - will officially end the stalemate on Thursday, July 21. When that happens, the league will also hold its Draft Lottery, with 30 teams getting their shot at Sidney Crosby.

Smasandian
Oh yeah. Finally. From the looks of it, its a pretty sweet deal.

My guess is that Pittsburgh gets Crosby.

DaRk Lotus
talk about it almost over smile Just start the F***ing season

Smasandian
Well start the offseason you mean.
Hockey doesnt starting until October.

Shadow_King
i dont believe how they are doing this whole lottery draw for sydney crosby.

Smasandian
Its pretty crazy but its the only way to do it.
The original draft line up is not really far because it was like 2 years ago and considering the teams that are going to be doing well are probablly not the bigger teams due to the fact that half their team will be gone.

I dont understand why they're planning on doing it at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa instead of a arena or something and put it on tv considering its Crosby. I know alot of people would watch it.

Shadow_King
yep.. i would watch it... i predict crosby is going to an american team.

Smasandian
well, ottawa and toronto only get 1 ball in the draft, while Edmonton, Montreal and Vancouver get two. ( i think) and Calgary.

Shadow_King
even if toronto got sydney crosby they wont win the stanley cup.

Smasandian
Well, no.

But it would probalby get them there, if Crosby turns out to be what people expect, aka, Lumieux winning two of them and the Great One, winning a ton of them also.

Shadow_King
approximately 19 hours left till the NHLPA Ratification Vote

Smasandian
So, Sidney Crosby is going to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Out of all the teams out there, the Penguins are the ones that needed it the most.

Just think. Lemuiex, Crosby and Rechhi. With Malkin on the second line. With Fluery as goalie, thats a pretty nice couple of players. Not the best, but nice.

Shadow_King
it seems that penguins got a shot this year at the playoffs.... but its a pity that all that talent went too penguins instead of a canadian team... also i felt a bit sorry for florida.. they had three balls and still come out second last.... thats just bad luck.

Smasandian
It is.

True, but ah well.

Shadow_King
well Oct.5th is the date when the nhl season starts.... i think this thread should be rename now.

Smasandian
Yep. Ask Dexx.

Dexx
yeah...seeing as there isn't an existing discussion thread about it..sure

Lady_Jade
I can't wait for hockey this season. I am drooling right now.

Shadow_King
good to hear

big news in nhl dealing about free agents is

Panthers sign free agents Nieuwendyk, Roberts

Smasandian
Even bigger is that Columbus signed Foote.

Shadow_King
Noooooooo.. how could that have happened.... this is unbelievable.

hh?
i miss hockey cry

hh?
Originally posted by Smasandian
Even bigger is that Columbus signed Foote.

WHAT!!!!!

what else is new? im kinda behind on hockey after the situation started. sad

Dr. Strangelove
Me too.

Hope the Sharks can keep most of their young talent so they can make another run in the playoffs.

Smasandian
Well tons have happened.

Pronger got traded to the Oilers.
Flyers signed Hatcher and Rathje.
Kings signed Pavol Demitri
Hurricanes signed with Cory Stillman
Bruins signed Glen Murrey
Thrashers signed Bobby Holik.
And the Rangers signed Martin Straka.
And old news, Leafs trade for Jeff O'Neil.
Gary Roberts and Joe Niewyndyke (sp?) signed with Florida

Possible rumors
Naslund or Forsberg want to play with Sundin or sign with the Rangers.
Thorton might be traded.
Toronto is going alot younger and getting rid of Tie Domi.

hh?
yes! we got Demitra. do Kings still have Ziggy?

Bruins are lucky to have Glen Murrey. he had one of the best slapshots.

Smasandian
I think so, but not sure.

Big news!

Inginla is signing back to Calgary
Naslund signing back to Cunucks
and big signing
Goncher to the Pittsburgh Penguins. (this is huge considering they never sign big free agents.)

hh?
i wish Naslund played for Kings. stick out tongue

fruits
calgary's loadin up this year, they just got Tony Amonte and Darren Mcarty! them and iginla!! i see a stanley cup in their future. as in this season. that's right. im callin it now. Calgary Flames are gonna win the Stanley Cup this year is my official preseason prediction

fruits
also, the bruins got Brian Leetch

fruits
OMG. Forsberg signed with...............................the Flyers! he cant leave the Avs, he just...........CAN'T!

hh?
HOLY SHIT!!! Flyers!?!?!?! LMAO

do they still have Roenik? or did he retire? i honestly dont remember anything.

fruits
pretty sure he's still playing

Dr. Strangelove
Forsberg signs with Flyers...YESSSSS!!!Happy Dance

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2123803

I'm making a prediction right now that with the new salary cap, the Rangers WILL make the playoffs since now they can't screw up by signing over-aged, overrated star players.

hh?
anyone know if Hossa is still with Ottawa.

Smasandian
Hossa is still with Ottawa.

Roenich is probably going to get traded to the Kings.

Man, where the hell is the Leafs. I cant believe they might actually go the whole rebuilding route.

My prediction so far is that Penguins will go to the playoffs.

hh?
dont worry Leafs still have Tie Domi thumb up stick out tongue

Smasandian
Not anymore.

They're not resigning him, and the Penguins look like they want him. The Leafs are going with they'er young enforcers now.

hh?
lot of changes.

Smasandian
Oh yeah.

Im still kinda of wierded out that the Leafs havnt done anything. They have the money.

hh?
both Niedermayer's on the same team. Scott got traded to Ducks.

fruits
this is crazy! and Modano signed a 5 yr contract with the stars so he's gonna be their for a long time. but man, Calgary's gonna go far, Philly's gonna do alright, with the addition of forsberg and the loss of roenick, edmonton's gonna make it for sure.

hh?
Philly's gonna make playoffs without a doubt.

Dr. Strangelove
If Forsberg stays healthy, which is a big if with his injury problems the last few years.

hh?
after the spleen surgery, Forsberg didn't really change much. had a few injuries, but i dont think it'll change his gameplay much...hopefully.

fruits
Forsberg is pretty injury prone. he gets injured like every season. but just because of the add of a great like Forsberg doesn't ensure making the playoffs. like, i say Calgary because they now have a strong D, a strong offense, a strong goalie, and some young talent as well. that's what a team needs to make it in the nhl

hh?
speaking of goalies, San Jose still has Nobakov?

fruits
i hope so

hh?
you guyz think Hasek was the greatest goalie of all time?

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by hh?
speaking of goalies, San Jose still has Nobakov?

I think so, I didn't see him on the free agent list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=05freeagents

They better sign Marleau and Sturm.

Originally posted by hh?
you guyz think Hasek was the greatest goalie of all time?

I'd say Roy.

fruits
Roy! no competition.

DanZeke25
Go Flyers!!!! rock

hh?
Alexander Frolov= next Gretzky

my prediction. i've seen him play before he signed with Kings. Incredible player. Kings should keep him.

Smasandian
No way, man.

Nonbody will be the next Gretzky or Lemuieux. Nobody.

Crosby might be.

hh?
alright Frolov wont go up to Gretzky standards...but at least Federov...

Smasandian
Maybe,
the numbers he put up isnt really up to par on what Federov put up.

He really hasnt hit the game that a player like Federov did when he showed up in the NHL

hh?
i say give him some time and he'll develop as a player.

fruits
Kariya signs with the nashville predators??? god, my team, the avs, they're losing everyone!!! we got blake and sakic now and thats about it.

hh?
laughing lot of changes.

kings lost Jason Allison sad

fruits
but they got roenick

hh?
i rather have allison. roenick is too cocky laughing out loud

fruits
but he's an awesome player. and allison got sent to toronto. that sucks.

Smasandian
Originally posted by fruits
but he's an awesome player. and allison got sent to toronto. that sucks.

Well, Allison hasnt played for 3 years or so. But its a good pickup considering its a one year deal for 1.5 million dollars. Thats a hell alot of cheap for somebody who has played great. If it doesnt work out, then its not that much money.

DanZeke25
Yeah i like Roenick a lot... i see him all the time being a FLyers fan, but we got Forsberg now. Go Flyers!

hh?
Palffy to Penguins sad

Penguins are gonna destroy this year.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>