Best Underrated Band/s of All Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
Pick 3 (in any order). But, come up with at least one.

I'm going with The Who, The Beach Boys, and Fleetwood Mac.

...probably had a 4th and 5th, but that would be going against my own thread! eek!

Victor Von Doom
None of those are underrated.

Grandaddy, Clutch, anything by Patton bar Faith No More.

BobbyD
Well, I agree Vic that they've gotten their pub, but I still think they should have had even MORE, despite their fame and success.

But, duly noted. wink

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by BobbyD
Well, I agree Vic that they've gotten their pub, but I still think they should have had even MORE, despite their fame and success.

But, duly noted. wink

Not underrated then are they? Just not as highly rated as you wish.

-AC

Bardock42
I'd say the Beatles and Elvis ....way underrated.

Victor Von Doom
There's no point in judging how underrated something is by your personal view compared to overall rating.

It's more about how widespread their fame and critical acclaim is as relates to that judgment (which is partially subjective).

The Beach Boys etc all receive wide acclaim and kudos- Pet Sounds is often voted best album ever; Fleetwood Mac are one of the biggest selling bands around; The Who are often regarded as the best individual musicians in their respective categories.

I'd say there were better candidates for the award.

Thorin
Coal Chamber, Type-o Negative, Sepeltura

BobbyD
Yes Bardock, I can see "The King" as being underrated.

AC, interesting way of looking at it (in response to your comment).

Df02
The Zombies

Alpha Centauri
Yes Bardock, I can see "The King" as being underrated.

AC, interesting way of looking at it (in response to your comment).

Surely you're not serious...?

It's not a way of looking at it. All of those bands are highly rated, just because you think they deserve more doesn't mean they're underrated.

-AC

BobbyD
Why yes I am.

And please...stop calling me Shirley? laughing out loud

Deathblow
Originally posted by Thorin
Sepeltura

Sepultura aren't underrated, they were (deservedly) regarded as metal gods during the Cavalera days.

Alpha Centauri
Who's mentioning overrating? He said they're underrated, this is a thread about being underrated.

-AC

Deathblow
Typo.

Thorin
Originally posted by Deathblow
Sepultura aren't underrated, they were (deservedly) regarded as metal gods during the Cavalera days. well i guess your right but as of late and when derek green took over they were underrated.

Deathblow
That's because they're nowhere near as good as they used to be.

Arise and Chaos AD was Sepultura at their peek, ever since Roots, it's been a downward spiral. Often happens to bands when they change lead vocalist.

Darth Jello
The Normals, The Ramones, and X

jaden101
Mudhoney
Alice in Chains
the blue nile

BobbyD
I could see the Ramones being underrated, Darth.

Alpha Centauri
What the hell is wrong here?

Elvis, The Who, The Ramones all underrated? Do any of you happen to have the vaguest conception of what you are saying? Genuinely curious.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
What the hell is wrong here?

Elvis, The Who, The Ramones all underrated? Do any of you happen to have the vaguest conception of what you are saying? Genuinely curious.

-AC

I am rather positive the Elvis thing was a joke....(I know mine was)

Alpha Centauri
Oh I know YOURS was.

I'm just not sure what Bobby is hoping to achieve with this thread, it's clearly not been thought through properly.

-AC

Bardock42
Well I guess he wanted a counter-thread to the most overrated thing. Or maybe get into music that'S not so well known.

BobbyD
I think the difference here is some of the bands that have been mentioned didn't make MY radar (what I'd consider music), yet some of you guys feel that these same bands are underrated....which very well may be.

For me, for someone to be underrated they have to be good....first. I know...we're getting into the whole subjective thing again. What's good music?

But, I guess being the old fart I am my appreciation for music is for an era that many of you are not appreciative of...again, fine-no biggie.

Apples n' oranges, I suppose.

Bardock42
I think the difference here is some of the bands that have been mentioned didn't make MY radar (what I'd consider music), yet some of you guys feel that these same bands are underrated....which very well may be.

For me, for someone to be underrated they have to be good....first. I know...we're getting into the whole subjective thing again. What's good music?

But, I guess being the old fart I am my appreciation for music is for an era that many of you are not appreciative of...again, fine-no biggie.

I'm very fond of the Who...but they are not underrated now are they......Beach Boys even less.

BobbyD
Bardock, I think there's a lot of people who don't give The Who their due. That's just me, and I may be incorrect. But, I'm sure you'll find a lot of people who don't even know who they are. You, AC, others here know their stuff...that is cleary visible, and thus by making a claim that you think they're not underrated means very well that you know a thing or two about music. But the average high schooler listening to Green Day or Audioslave today doesn't even know they probably exist. It's THOSE individuals that I think persuade me to say that The Who are underrated. Again, I could wrong. erm

Alpha Centauri
Why is this a debate? The Who are not underrated, they get OVERRATED all the time.

You are claiming they are underrated just because they're not generally hailed as good as you want them to be, that doesn't mean they don't get the credit they actually deserve.

Don't quite see why everyone is getting caught up in that. Those bands are not underrated, The Ramones aren't, Elvis isn't. Let's (you) stop being silly.

-AC

BobbyD
I don't think I'm being silly though, AC.

Delusional?...maybe. confused

However, that means I don't know any better then. erm

Dr. Strangelove
The average high schooler might not know who The Who are, but they are still pretty well known. I've seen a lot of their shirts on the same racks with Zepplin and Sabbath since 60/70's rock T-shirts have become all the rage.

And really, I don't base a band/artist being underrated by popularity. I base it more on how fans and critics think of the band.

knight
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/hot_knight/kinks.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/hot_knight/bigcountrynet.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/hot_knight/skid.jpg

Libertine
A woman of no importance

Df02

it's funny how you supposedly have a greater appreciation of that era of music, and yet almost every regular to this forum has heard and acknowledges that The Who have been given their due throughout their entire musical existence.

i'd like to know how, other than each member being consistently hailed as the best in his field and them constantly featuring at the top of 'best band ever' lists, you'd like to see them acknowledged, so as to not underrate them as we're told we do.

BobbyD
DF, if I may rebut, perhaps my thread doesn't belong here, because people know their music in this forum.

MildPossession
Humm, Our Lady Peace are underrated imo(forgetting last two albums), well at least here in the UK. The albums before Gravity, and Healthy in Paranoid Times are fantastic.

golem370
Sound Garden
Pissing Razors
Alabama
Queen
The Presidents of the United States
AIC
The Eagles

MildPossession
Queen?

papabeard
The Postal Service?

or Jurassic 5?

BobbyD
Yes, Golem. I agree-the Eagles. They were among my top choices also.

magic_hate_ball
Dead Kennedys, Today is the Day, Mr. Bungle, Sam Black Church, Crisis, S.O.D. ......the list just goes on.....sorry i couldnt stop at 3 stick out tongue

luv*kiedis
WRECKLESS ERIC
lyke no1s herd of them!!!

tabby999
luv*kiedis, your experience here is going to be short and unpleasant if you dont learn how to use BASIC ENGLISH!

Originally posted by Thorin
Coal Chamber, Type-o Negative, Sepeltura

Id say TON and Sepultura are both get plenty of the credit they deserve, Coal Chamber on the other hand are completly overrated. They didn't really do anything new or special, they released one average album and then pissed about untill Dark Days, which still wasn't anything new. Devil Driver is better use of Dez's time.

As for me; Mark Of Cain, Breaking Benjamin, Sigur Ros

~Flamboyant~
Why do I see The Who, The Ramones, Soundgarden, and Queen?

Afro Cheese
Can: experiemental rock band from the 70's.. they get compared to artists like Frank Zappa and The Velvet Underground when they are even mentioned at all but to me their style is completely their own. It's described as avant-garde but it's less artsy than you'd think. Somewhat careless vocals, lot of attitude, psychedelic guitar licks, focus on repetition..

Funkadelic: funk band from the 70's lead by George Clinton himself.. they usually lose most of their recognition to another G Clinton band, Parliament. They are raw southern funk mixed with psychedelic rock.. really cool. I've yet to hear anything else that sounds quite like them.

Mr. Bungle: I just recently listened to their CD California after them getting loads of hype on this site.. I really enjoyed it, it's a lot different than what I was expecting. The song "pink cigarette" has got to be one of the most instantly lovable songs ever. I don't know why they seemingly get no recognition outside of online music forums..

Bardock42
Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
Why do I see The Who, The Ramones, Soundgarden, and Queen? Well, in my experience Soungarden do usually not get as much recognition as they deserve.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Afro Cheese

Mr. Bungle: I just recently listened to their CD California after them getting loads of hype on this site.. I really enjoyed it, it's a lot different than what I was expecting. The song "pink cigarette" has got to be one of the most instantly lovable songs ever. I don't know why they seemingly get no recognition outside of online music forums..

They aren't marketed and hyped, and they are amazingly good, which often counts against a band these days.

That's my favourite of their songs I think, at the moment anyway.

Although California is their last album, it's a decent place to start because it's the most accessible one. You should definitely check the other two out.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, in my experience Soungarden do usually not get as much recognition as they deserve.

Very true.

Afro Cheese
Yeah I'm planning on checking their other stuff out. I also recently listened to Faith No More's Angel Dust, which I also liked, so I suppose I'll be checking out more Patton affiliated stuff in general. I remember briefly listening to Fantomas a while ago and leaving rather confused... but I guess that's the type of thing you have to listen to many times to get into it..?

I know this thread says only name 3, but I thought of another candidate I'd like to mention so let's just call it an honorable mention: Sun Ra.

BobbyD
You know it's odd...looking back at my original responses, I'm quite embarrased to see this thread resurface, especially since I'm the thread maker. embarrasment stick out tongue

But, I have a chance to save face still. Why I somewhat agree still with my original answers there are still better choices.

If all of you will let me, I'd like to change my 3 to Bob Marley, Velvet Underground, and Boston.

tabby999
wow. just wow.

BobbyD
Originally posted by tabby999
wow. just wow.

Oh shuush. big grin

Bardock42
Are we talking about that Bob Marley guy that is just generally considered as the greatest Reggae artist ever?

Anyways, one artist I want to list that I think is underrated quite a bit is Joni Mitchell. Either she is severely underrated or Bob Dylan is hyped to the max...and since I don#t believe the second I'd say she's underrated.

BobbyD
Are we talking about that Bob Marley guy that is just generally considered as the greatest Reggae artist ever?

Anyways, one artist I want to list that I think is underrated quite a bit is Joni Mitchell. Either she is severely underrated or Bob Dylan is hyped to the max...and since I don#t believe the second I'd say she's underrated.

Yes..since there are a lot of people not familiar with that genre of music or followers. *quickly runs away*

*echoed from a far distance* Dylan: example of waaay overrated, in talent-not importance.

Bardock42
Yes..since there are a lot of people not familiar with that genre of music or followers. *quickly runs away*

*echoed from a far distance* Dylan: example of waaay overrated, in talent-not importance.

I think he is very talanted actually....

Mako Victim
A.F.I. maybe

~Da Rev~
Michael Jackson.

I'm sorry.

Bardock42
Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
Michael Jackson.

I'm sorry.
He's very underrated lately...after all people that might have had sexual relationships with children can not be good musicians.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Yeah I'm planning on checking their other stuff out. I also recently listened to Faith No More's Angel Dust, which I also liked, so I suppose I'll be checking out more Patton affiliated stuff in general. I remember briefly listening to Fantomas a while ago and leaving rather confused... but I guess that's the type of thing you have to listen to many times to get into it..?

Fantomas is more of an acquired taste, yes. Can't go wrong with anything Patton-related though; he's the Midas of music.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Fantomas is more of an acquired taste, yes. Can't go wrong with anything Patton-related though; he's the Midas of music.

He makes stupid wishes?

Victor Von Doom
Nah, he's...a king, and from the olden days.

Bardock42
Nah, he's...a king, and from the olden days.
Oh, in that case I agree.

Victor Von Doom

If all of you will let me, I'd like to change my 3 to Bob Marley, Velvet Underground, and Boston.

Bob Marley- highly rated.

Velvet Underground- probably are underrated, yes.

Boston- they're shit, therefore anything is a bonus.

tabby999

right now the band are huddled around a computer, going through forums and looking for people who remember them, starting threads about themselves and having a gay old time doing it.

Oh and Mako Victim, I'm not sure with AFI, sure they dont get acclaim and recognition from the general music scene, but they're held pretty high still. Im not sure with them

luv*kiedis
Originally posted by tabby999
luv*kiedis, your experience here is going to be short and unpleasant if you dont learn how to use BASIC ENGLISH!

im sorry im just so use ta
txting & writing in slang on msn.

Bardock42
Originally posted by luv*kiedis
im sorry im just so use ta
txting & writing in slang on msn.

Which is perfectly acceptable when talking to your "friends", but on here you should try to use real English.

Victor Von Doom
'Ta' is slang for 'to'?

It's just bad pronunciation, which doesn't apply to writing.

May as well just write 'to', it's less...idiotic.

Bardock42
'Ta' is slang for 'to'?

Oh my, I thought that "ta" was some sort of abbreviation for "txting & writing in slang on msn. " ...

Lunch_Meat
I'd say the Beatles and Elvis ....way underrated.

Oh yeah because no one ever gives them any credit....

Eis
Pick 3 (in any order). But, come up with at least one.

I'm going with The Who, The Beach Boys, and Fleetwood Mac.

...probably had a 4th and 5th, but that would be going against my own thread! eek!
I know it's been point out endlessly but I must.

The Beach Boys? Underrated? Are you mentally derranged, or are you just some idiotic fourteen year old who found All Summer Long in his dad's music collection and since then considered it "underrated" for the sole reason that his friends had never heard of it.

While that may be true it does not mean Soundgarden is in any way underrated, it got considerable commercial success in the US.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Eis
The Beach Boys? Underrated? Are you mentally derranged, or are you just some idiotic fourteen year old who found All Summer Long in his dad's music collection and since then considered it "underrated" for the sole reason that his friends had never heard of it.

laughing out loud

Sadly, I'm older (compared to most KMCers here). It is perhaps that today's generation has never even heard of the Beach Boys? But yes, I am occaionally mentally deranged. stick out tongue wink

AcrypT
Counting Crows - They have a few popular songs but the majoraty of their songs aren't widely known and IMO they're one of the best bands in their area of music.

Soulfly - A great band that doesn't get mentioned often enough.

gah, hard to choos only one more band lol

Faith No More / Mike Patton - He covers such a wide wide and obscure variaty of music, his talent one of a kind, he defenatly deserves more recagnision.

luv*kiedis
Which is perfectly acceptable when talking to your "friends", but on here you should try to use real English.

ohk now now
i did start a thread saying im new & dont realy
know whats acceptable & not

so im sorry embarrasment
& i will try to type in "full" words from now on

jaden101
going to have to put Rocco Deluca and the Burden onto this list...they deserve alot more recognition than they are getting currently

Slay
Jeff Buckley.

Although he made only one album, he was of great importance for the current singer/songwriter trend, which he is never credited for.

manorastroman
can is a very good choice, they were extremely experimental yet remained high quality.

REM strangely doesn't get the word of mouth they ought to, at least in my circles.

the bicycles are brand new, but they made a brilliant brilliant pop album in '06 that absolutely EVERYBODY failed to cover.

the zombies, the monks, tom waits, brian eno, talking heads, suicide...there's alot of underrated/underappreciated bands.

By Crom!
'Ta' is slang for 'to'?

it's also slang for thanks, although the context of that post was wrong for that.

smile

By Crom!

Is that "more than a feeling"

Kid Kurdy
Aphrodite's Child : probably one of the best "underrated (and also largely forgotten)" bands.

And I'm not even a fan of prog rock, but they were great. Come on, who doesn't like big hairy Greeks ?

The Core
Bob Marley, I'd argfue, is underrated. Kids like his sound, but never take the time to listen to the lyrics. They just smoke pot to it and call it a day. He, Lee Scratch Perry, and Jimmy Cliff..all underrated.

But my pick would have to go to the Deftones. I've never been disappointed by an album, they've been around almost 2 decades, and they're still very much a diamond in the rough.

Funkadelic
Parliament/Funkadelic

The Core
I don't see them as underrated. The majority of their stuff sounds the same, it doesn't appeal to a lot of people, and everyone's familiar with their music. If you haven't heard "Flashlight" or "Atomic Dog" by now, you've been living on another planet.

Alpha Centauri
I'm going to go ahead and say The White Stripes, or Jack White.

Jack White is either not given credit, or not given enough credit for exactly what he does.

-AC

manorastroman
jack white's a very good candidate. nobody really recognizes the level of inventiveness he's displayed. case in point: compare "the nurse" to their cover of "stop breaking down".

RSSR
Alright, let's see:

Bob Dylan and The Band
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
The Who
The Ramones
The Grateful Dead
U2
Dave Matthews Band
Radiohead

RSSR
Shit, forgot to include the likes of Led Zeppelin.

Nellinator
Originally posted by RSSR
Alright, let's see:

Bob Dylan and The Band
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
The Who
The Ramones
The Grateful Dead
U2
Dave Matthews Band
Radiohead Originally posted by RSSR
Shit, forgot to include the likes of Led Zeppelin. These are all underrated?

RSSR
Oh, my bad!!!!

I quickly glanced at the title of the thread and thought it said Best Bands of All Time!

Nellinator
laughing out loud

vintageSW77
THE FALL THE FALL THE FALL THE FALL

and ADAM AND THE ANTZ 77-80

manorastroman
the fall gets due credit among the more educated circles. tell you the truth, i can't imagine that a band as abrasive and unconventional as the fall would have much widespread cred, regardless of the due.

el_barto
Elvis Costello?

manorastroman
adam and the antz doesn't really deserve terrific acclaim, though.

manorastroman
well, he was shamelessly omitted from a recent "best living songwriters" list, so you might have something there. now that i think about it, that list was shite. no costello, no waits, no cohen...

vintageSW77
Originally posted by manorastroman
adam and the antz doesn't really deserve terrific acclaim, though.

Although anything post KINGS OF THE WILD FRONTIER aint much cop its come to be known that the sound of DIRK WEARS WHITE SOX the Antz first album from 1979 can be heard in Bloc Party,Elastica,Blur and a few other band i cannot be arsed typing the names of

check it out here
http://cafe-puschkin.blogspot.com/2006/09/this-was-made-to-end-all-parties.html

chillmeistergen
The Libertines, The Streets and The Stranglers

pcp
Radiohead. End of.
And blur.

EPIIIBITES
Really don't know how to answer this...the best criteria I can think of to go buy is "bands that haven't gotten the appropriate recognition they deserve for their contribution to music"...whether they're popular or not.

I'd say...The Beach Boys, Kula Shaker, and Limp Bizkit.

The Core
Limp Bizkit? UNDERRATED?

EPIIIBITES
Yep! Extremely popular, but dissed by critics and peers alike as being trailer trash music...and they were far more substantial and important than that.

The Core
Love to hear why/how you think that. Honestly.

Nellinator
There are few bands I think I underrated now that weren't when they were new like Cream and Blue Oyster Cult. I also think Live is a great band, but has never been really popular.

The Core
Live was fairly popular for a few years. "Selling the Drama", the entire album pretty much made it to radio. Well, except "Shittown". I listened to them religiously, saw them on their first tour.

Cream I think still gets the recognition they deserve, moreso Eric Clapton, and rightfully so. Blue Oyster Cult, not so much, but 70's bands weren't as diverse as they are now. Back then, they would have been considered progressive, now they're just classic rock.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by The Core
Love to hear why/how you think that. Honestly.
I think they did a great job fusing rock, rap, and electronic music together (something that could very easily be made a mess of), and really captured the spirit of the pop music scene at the time. In that repect, and as strange as it may sound, they could be comparible to Nirvana (although nowhere near as great a band).

I think the music was honest, creative, experimental and raw, and at the end of the day, songs like Nookie and Break Stuff just simply rocked. Not to mention they're persona (guitarist Wes and all), was pretty darn fresh.

And as I mentioned, a lot of their peers in the industry and critics alike always wrote them off as white trash, Gen-x, one-hit wonders, where similar bands like Korn got more cred becasue they weren't as Pop-y.

I could almost say Durst was almost a genius in his own right...but the fact that most people would laugh at me for saying that is why I think they're underrated...

...best I can explain it.

Nellinator
Yay, but Live isn't popular anymore and I don't think they ever got the appreciation they deserved. A couple songs went high in the charts, but they have a lot of good songs that barely charted.

I really love Cream, so I obviously think they are underrated, but I you are right that they are well recognized in the right rings, but I think that they are starting to slip away. Cream was more than Eric Clapton imo because in a three man band that had perhaps the first drum solo song in "Toad" and the bass player (a very good bass player) as singer, there is more to be appreciated than Clapton.

Blue Oyster Cult is often forgotten as one of the founders of heavy metal along with LZ, Deep Purple (also starting to become underrated), Judas Priest, The Who and Black Sabbath.

I also forgot to mention Lynyrd Skynard as underrated (with Allen Collins being an underrated guitar player).

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Yep! Extremely popular, but dissed by critics and peers alike as being trailer trash music...and they were far more substantial and important than that.

No, they were/are shit. The only thing worse than them actually playing the trash they were known for was them attempting to make a serious album.

You say they did a good job of mixing genres, bs. I can put lots of ingredients into a blender and make a drink nobody has heard of. If it tastes shit, what's the point? You're giving them points for effort, and if we're rating people for trying, then we're rating every band.

I could almost say Durst was almost a genius in his own right...but the fact that most people would laugh at me for saying that is why I think they're underrated...

Actually one of the worst credibility demeaning claims I've seen on these boards.

I've seen some shit, but I've never seen anyone logically claim he's a genius. Some bands genuinely get slated because they are deplorable, and Limp Bizkit are one of those.

-AC

EPIIIBITES
Wow...that's...quite a reaction.

Alpha Centauri
Nothing personal, of course.

I just wanted to get rid of the notion that Fred Durst is a genius as quickly as possible. It's just not a debate worth having.

As far as underrated, I continue to say The White Stripes. They're crazily rated for reasons that don't necessarily make them great, while the things that make them great are overlooked.

-AC

EPIIIBITES
Well, I said "almost" a genius...and "in his own right". I wouldn't dream of putting him up there with Jimi, Lennon, Kurt, and Paige...but in his own way he created something really special I think.

We disagree I guess.

The Core
I think they did a great job fusing rock, rap, and electronic music together (something that could very easily be made a mess of), and really captured the spirit of the pop music scene at the time. In that repect, and as strange as it may sound, they could be comparible to Nirvana (although nowhere near as great a band).

So did Faith No More. Years ago.

Wes is the only underrated element of the band. Sam and John were vanilla, and Fred Durst is trash. A shameless self aggrandizing "artist".

Nobody wrote them off as one hit wonders. They were the biggest band in the world for almost 4 years. Korn's 3rd album was incredibly poppy. They sold out right when they were peaking. Videos about enjoying their spoils. Numerous shameless endorsements, and from then on, they just got weird. What Limp Bizkit did was make a slew of pop songs.

Fred Durst is a great businessman, and a shit artist. It's as simple as that. He helped usher in a terrible era in music which pretty much everyone bought into because grunge had been dead for a decade, and people obviously needed something to identify with.

He's one of the most hated artists in rock history, and for good reason. Limp Bizkit hasn't been relevant for almost a decade now, because they keep trying to make the same music over and over and over again and sell it to a crowd that already graduated high school and moreover graduated from that "style" of "music", if you can call it that.

I used to think Travis Meeks was an *******, then along came Durst.

Nellinator
Anyone else think Lynyrd Skynyrd is underrated? Considering that most people know them for only two or three songs I think they are underrated because they have written a lot of really good stuff.

The Core
I don't think they're underrated as much as I think they're underappreciated. They pretty much put Southern Rock on the map.

Nellinator
Ya, underappreciated is probably a better description of them.

Nellinator
Oh, I just remember Meatloaf (more of a solo artist than a band though)...

luv*kiedis
Wreckless Eric ,Beach Boys ,The Ramones

2D_MASTER
OK im going to bump this thread.

The velvet underground- Most people dont even have any idea who they are or were. They were decades ahead of their time.

The Pixies- tons of bands were influenced by the Pixies. It isnt until recently people have started to realize this.

The Red House Painters- Not so much influential (on the surface), but they were one of those totally forgotten bands of the 90's. They made extremely good music and a lot of it.

Pezmerga
I think King Crimson are underrated.
Also I agree with The White Stripes.
I'm sure there are others, but I don't care really, I like what I like and if they aren't noticed as they should be, then thats the ignorant music listener's problem for missing out.

PONG_MASTER
I agree with The Velvet Underground. But I can't think of two more right now....

Nellinator
Testament is a hidden gem of thrash metal. Imo they are equal to the big four (Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth). I only like Metallica better, unless we consider Diamond Head thrash ('cuz they would be best). Speaking of which... Diamond Head is underrated and Uriah Heep as well.

ragesRemorse
dropkick murphys

social distortion

pcp
Blur seem to have slipped away, in terms of credibility

Nellinator
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
social distortion Definitely.

Violent2Dope
Insane Clown Posse easily.

chillmeistergen
LOL.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
LOL. Lol what?

Victor Von Doom
(He's saying they're shit).

Nellinator
I find it hard to believe that that actually needed clarification.

Violent2Dope
Yeah I could kinda figure that but beyond the violence and obcenity there's a great message with talent to back it up.

ESB -1138
Crush 40!!!!

amity75
The Stranglers are very underrated. They should at least be as big as The Clash. They're a fantastic, clever band.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Nellinator
I find it hard to believe that that actually needed clarification.

(It didn't.)

Nellinator
Allegedly.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Nellinator
Anyone else think Lynyrd Skynyrd is underrated? Considering that most people know them for only two or three songs I think they are underrated because they have written a lot of really good stuff.

A little, yes I do. Other than Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird, a lot of people don't even realize they have other good songs.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.