Movies that deserve Special Edition DVD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
What movies do you think deserve to have a Special edition, Collectors, Deluxe, Extended, or multiple disc sets?

I think all of Stanley Kubrick's films should have them. The original TCM should have a 4 disc Collector Edition (just like Dawn of the Dead). Braveheart should have an anniversary disc set. Oh, and now that PJ is finished with King Kong. He should work on the rumor Grand Special Collectors Edition LOTR Trilogy 14 disc set. More is always good! big grin

What movies do you think deserved it?

MildPossession
Sybil should get one, at least a DVD RELEASE!!!! all I can find it burnt copies avaliable, I want a proper dvd of the film. Wonderful film.

Anyone know if this will get a dvd release?

redcaped
Star Wars Original Trilogy, Terminator 1-2, Robocop Trilogy...as for a CGI fix.

Cinemaddiction
A 4 disc TCM isn't likely, namely because there are 3 cuts of DOTD, which would suppliment a 4 disc release, whereas TCM has one. The Pioneer Special Edition is just fine. That said, there is an R2 TCM 2 disc release.

Star Wars OT SE has been done, it's the boxed set, Terminator got 2 SE releases already, but a 2 disc would be nice, and T2 was released in 3 different 2 Disc Editions, and they absolutely cannot get any better.

Robocop trilogy..meh..the Criterion "Robocop" is grand, and the sequels don't have a big enough following to merit an SE, especially given the Trilogy boxed set was just released.

I'd like to see a SE of "UHF", however.

tabby999
i want to see Peter Jackson go back and package Braindead and Bad Taste in a DVD 2 disk pack. i'm sure he'd get a good reaction from the horror community if he released it

Wolfie
I'd like to see some John Hughes SEs, not some stupid box set that just includes the movies you can buy seperately.

I'd like a SE of Hellraiser III. I love the movie but the current DVD available is just awful.
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I'd like to see a SE of "UHF", however.
I dunno... the current UHF is pretty good already. It's a shame the deleted scenes aren't separated though.

DarkWizard
Excellent DVD topic WD!

The Deer Hunter Finally got it's SE, so I'm happy there.

But I would have to say, Equilbrium needs it's 2 Disc SE.

I'm not sure, But I don't think Memento has a SE.

Also, 'Serenity' Needs a DC.

Solo
Originally posted by DarkWizard
It does.

They need to re-realease A Clockwork Orange's CE.

Off the top of my head, these need the SE treatment:
Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Platoon
The Thin Red Line (1998)
American Beauty
The Pianist
Adaptation
28 Days Later

Cinemaddiction

Hell, yeah, it does. I got it for $4 the other day. It's packaged like the 'Seven" 2 Disc is, except that it's a patient file, complete with notes and a stickypad, lol.

Originally posted by Solo
It does.

They need to re-realease A Clockwork Orange's CE.

Off the top of my head, these need the SE treatment:
Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Platoon
The Thin Red Line (1998)
American Beauty
The Pianist
Adaptation
28 Days Later

ACO, Shining, and FMJ are all getting 2 disc SE's in 2006. The latest release of "Platoon" is an SE, and it's loaded. Also, there is a 3 Disc edition of "The Pianist", which includes the soundtrack. I own it.

DarkWizard
The latest release of "Platoon" is an SE

there is a god

Solo
ACO, Shining, and FMJ are all getting 2 disc SE's in 2006. The latest release of "Platoon" is an SE, and it's loaded. Also, there is a 3 Disc edition of "The Pianist", which includes the soundtrack. I own it.
Thanks, never knew that I owned the Platton SE.....

Nevermind
Kill Bill DVDs in Australia new a MUCH better release. Such as a 2 disc edition.

DarkWizard
Also, This doesn't really fit as a Special Edition. But, you know how they have the SNL best of farley, best of farrel, best of belushi and what not. Well, we need an entire DVD covering all the SNL celebrity Jeopardy's. Good laughs right There, TREBECK!

MildPossession
There is a beautiful region 3 edition that I hope to get in the next few months, have attached a photo of it.

That is a fabulous edition, really glad I have it on dvd.

Wolfie
Also, This doesn't really fit as a Special Edition. But, you know how they have the SNL best of farley, best of farrel, best of belushi and what not. Well, we need an entire DVD covering all the SNL celebrity Jeopardy's. Good laughs right There, TREBECK!
Yeah, with the new set of SNL DVDs, they haven't been doing any that aren't just focused on one person like Presidential Bash 2000 and Game Show Parodies.

And I'd like a Best of Norm Macdonald.

Impediment
The Breakfast Club
Creepshow
Four Rooms
Misery
Murder in the First
Porky's
Scent of a Woman

Nevermind
Originally posted by MildPossession
There is a beautiful region 3 edition that I hope to get in the next few months, have attached a photo of it.

That is a fabulous edition, really glad I have it on dvd.

Pretty droolio.

tabby999
Originally posted by Nevermind
Kill Bill DVDs in Australia new a MUCH better release. Such as a 2 disc edition.

i second that, our versions are shit

WrathfulDwarf
I think only Japan got a kick ass Kill Bill DVD edition. The U.S. version was pretty empty. Needed more...

Wolfie
You know Tarantino is going for the double dip with Kill Bill, just like all of his other movies. He's a good director, but he's greedy and full of himself.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Wolfie
You know Tarantino is going for the double dip with Kill Bill, just like all of his other movies. He's a good director, but he's greedy and full of himself.

Let's be fair.

* For starters, he's only directed 5 movies, and to his credit, "Jackie Brown" was initially released as a 2 disc SE.

* Miramax, not Tarantino himself, oversees the DVD releases of the films they purchase the rights to. Including the extra material.

* Miramax is owned by..surprise, surprise, Disney. If you're not familiar wirh Disney's underhanded tactics when it comes to Home Video and DVD sales, Google "Disney Vault", and see what you get.

As far as Tarantino being full of himself, that's more or less a personal observation, that really shouldn't be taken into account when discussing DVD distribution. I find him to be very selfless, looking at what he's done for the movie industry, and his participation in funding countless movies for others in the U.S.

Nevermind
Let's be fair.

* For starters, he's only directed 5 movies, and to his credit, "Jackie Brown" was initially released as a 2 disc SE.

* Miramax, not Tarantino himself, oversees the DVD releases of the films they purchase the rights to. Including the extra material.

* Miramax is owned by..surprise, surprise, Disney. If you're not familiar wirh Disney's underhanded tactics when it comes to Home Video and DVD sales, Google "Disney Vault", and see what you get.

As far as Tarantino being full of himself, that's more or less a personal observation, that really shouldn't be taken into account when discussing DVD distribution. I find him to be very selfless, looking at what he's done for the movie industry, and his participation in funding countless movies for others in the U.S.

Very True. Nice post.

Wolfie
Let's be fair.

Ah, okay. It's Disney that's greedy, not Tarantino. I didn't realize 'til you said something that Miramax owns all of his movies.

But wasn't there a really old Jackie Brown bare-bones DVD years ago? I could've sworn there was.

Nevermind
But wasn't there a really old Jackie Brown bare-bones DVD years ago? I could've sworn there was.

I think Australia has it. I don't re-call seeing a 2 disc edition of it here.

MildPossession
I could listen to Tarantino talk forever.

DarkWizard
That's why we have a Tarantino forum! eek!

Solo
Very true.

Impediment
So, I guess that it's inevitable that Kill Bill will get the SE treatment, but will it still be as two separate movies, or will volumes 1 and 2 be integrated into one long ass movie and recut? Personally, I hope for the latter.

Cinemaddiction
It's being re-cut for a theatrical re-release, as one movie, with an intermission. DVD will probably be along the same lines. If you ask me, the two movies are too different to try and put together. 1's a balls out revenge flick, 2 is a straight up drama.

BackFire
All of Kubrick's films. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dead Alive, Falling Down, NeverEnding Story, Kill Bill, Better Off Dead, The Elephant Man, Childs Play, In The Mouth Of Madness, Don't Look Now, Braveheart.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Impediment
If you ask me, the two movies are too different to try and put together. 1's a balls out revenge flick, 2 is a straight up drama. I agree, but does that necessarily mean that the two volumes can't be integrated? Can't the two be combined into one, using both drama and revenge, as a whole?

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
Dead Alive, Falling Down, NeverEnding Story, Better Off Dead, The Elephant Man, Childs Play, In The Mouth Of Madness, Braveheart. All of those seems like a plausible ideas. Only...............Better Off Dead? Don't get me wrong I like it, but isn't it a little far fetched for a SE release? I can't think of a valid reason to. LOL. As old school as it is.

BackFire
It's just as deserving as any other movie that get's a SE DVD. It's a great, classic 80's comedy.

Impediment
It's just as deserving as any other movie that get's a SE DVD. It's a great, classic 80's comedy. Yeah, it is. I also like One Crazy Summer, too.

Wolfie
All of Kubrick's films. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dead Alive, Falling Down, NeverEnding Story, Kill Bill, Better Off Dead, The Elephant Man, Childs Play, In The Mouth Of Madness, Don't Look Now, Braveheart.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Dead Alive and Child's Play, YES! I hate that Child's Play is only available in full screen and Dead Alive, my favorite zombie movie, only has a bare-bones edition.

As for TCM, I believe the one with the chainsaw on the cover is considered the "special edition". It came out when the remake did, didn't it?

MildPossession
Just found out that Sybil is getting a 2 disc 30th Anniversary Edition release on May 23rd, so can't wait for that!

BackFire
Dead Alive and Child's Play, YES! I hate that Child's Play is only available in full screen and Dead Alive, my favorite zombie movie, only has a bare-bones edition.

As for TCM, I believe the one with the chainsaw on the cover is considered the "special edition". It came out when the remake did, didn't it?

Yeah, but it's out of print now.

I think TCM deserves at least a 2 disc edition.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Impediment
I agree, but does that necessarily mean that the two volumes can't be integrated? Can't the two be combined into one, using both drama and revenge, as a whole?

I'm sure they could, but the way they were written, it was to the extremes in each. I think Tarantino could throw something together.

Wolfie
Yeah, but it's out of print now.

I think TCM deserves at least a 2 disc edition.
Wow, you're right. Every TCM movie is still in print except the original; that's awful.

BackFire
Wow, you're right. Every TCM movie is still in print except the original; that's awful.

Yeah, it sucks. I have a really old, used DVD of TCM, like the old pioneer version before the black one with the chainsaw, and it's starting to show its age. I want a nice new edition.

WrathfulDwarf
I think both the original An American Tail and The Land Before Time deserved Special Collectors Editions DVD. But not the sequels...all of them were awful and lame.

Wolfie
As I remember the first sequel in both of those series were pretty decent.

WrathfulDwarf
I still prefer the originals. Another film that truly deserves a special edition should be Dirty Harry. Great film! controversial but quite good.

Wolfie
I don't recall much of An American Tail but I remember as a kid loving it when they added the little purple t-rex in Land Before Time 2. I remember getting really tired of it during Part 3 though.

Impediment
The first Land Before Time was cute, and worth a watch, but I don't necessarily think that it deserves a special edition.

WrathfulDwarf
Rumors going around about a 25th anniversary Special Edition for Blade Runner. No release date set...temptative for 2007...I hope.

MildPossession
Finally Antonioni's The Passenger is getting a dvd release, so can't wait for that.

Another I wish would get a dvd release, because it's one of a few Ingmar Bergman films that I have not seen and really really want to, is Face To Face, would love this to be released on dvd. Suppose to be fabulous. Could also release the original cut of it as the tv series also, maybe a double disc package with the film version, and tv series version on discs.

satya_nlu
They need to release

Italian Job
Spy Game
The Recruit

Impediment
I'd like to see a SE of Training Day and The Breakfast Club. Come to think of it, the Bueller Bueller edition of Ferris Bueller's Day Off recently was released, so why wouldn't John Hughes do it with his other movies? I think it'll happen.

redcaped
What do you mean

Wolfie
Originally posted by Impediment
I'd like to see a SE of Training Day and The Breakfast Club. Come to think of it, the Bueller Bueller edition of Ferris Bueller's Day Off recently was released, so why wouldn't John Hughes do it with his other movies? I think it'll happen.
Judging by the features on the Bueller... Bueller... Edition, I don't think John Hughes had anything to do with it.

Impediment
Yyyyyyah, I kinda havta agree there. But I'd still like to see his movies released with some special features rather than the bare bones editions I have (Uncle Buck, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles). But what kind of special features can you have on movies like these other than restrospective docu's and some tributes to John Candy?

Scarecrow756
Beetlejuice deserves a Special Edition.

Wolfie
I'd like a SE of Hellraiser III. I love the movie but the current DVD available is just awful.
August 8, 2006.

I have never been happier to upgrade a DVD.

C-Dic
The R2 "Hellraisers" are infinitely better, and from the looks of it, Anchor Bay is re-releasing the TSN version of 3, which was Fullscreen with no real extras.

Wolfie
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/hellraiser-iii.html

No extras are apparent right now but the article does say it'll be in widescreen.

Impediment
Fist of the North Star needs a SE, IMO. The original anime version, not that shitty live action adaptation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.